Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,547 members, 7,827,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu (22668 Views)

Buhari: Don’t Campaign For Tenure Extension, I’ll Leave Office In 2023 / Why Adamu Can Remain IGP Till 2023 Or 2024 – Buhari, Malami / IGP Adamu Paid N2 Billion For His Tenure Extension — Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by theBLOODofJESUS(f): 9:14pm On Mar 08, 2021

The IGP says his tenure did not end on February 1 as argued

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has told the Federal High Court in Abuja that the law permits him to remain in office till either 2023 or 2024.

He said this in his court documents filed to counter a suit challenging the three-month extension granted him by President Muhammadu Buhari in February.

PREMIUM TIMES on Monday obtained the counter-affidavit and the notice of preliminary objection along with the accompanying documents filed by the IGP through his lawyer, Alex Izinyon, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

Mr Adamu attained the maximum 35 years in service on February 1, but got a three-month extension of his tenure by President Muhammadu Buhari on February 3.

PREMIUM TIMES reported that an Abuja-based lawyer, Maxwell Opara, filed a suit on the same February 3 to challenge the tenure extension.

Mr Opara argued in his suit that by virtue of section 215 of the Nigerian Constitution and section 7 of the Nigeria Police Act, 2020, Mr Adamu could not validly continue to function as the IGP having retired as a member of the Nigeria Police Force as from midnight of February 1, 2021.

‘My tenure didn’t lapse on February 1’

But Mr Adamu argued through his lawyer, in objection to the suit, that his tenure never lapsed on February 1.

The IGP argued that the new Nigeria Police Act gave him a four-year tenure which would only lapse in either 2023 or 2024.

According to him, his tenure will lapse in 2023 if counted from 2019 when he was appointed as the IGP, or 2024, if counted from 2020 when the new Nigeria Police Act came into force.

One of his written addresses reads, in part, “Therefore based on our submission above, the combined effect of Sections 215 and 216 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and Section 7 of the Nigeria Police Act, 2020, is that the 2nd defendant can validly function as the Inspector General of Police atter midnight of February 1, 2021 in so far as he was a serving member of the Nigeria Police Force during the period of his appointment, as his tenure in office is specially regulated by Section 7(6) of the Nigeria Police Act which stipulates in unambiguous terms that upon his appointment he stays in office for four(4) years.

“Therefore, if the 2nd defendant’s tenure in office is calculated from January 15, 2019 when he was appointed into the office of the Inspector General of Police, his tenure lapse in 2023.

“However, if his tenure in office is calculated from 2020 when the Nigeria Police Act, 2020 came into force. his tenure in office ends in 2024.”

‘IGP office is quasi-political, unique, special’
According to Mr Adamu, the IGP office is not governed by the general provisions applicable to the rest of the police force.

He said the provision of “section 18(cool of the Nigeria Police Act, 2020 which is that ‘Every police officer shall, on recruitment or appointment, serve in the Nigeria Police Force for a period of 35 years or until he attains the age of 60 years, whichever is earlier,’ is with due respect, inapplicable to the office of the Inspector General of Police in the circumstance.”

He argued that the effect of section 7(6) of the Nigeria Police Act, 2020 “is that immediately a person is appointed into the office of the Inspector-General of Police, a new legal regime is triggered off.”

He added that from the various provisions of the law, it was “discernible” that “the office of the Inspector-General of Police is conferred with a special status, unique and distinct from other officers of the Nigeria Police force.”

He insisted that the IGP upon appointment “is only accountable to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Nigeria Police Council and this fact we submit makes his office a quasi-political office with a tenure of four (4) years pursuant to Section 7(6) of the Nigeria Police Act, 2020.”

‘Plaintiff not in a position to know’

Mr Adamu also argued through his lawyer that the plaintiff who deposed to the affidavit filed in support of the suit was “not directly in a position to know” if the IGP’s tenure had ended.

The lawyer argued that this was because Mr Opara, the plaintiff, “is clearly not a staff member of the 2nd defendant (IGP) and the Nigeria Police Force.”

“He failed woefully to state in his affidavit how he got the information that the 2nd defendant had retired from the Nigeria police. He also failed woefully to tender any document to support his claim,” the IGP’s court document added.

The IGP also argued through Mr Izinyon, that President Buhari did not abdicate his duty by not immediately naming a new IGP on February 1.

Preliminary objection

Mr Adamu also argued in his suit that the suit by Mr Opara was not competent to be heard on merit.

He urged the court to dismiss the suit at t the preliminary stage on among other grounds that , the plaintiff “lacks the locus standi to institute this sunt.”

He also contended that the Federal High Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the suit since its subject matter is related “to employment and condition of service of the 2nd defendant.”

According to him, by virtue of section 254(c)(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) only the National Industrial Court has the jurisdiction to hear the suit.

Plaintiff’s prayers

Mr Opara sought, among others, in his suit, an order directing Mr Adamu to stop functioning as the IGP.

He asked the court to hold that the failure of Mr Buhari and the Nigeria Police Council (NPC) to name a new IGP on February 1 when Mr Adamu was said to have completed his tenure amounted to abdication of duty.

He therefore urged the court to compel President Buhari and the NPC to immediately appoint a new IGP.

The plaintiffs sued the President, Mr Adamu, the Attorney-General of the Federation, and the NPC as the defendants.

PREMIUM TIMES could not confirm if others, aside Mr Adamu, had filed their response to the suit.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/447652-tenure-extension-i-can-remain-in-office-till-2023-or-2024-adamu.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Lyrics269: 9:17pm On Mar 08, 2021
Wahala no dey finish for naija

6 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Racoon(m): 9:19pm On Mar 08, 2021
See the failed IGP.This is the law itself acting lawless before the law.Someone whose tenure has expired? This present govt have been turning everything upside down hence giving mediocres who have no business in any office of responsibility the gut to insult the sensibility of sane Nigerians.

See what Buhari's flair for impunity, lawlessness, illegality and lack of respect for law and order have turned the IGP into? Someone that made an illegal recruitment of about 10000 constables that a law court rendered void but which decision he has refused to obey.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by ZKOSOSO(m): 9:20pm On Mar 08, 2021
No be ya fault sha......! Na Nepotist Buhari cause am

Tinubu too for helping Buhari to Aso Rock.

Buhari wey suppose be Almajiri school teacher with koboko for hand flogging Quran into their skulls. Come become president.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by anuoluwapo884(m): 9:21pm On Mar 08, 2021
See what Nigeria is becoming imagine when his not your father property ehn, this Government is the most worthless govt ever in the history of our drear country he's even proud when there is a rule of law that govern everyone what a lawless set of leaders

19 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by anuoluwapo884(m): 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2021
ZKOSOSO:
No be ya fault sha......!
Na Tinubu I blame for helping Buhari to Aso Rock.

Pesin wey suppose be Almajiri school teacher with koboko for hand flogging Quran into their skulls. Come become president.

You have said it all at times there are some dream you need to give up in other to save people's life, let's just imagine The president gave up on his ambition to be a president instead of contesting several times before winning I know we won't be here hearing this today and we won't be in this dilemma currently.

8 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by JAMO4REAL1(m): 9:36pm On Mar 08, 2021
u go dey see many things like this when leader is no more sorry for N......., were spoke man to the president said whatever he say Na final, First Lady run away, baba body dey change colour everyday, Coca-Cola and fanta, I no mention name ooo
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 08, 2021
Even when the top security officer of the police doesn't obey the law.Whereas,he wants to enforce the same law upon Nigerians.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by FalseProphet1(m): 10:27pm On Mar 08, 2021
I see top civil servants refusing to retire from office. I see them clinging onto their various positions for the sole purpose of embezzlement. This I have seen.

4 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by FREEMADNESS: 10:28pm On Mar 08, 2021
u can remain in office for as long as u wish because it is ur father's property abi na monarchy we dey practice for Nigerian police force

this Buhari regime have nothing to offer only SORROWS, TEARS, AND BLOOD.

BUT E NO GO BE OUR PORTION. NA HIM FULANI BLOODAS

3 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
He must be power-drunk angry. What is he doing in that office that any other can't do?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by paulolee(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
so disappointed...dts too short na, mayb u mean to stay till 2045..

4 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Sonnobax15(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
lipsrsealed
Na today I know where the lawlessness and corruption for our NPF evolve from...

Very senseless entities

2 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
buhari the dullard doesn’t follow the constitution

2 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by DropsMic(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
Won't come as a surprise... We are blacks afterall.

2 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by aremuforlife(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
Although, the president may decide to keep him in power, but it will dignify him if he retire at the right time.
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by LilyColin(f): 10:30pm On Mar 08, 2021
Yes now based on say na your birthright.

See the useless people the hungry youths are defending on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by careytommy37(m): 10:31pm On Mar 08, 2021
Just say 2025 as na political office
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Thetruthshallse(m): 10:31pm On Mar 08, 2021
Buhari is a TERRORIST!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Chonco: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2021
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Anyiamaka: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2021
Mr IG! If your tenure did not elapse on February 1st, 2021; why did they give you 3 months tenure extension?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by LibertyRep: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2021
If Nigeria survives Buhari, it will take the next president rigorous effort to right the wrongs.

8 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Ghostmode2two(m): 10:33pm On Mar 08, 2021
He should be IGP for life that is his problem. Bloody mofo
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Tundex911: 10:33pm On Mar 08, 2021
9ja

What a pity

1 Like

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by EyezofGod120: 10:35pm On Mar 08, 2021
grin
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by potbelly(m): 10:36pm On Mar 08, 2021
Because na you put yourself there abi... undecided
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2021
Buhari is retaining this man to do is bidding come 2023. But they will fail woefully.

We are already dancing to the downfall of Buhari here in Coven 2.

Me: Akpos, turn small Buhari blood for me

4 Likes

Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by eMJPossibility(m): 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2021
At the end of the day make depression kill you like never before... See him using counterfeit constitutional law favoring himself because of what...?

In the process of service you end in depression because nothing new under the sun to you anymore

Call me to order
If I'm not making sense
Thank you
Re: Tenure Extension: I Can Remain In Office Untill 2023 Or 2024 — IGP Adamu by Femeto: 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2021
Drunkard of a man. Na your papa house abi? I don't blame you I blame the incompetent Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saraki Asks State Assemblies To Block Pension Of Ex Governors / President Buhari Arrives Jos, Plateau State For A 2-Day Visit (Photos) / DSS Should Recommend Pantami’s Sack Now — CSO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.