Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) (57185 Views)

Nigerian Stowaways Filmed Hiding In A Europe-Bound Ship On The Sea (Pics/Video) / Ibom Air Confirms Enugu As Next Landing Destination (Photos) / The Moment A Ship Sank In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by DedeNkem: 2:59am On Mar 11, 2021
These id*iots don't know that the platform they're sitting on isn't stationary.

What they're sitting on is a tanker’s rudder. The rudder moves in the direction of lower pressure. As the rudder goes, so goes the stern, and the ship turns.

It is a very dangerous place to stay due to the gaint blade under them.. If that doesn't kill them, a heavy storm could. And if by any means the ship capsizes they will be the first to die!

Nigeria is so bad that people are ready to risk their lives to escape!

1 Like

Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Michaelmercy(m): 3:52am On Mar 11, 2021
uptimum123:

My apologies... this particular ship was mistook for another, learnt it was later intercepted.

But the the guys on picture attached made it to Spain

https://mobile.twitter.com/emmanuel_enel/status/1369227867620597761
Which Spain? Check the live video by Lagos Anchorage on gossipmillnaija Instagram page. they were still in Nigeria
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by pfadom: 4:53am On Mar 11, 2021
There are more than 1000 ways to die.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by slodot2000: 5:09am On Mar 11, 2021
This is one of the most stupid and dumbest suicide mission I have ever seen in my life.

Sure death � before they reach the 9th nautical miles into the sea...

What a pity! That's how people get missing and they are never found.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Eteka1(m): 6:27am On Mar 11, 2021
Ignorance! Rather than kill yourself that way, wash car for Lagos hold-up. You go survive.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by SEGLIZ: 7:12am On Mar 11, 2021
thesicilian:

For the 1 or 2 that manage to survive, it will be absolutely worth it. People have survived much harsher conditions at sea

chairman we don declare 'Mayday' for those guy if only they can be rescued.
a man caught in the act has better chance of survival than this one's o. I don't see them any surviving this only if this was a movie.
giving a man or men sitting on a rudder and twin propulsion a survival instinct is more of encouragement to suicide. bros e no worth ham, na die be for that salt water, special meal for salt water fish.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by thesicilian: 7:15am On Mar 11, 2021
SEGLIZ:

chairman we don declare 'Mayday' for those guy if only they can be rescued.
a man caught in the act has better chance of survival than this one's o. I don't see them any surviving this only if this was a movie.
giving a man or men sitting on a rudder and twin propulsion a survival instinct is more of encouragement to suicide. bros e no worth ham, na die be for that salt water, special meal for salt water fish.
ok
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Ceenacks(m): 7:30am On Mar 11, 2021
They may actualy hv a plan, well calculated by them prior to that simple perch.
Anyway, i believ so. They r bold being near water lk dat. So they hv experience wt water, and shd be unwise to be there without plan.
Think beyong ur sight. They may produce a rope and do some climbing.

1 Like

Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Metronomy(m): 8:36am On Mar 11, 2021
Abeg.....the picture shows the ship is not moving.....a stationed vessel
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by cardoctor(m): 9:18am On Mar 11, 2021
Unbelievable
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by RaptorX: 9:20am On Mar 11, 2021
TheFalcons:

grin tell me you're joking.

If you truly believe this, please my brother. Change your thought process today, Because I don't want to read someday that you died while stowing away.

When people stow away, it's usually in places like the Ship's engine room or in the cargo hold

In the position where they're sitting, they stand no chance. They can easily fall off the rudder and be drawn into the massive propellers.

Let's even say they survive, The ship's crew usually search the ship before they leave port, then they'll stop some miles away from the harbour (Trying to fool any stowaways into thinking they've arrived their destination) Here they do a second search. They third search is done just before they get to their next port.

The reason being that stowaways are usually a costly and persistent problem for sea faring vessels. The penalties are usually very steep if a vessel records discovering a stowaway.

Most Captains like to kill stowaways, so your chances of being found and clothed, then given a job, some pocket money and all that nonsense you wrote up there is less than 0
Can you imagine the guy saying stowaways are given accommodation and jobs.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by charlesucheh(m): 9:58am On Mar 11, 2021
thesicilian:
Any which way na way. In other words, get rich or die trying.
Hah! NooooooO! this one is too risky....

haba! this is cheap drowning... will they seat there for two Nights they won't survive it...laye!!!
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Funkybabee(f): 9:46pm On Mar 11, 2021
NicoKator:
Reading through the comments, I saw people saying the wave or ravaging ocean waves would flush them into the water, that the guys cannot survive but these comments are definitely from people who know nothing about the structural design of Ships. I'm a Sailor and I can confidently tell you that those guys were just sitting and waiting on the Ship's Rudder while the Ship was in the Port, Anchorage or Dock Waters, the moment the Ship set sail, the guys will go into a Compartment where the Rudder Trunk is(that section of the Ship is above their head), from that Rudder Trunk compartment there is no way they can get access to the main Compartments in the Ship housing the Engine Room and other machinery spaces but they can stay in the Rudder Trunk compartment till the Ship gets to the next Port of Call while they survive on the little food rations they normally carry in their bags. Aside that there is a Manhole from the Rudder Trunk compartment to other machinery spaces in the Ship but that Manhole is always butted and screw-tight, no human force can open it from the Rudder Trunk end where the guys are, so in most cases they start to hit the Iron Cover of the manhole when the Ship had sailed after about 3days or more, the hitting create huge noise making the Ship crew to know that Stowaways are inside the Rudder Trunk (by that some Captains would order for the space to be opened or they report to authorities), but there is a regulation by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) not to do them any harm nor maltreat them, any Ship reported doing otherwise will be sanctioned, it's a serious issue, so even when the Stowaways are found onboard they are always pampered, receive any possible good treatment till Authorities come to pick them. Please note that these Stowaways understand everything about where the Ship is going, they know when the Ship is going to set sail, some even pay money to Agents or informants who have a pre-departure information about the Ship.

wow

make I come find work on ship niyen

1 Like

Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by poseidonsaiz(m): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2021
TheFalcons:

If you truly believe this, please my brother. Change your thought process today, Because I don't want to read someday that you died while stowing away.

When people stow away, it's usually in places like the Ship's engine room or in the cargo hold

In the position where they're sitting, they stand no chance. They can easily fall off the rudder and be drawn into the massive propellers.

Let's even say they survive, The ship's crew usually search the ship before they leave port, then they'll stop some miles away from the harbour (Trying to fool any stowaways into thinking they've arrived their destination) Here they do a second search. They third search is done just before they get to their next port.

The reason being that stowaways are usually a costly and persistent problem for sea faring vessels. The penalties are usually very steep if a vessel records discovering a stowaway.

Most Captains like to kill stowaways, so your chances of being found and clothed, then given a job, some pocket money and all that nonsense you wrote up there is less than 0

I was almost tempted to get my friend who's taken this same route to the UK involved but, naa... I'll leave you to thy ignorance.
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by poseidonsaiz(m): 9:31pm On Mar 12, 2021
[quote author=TheFalcons post=99781522]

Most Captains like to kill stowaways, so your chances of being found and clothed, then given a job, some pocket money and all that nonsense you wrote up there is less than 0[/q

Whatever rocks your boat chief...

FYI, if u wanna talk to a real life stoway brother of mine doing quite well now in the UK to change your defined persective of what's really going on, let me know..
Re: Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) by Funflipper: 7:53am On Mar 14, 2021
thesicilian:
Any which way na way. In other words, get rich or die trying.

And in a matter of hours, they probably might be at the bottom of the sea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What I Learnt After Visiting The Brazilian Presidential Palace(photos, Video) / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! / Have You Heard About The Alien Stone Found In Sierra Leone, West Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.