Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom (20798 Views)

Wife Infects Husband With HIV Most Wicked Way Possible / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! / Nigerian Doctor Who Treated Victim Infected With Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:12am On Apr 14, 2011
There are no signs specific to HIV. What we see are signs of immunosuppresion; which we can see in any immunosuppressive disorder, even diabetes if left untreated. There are some direct cytopathic effects of HIV, but this will not ordinarily manifest in the asymptomatic stage.
What tips off the clinician as to the possibility of HIV infection is a constellation of signs and symptoms.

Nobody argued with the bolded.
Although, there are no SPECIFIC signs for HIV, as the cels are being infected, the body shows "typical" abnormal signs to let the host know that something wrong is going on with his/her body.
One might not pick up the signs as being caused by HIV, thinking it's a normal sign of unbalanced health such as cold/cough. The signs later disappears until the infection progresses.

As the infection progresses into AIDs, the signs become more expressive and acute.

First you argued that there was no sign of HIV, now it's "NO SPECIFIC" sign? Duh!
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:14am On Apr 14, 2011
Like someone said, stop posting graphs that even you do not have the knowledge of explaining.

The lines and colors must have impressed you.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nekai(f): 5:14am On Apr 14, 2011
:p
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Kobojunkie: 5:16am On Apr 14, 2011
roflmao!!! grin cheesy wink cheesy grin cheesy
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 5:24am On Apr 14, 2011
^
Abeg, make I hear word. You take yourself entirely too seriously. I am not arguing with you. I am educating you. . .because of both of your appalling ignorance.
Your sister Kobo made this statement:
The news is not true . . . . I have been to AkwaIbom and the people there seem healthy and sound.[/quote]
And to defend her, you said you could diagnose HIV by looking at someone's face:
[quote author=Ileke-IdI:

Of course, someone who is not intent on searching for facial HIV symptoms would not track it right away.

I at no time attempted to pass of HIV as completely asymptomatic, you lying woman. What I said was:
aletheia:

Please note that AIDS is just the later manifestation off HIV. So let me educate you like we educate our HIV-infected patients in Nigeria: [size=14pt]"HIV no dey show for face"[/size]
Please indicate the post where I:
Ileke-IdI:

. . .argued that there was no sign of HIV. . .
Or be shown to be a lying wonder.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by sbeezy8: 5:26am On Apr 14, 2011
i refuse to believe kobo is in yankee

no signs of AIDS they look healthy abi?

shetttt mehn
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:27am On Apr 14, 2011
Why on earth are you guys arguing with a medical frikkin doctor

Smh. Nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong and learning undecided
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:29am On Apr 14, 2011
aletheia:

^
Abeg, make I hear word. You take yourself entirely too seriously. I am not arguing with you. I am educating you. . .because of both of your appalling ignorance.
Your sister Kobo made this statement:And to defend her, you said you could diagnose HIV by looking at someone's face:
I at no time attempted to pass of HIV as completely asymptomatic, you lying woman. What I said was:Please indicate the post where I:Or be shown to be a lying wonder.

Educating or begging to be educated.

Check through the crap you've written and  shame yourself again by re-posting what you assumed about the signs of HIV.

I'm currently writing a 15 page research paper, dont have the time to go back and deal with the B.S you posted. But I will deal with the B.S you WILL post.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:30am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why on earth are you guys arguing with a medical frikkin doctor 

Smh. Nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong and learning  undecided

I assume you trust the words of everyone in uniform.

By how gullible you sound, hopefully you dont end up suing a "doctor" for malpractice anytime soon.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by fstranger3(m): 5:33am On Apr 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Check through the crap you've written and  shame yourself again by re-posting what you assumed about the signs of HIV.

I'm currently writing a 15 page research paper, dont have the time to go back and deal with the B.S you posted
. But I will deal with the B.S you WILL post.

Good idea.

Face what you know and work on doing well in your college research paper. The people you are arguing with have more experience and knowledge than you. They are well beyond college level.

Good luck with your paper! Leave HIV education to people like Althea who really understand the complexity of the disease.

This is no college stuff. Definitely, not something a 22 yr old college students should be dealing with.

I am not really concerned about your ignorance, it is your inability to understand and accept when you are wrong that may eventually prove to be your undoing. What you dont know is way more than what you understand!

Have a nice day! cool
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 5:36am On Apr 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'm currently writing a 15 page research paper, dont have the time to go back and deal with the B.S you posted. But I will deal with the B.S you WILL post.
^Having been shown to be appallingly ignorant about HIV/AIDS, she attempts to prove she is not intellectually challenged and burnish her credentials by waving her supposed "15 page research paper" before us. Yeah right. Research paper indeed. angry
And yet you couldn't even read the WebMD web page you posted links to where the very first sentence (for crying out loud the first sentence!) goes thus:
Many people do not develop symptoms after getting infected with HIV.
You have the dubious distinction of being the first woman I will call a scoundrel.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Kobojunkie: 5:37am On Apr 14, 2011
sbeezy8:

i refuse to believe kobo is in yankee

no signs of AIDS they look healthy abi?

shetttt mehn

ROFLMAO!!! This is why I said reading comprehension should be stressed in schools. I even went back and explained the reason for that post, yet you IGNORED it! Yes, shettt Mehn!!! cheesy
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by fstranger3(m): 5:38am On Apr 14, 2011
aletheia:

^Having been shown to be appallingly ignorant about HIV/AIDS, she attempts to prove she is not intellectually challenged and burnish her credentials by waving her supposed "15 page research paper" before us. Yeah right. Research paper indeed. angry
And yet you couldn't even read the WebMD web page you posted links to where the very first sentence (for crying out loud the first sentence!) goes thus:You have the dubious distinction of being the first woman I will call a scoundrel.
^^^

Let her  have the last word, as usual, and drop it.

Its is not worth fighting over.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:39am On Apr 14, 2011
aletheia:

And yet you couldn't even read the WebMD web page you posted links to where the very first sentence (for crying out loud the first sentence!) goes thus:You have the dubious distinction of being the first woman I will call a scoundrel.

My friend shut up.
So this are the kinds of doctors that my people are paying for?
Once again, did you or did you not assume throughout your garbage of B.S that HIV shows no sign?

Thank you for the distinction. Coming from you, I know you prolly mean the opposite, but prolly dont know the right word to use  grin
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nekai(f): 5:40am On Apr 14, 2011
:p
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:44am On Apr 14, 2011
Ileke-Idi, true child of Ekiti  grin

My people are known for their stubbornness grin

Good luck on your essay tho.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by fstranger3(m): 5:47am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ileke-Idi, true child of Ekiti  grin

My people are known for their stubbornness grin

You and your sarcasm. grin

Good luck on your essay tho.

Same here.

She is going to kick azz. At least, she knows how to confuse the hell out of the teacher.  grin

I really can imagine how the essay would turn out. grin
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by sbeezy8: 5:49am On Apr 14, 2011
Nekai:

Not that I'm trying to derail the thread, but many people who test positive for 'HIV' end up testing negative on follow up tests. Have all of those 300,000 been retested? Probably not, because while the drug companies pump millions of dollars into Africa for 'HIV' testing and drugs, they probably don't supply money for  retesting a large population of people.

Since many other immune system problems can give false positives on the test, then what came first the chicken or the egg? Do 'HIV' positive people die of AIDS or do they die from what millions of people died from prior to the discovery of 'AIDS' in the 1980's: things like malnutrition and immune system weakness and the subsequent opportunistic infections?

HIV people will die of aids, malnutrition and immune system problems arent really a big deal in naija honestly.

HIV is a problem esp in a state where many are educated westernized more aware of things like this
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by sbeezy8: 5:51am On Apr 14, 2011
Kobo

Akwa ibom people look nice heallllddyyyy ke? o ma se ooooo

she claims shes in yankeeeeeee
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:53am On Apr 14, 2011
sbeezy8:

Kobo

Akwa ibom people look nice heallllddyyyy ke? o ma se ooooo

she claims shes in yankeeeeeee

She was being sarcastic and in her following posts, she already explained her sarcasm.

Doesnt take much energy to read undecided tongue
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:53am On Apr 14, 2011
here is Houston?

I need to tell him a problem.

Dokita?
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:54am On Apr 14, 2011
fstranger3:

You and your sarcasm. grin

One of the few times I'm actually not being sarcastic, lol. We are stubborn as mules, most of us.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by fstranger3(m): 5:57am On Apr 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

One of the few times I'm actually not being sarcastic, lol. We are stubborn as mules, most of us.

But I have never seen you act as ignorant.

Most times, when you dont know, you just confess. Which is the mature way to behave.

Copying stuff off of google and trying to pass it off as genuine knowledge is something no reasonable person should do.

Anyway, to each his own.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:58am On Apr 14, 2011
fstranger is just taking his usual opportunity to take a jab at people.

Usual Omo Ile-Ife. Ancient city.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 6:01am On Apr 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Once again, did you or did you not assume throughout your garbage of B.S that HIV shows no sign?

Thank you for the distinction. Coming from you, I know you prolly mean the opposite, but prolly dont know the right word to use  grin
^You are the one arguing with yourself about HIV. Again I ask you to show me the post where I said:
. . .argued that there was no sign of HIV. . .

What I simply pointed out was that most people with HIV infection look healthy and are asymptomatic. For example; how are the sentinel surveys in Nigeria carried out; by examining pregnant women in the Antenatal clinics. This demographic is chosen because they fall within the sexually active age groups which are most at risk for infection. It would interest you to note that nearly all the woman found to be HIV-positive in the ANC do not manifest any symptoms; they are in all respects like every other pregnant woman coming for antenatal care. It only by the routine HIV-test that these women discover that they are infected.

Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! This is why I said reading comprehension should be stressed in schools. I even went back and explained the reason for that post, yet you IGNORED it! Yes, shettt Mehn!!! cheesy
^Kobo up to her usual dishonest trick of altering her posts, after been shown to be incorrect. In an attempt to dig herself out of a hole; she added the following words to her intial post. Unfortunately, she makes her case worse:
Anyone who has not been to Akwa Ibom in recent years ought to go back there to see. This report is not true at all.
^To argue that because the people she observed in Akwa-Ibom look healthy; therefore the report is wrong, is plain silly, misleading and downright mischievous, because the vast majority of people with HIV infection are to all intents and purposes healthy and do not know they are already infected with HIV.
In our clinic which caters for over 10,000 patients, most of them come to us when AIDS has started manifesting and usually this is when the CD4 cells have declined below 200. AIDS on will manifest at about 2 - 10 years after the initial HIV infection (on average in Nigeria at about 5 years). Where were these individuals in the preceding five years - they were going about their daily activities looking for all the world to their friends, family and sex-partners as healthy.

With a national prevalence of ~4%; this implies that there are millions of people infected in Nigeria. In all of Nigeria, only about 300,000 people or so are on treatment. Only those that know that they have HIV are on treatment; so where are the millions who do not know and who are not on treatment? They are out there in the community, living among us, a lot of them practicing unsafe sex and passing on the virus to unsuspecting others.

"HIV no dey show for face".
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by dayokanu(m): 6:03am On Apr 14, 2011
I believe Kobojunkie was being sarcastic.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 6:06am On Apr 14, 2011
aletheia:

^You are the one arguing with yourself about HIV. Again I ask you to show me the post where I said:
What I simply pointed out was that most people with HIV infection look healthy and are asymptomatic. For example; how are the sentinel surveys in Nigeria carried out; by examining pregnant women in the Antenatal clinics. This demographic is chosen because they fall within the sexually active age groups which are most at risk for infection. It would interest you to note that nearly all the woman found to be HIV-positive in the ANC do not manifest any symptoms; they are in all respects like every other pregnant woman coming for antenatal care. It only by the routine HIV-test that these women discover that they are infected.
^Kobo up to her usual dishonest trick of altering her posts, after been shown to be incorrect. In an attempt to dig herself out of a hole; she added the following words to her intial post. Unfortunately, she makes her case worse:^To argue that because the people she observed in Akwa-Ibom look healthy; therefore the report is wrong, is plain silly, misleading and downright mischievous, because the vast majority of people with HIV infection are to all intents and purposes healthy and do not know they are already infected with HIV.
In our clinic which caters for over 10,000 patients, most of them come to us when AIDS has started manifesting and usually this is when the CD4 cells have declined below 200. AIDS on will manifest at about 2 - 10 years after the initial HIV infection (on average in Nigeria at about 5 years). Where were these individuals in the preceding five years - they were going about their daily activities looking for all the world to their friends, family and sex-partners as healthy.

With a national prevalence of ~4%; this implies that there are millions of people infected in Nigeria. In all of Nigeria, only about 300,000 people or so are on treatment. Only those that know that they have HIV are on treatment; so where are the millions who do not know and who are not on treatment? They are out there in the community, living among us, a lot of them practicing unsafe sex and passing on the virus to unsuspecting others.

"HIV no dey show for face".

You're going around in a circle. . . .something they taught you in Mushin Aba-Ile Medical school abi?

"HIV shows for face", want us to go through this again? grin
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 6:08am On Apr 14, 2011
dayokanu:

I believe Kobojunkie was being sarcastic.
^No she was not. She said the report was untrue. She was being ignorant. She said:
Kobojunkie:

The news is not true . . . . I have been to AkwaIbom and the people there seem healthy and sound. Anyone who has not been to Akwa Ibom in recent years ought to go back there to see. This report is not true at all.  smiley
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Kobojunkie: 6:08am On Apr 14, 2011
grin grin

Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by fstranger3(m): 6:09am On Apr 14, 2011
^^^

The joke is on you, hag!
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 6:11am On Apr 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You're going around in a circle. .  . .something they taught you in Mushin Aba-Ile Medical school abi?

"HIV shows for face", want us to go through this again? grin
^I already told you I know your type. Keep practicing unsafe sex.
Since you can diagnose HIV by "looking at the face" tell me if this poor man has HIV or not:
[img]http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,2330906_1,00.jpg[/img]

P.S. Kobo can also join you in attempting the diagnosis.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by kandiikane(m): 6:11am On Apr 14, 2011
Did you guys see my post on our HIV came to be in humans? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Doctor Anweh Damian Dies Of COVID-19 Disease In Benue / US Coronavirus Death Toll Rises To 6 / Recovered Patients Of Severe COVID-19 Infection More Likely To Die Within A Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.