Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,526 members, 7,837,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing (1419 Views)

SHORTHAND: Did You Learn This In School? / Lets Learn Mathematics! / Mention One Thing You Wished You Knew And Did Before Graduating From School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 11, 2021
Pls am always having troubles with mathematics and I don't know if it the textbook am using.....

When I try I get some topics right and when I enter the next am always stuck.....and I will continue to stay on that topic for more than 2 days and still not get anything

I use integrated mathematics and I don't know whether it for beginners and I am literally not good in math but I have made the resolve to change....

pls how do you get along with mathematics. And what scope or textbook did you use to learn when you knew nothing......(I don't have a tutor and am ready to give my all if I know the strategies and textbook to use)
I have already decided I want to learn math, all I need is just a little bit of motivation from experienced folks to push harder from my current state to a better one.

ur advice is appreciated.......thank you.
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2021
Baal18:
Pls am always having troubles with mathematics and I don't know if it the textbook am using.....

When I try I get some topics right and when I enter the next am always stuck.....and I will continue to stay on that topic for more than 2 days and still not get anything

I use integrated mathematics and I don't know whether it for beginners and I am literally not good in math but I have made the resolve to change....

pls how do you get along with mathematics. And what scope or textbook did you use to learn when you knew nothing......(I don't have a tutor and am ready to give my all if I know the strategies and textbook to use)
I have already decided I want to learn math, all I need is just a little bit of motivation from experienced folks to push harder from my current state to a better one.

Will you do online Maths lessons?
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2021
smiley
HellVictorinho:
Will you do online Maths lessons?

Thanks for your reply but am not really looking forward to it....
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by iyenebari(m): 10:32pm On Mar 11, 2021
There are different maths tutorial available on youtube.
Just watch one or two example on the topic you are about to study and then apply it.
Which you all the best
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Kylekent59: 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2021
I studied the topic before the class; making use of my textbook. I got addicted to reading and solving maths questions.

In year one, the first lecture I attended changed me. A lecturer asked a question, and within 2 seconds a guy answered. It was as if I was the dullest. I buckled up.
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2021
iyenebari:
There are different maths tutorial available on youtube.
Just watch one or two example on the topic you are about to study and then apply it.
Which you all the best

pls do you know any math tutorial that reliable with all the basics been extremely explained and covers the secondary school curriculum? ..........

thanks for your comment..
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 11, 2021
Kylekent59:
I studied the topic before the class; making use of my textbook. I got addicted to reading and solving maths questions.

In year one, the first lecture I attended changed me. A lecturer asked a question, and within 2 seconds a guy answered. It was as if I was the dullest. I bucked up.

thanks a lot sir....
what textbook did you use?
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by MomentMan(m): 11:00pm On Mar 11, 2021
Go and get " Hidden fact in mathematics". Back it up with YouTube videos,I am sure you will be fine.
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Kingkyle1(m): 12:44am On Mar 12, 2021
Hidden facts in maths and further maths, New school mathematics will be of a great help then add YouTube videos for studying and little practice. For YouTube, check out blackpenredpen. If you don't like his style, look for others, they're plenty.

When you're done with a topic use new general mathematics to do practice, go online and find related questions on the studied topic and practise.Also solve waec and jamb mathematical past questions. Practice makes perfect!!

Then don't readily use calculators or phone to practise, use your brain first until e choke.

Try to be ahead of your tutor too
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 12, 2021
MomentMan:
Go and get " Hidden fact in mathematics". Back it up with YouTube videos,I am sure you will be fine.

Thank you very much sir for your amazing advice. I will do as you just said...........
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 12, 2021
Kingkyle1:
Hidden facts in maths and further maths, New school mathematics will be of a great help then add YouTube videos for studying and little practice. For YouTube, check out blackpenredpen. If you don't like his style, look for others, they're plenty.

When you're done with a topic use new general mathematics to do practice, go online and find related questions on the studied topic and practise.Also solve waec and jamb mathematical past questions. Practice makes perfect!!

Then don't readily use calculators or phone to practise, use your brain first until e choke.

Try to be ahead of your tutor too

Thank you sir............i have got hidden fact and integrated math with me but i will try that youtube videos........

Again thank you very much sir
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Kingkyle1(m): 10:39am On Mar 12, 2021
Baal18:

Thank you sir............i have got hidden fact and integrated math with me but i will try that youtube videos........

Again thank you very much sir

I don't know about integrated mathematics though but those textbooks mentioned are quite efficient. Goodluck in your voyage
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by The5DME(m): 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2021
Baal18:

Listen to me bro. No one who commented on thread knows how to solve the issue you're facing. Buying textbooks upon textbooks doesn't solve your problem.
Lemme tell you my story so you'll get what I'm trying to say.
Jss 1: I was a rather, dull kind academically. I wasn really interested in reading as I detested doing it and I was very bad at maths. I mean; very bad. So bad that I got like 30 something for the as my aggregate in 3rd term or so but was promoted because during my time, approximately 2010, Lagos state hasn't implemented the rule of 50 percent in maths and English for promotion. So I sacked through to Jss2.
Jss2: This was when I ran out of luck as Governor Fashola said if you don't have 50 percent in your Maths, you're not going to be promoted. I was still unserious and hanging out with bad friends, skipping school. But we ran out of luck as I and my friends all failed maths with me scoring the lowest. Imagine getting 33 as your overall score in third termin maths. So, we were to repeat. The day I went to collect my result and saw that I was to repeat the class, I felt my heart make a thud kind of sound.

My failure got to my bone marrow. I wasn't flogged at home though, but the shame of my failure was enough to punish me. I started going to school late to avoid seeing my former classmates in jss3. I hated goin outside of my class during break, infact; I hated myself for failing. I made a promise to myself: that I was never ever going to fail Mathematics again in my life. My journey to understanding mathematics began.

I was enrolled in a private lesson to be taught Mathematics only by a family friend. I was improving a little in school. For the first time in my life, I got a maths question in class right without assistance and that day marked the turning point in my life. I was like ' if I can do it, I can do it again'. I practiced a lot and I passed to jss3. I didn't go straight to getting A in maths though. I was still on 50-60 sha. I was not that good though, but sometimes; I still copied from those who knew more during exams sha. Jss3 came and we wrote waec and passed. Most of my friends failed maths and had to resit.
The major turning point began
Ss1: I entered ss1 and joined the science department. I remembered the first day I entered my science class, a guy told me point blank: "you don't belong in science class". Everything was going smoothly, I was still improving sha. But I never knew what happened during the 1st term exam, but I failed maths again since Jss2(the first one). I got a 49 and the way the score was announced ehn, they announced it openly in the classroom: ' if you hear your name, you passed maths'. I never heard my name so I failed maths. I nearly went crazy. I failed myself. I failed the promise I kept to myself that I must never fail maths again. I didn't want to repeat ss1 again.

So I absolutely made up my mind this time I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN FAIL MATHS. This time, I had no private lesson. I was all alone in my journey. I set out to master mathematics but I didn't even know where to start. I wanted to start from jss Mathematics and work my way up until an elder advised me not to do that. Instead, I should never ever let any topic I'm taught in class pass by without me understanding it. An advice I seriously adhered to like a madman. I took it up as a challenge to learn Mathematics and further Mathematics all on my own as we had no further Mathematics teacher in my school. I practiced like hell. With candles, nescafe. I read and practiced till I started seeing results. I went from 49 to 60 and then to 66 in 3rd term.

By ss2 first term, I went from 49 in ss2 first term to 81 grin by that time, I had become a guru. I had defeated my fear of mathematics and sometimes I sat down in awe like" so na this thing na I'm dey fear me since?".I literally became a mathematics guru even to the point that I was noticed by my maths teacher. In my WAEC, I got A1 in maths and further maths without stress sef. I never for one day even opened any maths past question to practice anything while I was preparing for my senior waec.

I'll be writing jamb this year and I've covers everything in the maths syllabus since I was in ss2 sef. So, I'm not even practicing maths again. I've even learnt maths topic I'll be taught in my 100lvl in uni. Topic like : differential equations, complex numbers, hyperbolic function, integration (advanced one), etc.

The crux of my story is just to let you know that a lot of people ' fear' Mathematics. I don't know where this fear originated from but a lot of people don't even know how to overcome that fear. They buy books, go to tutorials trying to solve the problem and still fail at it. To overcome your fear and become good at Mathematics, you have to first change the ' beliefs' you have about the subject. That is what works. Buying textbooks and watching YouTube will not defeat your fear of mathematics. I sincerely hope you read the story I wrote, but if you didn't; then you're on your own.
Bye.
Maths is very easy and sweet.
I used: integrated maths by afolabi j. R, comprehensive maths, new general maths 1-3, new school Maths, hidden facts in maths and some others I can't remember. I solved every question in each topic in all the books I used.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2021
The5DME:

Listen to me bro. No one who commented on thread knows how to solve the issue you're facing. Buying textbooks upon textbooks doesn't solve your problem.
Lemme tell you my story so you'll get what I'm trying to say.
Jss 1: I was a rather, dull kind academically. I wasn really interested in reading as I detested doing it and I was very bad at maths. I mean; very bad. So bad that I got like 30 something for the as my aggregate in 3rd term or so but was promoted because during my time, approximately 2010, Lagos state hasn't implemented the rule of 50 percent in maths and English for promotion. So I sacked through to Jss2.
Jss2: This was when I ran out of luck as Governor Fashola said if you don't have 50 percent in your Maths, you're not going to be promoted. I was still unserious and hanging out with bad friends, skipping school. But we ran out of luck as I and my friends all failed maths with me scoring the lowest. Imagine getting 33 as your overall score in third termin maths. So, we were to repeat. The day I went to collect my result and saw that I was to repeat the class, I felt my heart make a thud kind of sound.

My failure got to my bone marrow. I wasn't flogged at home though, but the shame of my failure was enough to punish me. I started going to school late to avoid seeing my former classmates in jss3. I hated goin outside of my class during break, infact; I hated myself for failing. I made a promise to myself: that I was never ever going to fail Mathematics again in my life. My journey to understanding mathematics began.

I was enrolled in a private lesson to be taught Mathematics only by a family friend. I was improving a little in school. For the first time in my life, I got a maths question in class right without assistance and that day marked the turning point in my life. I was like ' if I can do it, I can do it again'. I practiced a lot and I passed to jss3. I didn't go straight to getting A in maths though. I was still on 50-60 sha. I was not that good though, but sometimes; I still copied from those who knew more during exams sha. Jss3 came and we wrote waec and passed. Most of my friends failed maths and had to resit.
The major turning point began
Ss1: I entered ss1 and joined the science department. I remembered the first day I entered my science class, a guy told me point blank: "you don't belong in science class". Everything was going smoothly, I was still improving sha. But I never knew what happened during the 1st term exam, but I failed maths again since Jss2(the first one). I got a 49 and the way the score was announced ehn, they announced it openly in the classroom: ' if you hear your name, you passed maths'. I never heard my name so I failed maths. I nearly went crazy. I failed myself. I failed the promise I kept to myself that I must never fail maths again. I didn't want to repeat ss1 again.

So I absolutely made up my mind this time I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN FAIL MATHS. This time, I had no private lesson. I was all alone in my journey. I set out to master mathematics but I didn't even know where to start. I wanted to start from jss Mathematics and work my way up until an elder advised me not to do that. Instead, I should never ever let any topic I'm taught in class pass by without me understanding it. An advice I seriously adhered to like a madman. I took it up as a challenge to learn Mathematics and further Mathematics all on my own as we had no further Mathematics teacher in my school. I practiced like hell. With candles, nescafe. I read and practiced till I started seeing results. I went from 49 to 60 and then to 66 in 3rd term.

By ss2 first term, I went from 49 in ss2 first term to 81 grin by that time, I had become a guru. I had defeated my fear of mathematics and sometimes I sat down in awe like" so na this thing na I'm dey fear me since?".I literally became a mathematics guru even to the point that I was noticed by my maths teacher. In my WAEC, I got A1 in maths and further maths without stress sef. I never for one day even opened any maths past question to practice anything while I was preparing for my senior waec.

I'll be writing jamb this year and I've covers everything in the maths syllabus since I was in ss2 sef. So, I'm not even practicing maths again. I've even learnt maths topic I'll be taught in my 100lvl in uni. Topic like : differential equations, complex numbers, hyperbolic function, integration (advanced one), etc.

The crux of my story is just to let you know that a lot of people ' fear' Mathematics. I don't know where this fear originated from but a lot of people don't even know how to overcome that fear. They buy books, go to tutorials trying to solve the problem and still fail at it. To overcome your fear and become good at Mathematics, you have to first change the ' beliefs' you have about the subject. That is what works. Buying textbooks and watching YouTube will not defeat your fear of mathematics. I sincerely hope you read the story I wrote, but if you didn't; then you're on your own.
Bye.
Maths is very easy and sweet.
I used: integrated maths by afolabi j. R, comprehensive maths, new general maths 1-3, new school Maths, hidden facts in maths and some others I can't remember. I solved every question in each topic in all the books I used.

Thank you very much for this wonderful write up.....I think I understand what am doing wrong now....

Also thumbs up in your latest dairy(too funny,too interesting)
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by waso12: 8:05pm On Jun 23, 2022
Many do not delve into mathematics. That's because, in high school, the solution of problems is based on the material already passed. Mathematics is such a subject that it must be constantly taught! Without mastering fractions, edition, or multiplication in a column, it will be impossible to solve problems later. At one time, when the teacher explained the division at school, I was ill for a very long time. I had big problems with dividing complex numbers. I started looking for a way to make it easier for me and found an divisibility calculator with his help and with the help of logic and patience, I mastered the division on my own
Re: How Did You Learn Mathematics When You Knew Literally Nothing by CollinsNeuman: 8:50pm On Jun 23, 2022
Don't waste any money acquiring any text book again they're all the same thing in different format, even the simplest and well analyzed text book can't slice your brain and insert mathematics into your brain...

Best solution: Meet physical maths don with friendly, understandable, responsive, not aggressive, funny, tolerant and real life example showing capabilities.

Reason: you can ask why is it like this and not like that? what if I do it this way, if I first do it like this will I still get it? this questions can't be answered by a textbook with no IQ, no response, and even YouTube tutorials, you can only see and hear but not ask.

lastly: Try and try and try and try.... solve, solve, solve and solve without looking at the books, solve again to see if you've improved and solve again to perfection.

While (maths !== hard){
solve();
}
return equation reducible to homogeneous differential equation;

system(exit);

(1) (Reply)

Countries That Allows International Student To Bring Their Family / LAUTECH Pulls Out Of ASUU Strike, Announces Resumption Of Academic Activities / Apply For Ausbildung In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.