Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 (1751 Views)

3 Nigerian Banks Change Their Names; Sterling Splits Into 2 / Over $1billion In This Picture And Not ONE Black Owned... / MTN Returns To Profit As It Overcomes $1billion Nigeria Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by CobraAnambra: 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2021
Some companies owned by Nigerians have attained unicorn status. They are now Valued in millions of US dollars.

Here is a big congratulations to all of them.

seun
Mynd44
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by CobraAnambra: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2021
Tope Awotona

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by CobraAnambra: 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2021
Cityblock Owner, Dr. Toyin Ajayi

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by CobraAnambra: 8:36pm On Mar 16, 2021
More

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by NyamiriFlathead: 8:42pm On Mar 16, 2021
Nyamiris are in severe pain right now God continue to bless yorubaland

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 16, 2021
God bless Nigerians

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 16, 2021
While you own startsups with little or no shares.

We own Nigeria with 100% shares.

We receive 100% dividend on our shares every year grin

Anyway...goodlucks to the guys, they did well...2 of the companies are in america while 1 is in Nigeria.
Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by kettykin: 9:31pm On Mar 16, 2021
NyamiriFlathead:
Nyamiris are in severe pain right now
God continue to bless yorubaland

the first ever unicorn owned by African was by chinedu Echeruo , as i am writing this another igbo man Ndubuisi Ekekwe has patents and inventions used by Apple , the Nyamiri's are not in this league with anyone , i will open post about startups owned by igbos.

Not forgetting the father of all business incubation models in the world , the world acclaimed Igbo apprentice system which is being studied by the best Universities in the world (MIT)and has been rated as the biggest and most efficient venture capitalist and Incubator in the world

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by NyamiriFlathead: 9:40pm On Mar 16, 2021
kettykin:

the first ever unicorn owned by African was by chinedu Echeruo , as i am writing this another igbo man Ndubuisi Ekekwe has patents and inventions used by Apple , the Nyamiri's are not in this league with anyone , i will open post about startups owned by igbos
story for the gods

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 16, 2021
kettykin:

the first ever unicorn owned by African was by chinedu Echeruo , as i am writing this another igbo man Ndubuisi Ekekwe has patents and inventions used by Apple , the Nyamiri's are not in this league with anyone , i will open post about startups owned by igbos.

Not forgetting the father of all business incubation models in the world , the world acclaimed Igbo apprentice system which is being studied by the best Universities in the world (MIT)and has been rated as the biggest and most efficient venture capitalist and Incubator in the world

The first ever african unicorn is owned by a south African not a igbo man.

The second unicorn in Africa and the first unicorn in Nigeria is African internet Group, the parent company of jumai.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by StreetFight: 9:52pm On Mar 16, 2021
kettykin:

Self praise is good, but when you begin to praise yourself above God, then it is psychiatric disorders and hallucinations
Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by kettykin: 9:53pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

The first ever african unicorn is owned by a south African not a igbo man.

The second unicorn in Africa and the first unicorn in Nigeria is African internet Group, the parent company of jumai.

These are all African based unicorn , i am talking of not just African based unicorn
Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
kettykin:

These are all African based unicorn , i am talking of not just African based unicorn

Then elon musk and paypal before 2000

2 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by kettykin: 9:59pm On Mar 16, 2021
StreetFight:

Self praise is good, but when you begin to praise yourself above God, then it is psychiatric disorders and hallucinations

Did you see God in my post or are you looking for a last line of defense

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by LegendHero(m): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2021
kettykin:

I have always told people that care to know on Nairaland that they MUST re-validate any information from an Igbo man. It has been established that Igbos don't speak with fact and their words are usually figment of their imagination 98% of the time.

--Firstly, a Unicorn company are usually startups at those stage of entry, and they are usually startups with valuation of above $1billion.

--Secondly, the only Nigeria affiliated companies in the Unicorn are those three names Calendly, Flutterwave, and City Block.

--Thirdly, there are speculations that Interswitch achieved Unicorn status then too then but I think they were not officially inducted.

Chinedu Echeruo sold his company (HopStop) to Apple in 2013 and never achieved Unicorn status officially with that startup. African Leadership Magazine were the one that reported then that the company was bought for $1B by Apple but the source is speculative because Apple keep secrecy about how much they acquire companies so that figure is not official and just speculative. There is no where you will see HopStop included in any official Unicorn status. I dare you to provide your source.

The second name Ndubisi Ekekwe is inconsequential in this regard coz his company does not come near any Unicorn Status.

The remaining jargon about 2by2 kiosk and the IPOB Bureau of statistics chestbeating rubbish should be restricted to your village meeting in Alaigbo and not brought to sane minds online. Just like the Nnewi millionaire fabrication which was debunked because the writer just based his report on his conversation with someone while drinking a bottle without any research. Bunch of chestbeating jokers. When did a Ted talk of 2by2 shop ever become a source of truth? IPOB logic always amaze sane mind.

--Below is the link to the list of official Unicorn Status company by CBS:
https://www.cbinsights.com/research-unicorn-companies .

Here you can see Flutterwave, Calendly, and Cityblock Health. I can't find any other Nigerian affilated company on it in the list of over 590+.

If not that you are dubious, I don't expect any sane Igbo man to contend with Yorubas in Fintechs and Startups generally, we are the best and no other Nigerian tribe come close. This is not ordinary statement, it is a FACTUAL statement.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 16, 2021
LegendHero:

I have always told people that care to know on Nairaland that they MUST re-validate any information from an Igbo man. It has been established that Igbos don't speak with fact and their words are usually figment of their imagination 98% of the time.

--Firstly, a Unicorn company are usually startups at those stage of entry, and they are usually startups with valuation of above $1billion.

--Secondly, the only Nigeria affiliated companies in the Unicorn are those three names Calendly, Flutterwave, and City Block.

--Thirdly, there are speculations that Interswitch achieved Unicorn status then too then but I think they were not officially inducted.

Chinedu Echeruo sold his company to Apple in 2013 and never achieved Unicorn status with that startup. African Leadership Magazine were the one that reported then that the company was bought for $1B by Apple but the source is speculative because Apple keep secrecy about how much they acquire companies so that figure is not official and just speculative.

The second name Ndubisi Ekekwe is inconsequential in this regard coz his company does not come near any Unicorn Status.

The remaining jargon about 2by2 kiosk and the IPOB Bureau of statistics chestbeating rubbish should be restricted to your village meeting in Alaigbo and not brought to sane minds online. Just like the Nnewi millionaire fabrication which was debunked because the writer just based his report on his conversation with someone while drinking a bottle without any research. Bunch of chestbeating jokers.

Below is the link to the list of official Unicorn Status company by CBS:

Here you can see Flutterwave, Calendly, and Cityblock Health. I can't find any other Nigerian affilated company on it in the list of over 590+.

If not that you are dubious, I don't expect any sane Igbo man to contend with Yorubas in Fintechs and Startups generally, we are the best and no other Nigerian tribe come close. This is not ordinary statement, it is a FACTUAL statement.

Why are you wicked grin

6 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by theTranslator: 10:55pm On Mar 16, 2021
South Nigeria amaka!

PROUDIGBO:

If you want to pick a moniker, why not pick one that represents you as a Yoruba? Or is your entire existence on social media all about e-fights and measuring dick with Igbos?
Tell that to
Mabizeka
Spending123
Burnu1stson
Impostors
IPOB are the no1 impostors on NL

We all know

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by theTranslator: 10:57pm On Mar 16, 2021
LegendHero:

Chinedu Echeruo sold his company to Apple in 2013 and never achieved Unicorn status with that startup. African Leadership Magazine were the one that reported then that the company was bought for $1B by Apple but the source is speculative because Apple keep secrecy about how much they acquire companies so that figure is not official and just speculative.

The remaining jargon about 2by2 kiosk and the IPOB Bureau of statistics chestbeating rubbish should be restricted to your village meeting in Alaigbo and not brought to sane minds online. Just like the Nnewi millionaire fabrication which was debunked because the writer just based his report on his conversation with someone while drinking a bottle without any research. Bunch of chestbeating jokers.

Below is the link to the list of official Unicorn Status company by CBS:

IPOB=lies we all know

5 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by flokii: 10:59pm On Mar 16, 2021
All Yorubas... we're indeed silent achievers and not empty chestbeaters like some people.

Nairaland should be on that list.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Monogamy: 10:59pm On Mar 16, 2021
Wow...

Yoruba Lagba

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 16, 2021
LegendHero:

Chinedu Echeruo sold his company (HopStop) to Apple in 2013 and never achieved Unicorn status with that startup. African Leadership Magazine were the one that reported then that the company was bought for $1B by Apple but the source is speculative because Apple keep secrecy about how much they acquire companies so that figure is not official and just speculative. There is no where you will see HopStop included in any official Unicorn status. I dare you to provide your source.

The remaining jargon about 2by2 kiosk and the IPOB Bureau of statistics chestbeating rubbish should be restricted to your village meeting in Alaigbo and not brought to sane minds online. Just like the Nnewi millionaire fabrication which was debunked because the writer just based his report on his conversation with someone while drinking a bottle without any research. Bunch of chestbeating jokers. When did a Ted talk of 2by2 shop ever become a source of truth? IPOB logic always amaze sane mind.

See as you give Kettykin a bloody nose grin

6 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2021
CobraAnambra:
Cityblock Owner, Dr. Toyin Ajayi

Dr Toyin Ajayi is the Chief Health Officer of Cityblock, she is not the owner of city block.

City block is owned by Alphabet (Sidewalk Labs)

Iyah​ ​Romm​ ​is​ ​the​ ​Founder​ ​and​ ​CEO​ ​of​ ​Cityblock

1 Like

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Monogamy: 11:05pm On Mar 16, 2021
LegendHero:

Chinedu Echeruo sold his company (HopStop) to Apple in 2013 and never achieved Unicorn status officially with that startup. African Leadership Magazine were the one that reported then that the company was bought for $1B by Apple but the source is speculative because Apple keep secrecy about how much they acquire companies so that figure is not official and just speculative. There is no where you will see HopStop included in any official Unicorn status. I dare you to provide your source.

Chop knuckle.. 5 Rose for you

Those people's lies na ogbonge.. People wey go lie wey Agbelebu go dey yinmu....

5 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by LegendHero(m): 11:10pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Dr Toyin Ajayi is the Chief Health Officer of Cityblock, she is not the owner of city block.

City bbock is owned by Alphabet (Sidewalk Labs)

Iyah​ ​Romm​ ​is​ ​the​ ​Founder​ ​and​ ​CEO​ ​of​ ​Cityblock

Another IPOB logic.

She is the Co-founder of Cityblock.

There are three founders: Iyah Romm, Toyin Ajayi, and Bay Gross. I think Mat Balez later joined them.

These companies are not 2by2, we are talking about billion $$ investment that most times require multi-ownership.

You guys need to stop disgracing yourselves online.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by EMMY76: 11:10pm On Mar 16, 2021
Nice one yorubas are very good in the IT sector.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 16, 2021
[quote author=LegendHero post=99946557]

Another IPOB logic.

There are three founders: Iyah Romm, Toyin Ajayi, and Bay Gross.

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Monogamy: 11:14pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

She is not the co founder.

You sometimes like to argue blindly
Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by LegendHero(m): 11:16pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

She is not the co founder.

When I tell you something, you should accept it as the TRUTH. I always provide my sources.

Below is a Bloomberg report when CityHealth achieved Unicorn Status. Can you see Toyin Ajayi name as co-founder?

I help you attach picture below because I learnt some of you can't read.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-10/health-startup-for-low-income-patients-hits-1-billion-valuation

2 Likes

Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 16, 2021
LegendHero:

Another IPOB logic.

There are three founders: Iyah Romm, Toyin Ajayi, and Bay Gross. I think Mat Balez later joined them.

These companies are not 2by2, we are talking about billion $$ investment that most times require multi-ownership.

Iyah Romm employed her as co founder according to the story.
Re: 3 Nigerian Owned Startups Valued Over $1billion In 2021 by LegendHero(m): 11:18pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Iyah Romm employed her as co founder according to the story.

How do you employ someone as co-founder? I'm confused with this IPOB logic.

By the way where do you get this tales by moonlight story from?

I shouldn't have wasted my time replying you.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

1,000 Carat Diamond For Sales / BITCOIN: List Of Sites That Give FREE Bitcoins! / Urgent Assistance Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.