Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (9500 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Chyz2: 11:58pm On Apr 12, 2011
[size=15pt]Onitsha port ready for operation-FG[/size]

From EMMANUEL UZOR, Onitsha

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Federal Government has said the Onitsha port is ready for operation to ease transportation stress and reduce the sufferings of importers in the South-east zone of the country.

Speaking yesterday at Onitsha during the International Stakeholders’ Conference on “Harnessing the potentials of lower River Niger,” the Minister for Transport, Alhaji Yusuf Suleiman said the port had been concluded to start operation by June this year.
According to Alhaji Suleiman, the port would among other things reduce the sufferings of the importers in the country and enhance the economic activities in the country, adding that importers would not be subjected to untold sufferings they had faced in the other ports.

“Onitsha is the centre of commerce and industry and this part of the country is very essential and that is why the Federal Government decided to hold the summit here it would enable it know the extent the dredging of the lower Niger has gone.”

“The National Inland Waterway Authority will work in collaboration with the private sectors to make sure the port and other infrastructure are sustained and maintained so that our people will maximize the gains of democracy.”

Also speaking, the state Governor, Peter Obi said the dredging of the lower River Niger and the completion of the Onitsha Port was very critical to his administration’s resolve to industrialize the state.
Governor Obi, however, lauded the Federal Government for expeditiously concluding the projects of Onitsha port, which he said would enhance industrialization in the state and the country at large.
He called on foreign investors and traders in Onitsha market to maximize the port for effective transportation of their goods and services and expressed worries over the cost at the country’s ports.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/apr/12/national-12-04-2011-015.htm
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 12:00am On Apr 13, 2011
good smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Chyz2: 12:01am On Apr 13, 2011
It's surprising how this story comes out the week of the presidential election.  undecided
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 12:06am On Apr 13, 2011
Chyz*:

It's surprising how this story comes out the week of the presidential election.  undecided

probably a way to get the SE votes for jonathan undecided

hope the story is true; not that after jonathan wins he starts saying it is not quite complete yet
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by jason123: 12:17am On Apr 13, 2011
Chyz*:

You just dey know?? LOL!!! Wait till after the election . . .
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Rossikk(m): 12:34am On Apr 13, 2011
Does that mean that Onitsha will finally begin to have a skyline?  smiley

Great!!

Onitsha in 2020!

wink
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 12:39am On Apr 13, 2011
^^^^

i hope so ooo wink

so i can even build a house and farm there smiley
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ak47mann(m): 12:57am On Apr 13, 2011
Alj Uche:

^^^^

i hope so ooo wink

so i can even build a house and farm there smiley

are you a farmer?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by alex101(m): 3:27am On Apr 13, 2011
I hope this is true. I'm tired of shipping through that Yoruba port in slum-infested lagos
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EzeUche(m): 3:44am On Apr 13, 2011
alex101:

I hope this is true. I'm tired of shipping through that Yoruba port in slum-infested lagos

Agreed. . . International airport in Enugu and Asaba. A port in Onitsha. What more can we Igbos ask for from PDP?
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by alex101(m): 4:05am On Apr 13, 2011
EzeUche:

Agreed. . . International airport in Enugu and Asaba. A port in Onitsha. What more can we Igbos ask for from PDP?

Exactly! We easterners have to start moving our wealth/businesses back east. It's simple,,,,,,,,,,make money in other regions, but don't develop those regions. We should stop buying/building houses in other people's region.

This is why I love those Nnewi and Aba business men. Most of their major businesses are stationed in the east. cool
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 4:48am On Apr 13, 2011
ak47mann:

are you a farmer?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

must i be farmer to invest in farming for myself undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 4:49am On Apr 13, 2011
alex101:

this is where i really get annoyed with you imposter claiming to be igbos

what has Yoruba got to do with this

i bet they are even tried of us sef undecided
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by AljUche: 4:50am On Apr 13, 2011
alex101:

Exactly! We easterners have to start moving our wealth/businesses back east. It's simple,,,,,,,,,,make money in other regions, but don't develop those regions. We should stop buying/building houses in other people's region.

This is why I love those Nnewi and Aba business men. Most of their major businesses are stationed in the east. cool

i agree with this one
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EzeUche(m): 3:34pm On Apr 13, 2011
Let us all celebrate this if it is indeed true. Igbos it is time to come home. Our region is open for business. Two int'l airports, a port in Onitsha and Port Harcourt, vibrant cities such as Onitsha, Enugu, Owerri and soon Aba.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EzeUche(m): 3:38pm On Apr 13, 2011
Enugu City

Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ak47mann(m): 4:13pm On Apr 13, 2011
igbos i think they are getting their grounds gradually soon with these sea port in onitsha they will develope the eastern region like fast smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley importers will stop driving to Lagos port to clear their goods waaoow more value to properties close to onitsha sea port my friend owns 6 duplex a place call housing estate very nice place near the port mann his luck man
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Beaf: 4:24pm On Apr 13, 2011
The port will lead to the opening up of routes between Warri and Lokoja on the Niger River, cos that will be the cheapest way to mass transport goods.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Demdem(m): 4:30pm On Apr 13, 2011
How frequently used is the warri port ?
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by slap1(m): 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2011
Umu nne m, were nu nwayo ka ofe roro aro zuoro anyi nri.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by komando77(m): 7:01pm On Apr 13, 2011
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by komando77(m): 7:08pm On Apr 13, 2011
The ships that will berth in onitsha soonest, will they fly? In case we have forgotten, let us remember that the Niger has not been dredged.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 13, 2011
port is ready for operation?

so where are the pictures?

i hope this is not going to be like that delta airport?
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by chino11(m): 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2011
With Onitsha port completed and Anambra International Cargo Airport coming soon, then Anambra and SE at large is set to compete with Europe,
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 18, 2011
A good one from FG,

What of Anambra state Gov.? Whats her development plan?

What are we putting in place to ensure we won't need to dredge the Niger again in 20 years time. The Initial loss of the Niger was a sore mistake.

In my mind the SOUTH East states, Especailly Anambra and Imo, should push for a sustainable design of the tranport system,
We need water gates to further raise the water depth,
We also need to continously harvest sand from strategic point on the river course, In an environmentally friendly way, this will prevent build up of deposits.

The Port  at Onitsha, itself needs better cranes than the rusted 1960s reminants there.
The Anambra state Gov. need to work together with the traders to attract or establish a dedicated shipping line, that goes to popular EU, US and Asian destinations, at least till the port catches sustainable traffic.

The Banks of Onitsha is Ripe for Petrochemical Storage Facility, this snuggly fits into the existing Modular Refining Strategy in Anambra. We could establish a Refining Complex Using Modular units appporach to build up a huge capacity gradully. That can employ a Large number of people and even sustain a new city.

There is so much we can do, it takes planning. Nothing comes with nothing. You can not have it if you do not plan for it.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ak47mann(m): 12:53am On Apr 19, 2011
KenGali:

A good one from FG,

What of Anambra state Gov.? Whats her development plan?

What are we putting in place to ensure we won't need to dredge the Niger again in 20 years time. The Initial loss of the Niger was a sore mistake.

In my mind the SOUTH East states, Especailly Anambra and Imo, should push for a sustainable design of the tranport system,
We need water gates to further raise the water depth,
We also need to continously harvest sand from strategic point on the river course, In an environmentally friendly way, this will prevent build up of deposits.

The Port  at Onitsha, itself needs better cranes than the rusted 1960s reminants there.
The Anambra state Gov. need to work together with the traders to attract or establish a dedicated shipping line, that goes to popular EU, US and Asian destinations, at least till the port catches sustainable traffic.

The Banks of Onitsha is Ripe for Petrochemical Storage Facility, this snuggly fits into the existing Modular Refining Strategy in Anambra. We could establish a Refining Complex Using Modular units appporach to build up a huge capacity gradully. That can employ a Large number of people and even sustain a new city.

There is so much we can do, it takes planning. Nothing comes with nothing. You can not have it if you do not plan for it.

true talk cool cool
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ezeagu(m): 1:03am On Apr 19, 2011
Waits and sees. . . .
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by shotster50(m): 1:08am On Apr 19, 2011
Like someone earlier pointed out, of what use is that port when the River Niger has not been dredged??
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ezeagu(m): 11:42pm On Apr 27, 2011
This was labelled as Onicha port, can anybody confirm?

[center][/center]
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by EzeUche3(m): 11:45pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^

It is definitely Onicha port.

Seems like this is international news for the industry.

Here is the link.

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2011/04/12/nigeria-onitsha-port-to-start-operation-by-june/

Dredging Today

Headquartered in Rotterdam at the heart of the famous Dutch Dredging Industry, www.dredgingtoday.com delivers expert coverage of the industry sectors that matter most to you and your business. This includes news and updates on markets, projects, vessels, equipment, research, contractors and the authorities dominating these markets.
From breaking news, technological advances to project activities, Dredging Today’s experienced and well-respected team of editors, columnists and correspondents will keep you well informed. Whether you are a project employee, welder, captain, project manager, authority or executive, the place to find the latest developments in the dredging and port construction industry is on www.dredgingtoday.com
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by ezeagu(m): 11:49pm On Apr 27, 2011
Hmm. grin Dis is veri nice nuus, nde.
Re: Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 27, 2011
At the end of day,every cargoes still pass through Lagos.waste of money !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ganduje Wins Kano APC Governorship Primaries / BREAKING NEWS!! Godwin Obaseki Booed In Atlanta / Osun By-election, APC Plans To Scuttle Process, Import Foreign Voters - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.