Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,898 members, 7,828,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year (9125 Views)

Poll: Who is most likely to win the WPOTY 2011 Award

Cristiano ronaldo: 23% (37 votes)
Lionel Messi: 72% (115 votes)
Andres Iniesta: 1% (2 votes)
Xavi Hernandez: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist / Lionel Messi Named World Player Of The Year Yet Again / Africans Win The 2011 New York City Marathon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by montelik(m): 8:38am On Apr 15, 2011
I think its too early to pick a winner, but once again this year Messi will be d front runner for d prize. Ibra has also done well with Milan and CR7 would make d shortlist too. But let wait until d last few games of d season have been played.

Personally this is why I dislike d award. How can it be called player of d year award when performances from d preceding year are counted and performance at d start of d season in d same year are down played. Why not just call it "world player of the season" instead and award it at start of every season in August/September for d previous seasons performance. It would make more sense that way.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by montelik(m): 9:22am On Apr 15, 2011
renewnaija:

Our wise Mr know-all, why did he move if not ambition? Or do you want to compare trophy cabinets? Get your facts right else one can rightly assume you just started following this beautiful game out of peer pressure which most do nowadays.

I certainly don't claim to be a "know-all" and if tone of my post was a bit harsh, my apologies. First Ronaldo moved cos he has always wanted to play for Madrid since he was a child and second cos he wanted to move closer to his home and family. Why would ambition drive him from a club where he had won every single club honor available, as well as all d individual awards available(including d Ballon D'or and WPOTY). What trophy of any significance could he win at Madrid he hadn't already with United (besides maybe d La Liga). At d time he was already playing for a team that was dominating England as well as Europe.

As for your claim that globally United have never compared to Madrid or Barca, or that somehow historically Madrid and Barca are d 2 premier clubs globally, that is just so wrong. I won't get into it cos I don't want to derail d thread. If you had kept your comment at just Madrid not Barca, and had not brought historical context into it you may have had an arguable point.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by cescjay(m): 9:30am On Apr 15, 2011
it all depends on who wins the CL.
nominees: Messi, C.Ronaldo,Raul, Rooney,R.Giggs,Xavi,Inesta,Alves.etc.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Bretainee11: 9:43am On Apr 15, 2011
according to me Messi is the only one player who really deserve for this in this year because he has proved himself in this world-cup and i am shower that he will be the winner in this list
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 10:10am On Apr 15, 2011
cescjay:

it all depends on who wins the CL.
nominees: Messi, C.Ronaldo,Raul, Rooney,R.Giggs,Xavi,Inesta,Alves.etc.

meaning what?does one person win the UCL? messi so far is la liga top scorer, europe's top scorer, and champions league top scorer. this is an individual award not a team award.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Iyineda(m): 10:36am On Apr 15, 2011
Tripple Messi. cool
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by lekyar(m): 11:09am On Apr 15, 2011
Ronaldo plays crass football in comparison to messi who has raised his game to an artform. Need I say more!!!
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by dewswealth: 11:20am On Apr 15, 2011
Messi needs to prove himself on another league or team before he truly can be seen as the best of the best,To me i believe Ronaldo is still the best because he as prove himself in various ways, He did it in England And He is doing it in Spain,If messi is sure of him self let him tender a transfer request and try another League
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Oladee11: 11:24am On Apr 15, 2011
shocked but as barca dey woo am with more money nko? Only Man City can afford the genius, even U sef no go like play for City na!
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by vicenzo(m): 12:20pm On Apr 15, 2011
ddippset:

when zidane, ronaldinho, ronaldo, rivaldo, baggio, weah, kaka, etc all won the ballon dor, they had the best and the best in their squads. this xavi and iniesta talk is the most unintelligent arguement in football. cristiano had scholes and giggs, now he has de maria,kaka,alonso and ozil. messi has xavi and iniesta, and stii has the highest assists in europe. nig**r  please. be smart.

Bros,your blood is boiling,i think you need some FRESH AIR,take a look at zidane,he stared for juventus,madrid and for france,ronaldo lima did the same for inter,barca and madrid.Messi performs only for barca and expects us to take him serious,and dont tell me about olympics because that is a junior level and messi wasn't the star man in that team,and dont give me the crap about barca being the best team in the world because as of now inter still holds that title,the fact remains that apart from barca messi has flopped at the senior level.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by marcus1234: 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2011
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ogazi007(m): 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2011
Messi will keep the award until he gets some knee problems, lol.
He will get tied of the award at some point and give it to me.
He has won the 2011 word best already,we are waiting for 2012 season.
Were xavi and Iniesta in the Agentina squad that won,under 20 and Olympics?
His consistency since he came into lime light is unbelievable.just try and google messi people.
HE IS THE FOOTBALL.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by lekyar(m): 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Bros,your blood is boiling,i think you need some FRESH AIR,take a look at zidane,he stared for juventus,madrid and for france,ronaldo lima did the same for inter,barca and madrid.Messi performs only for barca and expects us to take him serious,and dont tell me about olympics because that is a junior level and messi wasn't the star man in that team,and dont give me the crap about barca being the best team in the world because as of now inter still holds that title,the fact remains that apart from barca messi has flopped at the senior level.

This argument being put forward that messi has to switch clubs to prove he's the best - which he is- is surreal and disingenuous. It just goes to length to show the level of envy and jealousy the proponents hold for team Barca. It's not necessarily a criteria. And if Barca is a 'flop' at country level what will you call Ronaldo at same level, Waiting.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by lekyar(m): 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2011
lekyar:

This argument being put forward that messi has to switch clubs to prove he's the best - which he is- is surreal and disingenuous. It just goes to length to show the level of envy and jealousy the proponents hold for team Barca. It's not necessarily a criteria. And if Barca messi is a 'flop' at country level what will you call Ronaldo at same level, Waiting.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 15, 2011
m, E, s, S, i
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Akosbaba(m): 2:34pm On Apr 15, 2011
Very simple.anyone whose club wins the champions league btw messi and ronaldo.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by PurestBoy(m): 3:32pm On Apr 15, 2011
All Messi haters shld do us a favor by hugging transformer & anyone who says Messi depends on Xavi & Iniesta is a fooool. What abt Dani Alves, Bosquet? Messi had more goals and assist than Xavi & Iniesta combined both last & present season, Was Xavi & Iniesta there wen he won trophies for Argentina at Junior level? He excel in Barca when there was no Xavi & Iniesta in d squad and was one of d 3 best at d age of 20, he was there wen Kaka won it, CR7 won it be4 he himself won it twice & now going 4 another one. Some people still believe Cr7 won it then because Messi had a long term injury & has always outshine Cr7 anytime they meet even in Portugal vs Argentima match.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by karpenter: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2011
I just don't comprehend why folks are jarring amid apparent facts. In every football matches that Messi and Ronaldo competed against each other, Messi, for all time, outperformed by miles. Even the most recent friendly game between Argentina and Portugal, Messi was greatly superior. Furthermore, during the very last world cup, though Messi wasn’t on the scoring sheet, every spectator could corroborate that Messi was still very exceptional for Argentina. At this moment, I don't need to jog your memory regarding Ronaldo’s uninspiring display in that tournament. Figure that out that by yourself at your own convenience.

Messi is the greatest football player I have seen post Maradona and Zidane era. Of course his present unswerving superlative form was predictable given his exploits earlier in his career. As an under 20 player, he was man of the match for many youth tournaments and ultimately proceeded to triumph in both the Junior world cup and Olympics for his country. Pardon me? What has Ronaldo won for Portugal at any level? Sorry, perhaps it’s not important!!

Constantly, Messi hunters strive extremely hard to associate the unassuming boy’s skill to Xavi’s and Iniesta’s mid field roles. They are quick to conveniently forget that even, when it comes to passes and assists, Messi is still as good as these fellows. My guys, undoubtedly, natural talents are certainly not constrained. Any player like Messi that is blessed with such natural talents will always stand out in any Football Club even at Real Madrid that a “5-0” annihilated coach claims to be in a “building process”. Was Rome built forever?

Lastly, please be informed that it's not Messi’s fault that Barca resolved not to ever put him on the transfer market at any price. If I may ask, would you sell him if you’re the Barca president?
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by dabraska: 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2011
renewnaija: ur on point mhen, Messi is sure nt from dis planet,, Messi all d way, UP Barca,
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by montelik(m): 4:09pm On Apr 15, 2011
Once again a normal discussion descends into Messi fans bashing CR7 and vice versa. There are other phenomenal players beside these 2, so people stop constantly comparing them, hating on one while worshiping d other. Jeez.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by vicenzo(m): 4:11pm On Apr 15, 2011
PurestBoy:

All Messi haters shld do us a favor by hugging transformer & anyone who says Messi depends on Xavi & Iniesta is a fooool. What abt Dani Alves, Bosquet? Messi had more goals and assist than Xavi & Iniesta combined both last & present season, Was Xavi & Iniesta there wen he won trophies for Argentina at Junior level? He excel in Barca when there was no Xavi & Iniesta in d squad and was one of d 3 best at d age of 20, he was there wen Kaka won it, CR7 won it be4 he himself won it twice & now going 4 another one. Some people still believe Cr7 won it then because Messi had a long term injury & has always outshine Cr7 anytime they meet even in Portugal vs Argentima match.

eusebio shone for portugal and benfica at the top level,maradona shone for napoli and argentina at the top level,pele did the same for brazil and santos,these great players showed their talents for the teams they played for,c.Ronaldo did shine for realmadrid and man u,remember the onus here is not about national team,rather its about playing for two different teams at the top level.

Messi has refused to leave barca,hence his only other chance to play for another team at the top level is his national team,and so far he has failed to impress,olympics and under 20 are not top level footbal.Gosh! pedro is an average player,but with xavi and iniesta behind,he looks so good.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by PurestBoy(m): 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2011
Messi has 49 goals so far and statistically 66% of these goals are from his own individual assist besides d fact dat he's got more goals & assists than his teammates, when someone takes 2 to 3 defenders & score do u call dat an assist? If Xavi/Iniesta had strikers like Bendtner in their front would they be noticed? There4 witout Messi, Xavi & Iniesta's efforts will go unnoticed.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by karpenter: 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2011
what has ronaldo won for his country at any level? Mind you, even if Messi wants to leave Barca, the market price on him would be impossible for any club to land him. My guy, it's not his fault.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by lekyar(m): 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

eusebio shone for portugal and benfica at the top level,maradona shone for napoli and argentina at the top level,pele did the same for brazil and santos,these great players showed their talents for the teams they played for,c.Ronaldo did shine for realmadrid and man u,remember the onus here is not about national team,rather its about playing for two different teams at the top level.

Messi has refused to leave barca,hence his only other chance to play for  another team at the top level is his national team,and so far he has failed to impress,olympics and under 20 are not top level footbal.Gosh! pedro is an average player,but with xavi and iniesta behind,he looks so good.

You guys are still dwelling on this irrelevance as an excuse not to bow to the reigning king of football. Ok saturday's around the corner. I know I wont be disappointed by messi can you say same for ronaldo.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by PurestBoy(m): 4:36pm On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Messi has refused to leave barca,hence his only other chance to play for another team at the top level is his national team,and so far he has failed to impress,olympics and under 20 are not top level footbal.Gosh! pedro is an average player,but with xavi and iniesta behind,he looks so good.

How did Messi flop at d WC? Maradona built d team on Messi yet Argentina had 10 goals 6 of which Messi directly assisted, he had 30 shots on goals, hit d bar twice, had most dribble in World cup, 2 goals were scored from his rebound & remember he played behind Tevez & Higuan. Apart from Enyeama, Messi was d best player against Nigeria even most folks dont know who scored dat G. Heinze scored but they recognise Messi impact. Higuan scored d only hattricks in WC against S. Korea which are all tap-ins but Messi was rated above him. What else could he have done, he was too fast for his Argentine team-mates could not understand his football flows. Shld we say Ryan Giggs is not a world class because he only plays 4 ManU & couldn't help Wales qualify 4 WC? Pls answer me u Messi haters.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by dabraska: 5:36pm On Apr 15, 2011
purestboy ur head is dere joor, dis is a clear definition of beef!!! was d great ronaldo dalima not in barcelona and he scored 47 goals as a striker, messi playin nt as a striker and has surpassed d record wif 48 goals, though scored 47 goals last season, other fans have attested 2 dat, jst take a look at shear brillance against brazil wen he scored d only goal 4 argentina in d 90th minute, so awesome a player, and lets b sincere, ronaldo isnt as gud as he is joor, ronaldo has a problem wif big matches and we'll watch wat will happen tomorrow, Barca 4 lyf!!
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by medjai(m): 5:39pm On Apr 15, 2011
^^ Don't mind the Messi haters. Messi must leave Barca before he can be acknowledged as the best - what an inane idea!
I guess the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paolo Maldini, Frenec Puskas, cannot be considered as greats because they succeeded at one club?
Anelka should be regarded as the best player ever for being a journeyman.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by dabraska: 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2011
ur seriously on point ma broda!!! dey r jst lukin 4 excuses, its bizzare to think he has to go to anoda club, As u said Anelka shud b d best player of all time nw, if Ronaldo was better than messi, he shud outshine messi nw becus, he is in d richest club in d world, he belongs 2 a set of wonderful players and they ave d so-called best coach in d world, and yet he cant still outshine messi, You guys shud jst stop hating and face d reality, he's d best player in 2 have cum afta maradona, he's gonna win the best player in d world 3 consecutive times, as any player done dat b4? guys dnt hate joor,
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by vicenzo(m): 5:58pm On Apr 15, 2011
PurestBoy:

How did Messi flop at d WC? Maradona built d team on Messi yet Argentina had 10 goals 6 of which Messi directly assisted, he had 30 shots on goals, hit d bar twice, had most dribble in World cup, 2 goals were scored from his rebound & remember he played behind Tevez & Higuan. Apart from Enyeama, Messi was d best player against Nigeria even most folks dont know who scored dat G. Heinze scored but they recognise Messi impact. Higuan scored d only hattricks in WC against S. Korea which are all tap-ins but Messi was rated above him. What else could he have done, he was too fast for his Argentine team-mates could not understand his football flows. Shld we say Ryan Giggs is not a world class because he only plays 4 ManU & couldn't help Wales qualify 4 WC? Pls answer me u Messi haters.

Guy,i must confess that you are good,some other people would have resorted to cheap insults but not you,you kept bringing out facts,i give you a big plus for that.

However,this thread is about opinion,and everybody is entitled to his opinion,and in my own opinion, ronaldo is the best player.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by PurestBoy(m): 6:15pm On Apr 15, 2011
I'm an Arsenal fan but I have to say the truth here. Though it was just a friendly match but the clinical goal he scored against Brazil after taking d ball pass 3 defender is worthy to be noticed. CR7 is very good, I respect him but Messi brings joy to ur eyes. CR7 shld be given d best player in d world award because Messi is not from dis world .
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by EfeEkarume1(m): 8:21pm On Apr 15, 2011
ogazi007:

Messi will keep the award until he gets some knee problems, lol.
He will get tied of the award at some point and give it to me.
He has won the 2011 word best already,we are waiting for 2012 season.
Were xavi and Iniesta in the Agentina squad that won,under 20 and Olympics?
His consistency since he came into lime light is unbelievable.just try and google messi people.
HE IS THE FOOTBALL.
Messi also means FOOTBALL. Example, Hey guys, we are free now, let's play MESSI.
MrPrsdent:

m, E, s, S, i
L, i, O, n, e, L
dabraska:

renewnaija: your on point mhen, Messi is sure nt from dis planet,, Messi all d way, UP Barca,
KRYPTON is his planet.
PurestBoy:

Messi has 49 goals so far and statistically 66% of these goals are from his own individual assist besides d fact dat he's got more goals & assists than his teammates, when someone takes 2 to 3 defenders & score do u call dat an assist? If Xavi/Iniesta had strikers like Bendtner in their front would they be noticed? There4 witout Messi, Xavi & Iniesta's efforts will go unnoticed.
BREAKING NEWS : Messi has just scored his 50th goal. He scored thrice. Congratulations! , in my PES 2011 though.
PurestBoy:

I'm an Arsenal fan but I have to say the truth here. Though it was just a friendly match but the clinical goal he scored against Brazil after taking d ball pass 3 defender is worthy to be noticed. CR7 is very good, I respect him but Messi brings joy to your eyes. CR7 shld be given d best player in d world award because Messi is not from dis world .
You know what I feel? The growth hormone injection that was administered to him when he was ill is doing a whole lot of good than damage. His movement-visual ability has so increase rapidly, making him run so fast almost dogding raindrops.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by kazman7(m): 8:23pm On Apr 15, 2011
based on club performance, Lionel Messi has been the most consistent football player this season,i guess he should win the player of the year award

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Ejowvokoghene Odururu After Winning 200M At World Youth Championships In Ukraine / FIFA Women World Cup: Sweden, Spain Make Semi Finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.