Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT (16997 Views)

Petrol: Lagos Fuel Stations Shut Down Over Speculation Of Pump Price Hike / IPMAN Directs Closure Of All Fuel Stations In Oyo / Fuel Scarcity: Have Fuel Queues Returned In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by AFvckingAlpha(m): 11:04am On Mar 10, 2021
The fvck

Niggarr!!
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Elsueno: 11:09am On Mar 10, 2021
Maxymilliano:
There was a hidden plan by the Government to increase the pump price of petrol to 206 per litre, the information was brought to the notice of the marketers. The marketers, not to be caught unaware, had to resort to the artificial scarcity, while waiting for the government line of action.

Caught unaware with what exactly, aren't they going to sell at the new price ? . It's just thier usual greed, they want to store the cheap fuel to sell at the new higher prices. Well, the marketers greed aside, if the government wasn't incompetent this won't have happened
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Tvoice: 11:10am On Mar 10, 2021
D driver of this country don drive dis country get accident, some of the passengers don injure , some dey hospital, some die for end SARS , some still dey reason weda na d change wey dem ask for be dis , but my own be say , make dem no complain , den warn dem about dis fake change , dem no hear, dem dey shout sai baba sai baba, but na who we go kon trust ? PDP use umbrella take pack our money APC use broom sweep am from PDP put for dia pocket, so abeg who we wan come trust for 2023 after weitin our eyez don see ?

1 Like

Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Boss13: 11:12am On Mar 10, 2021
I noticed there is always fuel scarcity in Nigeria each year. I also understand from friends who owns fuel stations that scarcity period is the happiest in the business.
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 10, 2021
Boss13:
I noticed there is always fuel scarcity in Nigeria each year. I also understand from friends who owns fuel stations that scarcity period is the happiest in the business.

That's because they earn enough money to balance their books after selling at a loss throughout the year.

All this would have ended if the government allowed the marketer to set the price of petrol as they deem fit. While that would mean price increases, it may drive more interest in refining petrol at home which means increased production of petrol and low prices eventually

And no need to resort to sharp practices like scarcity or fuel smuggling

Venezuela sells fuel at the equivalent of40 naira per liter .Meanwhile they lose 18 billion dollars annually to smuggling of fuel to other countiees that don't have subsidies
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by thatsleepboy1: 11:29am On Mar 10, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see a ploy by the government to continue milking hungry Nigerians, I see part of these hungry Nigerians hailing the government and encouraging them to continue milking them, I see this particular hungry group fight and attacking geninue Nigerians who are angry and decide to speak up against the government suffocation, I see more suffering ahead. This I have seen.

I've PMed you concerning prayers and you've not replied me. I need prayers pls.

my email is dja......ko....715@gmail.com
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 10, 2021
Some of those lifting petrol today paid between N162 and N163, and they paid weeks ago,” an official told this reporter at the entrance of the depot. “How do you want them to sell at N163 at the pump level?”

He explained further that the uncertainties account for the refusal of many depots to sell petrol to marketers, amid poor oversight by regulatory officials.

“There is even no petrol right now as I speak to you, and that’s why Nigerians now contend with queues, scarcity, and increase in prices,” he said.

When this reporter posed as a potential marketer, another official agreed to source petrol product at depots located around the Coconut axis of Apapa. After making some calls, he insisted however that the only depot owner that agreed to supply the product could only sell at N162.

At one of the depots around Abule-Ado, an official said he would only agree to sell petrol at N160.5 upon seeing our reporter’s trucks.

At the bolded is the real reason why there is scarcity.

So, in essence, marketers are selling at a loss. And unless government increases subsidy payments...not possible with low funds....the option left is to deregulate totally
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by AsawanaDgreat: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2021
There must be reason in everything
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by egopersonified(f): 11:35am On Mar 10, 2021
Godarz:
Es

Oil subsidy must go. Baroness Chalker in 1993, Obasanjo in 2006 and GEJ, NOI and SLS were right in 2012. Stop the subsidy. Let marketers control prices. Let investment flow in and let new refineriea be built as a result of it being profotable to do so

Same thing was said about rice and border closure. Nigerian rice is 22k now. It was 26k before the borders were 'opened' few months ago. All these economies of scale doesn't work in Nigeria. Let's find out own theories and work with them.
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 10, 2021
egopersonified:

Same thing was said about rice and border closure. Nigerian rice is 22k now. It was 26k before the borders were 'opened' few months ago. All these economies of scale doesn't work in Nigeria. Let's find out own theories and work with them.

1.Economics surrounding rice is different from oil subsidy/fuel price

First...government was not controlling the price of rice or subsidizing rice

Second, rice production in Nigeria was not high enough to meet domestic need, hence the price increase when the borders closed.

2.The problem with oil subsidy is that due to changes in price, year in and year out the amount of money needed to make petrol cheap keeps on going up...and it is one of the reasons why we go into debt...and get our reserves drained.

4 trillion was spent keeping petrol prices low between 2010-16, money that could have been used for other things. Or saved.

1 Like

Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Numerouno94(m): 12:08pm On Mar 10, 2021
I tot nairaland zombies said since Buhari came Nigerians no longer xperience queues at fuel stations?

Last week i had to pull over nd brought out my 25litrs, i queued for over an hour b4 i was attended to.
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Posts: 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2021
everything is now very expensive and 1000 naira has lost alot of value. you can't buy much with it
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by PHijo(m): 2:02pm On Mar 10, 2021
rawtouch:
sad

it is unsustainable to regulate market forces and fix prices for goods you do not produce and therefore do not have any form of control over

For close to 40 years the NLC and Nigeria's left masked as 'progressives' have refused to learn.
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 10, 2021
rawtouch:
sad

it is unsustainable to regulate market forces and fix prices for goods you do not produce and therefore do not have any form of control over

It is the same for goods we produce which is why we got into the situation where our refinereis don't work

But the sad thing is, Nigerians want cheap fuel. Even at the expense of our economy...
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by Cashify: 4:59pm On Mar 10, 2021
No reason
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by cooltola(m): 6:19pm On Mar 10, 2021
Is there any good news out there in Nigeria? Too many bad news
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by PHijo(m): 6:25pm On Mar 10, 2021
Godarz:

It is the same for goods we produce which is why we got into the situation where our refinereis don't work

But the sad thing is, Nigerians want cheap fuel. Even at the expense of our economy...

The irony is that it has never been cheap in the Ijaw and Itsekiri communities where a large chunk of the oil comes from. We never enjoyed the "subsidy ".
Re: Real Reasons Petrol Scarcity, Queues Returned To Nigerian Fuel Stations- PT by meobizy(f): 7:15am On Mar 14, 2021
My Leggedes Benz still work. My needed fuel is akpu and a bottle of water. The more I leg, the better I get at legging. If not for NEPA, nothing for concern me with fuel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof Toriola Ajagbe SAN Dies At 91: Don Who Became SAN At 90 Is Dead / Reno Omokri Lands US TV Deal / Sheriff Moves Out Of Wadata House, Congratulates Makarfi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.