Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Should I See A Physiotherapist Or A Chiropractor? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should I See A Physiotherapist Or A Chiropractor? (342 Views)

After Treating STD, This Is How I See Women Now / Should You Think About A Chiropractor For Pain In The Back? / Urgent Need For A Chiropractor Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should I See A Physiotherapist Or A Chiropractor? by StJosephsPhysio: 7:58pm On Mar 13, 2021
Are you torn between seeing a Physiotherapist or a Chiropractor while seeking help for your musculoskeletal condition in Lagos?

A chiropractor and a physiotherapist have one thing in common, which is to care for people in pain, and treat conditions relating to movement and function. Both practices require that the practitioners are trained health professionals licensed by the Board MRTB, nevertheless, each treatment has its benefits and share some similarities, but they also have distinct differences.

We have highlighted the similarities and differences between both practices, and why we think physiotherapy might be a better option.

Some similarities between both disciplines include:

They both adopt a non-invasive non-surgical method for treatment.
They both employ a hands-on treatment method.
They both treat conditions related to joints, bones, backaches, etc
They are both therapists with licenses and educational training.
They both treat similar conditions.
They are both certified healthcare professionals.

What then are the differences between a physiotherapist and a chiropractor?

Physiotherapy takes on a holistic approach to rehabilitation

Chiropractic treatment focuses on musculoskeletal disorders

Physiotherapy covers a more holistic approach of the human body such as musculoskeletal, brain, and nervous systems, cardiovascular conditions, injury rehabilitation and uses various techniques and modalities to treat a wide range of conditions.

A chiropractor focuses on the musculoskeletal system, and the joints in the body that enable movement. They mostly treat conditions connected to the bones. Such as shoulder pain, back pains, backaches, knee pain, Sacroiliac Pain.

Physiotherapy attempts to fully treat patients, and return patients to their former state prior to the patient's injury, hence we are particular about treating the source of the pain or discomfort.

Chiropractic treatment focuses on using its traditional methods and could overlook the source of the patient's discomfort.

Physiotherapists are trained to perform everything a chiropractor can do and more. After proper evaluation, We can perform acupuncture, acupressure, accompanied by a tailored exercise routine, and technological innovations guaranteed to nurse patients back to health.

A Chiropractor relies on manual adjustments of the bones and muscle for treatment. They focus on the patient's muscles, spine, and skeleton as a primary core for treating injuries.

A physiotherapist employs the use of equipment such as an ultrasound, electrical stimulation, traction, shockwave therapy, infrared therapy etc and examination for injuries, weakness, and sore spots. Thanks to technological advancement, physiotherapist are properly equipped and trained to ensure a patient is not just cured, but prevents a recurrence

Because of the chiropractor's strategies, the possibility of making a patient's condition aggravated is high. They stick to one technique for every condition which could be detrimental to a patient's total recovery

A Physiotherapist's goal is to prevent your conditions from reoccurring. With physiotherapy, patients will reach full recovery.

Chiropractic care might require continuous mediation of the chiropractor.

Are you in Lagos Nigeria suffering from conditions requiring a therapist, you might want to consider consulting a physiotherapist. We are centrally located, and accessible from Ikoyi, VI, and Lekki.

St. Joseph's Physiotherapy Clinic will be happy to help you with your treatment. Do visit us at 21B Christ Avenue, off Admiralty Road, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos, Nigeria. Schedule an appointment with us today.

The author of this article is a Physiotherapist. The views expressed are entirely those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect our organisation's professional relationship with other healthcare professionals.

Re: Should I See A Physiotherapist Or A Chiropractor? by Dido90: 10:43am On Jan 04, 2022
Please I have someone who's been having pains in the leg since she fell into a deep drainage (gutter) since 2020.

I haven't seen her all the while until this festive period I met her and realized she's still having the pains. I then suggested she goes for X-Ray. She went for it yesterday and the result showed her knee bone dislocated.

Please how can this be treated? I really need your help because I want it fixed as soon as possible. I can imagine the kind of pain she's presently going through

(1) (Reply)

Strange Illness Worrying My Sister / Important Advice To Help You Cope With Tinnitus / My Family Forced Me Into A Psychiatric Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.