Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,079 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:20 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (114910 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
@jayvarley there are a lot of maroon towns throughout the island each have their own flavors.
as far as I know I am a descendant of two clans both from the eastern part of the island smiley

Portland and around st. Catherine.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:14pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:
@jay.
some of our cultural heritage is not even African.
The Maroons were taught how to jerk by the Taino Indians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8FwLM55f9c

I always thought it was the Maroons themselves who invented it.
In fact the maroons and the tainos also created the taino jerk sauce. smiley

Interesting Video. I was not aware that the platform method of cooking was from the Taino's either.

They certainly played their role in our history.

Some Jamaicans such as Colin Jackson traced their ancestry and was found to have 7% Taino/Arawak DNA

Meaning that his lineage is from the very oldest Jamaicans

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:16pm On Sep 07, 2013
ATLANTA'S MAYOR KASEEM REED OF IGBO ANCESTRY

The current mayor of Atlanta, Mr. Kaseem Reed has had his ancestry traced back to Igbo land.

In addition to the Kings and Garveys, African
Ancestry.com revealed the roots of Atlanta Mayor
Kasim Reed, who shares ancestry with the Igbo
people of Nigeria,
and Dr. Carlton Brown, president of Clark Atlanta University, who shares ancestry with the Yoruba and Fulani people of Nigeria.

http://www.africanancestry.com/blog/category/partners/

Mr. Kaseem Reed known to be a hardworking man(thanks to his Igbo genes! cheesy) has decided to run for re-election. cheesy

Oga m, I give you my full vote sir! Carry on! Igbo guy to the core. cool cool

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You have slayed him repeatedly for four whole days and this nigga got a full-time job in Nigeria?

According to this Igbo failure...we are jobless and poorly educated Americans on welfare BUT this uber "educated" Igbo with a job and degree was online ALL DAY and NIGHT for 4 days proving that even Africans do not know their history!

This nigga even co-signed with another dumb Igbo saying "an university" is ebonic! grin

Girl I swear it's not cool for niggas to print degrees and say I am educatedd when they are fucking up Diop's identity and getting slayed by "dumb" bishes. angry

@Bold...dumb woman, you're just making kails dummy feel good for nothing. She's nothing but some pathetic loser, thanks to her nomadic fulani ancestry! grin grin grin

I go die here with laughter o.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Interesting Video. I was not aware that the platform method of cooking was from the Taino's either.

They certainly played their role in our history.

Some Jamaicans such as Colin Jackson traced their ancestry and was found to have 7% Taino/Arawak DNA

Meaning that his lineage is from the very oldest Jamaicans

right and there are some maroon clans who have more in them than others.

here is another maroon woman with taino ancestry.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-3LSdonZoXwI/Twy7Un-bL9I/AAAAAAAAAF4/K2IS3VGVsWw/s640/Jamaican+Yamaye+Taino+woman.jpg[/img]

Shirley Genus from Treasure Beach (or *Savanna-la-Mar), 1993 by antiquarian Steve Solomon. She identified herself as an “Arawak”. It would be interesting to discover if she also had "shovel teeth", an Amerindian dental trait.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
colin is only 7 percent yet his taino features are strong lol

[img]http://2.bp..com/-TDpZazm8oJM/Twy7y_XOHmI/AAAAAAAAAGA/I8FMjwoMZRw/s640/Colin+Ray+Jackson_Jamaican+Taino.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You have slayed him repeatedly for four whole days and this nigga got a full-time job in Nigeria?

According to this Igbo failure...we are jobless and poorly educated Americans on welfare BUT this uber "educated" Igbo with a job and degree was online ALL DAY and NIGHT for 4 days proving that even Africans do not know their history!

This nigga even co-signed with another dumb Igbo saying "an university" is ebonic! grin

Girl I swear it's not cool for niggas to print degrees and say I am educatedd when they are fucking up Diop's identity and getting slayed by "dumb" bishes. angry

@Bold...at least you agree that I have a certificate. cool. Can you boast of any? 'An university'. Lmao!!!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
aiight jay it was awesome talking to you.
I see our talking about the tainos and akans is bothering a certain someone
who suffers from an inferiority complex so...im off to update another thread.

see you around smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

see you around smiley

Ok peace Sister

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:26pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...dumb woman, you're just making kails dummy feel good for nothing. She's nothing but some pathetic loser, thanks to her nomadic fulani ancestry! grin grin grin

I go die here with laughter o.

Yawns. Zzzzzzzzzz. Go back to viewing as a guest.

Epic failure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 9:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:
colin is only 7 percent yet his taino features are strong lol

[img]http://2.bp..com/-TDpZazm8oJM/Twy7y_XOHmI/AAAAAAAAAGA/I8FMjwoMZRw/s640/Colin+Ray+Jackson_Jamaican+Taino.jpg[/img]

A PR sista told me about her Taino heritage. I looked at some photos of Taino people....beautiful breed!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announces his re-
election bid
August 26, 2013

By Jim Galloway

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Monday formally
announced his bid for re-election. Not that this
was a surprise. Reed has $2.5 million in the bank. He faces two unimpressive human opponents in a November election. But as he made clear in front of a crowd of sign-waving supporters, the incumbent mayor will have one very real, very inhuman – and Reed would argue, largely fictional – opponent.
That would be Atlanta’s reputation as a nest of
crime and incompetence. Not that Reed is going anywhere in the next four years. The mayor said that he hoped, by paying his qualifying fee for the November tourney, “that nobody thinks that there’s any other job that’s going to take me away.”
Tearing up occasionally, he said, “I don’t want
any other job or to be doing any other thing.” In
other words, he intends to stay in Georgia
through the end of the Obama administration.
But if, after a second term as mayor, Reed
remains in electoral politics, a 2018 race for
governor would be beckoning. If that day should
ever come, Reed’s reputation – and that of the
city of Atlanta – will depend on one another.
Hence, Reed’s re-election address amounted to a
strong defense of his city.

On crime: The mayor pointed out that he’s built
the largest police force in the history of the city
of Atlanta. “Violent crime in this city is down
more than 18 percent. We had the lowest
number of murders last year – the second lowest
number,” he said, correcting himself, “since
Lyndon Baines Johnson was president of the
United States.”

http://m.ajc.com/weblogs/political-insider/2013/aug/26/late-jolt-kasim-reeds-real-re-election-opponent/

Carry on sir. Your last tenure has been terrific such that President Obama is pleased with you. You have my full vote even though I may be far away across the atlantic. You shall have my vote by proxy come november. cool

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

see you around smiley

Common Kails!, knock it off! No matter how hard you try to flood the page with youtube videos and unrelated materials to subdue the apparently obvious substantial Igbo contribution, you have woefully failed. DNA testing keeps whooping your azz each time you try. cheesy

Knock it off! The nonsense you've vomitted on this thread is enough already.

@Bold...grin grin. Please bow your head in utter shame and leave in disgrace. You have utterly no points left other than to keep parading Kwame's charts. Clueless piece of thing. grin grin

And one more thing, please don't ever come back. If you do, you're just..em...em...a typical fulani! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

A PR sista told me about her Taino heritage. I looked at some photos of Taino people....beautiful breed!

when we ride on our enemies...(original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fwg1W_C28E

grin grin

yeah black and taino is a beautiful mix kiss

second most attractive is black and east indian
and then black and Asian.

all three can be found in the Caribbean.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Yawns. Zzzzzzzzzz. Go back to viewing as a guest.

Epic failure.

Lolzzz. See this dumbo of a woman. I took a break for an hour to rush down to the barber's shop to get some clean haircut and you say I was viewing as a guest? How much dumber already could you get? grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:42pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Common Kails!, knock it off! No matter how hard you try to flood the page with youtube videos and unrelated materials to subdue the apparently obvious substantial Igbo contribution, you have woefully failed. DNA testing keeps whooping your azz each time you try. cheesy

Knock it off! The nonsense you've vomitted on this thread is enough already.

@Bold...grin grin. Please bow your head in utter shame and leave in disgrace. You have utterly no points left other than to keep parading Kwame's charts. Clueless piece of thing. grin grin

And one more thing, please don't ever come back. If you do, you're just..em...em...a typical fulani! grin grin

@Bold....grin grin

Did the bish just return? grin grin

Aww...common Kails. You just can't resist my bait can't you? tongue

Kailsuah!? tongue
Kails babeh!? tongue

grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:46pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Jayvarley

While I was at the barber's shop an hour ago, it started raining and one guy spoke 'Rain is Raining!'. I immediately remembered Madam Chima aka Dumbo Bish and her half-baked English despite growing in an all-white neighbourhood and I didn't know when I found myself rolling on the floor laughing my head out. grin

These bishes have given me a lot to laugh over this evening. Lmao! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
Who could be that guest viewing?

Madam Chima is that you? grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold....grin grin

Did the bish just return? grin grin

The Best way to conclude all of this is for diaspora's to do DNA TESTING. However at present DNA not currently at the level where it can tell all of what is present in the genetics of an individual.

Suppose I were to do a Y CHROMOSOME TEST(PASSED FROM FATHER TO SON) it would only be telling me about my father through his MALE line and nothing about my Father on his Mothers line. So even if my Father's mother was Mexican a Y DNA test would not show the Mexican.

So I will only have a partial indication of who I am

More research must be done.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2013
mrs chima what you know about this?

cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C26Gh4-nmU

I like the "Exit Tupac, Enter Makaveli" version better tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqxcAqHf6w
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

The Best way to conclude all of this is for diaspora's to do DNA TESTING. However at present DNA not currently at the level where it can tell all of what is present in the genetics of an individual.

Suppose I were to do a Y CHROMOSOME TEST it would only be telling me about my father through his MALE line and nothing about my Father on his Mothers line. So even if my Father's mother was Mexican a Y DNA test would not show the Mexican.

^^^
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

when we ride on our enemies...(original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fwg1W_C28E

grin grin

yeah black and taino is a beautiful mix kiss

second most attractive is black and east indian
and then black and Asian.

all three can be found in the Caribbean.

It is obvious Carribers are mutts but exotically beautiful!

A dark trini man told me he was straight Indian and I thinj he is lying! He is fiooooone!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Lolzzz. See this dumbo of a woman. I took a break for an hour to rush down to the barber's shop to get some clean haircut and you say I was viewing as a guest? How much dumber already could you get? grin

Yawns. Womp! Womp! Snoooze!

Now I know why there aren't very many Igbo comedians and roasters. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

It is obvious Carribers are mutts but exotically beautiful!

A dark trini man told me he was straight Indian and I thinj he is lying! He is fiooooone!

smiley

as far as the guy goes well I wouldn't know if he is lying because I don't know him but he could be considering Trinidad's indian population is higher than the black.

the "black" population is well mixed.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 10:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

smiley

as far as the guy goes well I wouldn't know if he is lying because I don't know him but he could be considering Trinidad's indian population is higher than the black.

the "black" population is well mixed.

But I have never seen a blurple Indian. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Suppose I were to do a Y CHROMOSOME TEST(PASSED FROM FATHER TO SON) it would only be telling me about my father through his MALE line and nothing about my Father on his Mothers line. So even if my Father's mother was Mexican a Y DNA test would not show the Mexican.

@Bold...absolutely. I concur. DNA testing will actually tell the true numbers and figures and corroborate or disprove slave record statistics.

No one is trying to reach an all-conclusive conclusion here though. The topic of the thread says 'Nigerian(Igbo) and African Americans'. Logically following all AA heritage pertaining to Igbo ancestry are discussed here. Another thread can be opened where the Akan ancestry, Senegambian ancestry or Congolese ancestry of African Americans can be analyzed and discussed in full details. It makes no sense trying to subdue the purpose for what this thread was created for just because of some personal bias.

Of course, the Y DNA test will only reveal your Father's line(Paternal Ancestry) which is the most important of all. Then your maternal side could be traced using the Mitochondrial DNA. The different types of DNA testing can be found in the image obtained from AfricanAncestry.com below:

I strongly support your desire to carry out a DNA test, especially on your paternal side. I'll be very glad to know the results.

Hope you had a nice day, pal?

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:24pm On Sep 07, 2013
The Igbo Paternal Ancestry of The Mingo and Sarah Bradwell Family

James I. Bradwell was born in the rolling red clay hills
of Quincy, Florida on October 15, 1898. His parents
were Ned and Agnes Bradwell. Ned?s father, Mingo
Bradwell, was the patriarch of the family, having the
first African lineage.

A recent DNA test performed on the great-grandson
of Mingo, James Bradwell Jr., successfully identified
the paternal genetic ancestry. The Y-Chromosome
DNA determined that the Bradwell family shares
ancestry with two distinct African groups; the Ibo or
Igbo people in Nigeria
and the Kimbundu people in
Angola. While these groups may differ socially and
culturally, there are people within them who share a
common genetic ancestry.
This historical DNA analysis was performed by the
renowned company that performed DNA testing on
Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones, known as African
Ancestry.

IBO OR IGBO PEOPLE OF NIGERIA
My dear family members, the day I received our
PatriClan analysis from African Ancestry, shock
waves flowed viciously through my body because I
now had a connection point of where we came from.
No longer did I depend on family legends to connect
me to the bridge of our historical past. I held
evidence, strong evidence, of who we are. Through
many hours of thorough research, I have discovered
our origin in the Ibo (IGBO) people of Nigeria
and the
Kimbundu people of Angola. First I will describe the
information found on the Ibo (IGBO) people of
Nigeria.

http://fl-genweb.org/gadsden/Bradwell_History.html
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:33pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Jayvarley

DNA testing results have really been in consistency with slave trade records. A substantial amount of AAs have been taking the tests and their ancestries have been pointing to partial/full Igbo ancestry.

For what its worth, the DNA testing, noted for its excellent efficacy, is the best way to corroborate or disprove slave trade records. And so far it has consistently shown that the Igbos were taken in substantial numbers.

Dr. Chambers concluded by saying that 'At least 60% of African Americans have at least 1 Igbo ancestor'. And his unprecedented research is proving to be true after all.

I urge you my brother. Take the test. You'll be glad you did. And if you turn out to be partially or fully Igbo as you've suspected lately, I could invite you over to Nigeria and take you on a tour round Igboland where you could visit the historical sites of Ogbunike cave, Igbo Ukwu, Nri(the ancestral home of the Igbo), Awhum Waterfalls in Enugu, The Historical Museum in Enugu, and what have you.

18 different African Americans with Igbo ancestry made a visit to Igboland last year, pioneered by a Mrs. Catherine Acholonu, an Igbo woman, who lives in the US. They visited the great ancestral Igbo places of Eri and Nri.
http://www.dailyindependentnig.com/2012/09/18-afro-americans-for-oriri-obibia-eri-festival/

Another set of 10 AAs also visited Igboland this year in July. They visited the ancient village and people of Eri in Anambra state. Their picture is given below. You can see them all dressed in native Igbo regalia. From the picture, they really had a nice time smiley

http://thegrio.com/2013/07/15/black-americans-undergo-cleansing-from-slavery-stigma-in-africa/#s:participants-in-aguleri

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Jayvarley

You might ask how your DNA sample will be taken? This is an excerpt from the same website for the Bradwell family on how their DNA sample was taken.

Also included below is how the DNA test is done.

DNA COLLECTION
The new wave of genetic technology and the massive amount of genetic information that has been released on various populations has allowed African Ancestry to connect us to our past. When asked? Are there genetic differences that allow us to determine genetic lineages (ancestry) of groups of people??, the answer is "yes!" Since we all receive half of the entire DNA in our body from our mother and the other half from our father, we can go back generation after generation to determine the percent of DNA that we received from our ancestors.

The DNA collected from the cheek of James Bradwell, Jr., was extracted by using a cotton swab. Informative genetic markers are sequenced, or genotyped. The genetic markers are then compared to a database of genetic lineages identified in specific African populations in search of a match.

The African Lineage Database, used by African Ancestry, is the largest and most comprehensive database of indigenous African maternal and paternal lineages ever collected. Again, family, thanks to the advanced technology of African Ancestry, we no longer have to rely on family myths but truths concerning our past. And most of all, the bridge to where we are going as a family and as a people has been connected.
http://fl-genweb.org/gadsden/Bradwell_History.html

This is the same Y DNA testing you're interested in carrying out. Your ancestry could link to one or 2 african tribes.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by UyiIredia(m): 11:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

That goes back to what I was saying about Yorubas being the most educated in terms of their culture and how they thrive to preserve their heritage by educating their tribe both institutionally and culturally.

Primarily, Igbos are travelers and more likely to not choose an educational journey if an opportunity to rise in business and wealth.

Southern BAs are like Yoruba whereas Northern Bas are like Igbo.

Great point sis.

Your take on Edos.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 12:06am On Sep 08, 2013
Their arrival at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport at Abuja.
Did I forget to mention? There's now an international airport in Enugu(igboland). Visitors and natives of Igboland can now fly directly to Enugu from overseas without having to drop first at Lagos or Abuja airports as done before.

53-year old Ameilda was even given a royal Igbo name, Princess Ogechi Eri, of the Eri dynasty, which she adores.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family

It is quite known that the Igbo people are a success-oriented people who have a penchant for hardwork, success, education and achievement. They are known to be well-traveled, often traveling to distant places where they make good living for themselves. They are also known to be business-minded, financially savvy and determined, taking pride in what they do and often distinguishing themselves in what ever field endeavor they find themselves in.

The aim of this essay is to showcase the unique trait for success and achievement which the Igbo people value no matter where they find themselves in using the Robeson family of North Carolina/Philadelphia as a case study.

The Robeson Family are an Igbo-African American family from North Carolina. The man, Mr. William Drew Robeson was born into slavery and later escaped from slavery in 1860 at 15 years, together with his brother, Ezekiel Robeson. His father, Benjamin Robeson, was born into slavery on the Roberson plantation near Cross Road Township and Raleigh, Martin County, North Carolina. William Robeson was of Igbo descent, having descended, through his Igbo father, from Igbo slaves enslaved from the Bight of Biafra and shipped to the Americas(North, Central and South America).

Mrs Maria Louisa Bustill-Robeson was born in 1853 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, of Igbo African, Native American, and Anglo-American descent. She was a descendant of the Igbo people on her paternal side through her great-grand father, Cyrus Bustill, an Eboe slave who had bought his freedom since mid 1700s.

The Robeson and Bustill families lived during the peak of the slave trade era, which was characterized by difficult living conditions for blacks and racial discrimination against black people(people of color). Despite the circumstances which they found themselves in, these two distinguished Eboe families worked hard and achieved success. Mr. William distinguished himself from many blacks of his time by attending college (Lincoln University) and obtaining an undergraduate degree, and later another one in Theology. Maria(often called Louisa as a child) also attended university, Lincoln University. Her great-grand father, Bustill, after escaping from slavery moved to Philadelphia where he opened a bakery business. Active with other free black leaders, Mr. Bustill became one of the founders in Philadelphia of the Free African Society in 1787, "the first mutual aid organization of African Americans. Through the years, the Bustill Eboe family achieved success and merit by becoming teachers, artists, business people, and pioneers in many professions.

Louisa was was already teaching when she met Robeson. She married Robeson in 1878 after which they had 7 children together, two of which died in infancy.

Both the Robesons emphasized education and advancement for their children. Their first daughter, Gertrude Lascet Robeson (1880), died as an infant. It was an "upwardly mobile" family; all but one of their sons were highly successful as adults, with two having professional careers. William Drew (Bill) Robeson, Jr.(1881-1927) became a physician in Washington, DC. Their daughter Marian M. Robeson (1894-1977) married Dr. William Forsythe and moved to Philadelphia; her husband became a successful businessman. Benjamin C. Robeson (1892-1966), became a minister at 'Mother Zion" African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Harlem, which was the second independent African-American denomination in the nation. John Bunyan Reeve Robeson (1886-1930) aka Reed Robeson, after being sent from home by his father for his propensity for getting into altercations with whites, married and moved to Detroit, where he worked as a laborer and may have worked at a hotel, but he died young and in poverty.

The youngest surviving child, Paul LeRoy Robeson, better known as Paul Robeson (1898-1976), became an internationally known athlete, orator, singer and actor. He also became an activist for civil rights. Another child died at birth, but the name is not known.

Noteworthy about these two notable Eboe families is that they found themselves living in the peak of slavery and surrounded by racism and difficult living circumstances for black people and despite the odds they distinguished themselves in their respective fields of endeavor. A symbolic feat for many blacks of that time.

Reading through the write up, one would notice the Igbo values of hard work, success, business mind, achievement, education, determination, and perseverance playing out in the lives of the families and their descendants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Drew_Robeson_I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Louisa_Bustill#cite_note-boyle-5

Drop your comments here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1430511/igbo-values-success-education-hardwork

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (59) (Reply)

Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!) / Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.