Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,562 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture (2843 Views)

University Of Ibadan International School Shut Over Hijab As Parents Kick / The 5 Muslim Students Suspended For Wearing Hijab To School In Lagos (Photo) / Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

Can u prove it from quran that hijab is Islamic wear?

Christians have their scarfs where they cover their head, infact orthodox Christians have something similar to an hijab.

Infacts even nuns wear something close to an hijab.

Hijab is an arabic word for viel. It can also be khimar.

It was created as a standard for modestly for women.

Surah 24:31, tell women to cover their private parts and protect their bossom with khimar.

Surah 33:59, here it is telling women to wear outer garments when they go out, so that they are not harassed.

Thess are your nuns wear veils which in arabic can be called hijab and khimar.

It seems you have forgotten your Christian traditions because of so called modernization.

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

He would not reply. He ran away. Islam is about power and politics. Islam is more of political institution than religion . Every Muslim practices jihad in various forms . War is a form. Hijab is a form. Helping only muslims is a form. Selling products or providing services to muslims at a cheaper rate is form. Creating and lying to non-muslims is a form. Marrying non-Muslim girls is a form.

Islam is political
Islam is a religion
Islam is a way of life

Like wise christianity and other religions.

Western banking, western education and western politics all have its foundation on christianity.

So you have no point.

Christians are against Islamic way of life likewise muslims.

If Christians are for peace , why are Christian nations trying to persuade Muslim nations to accept their way of life, western nations aka Christian civilization keep threatening saudi arabia with so call freedom which are Christian in nature.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Thereddevil: 10:32am On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Christians have their scarfs where they cover their head, infact orthodox Christians have something similar to an hijab.

Surah 24:31, tell women to cover their private parts and protect their bossom with khimar.

Surah 33:59, here it is telling women to wear outer garments when they go out, so that they are not harassed.

It seems you have forgotten your Christian traditions because of so called modernization.
So then because I'm an orthodox Christian, my daughter should wear scarf to school whilst it's not the school's accepted mode of dressing? Talking about the nuns, it's just a way of distinguishing a nun from a member and it's not a part of the bible.. And because I'm an orthodox Christian, I should wear scarves to work even when it's forbidden by the company? Why not leave and go to a place I'd be accepted?
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 18, 2021
Thereddevil:

So then because I'm an orthodox Christian, my daughter should wear scarf to school whilst it's not the school's accepted mode of dressing? Talking about the nuns, it's just a way of distinguishing a nun from a member and it's not a part of the bible.. And because I'm an orthodox Christian, I should wear scarves to work even when it's forbidden by the company? Why not leave and go to a place I'd be accepted?

Christians can wear scarf to school without trouble but when a muslims put on hijab it becomes a problem, as if hijab will convert all the Christians into Muslims.

The nun covering is in the bible, it is all about women should dress modestly and cover themselves.

1 Corinthians 11:7 tells women to cover their hair

The num dressing shows how Christian in the past dressed but Christians have allowed modernism to destroy their traditions
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Thereddevil: 10:51am On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Christians can wear scarf to school without trouble but when a muslims put on hijab it becomes a problem, as if hijab will convert all the Christians into Muslims.

The nun covering is in the bible, it is all about women should dress modestly and cover themselves.

1 Corinthians 11:7 tells women to cover their hair

The num dressing shows how Christian in the past dressed but Christians have allowed modernism to destroy their traditions
No no, covering the hair isn't a mode of dressing for Christians, only done when you wanna pray or prophecy... That's just for the church.. A man can't wear a cap in the church, doesn't mean he can't wear it outside the church... You just quoted a part of the bible and defined the context like you truly knew it.. Read all of that portion and you'd realise what it means... And I've not seen a student wearing a scarf to a missionary school, they all have their hair cut according to the school's rules. In community school, Muslims wear hijabs and Christians can't wear scarves cos it's not a part of the rules.. You either wear a hijab or come to school with a shaved uncovered head
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 18, 2021
Thereddevil:

No no, covering the hair isn't a mode of dressing for Christians, only done when you wanna pray or prophecy... That's just for the church.. A man can't wear a cap in the church, doesn't mean he can't wear it outside the church... You just quoted a part of the bible and defined the context like you truly knew it.. Read all of that portion and you'd realise what it means... And I've not seen a student wearing a scarf to a missionary school, they all have their hair cut according to the school's rules. In community school, Muslims wear hijabs and Christians can't wear scarves cos it's not a part of the rules.. You either wear a hijab or come to school with a shaved uncovered head

Have you seen old Christian traditional dressings for women and men.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 18, 2021

Even as a Catholic
 you cant even wear chaplet 
 in an Anglican school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by lereinter(m): 11:35am On Mar 18, 2021
Monogamy:
I think the muslims are the trouble maker here..

Can't they send their wards to Ansarudeen schools where they can where the hijab as how they like

If they do that it is no more Islam, the religion of chaos
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by lereinter(m): 11:45am On Mar 18, 2021
LegendHero:

Brother, I don’t think this should be an issue in this age and time.

The Christian schools in question are being funded from the revenue of the state government and that make it a public funded school.

Now do you mean the Muslim student should be disenfranchised from attending the school that is being financed from proceeds from his parent taxes?

—I think probably the State government should return the school back to the Christians and stop funding it and term it as a private school and they can create a law that ban Muslims from attending the schools OR allow Muslims sign an undertaking that they will adhere with the Christian doctrines if they chose to enrol their kids.

—However that leaves some grey areas. What exactly will the Christian lose for having a Muslim girl on Hijab? I find it rather disturbing that this kind of issue can even be debated on when we have moved past this era.

—Are the Christian girl forced to wear hijab when they attend Ansarudeen and other public Muslim schools?

Sane countries allow the Muslim girl the right to Hijab, why should Nigeria case be different?

The white missionaries that established those schools gave the Muslims the right to attend and our forefathers allowed their Muslim and traditionalist kids to attend the school so why are some current Corp of Christians trying to disenfranchise those kids?

I don’t blame anyone in this. I don’t blame the Christians and I don’t blame the Muslims. Nigeria itself is enough to plant the seed of religious discord in you because it’s a cohabitation of chronically religious bigoted ethnic groups and unfortunately the Yorubas are caught up in this web.

But I think people need to be re-oriented and each party made to see that as Yorubas we should have gotten over things like this.

In the first instance the schs were hijacked from the owners by government

The sch mission have done their possible best to remind government to return the sch to them, government refuses

It's on record

Some people just wake up, gather parents and wards together even though their wards don't attend these schs and indoctrinate hijab to them using violence

They begin to even victimised the parents who are not interested
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Heavance(m): 12:26pm On Mar 18, 2021
LegendHero:

The Christian schools in question are being funded from the revenue of the state government and that make it a public funded school.

Now do you mean the Muslim student should be disenfranchised from attending the school that is being financed from proceeds from his parent taxes?

—However that leaves some grey areas. What exactly will the Christian lose for having a Muslim girl on Hijab? I find it rather disturbing that this kind of issue can even be debated on when we have moved past this era.

—Are the Christian girl forced to wear hijab when they attend Ansarudeen and other public Muslim schools?
I hate what religion has done to us in Nigeria to the extent we defend a clear deficiency.
Before going too far, do you understand what a school uniform is?
Now, when they show it to you, do you see hijab, rosary or a totem there?
Why can't these parents give their kids turban or something to tie their hair like Taoma ( the online skit comedian)...
Will putting on the hijab make them more brilliant?
Their is a uniform the school adhere to, any additional thing has created room for others to deviate.

Now to your first paragraph, the northern states are against alcohol, they even destroy alcoholic drinks from trucks. At the end of the day, FG shares revenue generated from this same alcolic drinks to Northern states. I don't know if you understand what I am trying to make you see?
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 12:47pm On Mar 18, 2021
LegendHero:

—I think probably the State government should return the school back to the Christians and stop funding it and term it as a private school and they can create a law that ban Muslims from attending the schools OR allow Muslims sign an undertaking that they will adhere with the Christian doctrines if they chose to enrol their kids.

Sane countries allow the Muslim girl the right to Hijab, why should Nigeria case be different?

The white missionaries that established those schools gave the Muslims the right to attend and our forefathers allowed their Muslim and traditionalist kids to attend the school so why are some current Corp of Christians trying to disenfranchise those kids?

I don’t blame anyone in this. I don’t blame the Christians and I don’t blame the Muslims. Nigeria itself is enough to plant the seed of religious discord in you because it’s a cohabitation of chronically religious bigoted ethnic groups and unfortunately the Yorubas are caught up in this web.

But I think people need to be re-oriented and each party made to see that as Yorubas we should have gotten over things like this.

Can non-muslims attend Muslim schools without head coverings?

Why is that issue of hijab is now coming up? New brand of islam?
They would never allow that.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 12:58pm On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

The term “Hijab” is reiterated seven times in the Qur'an referring each time exactly to the same meaning. “Hijab” means curtain, separation, wall and, in other words, anything that hides, masks and protects something[i].

But the verse that has been most often used to prove the "obligation" of veiling for women and that mentions the term Hijab is the following: " O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal… And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a separation (Hijab)" Quran 33; 53.

As indicated here, the Hijab concerns only the wives of the Prophet and meets a circumstantial requirement in order to respect the private life of the Prophet. Besides, it does not represent, in any way, a particular model of clothing. The essence of this requirement aimed, mainly, to educate Arabs of that time to respect the privacy of people and good manners.

It is therefore quite clear that the term Hijab does not absolutely refer to the meaning given nowadays as the scarf that should cover the head. The Hijab has nothing to do with any Islamic female dress. It is rather a symbol of separation between public life and private life at the time of the Prophet. It aimed to make of the prophet's wives Mothers of the Believers.

There is another verse that mentions a term that stands for the scarf. This verse says: "... And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not to expose their adornment (zinatahuna) except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers (Khumurihina) over their chests (Juyubihina) and not to expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons” Quran 24;31

The term Khumurihina (plural of Khimar) stated in this verse refers to the scarf that women used to wear in the Arabian Peninsula and in all the other civilizations at that time.

The Qur'an invites the believing women to fold their scarves (Khimar) over their chests (Juyubihina) to cover the upper part of their busts when they are in public. In fact, the classical commentaries report that the Arab women of Mecca used to uncover their neck and upper chest. For this reason, the Qur’an invited the believing women to fold the sides of the Khimar over their busts.

The majority of Muslim scholars and exegetes agreed that the believing women must cover their hair by putting on a Khimar and leave only their faces and hands uncovered in the presence of men who do not have a direct family relationship with them.

Since there is a difference between Hijab and Khimar, we have the right to ask why do we keep using the term Hijab for what has been named in the Qur'an scarf or Khimar?

This error is currently made unwillingly and mostly reproduced unconsciously, but it is worth mentioning that this semantic shift was not made innocently or casually throughout the history of the Islamic intellectual production.

The semantic shifts are usually the result of incorrect translations and interpretations and socio-cultural factors, which aimed at one point in history to create "made-to-measure" concepts to serve the political interests. And this is what happened with Hijab when it was imposed on Muslim women by inserting it willingly in the register of Islamic body ethics.

When we go back to the origin of the term Hijab, which means to "hide" or "separate", and notice the changing process that it has undergone to bear the name "scarf", we have the right to wonder if this concept was given this double meaning to religiously justify the isolation of Muslim women.

The "Hijab" was imposed on Muslim women as a way of "separation" in order to show them their place in society, and exclude them, in the name of Islam, from the socio-political sphere. Thus, replacing the Khimar with Hijab means to confuse different and opposing semantic and conceptual fields in order to endorse, in the name of Islam, the exclusion of women from the sociopolitical space behind a curtain!

Indeed, to substitute the Khimar with the Hijab is to confuse two different registers. While Khimar remains, according to the Qur’anic vision, a sign of women’s social visibility, Hijab undoubtedly symbolizes their relegation to the private space.

In fact, the first Muslim women put on the Khimar as part of the Qur’anic message of liberation and a symbol of dignity. This global vision and the holistic approach of the spiritual message of the Qur'an are important and even essential to understand the deep meaning of these verses.

It is not the Khimar -that existed before revelation- which is important, but rather its new meaning and the context in which it was revealed. The Khimar, according to its original meaning of women's liberation and as a symbol of their participation along with men in the socio-political space, was therefore gradually replaced by the other Qur'anic concept of Hijab to prevent women from participating in the social field.

By considering Hijab as sacred and disregarding the Islamic vocabulary of Khimar, a new Islamic social code is invented to endorse the separation of men and women.

By "veiling" women, they will lose all the rights acquired at the advent of Islam. And the "veil" or Hijab will remain the single powerful indicator of the deterioration of Muslim women’s legal status, since they will be secluded and excluded from the public space, in the name of this symbol...

Finally, the confusion between Khimar and Hijab is politically delicate and serves, above all, the interests of different ideologies including radical Muslims, supporters of the official Islam of states and the modern Islamophobia which joyfully criticizes the "veil" or Hijab considered today as the banner of Islam...

Unfortunately, the whole Qur'anic ethics seem today to be reduced to women’s dress and body, to the way they should be covered, the color, thickness and uniformity of the dress ... However, given that the Qur’an did not insist on a specific clothing or appearance for women, it would be very simplistic to analyze the few verses on the dress far from the guidance of the spiritual message about the global body ethics for both men and women.

The Qur'an invites both men and women to behave with "decency" and "integrity", both physically and morally. The Qur'an does not legislate a strictly religious "uniform" as it is shown here, and the first spiritual message did not intend to stipulate rigid or "fixed" dress standards once and for all, but rather to "recommend" an "attitude" or an "ethic" regarding the body and soul.

But it is really unfortunate that the first intention of the spiritual message of Islam is often neglected or completely ignored at the expense of a literal reading which keeps no more than "the obligation of wearing the Hijab” out of all the Qur'anic teachings about women! This contradicts the principles of the spiritual message and its spiritual ethics.

The question of Khimar or scarf is not part of the pillars of Islam, but rather of moral values, behavior and relational ethics.

The religious faith is meaningful only when it is practiced without pressure. Therefore, speaking about the obligation of Islam to wear a headscarf or Khimar is spiritually unacceptable because the Qur'an said: "No compulsion in religion." It is one of the main principles of Islam.

Reducing the whole global Qur'anic body ethics to the so-called "veil" is to stand against the same message. And this is exactly what happened in the Islamic history by focusing on woman’s dress, and the obligation to "hide" and "conceal "her body. As a result, this spiritual symbol has become a sign of oppression in the Muslim world.

Source: theconversation

1 Like

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Have you seen old Christian traditional dressings for women and men.

You mean Jewish dressing not Christian dressing. In christianity, women should only cover their heads when praying.

2 cor 11:4-6. 4Every man who prays or prophesieswith his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by SporaD8: 1:17pm On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Most of the comments on Islamic thread by non muslims are about mocking the religion and not about intellectual discussion.
Seriously?! See who is talking about mocking! Oh! eroding of mission schools' identity with hijab and mosque actually extol the church right?
Please show me the intellectual discussion in wearing a Muslim identity (hijab) to a Christian School, even any school at all, that always already has a uniform . Am sure the meaning of the word Uniform here is already lost on you.

2 Likes

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by LegendHero(m): 1:48pm On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

Can non-muslims attend Muslim schools without head coverings?

Why is that issue of hijab is now coming up? New brand of islam?
They would never allow that.

Yes to the bolded. No one is forced to wear Hijab against their will.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 1:52pm On Mar 18, 2021
LegendHero:

Yes to the bolded. No one is forced to wear Hijab against their will.

Muslims will not allow any non-muslims to attend muslim schools without wearing head coverings.
If you know of any school that allow non-muslims without head coverings, let us know.
Hijab is one of many forms of head coverings. Hijab is arabic culture not Islamic.
Allowing hijab negates the meaning of uniform.
Uniform-
the distinctive clothing worn by members of the same organization or body or by children attending certain schools.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by LegendHero(m): 2:08pm On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

Muslims will not allow any non-muslims to attend muslim schools without wearing head coverings.
If you know of any school that allow non-muslims without head coverings, let us know.
Hijab is one of many forms of head coverings. Hijab is arabic culture not Islamic.
Allowing hijab negates the meaning of uniform.
Uniform-
the distinctive clothing worn by members of the same organization or body or by children attending certain schools.

Not all students of Ansarudeen wear Hijab. I know what I’m saying before I talk.

There are Christians that go to Ansarudeen and no one is made to compulsory wear Hijab.

Hijab does not negate the meaning of uniform, that line of argument hold no water.

Sane countries with vast larger Christian population allow the freedom of religious expression even going to the extent of allowing policewomen to put on their Hijabs and etc. why Nigeria?

A lot of Muslims student pray using God and sing in the assembly praying the Christian way in public schools that are secular. Can the Christians allow their kids to pray to Allah daily in a secular school? Won’t they say it’s Islamization?

As someone with both Christian and Muslim parent, I don’t care about religion just like millions of other Yorubas like me. But my grudge in all this is that I find it rather archaic that issues like this can even be a topic with the level of religious maturity we Yorubas exhibit.

It just dosen’t make sense!
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 2:15pm On Mar 18, 2021
LegendHero:

Not all students of Ansarudeen wear Hijab. I know what I’m saying before I talk.

There are Christians that go to Ansarudeen and no one is made to compulsory wear Hijab.

Hijab does not negate the meaning of uniform, that line of argument hold no water.

Sane countries with vast larger Christian population allow the freedom of religious expression even going to the extent of allowing policewomen to put on their Hijabs and etc. why Nigeria?

A lot of Muslims student pray using God and sing in the assembly praying the Christian way in public schools that are secular. Can the Christians allow their kids to pray to Allah daily in a secular school? Won’t they say it’s Islamization?

As someone with both Christian and Muslim parent, I don’t care about religion just like millions of other Yorubas like me. But my grudge in all this is that I find it rather archaic that issues like this can even be a topic with the level of religious maturity we Yorubas exhibit.

It just dosen’t make sense!

Check meaning of uniform in your dictionary.
I repeat no Islamic schools will allow non-Muslims without a form of head coverings not necessary hijab.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by LegendHero(m): 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

Check meaning of uniform in your dictionary.
I repeat no Islamic schools will allow non-Muslims without a form of head coverings not necessary hijab.

My mom is a teacher and I know what I’m talking about.

Stop arguing what you don’t know. Christians are not forced to wear hijabs in Ansarudeen.

Ansarudeen I’m taking about is a public school except if you’re talking about a private school owned by the Muslims.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

The term “Hijab” is reiterated seven times in the Qur'an referring each time exactly to the same meaning. “Hijab” means curtain, separation, wall and, in other words, anything that hides, masks and protects something[i].

But the verse that has been most often used to prove the "obligation" of veiling for women and that mentions the term Hijab is the following: " O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal… And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a separation (Hijab)" Quran 33; 53.

As indicated here, the Hijab concerns only the wives of the Prophet and meets a circumstantial requirement in order to respect the private life of the Prophet. Besides, it does not represent, in any way, a particular model of clothing. The essence of this requirement aimed, mainly, to educate Arabs of that time to respect the privacy of people and good manners.

It is therefore quite clear that the term Hijab does not absolutely refer to the meaning given nowadays as the scarf that should cover the head. The Hijab has nothing to do with any Islamic female dress. It is rather a symbol of separation between public life and private life at the time of the Prophet. It aimed to make of the prophet's wives Mothers of the Believers.

There is another verse that mentions a term that stands for the scarf. This verse says: "... And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not to expose their adornment (zinatahuna) except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers (Khumurihina) over their chests (Juyubihina) and not to expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons” Quran 24;31

The term Khumurihina (plural of Khimar) stated in this verse refers to the scarf that women used to wear in the Arabian Peninsula and in all the other civilizations at that time.

The Qur'an invites the believing women to fold their scarves (Khimar) over their chests (Juyubihina) to cover the upper part of their busts when they are in public. In fact, the classical commentaries report that the Arab women of Mecca used to uncover their neck and upper chest. For this reason, the Qur’an invited the believing women to fold the sides of the Khimar over their busts.

The majority of Muslim scholars and exegetes agreed that the believing women must cover their hair by putting on a Khimar and leave only their faces and hands uncovered in the presence of men who do not have a direct family relationship with them.

Since there is a difference between Hijab and Khimar, we have the right to ask why do we keep using the term Hijab for what has been named in the Qur'an scarf or Khimar?

This error is currently made unwillingly and mostly reproduced unconsciously, but it is worth mentioning that this semantic shift was not made innocently or casually throughout the history of the Islamic intellectual production.

The semantic shifts are usually the result of incorrect translations and interpretations and socio-cultural factors, which aimed at one point in history to create "made-to-measure" concepts to serve the political interests. And this is what happened with Hijab when it was imposed on Muslim women by inserting it willingly in the register of Islamic body ethics.

When we go back to the origin of the term Hijab, which means to "hide" or "separate", and notice the changing process that it has undergone to bear the name "scarf", we have the right to wonder if this concept was given this double meaning to religiously justify the isolation of Muslim women.

The "Hijab" was imposed on Muslim women as a way of "separation" in order to show them their place in society, and exclude them, in the name of Islam, from the socio-political sphere. Thus, replacing the Khimar with Hijab means to confuse different and opposing semantic and conceptual fields in order to endorse, in the name of Islam, the exclusion of women from the sociopolitical space behind a curtain!

Indeed, to substitute the Khimar with the Hijab is to confuse two different registers. While Khimar remains, according to the Qur’anic vision, a sign of women’s social visibility, Hijab undoubtedly symbolizes their relegation to the private space.

In fact, the first Muslim women put on the Khimar as part of the Qur’anic message of liberation and a symbol of dignity. This global vision and the holistic approach of the spiritual message of the Qur'an are important and even essential to understand the deep meaning of these verses.

It is not the Khimar -that existed before revelation- which is important, but rather its new meaning and the context in which it was revealed. The Khimar, according to its original meaning of women's liberation and as a symbol of their participation along with men in the socio-political space, was therefore gradually replaced by the other Qur'anic concept of Hijab to prevent women from participating in the social field.

By considering Hijab as sacred and disregarding the Islamic vocabulary of Khimar, a new Islamic social code is invented to endorse the separation of men and women.

By "veiling" women, they will lose all the rights acquired at the advent of Islam. And the "veil" or Hijab will remain the single powerful indicator of the deterioration of Muslim women’s legal status, since they will be secluded and excluded from the public space, in the name of this symbol...

Finally, the confusion between Khimar and Hijab is politically delicate and serves, above all, the interests of different ideologies including radical Muslims, supporters of the official Islam of states and the modern Islamophobia which joyfully criticizes the "veil" or Hijab considered today as the banner of Islam...

Unfortunately, the whole Qur'anic ethics seem today to be reduced to women’s dress and body, to the way they should be covered, the color, thickness and uniformity of the dress ... However, given that the Qur’an did not insist on a specific clothing or appearance for women, it would be very simplistic to analyze the few verses on the dress far from the guidance of the spiritual message about the global body ethics for both men and women.

The Qur'an invites both men and women to behave with "decency" and "integrity", both physically and morally. The Qur'an does not legislate a strictly religious "uniform" as it is shown here, and the first spiritual message did not intend to stipulate rigid or "fixed" dress standards once and for all, but rather to "recommend" an "attitude" or an "ethic" regarding the body and soul.

But it is really unfortunate that the first intention of the spiritual message of Islam is often neglected or completely ignored at the expense of a literal reading which keeps no more than "the obligation of wearing the Hijab” out of all the Qur'anic teachings about women! This contradicts the principles of the spiritual message and its spiritual ethics.

The question of Khimar or scarf is not part of the pillars of Islam, but rather of moral values, behavior and relational ethics.

The religious faith is meaningful only when it is practiced without pressure. Therefore, speaking about the obligation of Islam to wear a headscarf or Khimar is spiritually unacceptable because the Qur'an said: "No compulsion in religion." It is one of the main principles of Islam.

Reducing the whole global Qur'anic body ethics to the so-called "veil" is to stand against the same message. And this is exactly what happened in the Islamic history by focusing on woman’s dress, and the obligation to "hide" and "conceal "her body. As a result, this spiritual symbol has become a sign of oppression in the Muslim world.

Source: theconversation

I was expecting something from your brain, rather you went to copy garbage from western media and then posted it here as an argument.

Picture 1 is a khimar
Picture 2 is a hijab

Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I was expecting something from your brain, rather you went to copy garbage from western media and then posted it here as an argument.

Picture 1 is a khimar
Picture 2 is a hijab

Not Islamic dress but Arabic. Hijab predated islam. Your brain cannot comprehend complex information.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 2:53pm On Mar 18, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Picture 1 is a khimar
Picture 2 is a hijab

In the Qur'an, the term hijab refers to a partition or curtain in the literal or metaphorical sense. The verse where it is used literally is commonly understood to refer to the curtain separating visitors to Muhammad's house from his wives' lodgings. This had led some to argue that the mandate of the Qur'an to wear hijab applied to the wives of Muhammad, and not women generally.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 18, 2021
capitalzero:

In the Qur'an, the term hijab refers to a partition or curtain in the literal or metaphorical sense. The verse where it is used literally is commonly understood to refer to the curtain separating visitors to Muhammad's house from his wives' lodgings. This had led some to argue that the mandate of the Qur'an to wear hijab applied to the wives of Muhammad, and not women generally.

I am sure you copied this from wikipedia, in the same place you copied it, they gave the meaning of hijab.

Why didnt you copy that and post the definition here.

You are very ridiculous.
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 5:14am On Mar 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I am sure you copied this from wikipedia, in the same place you copied it, they gave the meaning of hijab.

Why didnt you copy that and post the definition here.

You are very ridiculous.

Try to edit wikipedia then. Hijab is not Islamic dress. Modest dressing does not mean wear hijab. Illiterate!!
Re: Hijab Is Neither Islamic Nor Yoruba Culture by capitalzero: 5:16am On Mar 19, 2021
LegendHero:

My mom is a teacher and I know what I’m talking about.

Stop arguing what you don’t know. Christians are not forced to wear hijabs in Ansarudeen.

Ansarudeen I’m taking about is a public school except if you’re talking about a private school owned by the Muslims.

They are being forced to cover their heads. Hijab is not only a form of head covering. Read my posts carefully.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra State University (ansu) 2011/2012 Final/vc Admision List. / Photo: Nigerian Kids Go To School Naked In 1952 / Which Is Correct 'come Eat' Or 'come And Eat'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.