Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,744 members, 7,844,442 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? (3594 Views)

Have You Also Called Your Father Today? (photos) / How I Ended My Relationship With A Married Man / I Destroyed My Sister Relationship With Her Fiancé And She Lost Her Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by GboyegaD(m): 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2021
It wasn't the best but it was great. He was always around, would call the landline everyday when we were growing up to be sure we had our lunch as at when due, did our homeworks etc. He would call when he is closing from work and on days he's not coming home straight from work, he calls so that we can inform my mom when she gets back.

I used to rush home from lesson to listen to their daily activities and all the jokes he would crack. I enjoyed his presence growing up however, while I appreciated the fact that he made us independent in terms of our choices, I sometimes felt he could have been a bit more strict on us.

He doesn't condone nonsense and he is a disciplinarian however, he respects boundaries and respects your choice. One thing I enjoyed most was his quote "you bear the consequences of your actions. The glory or shame/pain that comes with them are yours to bear. We will share in it however, the major part is yours." This has always guided me.

I enjoyed my days as a professional back in Nigeria particularly, when I was having issues with my group head. He retired as a HR consultant and his advice was I shouldn't resign rather I should open an anonymous email and report my challenges to the HR. All this helped when it got to the brim and the Head of HR said he was moving me to another group based on the evidence I have documented.

On the very personal side, we were very cool however, he had his expectations of me and being the rebellious guy I was, I often times fell short. I enjoyed how he stays awake/ wakes up and address each of us whenever we get back since we will always pass by their room. He will most times come to the sitting room to ask how the day fared and tell us what each person is having for dinner.

Two days before he passed on, he charged me to take care of everyone. I guess I just wasn't sensitive because he told my younger sister he was told he passed his exams. At the hospital, he told the doctor he was well and he wanted to go home but I thought he meant our physical home. I miss him now that I have my own family. Wish I could talk to him and appreciate him more because when life threw lemons at him(my parents), he(they) made lemonades out of it and we are grateful.

5 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Teaser4(m): 6:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
Awesome!!! I won't be here today without his support. He's strict though, but we always get along..

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 8:18pm On Mar 29, 2021
This is beautiful
Teaser4:
Awesome!!! I won't be here today without his support. He's strict though, but we always get along..

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 8:20pm On Mar 29, 2021
This is so emotional, thank God you for him. My condolences
GboyegaD:
It wasn't the best but it was great. He was always around, would call the landline everyday when we were growing up to be sure we had our lunch as at when due, did our homeworks etc. He would call when he is closing from work and on days he's not coming home straight from work, he calls so that we can inform my mom when she gets back.

I used to rush home from lesson to listen to their daily activities and all the jokes he would crack. I enjoyed his presence growing up however, while I appreciated the fact that he made us independent in terms of our choices, I sometimes felt he could have been a bit more strict on us.

He doesn't condone nonsense and he is a disciplinarian however, he respects boundaries and respects your choice. One thing I enjoyed most was his quote "you bear the consequences of your actions. The glory or shame/pain that comes with them are yours to bear. We will share in it however, the major part is yours." This has always guided me.

I enjoyed my days as a professional back in Nigeria particularly, when I was having issues with my group head. He retired as a HR consultant and his advice was I shouldn't resign rather I should open an anonymous email and report my challenges to the HR. All this helped when it got to the brim and the Head of HR said he was moving me to another group based on the evidence I have documented.

On the very personal side, we were very cool however, he had his expectations of me and being the rebellious guy I was, I often times fell short. I enjoyed how he stays awake/ wakes up and address each of us whenever we get back since we will always pass by their room. He will most times come to the sitting room to ask how the day fared and tell us what each person is having for dinner.

Two days before he passed on, he charged me to take care of everyone. I guess I just wasn't sensitive because he told my younger sister he was told he passed his exams. At the hospital, he told the doctor he was well and he wanted to go home but I thought he meant our physical home. I miss him now that I have my own family. Wish I could talk to him and appreciate him more because when life threw lemons at him(my parents), he(they) made lemonades out of it and we are grateful.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Zoe99(f): 8:38pm On Mar 29, 2021
I love love my dad.I actually prefer his personality to my mum's even though I love them both equally.He sabi shout for person sha.�

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by zed7: 11:01am On Mar 30, 2021
So many dysfunctional families, nonwomder a lot of Nigerians are bitter and heartless.

Mine was strict, morally upright and disciplined. However, we as kids thought he was too strict and moved away, drawing closer to mum.
Now I realize he meant well but his ways of showing it was a bit too strict.

As a father now, I try to imbibe the good side of him while also learning to dialogue with my kids and showing affection openly. While I wouldn't hesitate to discipline them, I wouldn't also hesitate to show them how much I love them.

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Klass99(f): 12:03pm On Mar 30, 2021
smiley

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Advision: 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2021
Victoria938:
Haven't talked to him in like 7 years. When my mum died he chose alcohol instead of family and I decided I don't need him in my life.

Seems harsh, alcohol intake is often as a result of an addiction. He probably struggled with grief n turned to his bottles, reach out to him n make your peace

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 2:40pm On Mar 30, 2021
When you grow up then you understand why they were strick
Teaser4:
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2021
Some people here are amazing
Klass99:
I like the candidness on this thread, how folks are sharing their experiences without sugar coating their reality.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 2:42pm On Mar 30, 2021
This is the whole idea, becoming a better father.
zed7:
So many dysfunctional families, nonwomder a lot of Nigerians are bitter and heartless.

Mine was strict, morally upright and disciplined. However, we as kids thought he was too strict and moved away, drawing closer to mum.
Now I realize he meant well but his ways of showing it was a bit too strict.

As a father now, I try to imbibe the good side of him while also learning to dialogue with my kids and showing affection openly. While I wouldn't hesitate to discipline them, I wouldn't also hesitate to show them how much I love them.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 2:43pm On Mar 30, 2021
Awww.
Zoe99:
I love love my dad.I actually prefer his personality to my mum's even though I love them both equally.He sabi shout for person sha.�

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by ibechris(m): 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2021
My dad was diligently hard on us...hardcore principled,responsible,contented and decent both in character and to everyone.

In fact,when we were growing up,I could remember we could not look our dad in the eyes for fear of being seen as disrespectful or stubborn.
All that changed when we became adolescence and got to realised how disciplined we were when we relate with people.
My relationship with my dad is excellent and one of the best. In fact,there is absolutely nothing I dont discuss with my dad including all my office,my children,investments,decisions and he also do pray for me and my wife.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Teaser4(m): 3:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
Wittyglam:
When you grow up then you understand why they were strick
you mean when I'm 40/50... I already know why cos I'm already in my early 30's and doing very well in life, but I never settle down yet due to some personal reasons. Thanks BTW

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Klass99(f): 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2021
smiley

3 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by LauraClasikVibe(f): 5:14pm On Mar 30, 2021
If you still receive calls from you parents you don't know how LUCKY you are

if you parents are still alive, you don't know how LUCKY you are

5 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Freemasonry: 7:49pm On Mar 30, 2021
Never really had the pleasure... passed away when I was little. But my mom and siblings tell me he was someone I would have loved to be around.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:29pm On Mar 30, 2021
I meant as a kid
Teaser4:
you mean when I'm 40/50... I already know why cos I'm already in my early 30's and doing very well in life, but I never settle down yet due to some personal reasons. Thanks BTW
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:29pm On Mar 30, 2021
My condolences but you're doing great right?
Freemasonry:
Never really had the pleasure... passed away when I was little. But my mom and siblings tell me he was someone I would have loved to be around.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:30pm On Mar 30, 2021
Do you mind sharing those personal reasons?
Teaser4:
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:31pm On Mar 30, 2021
This is so beautiful
ibechris:
My dad was diligently hard on us...hardcore principled,responsible,contented and decent both in character and to everyone.

In fact,when we were growing up,I could remember we could not look our dad in the eyes for fear of being seen as disrespectful or stubborn.
All that changed when we became adolescence and got to realised how disciplined we were when we relate with people.
My relationship with my dad is excellent and one of the best. In fact,there is absolutely nothing I dont discuss with my dad including all my office,my children,investments,decisions and he also do pray for me and my wife.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Freemasonry: 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2021
Wittyglam:
My condolences but you're doing great right?
Yea!
It was a long time ago. June 94.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 12:23pm On Apr 01, 2021
Very long
Freemasonry:

Yea!
It was a long time ago. June 94.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 10:11am On Apr 02, 2021
My condolences
Amanee:
Nonexistent

He's late
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Nobody: 3:17am On Apr 27, 2021
I still live with them but I don't talk to him, I hate talking with him. If he asks me anything I reply with just a word or mumble a sentence. I don't want to just engage him in any discussion. He has this "I don't care attitude" that annoys me.

I read some people's post of how their father talks to them, encourages them in their educational pursuit and sacrifice for them to realise their dream. This one is just lax about everything, he doesn't discipline, doesn't give any advice or encouragement, doesn't provide for his children. Some parents though may not have money but they give you morale support to forge ahead in life some don't give morale support but they just give you money to chase whatever dream you want to chase. This one has nothing to give you, it's like not having a father.

An advice to father's or father to be: please make sacrifices for your kids to be something in life they will grow up to forever appreciate you. You don't even have to remind them to cater for you in old age they will gladly do it. Create time for them, have values and have a good relationship with them when they are young. Some people ignore and do the "I don't care" attitude until the child becomes an adult then that's when you want to start showing unnecessary love that you never showed during childhood, sorry it would have become too late.

If I were to score him as a father, I will score him 1/10 and the one mark is just for the copulatory act of bringing children into this world every other fatherly characteristics is a big zero! 0

I will be a better father to my son by God's grace if I have later decide to get into marriage...

3 Likes

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Pootle: 12:52pm On Apr 27, 2021
Was bad but as he grew older i had a soft spot for him, hardly call him though. he accused me of what i never did which almost kill me mentally and he never apologized and which i have no reason to forgive him too. he was also a religious fanatic which made him had a small mind.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2021
Wittyglam:
Most people tend to have a not so good relationship with their fathers especially the men. I grew up seeing most father's running their homes like military men.

I did a lot of research and found out most men have terrible relationship with their fathers that have negative impact on them.

How is your relationship with your father? Don't ignore this, let be open and see what they would have done better and we can learn from this too.
Mine was and is still a terrible father.I wonder how someone will finish having up to four children and abandon them to the women alone. Sometimes I wish I didn't come from him,but God knows everything.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by dammypat(f): 9:19pm On Apr 27, 2021
Terrible father! not disciplined,had no plan or future for his family, brought shame on us, can’t sacrifice for his family, not responsible,all he knows and care about is himself + women+ social life, I wish we didn’t have to stay together, people would have known we have no father and help would probably have come earlier or I would have started my hustle earlier and not relying on his deceit for years while he was giving his best to women and social life,we were living as if we don’t have a father
I hate it when people whose parent are late says “thank God your parent are still alive” they have no idea some living parent can be the major headache in their children life
However,I forgive him even though he has never deemed it fit to ask for forgiveness,everything is normal to him
Our relationship is just there.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by vanvickie(m): 6:47am On Apr 28, 2021
My dad was SUPER SWEET, still my role model till date. I pray to have the kind of relationship I had with him or even better with my children...
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:08am On May 03, 2021
You're stronger and better
Peace91:
Mine was and is still a terrible father.I wonder how someone will finish having up to four children and abandon them to the women alone. Sometimes I wish I didn't come from him,but God knows everything.
Re: How Is Your Relationship With Your Father? by Wittyglam(f): 9:08am On May 03, 2021
Amen
vanvickie:
My dad was SUPER SWEET, still my role model till date. I pray to have the kind of relationship I had with him or even better with my children...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Her Husband Has Changed Completely (front Page Pls / Husbands And Future Husbands, Please Step In. / My Dilemma As A New Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.