Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,339 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets (559 Views)

How Jesus Delivered Me From Wet Dreams. : The Aftermath Of Masturbating : Part:1 / How Jesus Christ Was Created / This Generation Shall Not PASS, Till All These Things Be Fulfilled. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:26am On Mar 13, 2021
It is vital to know that Jesus did not say that He came not to destroy the law.

His words:

““Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

He actually said “The Law or the Prophets”.

When a word is removed from scriptures, it gives the text a different meaning or perspective to what was intended by the author or speaker.

To start with, the Law doesn’t refer to the
moral laws or commandments given by Moses. It refers to the first five books of the Bible traditionally believed to have been written by Moses.

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.

Likewise, the prophets also refer to the books written by the Prophets in the Old Testament.

Why did Jesus make this statement?

The way He made use of the Law and the Prophets was completely different from how the scribes and Pharisees used them.

Jesus often used the Scriptures( Genesis- Malachi) to persuade the Jews that He was the messiah, as opposed to the Jews and Pharisees who were studious in the letter of the Scriptures.

“You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:39‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So instead of searching the Scriptures for Christ, they searched it for their own glory.

By his setting up to be a teacher in opposition to the scribes and Pharisees, some might charge him with an intention to destroy their law, and to abolish the customs of the nation. He therefore told them that he did not come for that end, but really to fulfill or accomplish what was in the law and the prophets.

The Law and the Prophets were written because of Christ Jesus. His coming, sufferings and resurrection were foretold in the Law.

“And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.””
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

This was why He said Moses wrote of Him.

“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:46‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

It was also foretold in the Prophets.

““Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭9:9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

““But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting.””
‭‭Micah‬ ‭5:2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Then the prophecy of the Prophet Isaiah in Isaiah 53, to mention but a few.

So when Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets, He meant He came to fulfill all that was written about Him in the Law and the Prophets. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies.

Notice what He says in the next verse.

“For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Everything written about Him in the Law and the Prophets must be fulfilled before the heaven and the earth pass away.

Also observe what He told the disciples.

“And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:27‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

In summary, the entire Old Testament was written because of Christ and He became the fulfillment of all that was written.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Mar 13, 2021
Jesus Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant law on behalf of the Jews that would choose to pursue the New Covenant, a way to lessen their burden.

The Old Covenant Law was designed for the ruling of a people, Israel, on this earth. The law was specifically created for governance in the land of Canaan and it remains that way to this day.

God wanted to be the King(God) over His people Israel - He still is God over Israel -so He designed the Laws, a System of Governance, over the Children of Israel. Now, this system even included a Tax-cum-welfare system(Tithing and Laws), a sort of Law Enforcement team(Levites), and public workers(also levies). He built the Old Covenant in such a way that it was Law unto a specific people, the Children of Jacob.

The New Covenant, Jesus Christ, offers instead to individual men, a Covenant for life on earth and hereafter. The plan provides freedom from the condemnation of sin(Death) gifting the believer with eternal life, and providing said believer with a chance of spending that eternal life in either Heaven or Hell -all things the Old Covenant does include, and rightly so.

These are two different Covenants set up for very different purposes.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Jman24(m): 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2021
madegreatbygrace:

His words:

““Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

When a word is removed from scriptures, it gives the text a different meaning or perspective to what was intended by the author or speaker.

To start with, the Law doesn’t refer to the
moral laws or commandments given by Moses. It refers to the first five books of the Bible traditionally believed to have been written by Moses.

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.

Likewise, the prophets also refer to the books written by the Prophets in the Old Testament.

Why did Jesus make this statement?

The way He made use of the Law and the Prophets was completely different from how the scribes and Pharisees used them.

By his setting up to be a teacher in opposition to the scribes and Pharisees, some might charge him with an intention to destroy their law, and to abolish the customs of the nation. He therefore told them that he did not come for that end, but really to fulfill or accomplish what was in the law and the prophets.

The Law and the Prophets were written because of Christ Jesus. His coming, sufferings and resurrection were foretold in the Law.

“And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.””
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

This was why He said Moses wrote of Him.

“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:46‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

It was also foretold in the Prophets.

““Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭9:9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

““But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting.””
‭‭Micah‬ ‭5:2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Then the prophecy of the Prophet Isaiah in Isaiah 53, to mention but a few.

So when Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets, He meant He came to fulfill all that was written about Him in the Law and the Prophets. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies.

Notice what He says in the next verse.

“For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Everything written about Him in the Law and the Prophets must be fulfilled before the heaven and the earth pass away.

Also observe what He told the disciples.

“And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:27‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

In summary, the entire Old Testament was written because of Christ and He became the fulfillment of all that was written.

You are yet to reply.
Wonderful write up but did biblical Jesus fulfill all the requirements of the Messiah?
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:39pm On Mar 13, 2021
quote author=Kobojunkie post=99858273]Jesus Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant law on behalf of the Jews that would choose to pursue the New Covenant, a way to lessen their burden.

The Old Covenant Law was designed for the ruling of a people, Israel, on this earth. The law was specifically created for governance in the land of Canaan and it remains that way to this day.

God wanted to be the King(God) over His people Israel - He still is God over Israel -so He designed the Laws, a System of Governance, over the Children of Israel. Now, this system even included a Tax-cum-welfare system(Tithing and Laws), a sort of Law Enforcement team(Levites), and public workers(also levies). He built the Old Covenant in such a way that it was Law unto a specific people, the Children of Jacob.

The New Covenant, Jesus Christ, offers instead to individual men, a Covenant for life on earth and hereafter. The plan provides freedom from the condemnation of sin(Death) gifting the believer with eternal life, and providing said believer with a chance of spending that eternal life in either Heaven or Hell -all things the Old Covenant does include, and rightly so.

These are two different Covenants set up for very different purposes.

This is an unnecessary post. In no way does it have any bearing on the subject
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:43pm On Mar 13, 2021
quote author=Jman24 post=99859354]

You are yet to reply.
Wonderful write up but did biblical Jesus fulfill all the requirements of the Messiah?

Did He fulfill all the requirements of the Messiah?

Absolutely!

I have no reason or evidence to think otherwise.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Jman24(m): 9:35pm On Mar 13, 2021
madegreatbygrace:

Did He fulfill all the requirements of the Messiah?

Absolutely!

I have no reason or evidence to think otherwise.

Could I prove you wrong ?
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by madegreatbygrace(m): 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2021
author=Jman24 post=99862329]

Could I prove you wrong ?

“It is FINISHED” resonates deep within me. I choose to believe The Truth. But if you have any light, go ahead and share. You certainly don’t need my permission.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Mar 14, 2021
madegreatbygrace:
“It is FINISHED” resonates deep within me. I choose to believe The Truth. But if you have any light, go ahead and share. You certainly don’t need my permission.
The statement "It is finished" was said in reference to the New Covenant, Jesus Christ announcing that the ratification of the covenant, finalized with the shedding of His blood on the cross.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Dtruthspeaker: 9:26pm On Mar 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The statement "It is finished" was said in reference to the New Covenant, Jesus Christ announcing that the ratification of the covenant, finalized with the shedding of His blood on the cross.

No brother, EVERY RELEVANT THING INCLUDING THIS WORLD was Finished.

That is why No more Prophets, No More Revelations, No More pleadings to Observe The Law of God, Only The Winding up or down of the world on the Arrival of the Court of The Lord!
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Dtruthspeaker: 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2021
madegreatbygracepost=9984406:

His words:

I do not understand, did you not say?

...Jesus did not say that He came not to destroy the law

Meaning, he came to destroy something else?

Meanwhile, it is clearly written that he said it, as you yourself have stated

His words:

““Do not think that I came to destroy the Law.. I did not come to destroy.."

Please my people, is this not clearly Opposing Statement?
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Mar 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

No brother, EVERY RELEVANT THING INCLUDING THIS WORLD was Finished.

That is why No more Prophets, No More Revelations, No More pleadings to Observe The Law of God, Only The Winding up or down of the world on the Arrival of the Court of The Lord!
You say "No more prophets" yet every follower of Jesus Christ is a prophet of God since they are sent out by God to teach the world the Gospel of the Kingdom of God helmed by God Himself (the Spirit of Truth)

You say "No more revelations" yet John the apostle of Christ wrote of one he was supposedly given of God.

You say "No more pleadings to observe the Law of God", yet Jesus Christ, the Law of the Kingdom of Heaven, admonishes all His followers to go into the world Teaching them the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven, instructing all to accept and obey the teachings of Jesus Christ in order that the Kingdom may be theirs.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Jman24(m): 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2021
madegreatbygrace:

Could I still prove that biblical Jesus did not meet the requirements of becoming a Messiah?

Stop dodging
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Dtruthspeaker: 10:33pm On Mar 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You say "No more prophets" yet every follower of Jesus Christ is a prophet of God since they are sent out by God to teach the world the Gospel of the Kingdom of God helmed by God Himself (the Spirit of Truth)

You say "No more revelations" yet John the apostle of Christ wrote of one he was supposedly given of God.

You say "No more pleadings to observe the Law of God", yet Jesus Christ, the Law of the Kingdom of Heaven, admonishes all His followers to go into the world Teaching them the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven, instructing all to accept and obey the teachings of Jesus Christ in order that the Kingdom may be theirs.

Surely, you know that "No more Prophet clearly meant No More Prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah and Co.

Same for John and the other Disciples of Christ,who was incidental, ancillary and directly connected to Christ, therefore, he reasonably can not be severed from Christ.

Further on Pleadings to Observe The Law of God, I believe you know that it is in reference of the Fact that God will Not be Begging Again to turn Away from their sins, And the Records Prove this.

It is rather men who are begging and warning men that the Anger of The Lord is near!
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Mar 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Surely, you know that "No more Prophet clearly meant No More Prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah and Co.

Same for John and the other Disciples of Christ,who was incidental, ancillary and directly connected to Christ, therefore, he reasonably can not be severed from Christ.

Further on Pleadings to Observe The Law of God, I believe you know that it is in reference of the Fact that God will Not be Begging Again to turn Away from their sins, And the Records Prove this.

It is rather men who are begging and warning men that the Anger of The Lord is near!
God still sends out His prophets only they are called followers of Jesus Christ and their mission is a new Kingdom, so your assertion is incorrect.

The old prophets were anointed by the Spirit of God in similar manner as the New prophets are. The Kingdoms different but the mission the same..to deliver the Truth of God to those that God has sent them to.

God, through His Spirit, even in His own followers ,teaches and instructs according everyone who will listen to Him His truth to this day. I am one person who God practically cajoled into doing His Will.. No human being told me the truth of God but God Himself. So I know what I mean when I say God still does that.

As for revelations, that happens every step of the way for those who are followers of Jesus Christ.

God is still the same God, and so it is not that He changed but instead that you misunderstood His reason on the cross.

When Jesus Christ declare " it was finished", just like Moses in Deuteronomy 30, He declared the conclusion of the Covenant, ratifying it so we can become partakers of His Kingdom through our acceptance and obedience of His teachings.
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by Dtruthspeaker: 10:51pm On Mar 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
God still sends out His prophets only they are called followers of Jesus Christ and their mission is a new Kingdom, so your assertion is incorrect.

All Followers of Christ are still The Direct Followers of Christ, As An Offshoot!

They are still from the same One Tree, which is Christ, then branch is disciples, then the disciples have their own branches, hence we are all One with Christ, As Written!

Hence, No Further Work has been Done by God Himself, AFTER Christ Came!

All proceeds from Christ Himself!

Therefore "All is Finished" Since Christ has Finished them All!
Re: How Jesus Fulfilled The Law And The Prophets by madegreatbygrace(m): 5:07pm On Mar 18, 2021
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:6-7‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

One of the prophecies the Lord Jesus fulfilled as revealed by the Prophet Isaiah.

(1) (Reply)

He Burnt The Chief Priest Shrine And Python Started Chasing Him ( Video) / Winner's Chapel 40th Anniversary: Bishop Oyedepo Drops New Prophecy, Check Out W / If Feminism Is Your Vision, Don't Get Married-Bishop David Oyedepo (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.