Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? (1040 Views)

How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages / How Much Of Your Children Do You Know? / Help!!!! My Husband Absconded With Our Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 10:22am On Mar 12, 2021
I have observed a trend in our society.

I discovered that children these days do not speak their local dialect. Especially the children who have access to good education and most likely have educated parents.

There's a private nursery and primary school beside my house and I have been working from home lately.

The children learn to speak French. They obviously speak good English as well.

However the school does not teach the children any Nigerian indigenous language.

Sometimes the children even sing French songs and nursery rhymes. However I've never heard them speak a Nigerian language or sing in Yoruba or Igbo. A good number of the children are Yorubas from my observation. They are not foreigners.

80% of the children can not speak their local dialect.

I also have nephews and nieces that belong to this category.

I'm a strong advocate of being multilingual.

However I find it strange that Yoruba children can not speak Yoruba language and the schools also encourage this habit.

Parents, teachers and guardians in this house I'm officially confused at this point.

Maybe someone should explain to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by LadySarah: 10:56am On Mar 12, 2021
My kids school teaches Igbo language and in fact they recite the States anthem in Igbo everyday.The state govt made it compulsory for all schools whether public or private.

If the school doesn't then teach them by yourself.Mine are fluent in English and Igbo,bear only their Igbo names and allowed to only communicate in Igbo at home.We feign deafness even to my 18mth old when they forget themselves.

It is gross foolishness and neo colonial mentality coupled with oversabi that is worrying so many of us.

2 Likes

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 10:59am On Mar 12, 2021
LadySarah:
My kids school teaches Igbo language and in fact they recite the States anthem in Igbo everyday.The state govt made it compulsory for all schools whether public or private.

If the school doesn't then teach them by yourself.Mine are fluent in English and Igbo,bear only their Igbo names and allowed to only communicate in Igbo at home.We feign deafness even to my 18mth old when they forget themselves.

It is gross foolishness and neo colonial mentality coupled with oversabi that is worrying so many of us.

If I may ask what state do you reside?

I'm in Lagos. Maybe the Lagos state ministry of education should borrow a thing or two from your state.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by duro4chang(m): 11:09am On Mar 12, 2021
Yes now. Afterall you people prefer everything America. Anything we have here is not good. African food no, African dress no, African language no. In one hundred years' time you will see what will happen.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 11:19am On Mar 12, 2021
duro4chang:
Yes now. Afterall you people prefer everything America. Anything we have here is not good. African food no, African dress no, African language no. In one hundred years' time you will see what will happen.

Kindly be more explicit. What do you mean by you people? Are you referring to Nigerians in general?

Are you a foreigner?

What will happen in one hundred years time?
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by duro4chang(m): 11:24am On Mar 12, 2021
neutralmind:

Kindly be more explicit. What do you mean by you people? Are you referring to Nigerians in general?

Are you a foreigner?

I mean extinction of many local languages.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by pozehnani(f): 11:25am On Mar 12, 2021
They still do.

One of my schools teach both igbo and Yoruba subjects. I've been there on few occasions when the had the classes. So, some still do.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Mindlog: 12:45pm On Mar 12, 2021
neutralmind:

If I may ask what state do you reside?

I'm in Lagos. Maybe the Lagos state ministry of education should borrow a thing or two from your state.

Public schools in Lagos teach Yoruba language, that am very certain and I know back then there were Igbo language teachers in many secondary schools for the junior clasess, don't know if it was sustained.

The private schools are of a different ball game!

But in all, the transmission and maintenance of mother tongue is the primary responsibility of parents and they must be intentional about it.

Despite being born and raised in Lagos, Yoruba was the most prominent language around while growing up but my parents made sure that no matter our proficiency in it alongside the English language, they must not be spoken in our house as the Igbo language was the only language allowed for communication. So unconscioudly we became good at switching to Igbo when we got home and today, am so happy we didn't lose that heritage and with confidence I communicate so easily in Igbo language with some.of its dialects to boot! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by LadySarah: 12:58pm On Mar 12, 2021
Mindlog:

Public schools in Lagos teach Yoruba language, that am very certain and I know back then there were Igbo language teachers in many secondary schools for the junior clasess, don't know if it was sustained.

The private schools are of a different ball game!

But in all, the transmission and maintenance of mother tongue is the primary responsibility of parents and they must be intentional about it.

Despite being born and raised in Lagos, Yoruba was the most prominent language around while growing up but my parents made sure that no matter our proficiency in it alongside the English language, they must not be spoken in our house as the Igbo language was the only language allowed for communication. So unconscioudly we became good at switching to Igbo when we got home and today, am so happy we didn't lose that heritage and with confidence I communicate so easily in Igbo language with some.of its dialects to boot! cheesy

exactly.home is their first school and parents their first teacher .If you don't teach them then don't expect teachers who are already overwhelmed with several subjects to do that.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 12, 2021
The local languages are dying out. It's inevitable. Before the end of this century, only a few widely spoken languages will still be used worldwide.

English; widespread use over the whole world and the internet.

Mandarin; due to probable future Chinese expansionism.

Spanish; widespread use over three continents

Arabic; widespread use over two continents and groups in other continents with religious significance.

Hindi; religious significance.

Hebrew; religious significance.

French; widespread use over two continents.

Portuguese; widespread use over three continents.

The latter two may disappear eventually as English or Mandarin Chinese replaces them. Languages with religious significance like Arabic, Hindi, and Hebrew may also disappear as atheism continues to rise globally, or be spoken only by the religious elite (like Latin or Sanskrit). The others will not survive except as curiosities (like Maya or Pawnee o r thousands of others). The extinction can only be delayed for a while but not stopped. The local languages have already served their purpose. Now the globe is a single village.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Mikester: 1:37pm On Mar 12, 2021
There could be a lot of reasons for that perhaps

- Less love for the local languages
- Western influences
- Resentment
- Hardship and severe poverty

But for what I believe, our local languages affect our English pronunciation and grammar. It doesn't really make much sense for a school to teach funetics, yoruba/hausa/igbo and still teach diction, phonics and spellings, even French.

The children will find it difficult to pronounce words correctly and lose interest in them eventually.

Personally, I don't have much love for these local languages because conversing with them makes me act and feel different in a way I don't like. Believe me, conversing in a different language makes one feel a personality change at that moment he is communicating.

I hate being a Nigerian in the first place speak less of loving it's languages. That's my personality and I hate to pretend.

Moreover, from my perspective, these languages have done more harm than good to our dear society and country at large. Veritably, tribalism and racism will never end due to the propagation of these languages and culture likewise.

I'm in full support for the total eradication of these cultures and languages and I don't give a damn what people think about my stance. Thumbs up to the school.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 1:39pm On Mar 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
The local languages are dying out. It's inevitable. Before the end of this century, only a few widely spoken languages will still be used worldwide.

Arabic; widespread use over two continents and groups in other continents with religious significance.

The latter two may disappear eventually as English or Mandarin Chinese replaces them. Languages with religious significance like Arabic, Hindi, and Hebrew may also disappear as atheism continues to rise globally. The others will not survive except as curiosities (like Latin or Sanskrit). The extinction can only be delayed for a while but not stopped. The local languages have already served their purpose. Now the globe is a single village.

This is serious o.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 1:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
Mikester:

- Western influences
- Resentment

But for what I believe, our local languages affect our English pronunciation and grammar. It doesn't really make much sense for a school to teach funetics, yoruba/hausa/igbo and still teach diction, phonics and spellings, even French.

The children will find it difficult to pronounce words correctly and lose interest in them eventually. My opinion though.

I disagree with your submission. Research has shown that children have the ability to learn and speak up to 3 different languages at the same time without any problem.

Our dducated Parents and fore fathers back then could speak queen's english and the local languages effectively.

Names like: Ojukwu, Tafawa Balewa, Ahmadu Bello, Chinua Achebe, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Bola Ige and many more.

Note: the names listed are popular names. I believe we all can verify how these men could effectively switch from Queens English to the local language.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Mikester: 1:56pm On Mar 12, 2021
neutralmind:

I disagree with your submission. Research has shown that children have the ability to learn and speak up to 3 different languages at the same time without any problem.

Our dducated Parents and fore fathers back then could speak queen's english and the local languages effectively.

Names like: Ojukwu, Tafawa Balewa, Ahmadu Bello, Chinua Achebe, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Bola Ige and many more.

Note: the names listed are popular names. I believe we all can verify how these men could effectively switch from Queens English to the local language.

The odds are very few. People especially children have limitations in learning. Besides, recheck my comment to know my mind on this. I modified.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Richy4(m): 2:06pm On Mar 12, 2021
Maybe, there are little or no Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba or any other dialect qualified Teachers any more in schools.... People have the tendencies of teaching what they know right?.. It's not Ok for a teacher who could not count from 1 to 50 in Igbo to teach your kids Igbo language.

Again, Due to the unfavorable condition of the country, people ventures into career that is in high demand and I don't blame them for that.. It takes some time for anyone to see someone that went to higher institution just to learn our local linguistics... You will only hear things like he/she studied French, English, German etc...

Again most 21st century parent feels that once their kids can speak fluent English, they are intelligent.. So some might pick offence if a teacher address their kids in any Nigerian Language... Some might say things like I did not pay this large sum as school fees for you (kids) to be speaking Igbo language in my house...

1 Like

Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2021
duro4chang:
I mean extinction of many local languages.
What garbage, which tribe no get village and what's the major means of communication there? Nothing is going extinct.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by 1F30M4(f): 3:38pm On Mar 12, 2021
I absolutely agree with you, Richy4.. OP, he has said it all..

However, I can't help but chuckle after reading his last paragraph.. I remember when I stayed briefly in a rural setting somewhere in Western Nigeria, I had a friend who taught English Language in a nearby "private" school.. She would always come back tired and frustrated cos in her words "the students weren't cooperating worse still they didn't even want to".. They just kept conversing amongst themselves in their local dialect as well as return their homeworks either undone or poorly written.. They couldn't be as much as bothered, oh how I pitied her..

I digressed.. Now, I'd tell you why they didn't see reason to cooperate with their English teacher.. It seemed useless to them cos they'd only get to "speak" that English in school as their parents would turn a deaf ear or find it offensive when they respond in English, until they switch back to their dialect with apology ofcourse lol.. And nope, it doesn't only happen there, infact this same thing goes on in most of our various indigenous communities.

OP, I know this doesn't in any way answer your question(in the title of your thread) but this was what came to my mind while reading Richy4's last paragraph haha last sentence to be precise.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by edoairways: 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2021
Mikester:

- Western influences
- Resentment

The children will find it difficult to pronounce words correctly and lose interest in them eventually.

Personally, I don't have much love for these local languages because conversing with them makes me act and feel different in a way I don't like. Believe me, conversing in a different language makes one feel a personality change at that moment he is communicating.

I hate being a Nigerian in the first place speak less of loving it's languages. That's my personality and I hate to pretend.

Moreover, from my perspective, these languages have done more harm than good to our dear society and country at large. Veritably, tribalism and racism will never end due to the propagation of these languages and culture likewise.

I'm in full support for the total eradication of these cultures and languages and I don't give a damn what people think about my stance. Thumbs up to the school.

Has dominance of wazobia done more harm than good to the society?
What is responsible for constant tribalism and hatred by these tribes?
Does these tribes consider the minorities?
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by LadySarah: 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2021
neutralmind:

This is serious o.

I fear for that post but my happiness is that it won't happen in my time and I'll try my best to pass it on to my kids,what the y do after is their business.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by neutralmind: 1:00am On Mar 13, 2021
Mikester:

- Western influences
- Resentment

I'm[b] in full support for the total eradication of these cultures and languages and I don't give a damn what people think about my stance. Thumbs up to the school. [/b]

Your case is indeed special.

I honestly do not agree.

But it's your opinion at the end of the day.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Sladem05: 10:57am On Apr 02
neutralmind:

Are you a foreigner?

In 100 years time, There will be very few speakers of the indigenous language left as they are mostly indigenous speakers in the older generations like Gen X and Boomers. Gen Z is more inclined to English.
Re: Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? by Sladem05: 11:04am On Apr 02

The latter two may disappear eventually as English or Mandarin Chinese replaces them. Languages with religious significance like Arabic, Hindi, and Hebrew may also disappear as atheism continues to rise globally, or be spoken only by the religious elite (like Latin or Sanskrit). The others will not survive except as curiosities (like Maya or Pawnee o r thousands of others). The extinction can only be delayed for a while but not stopped. The local languages have already served their purpose. Now the globe is a single village.

Of those languages you listed, Only English, Spanish are possibly French are the serious contenders. Outside of China, relatively few people are native speakers. Arabic is similar too. Both Chinese and Arabic are far harder to learn than European languages.

(1) (Reply)

How the bad economic situation in Nigeria Is saving alot of marriages / The Most Bitter Sibling Rivalries In History / What's A Husband Benefits ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.