Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,139 members, 7,829,071 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (9506 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by THEAMAKA(f): 5:44am On Apr 28, 2011
otokx:

that port wont be functional in the next 8 years, lets not lie to ourselves.

NEXT!!

@topic, what happened to that governor that said he wants to transform Anambra into Dubai? lol
with Anambra's location and economic potential, the idea doesn't seem far fetched.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by otokx(m): 5:54am On Apr 28, 2011
he was not a governor, he was imaginning the money he will steal and go to dubai like IBORI
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by THEAMAKA(f): 5:55am On Apr 28, 2011
otokx:

he was not a governor, he was imaginning the money he will steal and go to dubai like IBORI
supposed governor? whoever he was, you know who I'm talking about.
now can i get a name? tongue
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by otokx(m): 5:59am On Apr 28, 2011
soludo
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by presido1: 8:36am On Apr 28, 2011
Hahahahaha Ezeagu u rocks for the blanking. cool cool cool
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Onlytruth(m): 5:54am On Apr 05, 2012
While searching for something else, I ran into this old thread (approx one year old).
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Kilode1: 6:12am On Apr 05, 2012
What's up with the port??
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EkoIle1: 6:15am On Apr 05, 2012
Poor AGIPA people...

Airport na abandon building with ladder and ribbon, canoe port na domiciliary for reptiles and abode for stray village goats...

Suxcs to be AGIPA for real

SMH....
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:36am On Apr 26, 2012
Kilode?!:
What's up with the port??

^^^Onitsha River port ready in May – Minister

There is light at the end of the tunnel for businessmen and those who like to travel by sea as the Onitsha River Port will come to live in May this year.

The Onitsha Port cargo handling point

Transport minister, Senator Idris Umar disclosed this yesterday while answering questions from senior editors of several newspapers and broadcast organisations at the 19th Leadership Forum organised by the Nigerian Pilot Newspaper/Newsworld magazine in Abuja.

He said the port, which ought to have been commissioned for use before the end of last year, would definitely be commissioned and opened for use in May. He paid tribute to the builders, Interbau Nigeria Ltd, for a good job on the port.

“The project is about 97 percent complete now. And we are working at getting Mr. President to commission it and declare it open for use in May,” he said.

Disclosing reasons the earlier envisaged opening date was shifted, Sen. Umar said that there were discoveries of some details that had not been taken into consideration leading to a shift in commissioning date to allow the builders more time to make up.

“I did promise that it would be commissioned before the end of last year. But I discovered that the stacking area was inadequate for a port of that magnitude. So, we had to increase the stacking area to increase the capacity of the port in that regard. We also discovered that it had no gate and no power generator. So, we had to extend the time to ensure that these things were provided.

“Three weeks ago, I took a memo to council for augmentation for the project. Now, it is about 97 percent complete. We have reports to that effect from the Inland Waterways Authority and from the consultants. Our officials are also going there on Thursday for inspection before we commission it.

“We want to commission it for use in line with Mr. President’s directive that every project must be ready for commissioning to use, not to commission and shut it down,” he said, adding that the dredging of River Niger is now complete and the river navigable.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=onitsha%20river%20port&source=web&cd=9&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftransformationwatch.com%2F2012%2F03%2F22%2Fonitsha-river-port-ready-in-may-minister%2F&ei=H6OYT6KOKsb64QSD6JnFBg&usg=AFQjCNEk124IwlQCxDmu4pgiG0r6FxpENQ

I'm keeping an eye on these guys and their statements. Let's see what excuse they'll give if the President doesn't commission the Port next month. smiley

Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by jason123: 10:42am On Apr 26, 2012
. . .God willing . . .
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
Nigeria: Onitsha River Port Ready for Operation
By Shehu Abubakar, 7 June 2012Comment

Onitsha — Onitsha River Port in Anambra state which was rehabilitated and expanded to serve as a port of departure and embarkation of passengers and goods using the River Niger is now fully operational and equipped to standard.

Architect Ahmed Aminu Yar'adua, Managing Director of the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), disclosed this while conducting members of the House of Representatives Committee on Marine Transport on a tour of the River Niger to ascertain ongoing dredging and construction of river ports along the river bank.

Yar'adua told the members that though the rehabilitation work at the river port was 97 percent completed and the port was yet to be taken over from the contractor, Nigerians were eager to utilize the facility.

He said that contract for the rehabilitation of the Onitsha River Port Complex, supply and installation of cargo handling equipment including the construction of gang way, transit shed, rehabilitation of warehouse, launching berth, outdoor storage areas, construction of administrative block, staff quarters and independent water supply facility was awarded and nearing completion.

He said the entire contract was awarded to an indigenous construction company, Inter-Bau at the total sum of N4,666,481,591.90 and has been paid the entire sum remaining about N800 million, adding, "The contractor has since sank a 150mm borehole with elevated water tank and water treatment unit.

He has also completed work on the nine senior staff quarters, 11 junior staff quarters and the complete rehabilitation of the port security and police post buildings." "The contractor has also completed the rehabilitation of the transit shed for passengers, warehouse, fire brigade building, electrified all of them and rehabilitated the drainage system.

He has constructed a new port operation building, rehabilitated the gang way, procured and installed the port cargo handling equipment which include one 50 tons roll trailer, two 48 and 32 tons forklifts and a 50 tons reach stacker.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=onitsha%20river%20port&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallafrica.com%2Fstories%2F201206070490.html&ei=XtHsT9igIaml0QWQ5e36DA&usg=AFQjCNEprZ4qZdx2kc6IkJ93Jp_4Hdv-kQ

I'm still keeping an eye on this project, even if everyone else seems to have forgotten about it. We were told after the commissioning date was moved from may that a few things were still left to be done, and that Mr President would commission the project in June. So by my calculations, we have a little over 48 hours left.

The MD of NIWA, Alhaji Yar'radua is on record to have said that the port is already in operation, so i'd like any Onitsha bruhs to please help with pics of the whole set-up. [b]I expect to see a bustling and busy port [/b]since we've been told it's already in use and is for passengers as well as goods.

Let this not be like the case of Enugu airport that GEJ commissioned for int'l flights way back in 2010, which is presently anything but 'international' despite numerous closures for upgrades and renovations since his unfortunate visit.

So PICS please. smiley
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Onlytruth(m): 11:49pm On Jun 28, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

I'm still keeping an eye on this project, even if everyone else seems to have forgotten about it. We were told after the commissioning date was moved from may that a few things were still left to be done, and that Mr President would commission the project in June. So by my calculations, we have a little over 48 hours left.

The MD of NIWA, Alhaji Yar'radua is on record to have said that the port is already in operation, so i'd like any Onitsha bruhs to please help with pics of the whole set-up. I expect to see a bustling and busy port [/b]since we've been told it's already in use and is for passengers as well as goods.

[b]Let this not be like the case of Enugu airport that GEJ commissioned for int'l flights way back in 2010
, which is presently anything but 'international' despite numerous closures for upgrades and renovations since his unfortunate visit.

So PICS please. smiley

Thank you my brother.
Our Onitsha based brothers, over to you. We need pictures!
Thanks in advance. wink
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EkoIle1: 11:58pm On Jun 28, 2012
lmao....
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ayo011: 6:34am On Jun 29, 2012
THE AMAKA:

NEXT!!

with Anambra's location and economic potential, the idea doesn't seem far fetched.

You are right on point. Geographically the state is well positioned to be the Dubai of Nigeria
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:12am On Jun 29, 2012
otokx: that port wont be functional in the next 8 years, lets not lie to ourselves.

^^^I don't blame you for being cynical about this 'project'. You made this prediction more than a year ago, based on what you know of Nigeria and how things operate (everything is enmeshed in politics and deceit; esp' if you don't have the 'right people' in the 'right places'), and sadly events ever since are proving you right.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:24am On Jun 29, 2012
THE AMAKA:

NEXT!!

@topic, what happened to that governor that said he wants to transform Anambra into Dubai? lol
otokx: he was not a governor, he was imaginning the money he will steal and go to dubai like IBORI
THE AMAKA:
supposed governor? whoever he was, you know who I'm talking about.
now can i get a name? tongue
otokx: soludo

^^^I guess both of you, one year latter and in the cold light of day, now don't see Soludo as such a bad option after all wink.

We allowed sentiments and stubborn political allegiance to becloud our sense of better judgement, and are now living with the consequences.

Serves us right! Shikena!
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:46am On Jun 29, 2012
Onlytruth:

Thank you my brother.
Our Onitsha based brothers, over to you. We need pictures!
Thanks in advance. wink

^^^You're welcome bruh. The fact of the matter is that a half-hearted approach has been used thus far in tackling the twin issues of Onitsha river port and Enugu (international grin) airport.

Any casual observer would think the South East has been favoured over and above other regions/zones since the early 70's to the extent that now giving them special attention for a viable/world-class air and river port would be cheating others and giving them much more than they deserve. Go figure!

Personally, i feel the President means well for Ndigbo, but he's afraid if he gives us the adequate attention we rightly deserve, backed up with adequate funds and commitment, then others will get badbelle and complain that Ijaws and Igbos have hijacked the country.......unfortunately he doesn't have the balls to do it.

PS- Onlytruth and i are still waiting for pics of the 'busy' Onitsha port that the federal gov't has told us is fully operational and would be commissioned by the President in june. Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Taraba Declares Indefinite Curfew Over Looting / 2023: Candidates Must Declare Bank Assets - INEC / Bandits Kill Five Residents, Burn Police Station, Sack Communities In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.