Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,488 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? (455 Views)

Gay Son Who Dumped Homosexual Lifestyle Was Saved By His Mother's Prayer / Which Comes First: Repentance Or Faith? / New Photos Of Lizzy, Drug Addict Saved By Pastor Tony Rapu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by haddeylium(m): 4:15pm On Mar 16, 2021
This is an interesting question that most people do give contradictory answers to.
We can find answer to this question by examining the scriptures and the account of Noah.
Many People read about how Noah and his family was saved from destruction of that great flood but, people don't pay attention to the work that went into his salvation.

Have you ever imagine the effort that Noah and his family put into that enormous Ark project with the absence of Modern tools and Modern way of construction? (The Ark was 437 feet long, 73 feet wide and 44 feet tall.) It took Noah more than 40years to complete the Ark project.(Genesis 6:9,13–16, 22)
Did he have enough faith in God’s to do this massive project? YES!

Would that faith would have been genuine if he didn't build the Ark(work)? I Agree with you NO!

So, What do you think Saved Noah? His Faith or his work?
The obvious answer is, he had to have both, because one without the other would have not worked
James was familiar with this account that he confidently wrote that :
-Faith without work is dead -James 2:26.
A genuine faith must be followed by works .Noah wouldn't saved himself by only having faith in God's if he didn't accompanied it with Work.

However, no amount of works someone do that can earn him salvation because it is purely underserved kindness (Grace). No Adam descendant merit this No matter how noble his works are(Eph 2:8,9).
God in his infinte mercy is extending this gift of salvation to people that exercise faith in Jesus and demonstrate that faith by obeying his commands( Acts 4:10,12 compare with Heb 5:9)
In Summary,both faith and works are essential in gaining everlasting life

Likewise, Jehovah’s Witnesses believe God’s promise of everlasting life for all who obey him. We strive to share our faith with others, hoping that they will benefit from God’s promises.

My Post is for those who have deep interest in Bible and what it really teaches and I quoted scriptures to support my comment. It is not meant to challenge or dispute any personal belief and nor will I debate such. if your comments/questions are civil, I'll reply them'

Thank you and have a nice day.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by haddeylium(m): 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2021
Join millions of People in the special event coming up on 27th of this month as they will be demonstrating their faith in appreciation of Jesus ransom sacrifice.

DappaD:

And so in obedience of Christ’s command, Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide annually commemorate the death of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Luke 22:19
Join me, haddeylium(OP) and a host of millions around the globe (virtually) in this special event coming up on the 27th of this month of March for the annual commemoration of Christ’s death through ZOOM!
Visit JW.ORG for more information on how to connect to the program.

Due to the Pandemic , it will hold virtually too on Jw.org
You can stream to join the special event on that day
Use this keyword: Memorial of Jesus' death
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by SanctifiedSista(f): 5:38pm On Mar 16, 2021
Lol. Christians must take faith as a course in the university. Study books from anointed men of God like apostle Selman Joshua, David OYEDEPO Kenneth Hagin,etc
Also they must not miss house fellowship, Sunday service and even morning prayers on Domi stream. Also testimonies. They fire up faith like never before.. congratulations..u will pass this course
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2021
A very pivotal question most folks refuse to ask is this "What are you in fact saved from ?". By realizing the answer to this very simple question, one in fact gains an understanding of what teaching applies as far as Salvation/being saved is concerned.

According to the Gospel of John, Salvation is not from sin itself, but instead, from Death - The condemnation of sin.

John 3 vs 16-21 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16. “For God so loved the world,[i] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
17. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
18. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
19. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
20. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.
21. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
From the above, we are informed that whoever believes is not condemned but instead granted eternal life. So, we know that those who obey the commandment here, believing in Jesus Christ, are not condemned but receive eternal life. So, next question - "What else must those who believe do"? and "And what else is there to do in order to get this eternal life which seems to be the end result of believing in Jesus Christ"?
A quick search through scriptures reveals that those who believe and are baptized are saved - have salvation.

Mark 16 vs 15-18 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. He said to them, “Go everywhere in the world. Tell the Good News to everyone.
16. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. But those who do not believe will be judged guilty.
17. And the people who believe will be able to do these things as proof: They will use my name to force demons out of people. They will speak in languages they never learned.
18. If they pick up snakes or drink any poison, they will not be hurt. They will lay their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
Another search, reveals that those who have eternal life are those who eat the body and drink the blood of Jesus Christ.

Putting it all together, it is revealed from the teachings of Jesus Christ that in order to be saved, one not only need to believe Jesus Christ is who He says He is, but one must also be baptized and partake of the Last supper in order to realize results of Salvation i.e. be Saved. And this can only be gained through the obedience of the instructions given by Jesus Christ which require works on our part.

Now, the next question to ask is "What is the relationship between Faith and works..".... and this for another post.
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
SanctifiedSista:
Lol. Christians must take faith as a course in the university. Study books from anointed men of God like apostle Selman Joshua, David OYEDEPO Kenneth Hagin,etc
Also they must not miss house fellowship, Sunday service and even morning prayers on Domi stream. Also testimonies. They fire up faith like never before.. congratulations..u will pass this course
Did Jesus Christ command any of His followers to take such courses? undecided
If no, what in the world do these courses have to do with anything Jesus Christ taught on what it means to be saved? undecided
If yes, where, in the Gospels, can this be found? undecided
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by SanctifiedSista(f): 6:01pm On Mar 16, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Did Jesus Christ command any of His followers to take such courses? undecided
If no, what in the world do these courses have to do with anything Jesus Christ taught on what it means to be saved? undecided
If yes, where, in the Gospels, can this be found? undecided
how old are u? I said take faith like u are taking a course in the university. It's a life course that calls for careful study unless u will be stagnated with no hardly no testimonies to give. If u don't still understand, then I will have to train u if u are interested. These are spiritual matters grin
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by Kobojunkie: 6:04pm On Mar 16, 2021
SanctifiedSista:
how old are u? I said take faith like u are taking a course in the university. It's a life course that calls for careful study unless u will be stagnated with no hardly no testimonies to give. If u don't still understand, then I will have to train u if u are interested. These are spiritual matters grin
My bad! undecided
However, faith, as taught by Jesus Christ, has to do with our trust and obedience to His teachings. Our obedience realized through our works.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by DappaD: 6:09pm On Mar 16, 2021
Great points up there @OP !

Even Jesus made mention of “exercising” faith in him to gain everlasting life. John 3:16
Certainly, “exercising” means “working/acting out” on one’s faith by obedience to God’s commands as Jesus later pointed out in John 3:36 see also Philippians 2:12.

Like you said, everlasting life is a free, precious gift(Romans 6:23) but if one shows contempt/lack of appreciation for that gift, it can be taken away from him. Matthew 21:43 compare Genesis 3:19

Since Jehovah’s Witnesses actively demonstrate their faith publicly through works i.e. preaching and teaching about Jehovah and his Kingdom(Romans 10:10), they therefore have a righteous standing before God. Revelation 7:9-10

And so in obedience to Christ’s command, Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide annually commemorate the death of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Luke 22:19
Join me, haddeylium(OP) and a host of millions around the globe (virtually) in this special event coming up on the 27th of this month of March for the annual commemoration of Christ’s death through ZOOM!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:46pm On Mar 16, 2021
The Only Way To Be Saved is To be Cleansed from Sins and Remaining "Sinless" (Blameless).

The Law is "Let your garments be as white as Snow!"

Now, naturally once a soul is upon the earth, he MUST work his work whether Acts or Omissions!

And he Shall be Judged by All His Works both Actions and Omissions!
Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by haddeylium(m): 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2021
DappaD:
Great points up there @OP !

Even Jesus made mention of “exercising” faith in him to gain everlasting life. John 3:16
Certainly, “exercising” means “working/acting out” on one’s faith by obedience to God’s commands as Jesus later pointed out in John 3:36 see also Philippians 2:12.

Like you said, everlasting life is a free, precious gift(Romans 6:23) but if one shows contempt/lack of appreciation for that gift, it can be taken away from him. Matthew 21:43 compare Genesis 3:19

Since Jehovah’s Witnesses actively demonstrate their faith publicly through works i.e. preaching and teaching about Jehovah and his Kingdom(Romans 10:10), they therefore have a righteous standing before God. Revelation 7:9-10

And so in obedience of Christ’s command, Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide annually commemorate the death of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Luke 22:19

Apt!

1 Like

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by sagenaija: 8:52am On Mar 17, 2021
The barrier - Sin
"She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name him Jesus (The LORD is salvation), for He will save His people from their sins " Matthew 1:21

"The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!""
John 1:29

"The Spirit of the LORD is upon me ...... to announce release (pardon, forgiveness) to the captives, ....... set free those who are oppressed ....."
Luke 4:18

The solution - God's Grace Provision
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified FREELY by his GRACE through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through FAITH in his blood ..."
Romans 3:23-25

"Where, then, is boasting? It is EXCLUDED ... For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law"
Romans 3:27-28

"For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith and this NOT from YOURSELVES, it is the GIFT of God NOT BY WORKS, so that no one can boast"
Ephesians 2:8

"He saved us, NOT BECAUSE OF ANY WORKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS that we have done but because of his own compassion and mercy ......"
Titus 3:5

Salvation is by FAITH ALONE in CHRIST ALONE. Man's works is excluded. Therefore man takes no credit. God gets all the credit.

1 Like

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2021
Where most people got it wrong is their inability to define FAITH. Hebrews 11:1

FAITH can't stand without WORKS {James 2:18-26} but the secret is who determines the type of WORKS that will serve as evidence that someone truly has FAITH?

Most people just assume that once they're able to do certain things that's good enough for approval by the many that is fine WORKS and majority today feel all they need is just to keep saying "Jesus" everytime, to them that is FAITH!

Well what is FAITH and how can we support our faith by WORKS?

First of all we mustn't forget that FAITH is all about getting the approval of God (whom we can't see with our physical eyes) {Hebrews 11:6} so our faith must be proved by adhering to what God asked us to do even when it's not palatable {Hebrews 11:17} our faith in the person giving us orders matters most! Hebrews 11:19

So while FAITH in Jesus means obeying his instructions, we must prove to be his faithful by doing the WORKS he assigned to his followers with the hope that we will be joyful {Luke 10:17} while doing so because we are serving the happy God {1Timothy 1:11} therefore if we find out in anyway that our services (WORKS) is perfunctory then no matter the Religion we belong it simply means our worship is not approved by God. Romans 10:13-15 smiley

Whether we are WORKING for money or we are WORKING for God what we want is satisfaction that's why Jesus who understood our nature said "you can't serve two Masters and please them equally" {Luke 16:13} true happiness only comes from WORKING heartily for God {John 4:34} not pursuing material possessions! Luke 18:18-23 smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Faithful Christains Saved By Work Or Faith? by budaatum: 11:06pm On Mar 17, 2021
One is unworthy.

But for the Grace of God who so loves one did the Lord God send the Messiah that one may hear the Word of God and accept Jesus Christ as one's Lord and Saviour. The acceptance of this free gift, believing, so to say, despite being ignorant about it, is indeed how one is saved aleluya amen, for one could be unfortunate to "not have much soil" or be "soil amongst thorns" on which the "word falls and is choked to death" bearing no fruit at all.

That belief you now have sown in you inspires you to seek to learn about your Saviour, which is done by reading the Bible; and the Bible being a big book, can not be read least one work at it (and I do not mean Sunday church reading, picking a chapter here and a verse there as many do, but from the Beginning to the End without missing a single word).

Reading, however, is the beginning of your work. One can read the Bible and believe it and be done as some do, but some will seek for an understanding of what they have read which is more work. And yet, by the Grace of God! For if Jesus Christ had not sent you the Holy Ghost and Comforter to minister to you, all your work trying to understand is work in vain!

You may be the fortunate who loves the Lord God with all your heart and soul and being and hence be given to understand the Kingdom of God. You will pick up your cross, so to speak, big and heavy, being made of very heavy timber as you will find when it is on your back and feel it's weight on you. But carry it you will, which is work. Because if you have done the work of building up what is commonly called your spiritual muscles, it would not only feel like Simon of Cyrene carries it for you, though when goodness and mercy works on your behalf it would seem so, for the Power of Christ in you will empower you to such an extent that you would be strong enough to bear your cross and the crosses of others too, which is what I see the likes of Oyedepo doing - not so much by giving bread which is as stone, but by making you a Fishers of People, which is what he does, teaching those who go on to establish in their own right. After all, see ye not his fruits?

Some may accuse me of claiming I have said here that "work justifies". But I would have you consider, justify in who's eye? Surely not in the sight of those whom darkness has overcome and who see not! And besides, "study", which is predominantly the work I have listed above, is not to be done where you are to be seen doing it least you be justified by your fellow humans and your head puff up or you be disturbed and asked to go and play instead. The work I have listed above is not done to justify you nor be justified by you as you are not the one sitting at the right hand of God judging the living and the dead, but to the Glory of the Lord God Almighty alone whom one serves.

Be wise therefore and fill not only your lamp but also your jars with that which moths cannot get at because you do not know the day or the hour when the bridegroom will arrive.

"Oro Ut Omnes Sequantur Viam Ad Veram Vitam"

(1) (Reply)

Freewill Vs Determinism / 40 YEARS AFTER; Pastor Adeboye Annoints Bishop Again - The Photos / Afternoon Sex During Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.