Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,881 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye (33276 Views)

Gunmen Attack Professor Banji Akintoye's House In Ekiti / Banji Akintoye: If We Wait For Buhari, Herdsmen Will Kill All Of Us / Professor Banji Akintoye:"Yorubas Are Like Slaves In Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2021
Christistruth00:

As much as we respect Baba Akintoye nobody sent him to declare independence

Nigeria may have Challenges but with Gods help we shall overcome them all

Our Fathers fought for one Nigeria and it is one equitable and just Nigeria we shall continue to fight for

So help us God
With due respect, if you are truly a Yoruba and you believe what you typed up there, then you are very naive(trying not to insult). Nigeria was designed to hold us down. Think about it? Can we EVER get an equitable and ONE Nigeria?
Where some people believe Nigeria is their property? Where their forebear told them live on radio to treat other Nigerians as conquered slaves.and you say EQUITABLE

2 Likes

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Christistruth00: 10:50pm On Mar 19, 2021
Kaysalas:

With due respect, if you are truly a Yoruba and you believe what you typed up there, then you are very naive(trying not to insult). Nigeria was designed to hold us down. Think about it? Can we EVER get an equitable and ONE Nigeria?
Where some people believe Nigeria is their property? Where their forebear told them live on radio to treat other Nigerians as conquered slaves.and you say EQUITABLE

The British met our Yoruba Fathers at Kiriji in 1886 fighting a 16 year Civil War and beating themselves to smithereens

Altogether Yorubas had been at War with themselves for 100 years

If Nigeria was. meant to hold Yorubas back Yorubaland would not have had the Peace they have now had for more than 130 years

It was the. Creation of Nigeria that finally ended the Yoruba 100 year War

Below is a Copy of the Kiriji Treaty that the British brokered in 1886

Check the Signatures, the whole of Yorubaland was represented

Even the Benin who were not Signatories were eminent suppliers of Arms and Ammunition to the participants

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 10:54pm On Mar 19, 2021
Christistruth00:

The British met our Yoruba Fathers at Kiriji in 1886 fighting a 16 year Civil War and beating themselves to smithereens

If Nigeria was. meant to hold Yorubas back Yorubaland would not have had the Peace they have now had for more than 130 years
What's your point? I don't get it. Especially with this kiriji war angle?
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Christistruth00: 11:05pm On Mar 19, 2021
Kaysalas:

What's your point? I don't get it. Especially with this kiriji war angle?

With Nigeria Yorubaland has had peace for more that 130 years Nigeria has brought Yorubas much more good than evil.
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 11:20pm On Mar 19, 2021
Christistruth00:

With Nigeria Yorubaland has had peace for more that 130 years Nigeria has brought Yorubas much more good than evil.
I beg to differ. Much more good than evil by being underserved across board.
WE CANT aspire to be anything and achieve it unless a certain group believes you will do their bidding and therefore support you.
We can do much better Individually, trust me.
Look at the strides western region made with a little bit of autonomy, and see where we are today. How can the British bring tribes who had been at war for ages together into one country and tilt power to favour one group

2 Likes

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 11:25pm On Mar 19, 2021
The resources of the south had been used to sustain the north from 1914 to date and yet, we don't have an equal say in the scheme of things.
Have you watched the interview of one young British colonial officer in Nigeria during the fifties, by name Howard .... And his confessions?
Go to federal parastatals and see injustice in all ramifications. Northerners get a disproportionate share of things in this country, and they contribute less or nothing at all

1 Like

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 11:43pm On Mar 19, 2021
Sterope:
All Yoruba issues will therefore come to an end and our Leaders shall remain the same old cronies that ruined Nigeria.
Nope, that wouldn't be the case. Trust me. Nothing beats a homogeneous people in their place without limitations to succeed

2 Likes

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2021
hansomb:
These are just miscreants. Someone that cannot speak and write in English is that one a leader or a thug ?
So since when did English become the yardstick for a man to determine what he wants for himself and his Kith and kin?
He speaks Yoruba that is fine by me
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by hansomb: 12:07am On Mar 20, 2021
Kaysalas:

So since when did English become the yardstick for a man to determine what he wants for himself and his Kith and kin?
He speaks Yoruba that is fine by me
It means he's level of civilization is archaic. If there's a UN resolution how will he represents you there. Don't forget that this thug belongs to the late Adedibu school of thought using thuggery to achieve there aim. He was one of the pioneers of the civil war between indigenes of mòdàkékè and Ifé people. Before you make someone your leader check his past.
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by molotough(m): 12:09am On Mar 20, 2021
Rexnegro:

go check your history book bro Yoruba was the first tribe that wanted a breakaway . do your research bro
I have often stressed this point in brief detail but many fools dont know. They are mostly indomie generation of Igbos who don't know history.

2 Likes

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by hansomb: 12:11am On Mar 20, 2021
Kaysalas:

Nope, that wouldn't be the case. Trust me. Nothing beats a homogeneous people in their place without limitations to succeed
are the Americans homogeneous ? Diversity has more advantages than homogeneity. Most developed cities have diversity like Lagos ,Kano ,Abuja, London , New York, Dubai etc
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by hansomb: 12:15am On Mar 20, 2021
Kaysalas:
The resources of the south had been used to sustain the north from 1914 to date and yet, we don't have an equal say in the scheme of things.
Have you watched the interview of one young British colonial officer in Nigeria during the fifties, by name Howard .... And his confessions?
Go to federal parastatals and see injustice in all ramifications. Northerners get a disproportionate share of things in this country, and they contribute less or nothing at all
Not true. The North has cotton, groundnut, textile industry and many more. The problem of Nigeria started after the discovery of oil. All the politicians are united when it sharing of money, it's only the masses that is been left out.
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by hansomb: 12:17am On Mar 20, 2021
Christistruth00:

Even the Benin who were not Signatories were eminent suppliers of Arms and Ammunition to the participants
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 12:25am On Mar 20, 2021
hansomb:

It means he's level of civilization is archaic. If there's a UN resolution how will he represents you there. Don't forget that this thug belongs to the late Adedibu school of thought using thuggery to achieve there aim. He was one of the pioneers of the civil war between indigenes of mòdàkékè and Ifé people. Before you make someone your leader check his past.
Our past is a major determining factor of who we are today. Infact, a huge part of us is a product of our past.
And who told you he has to be the one to represent us at the UN? Did you also call him a pioneer of the Ife/ modakeke strife?

1 Like

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 12:28am On Mar 20, 2021
hansomb:
are the Americans homogeneous ? Diversity has more advantages than homogeneity. Most developed cities have diversity like Lagos ,Kano ,Abuja, London , New York, Dubai etc
The problem with you lots who keep comparing America to Nigeria is that you FORGET that America affords EQUAL opportunities to its citizens. Can we say same about Nigeria?
And why list cities when we are talking nations?
London, New York, Dubai are what they are today because of the homogeneous background of their forebears I.e the Caucasians from Western Europe who MADE America and the Arabs who made Dubai.

1 Like

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Kaysalas(m): 12:32am On Mar 20, 2021
hansomb:

Not true. The North has cotton, groundnut, textile industry and many more. The problem of Nigeria started after the discovery of oil. All the politicians are united when it sharing of money, it's only the masses that is been left out.
I never said the north didn't have these resources, I said the south's resources were used to SUSTAIN them.
You will probably lead me to do some YouTube search for you to that effect.
The British ran at a loss year in year out from the administration of the northern protectorate and always augmented the books with the excess profits from the southern protectorate

1 Like

Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by NASTYNASOSO: 12:37am On Mar 20, 2021
Igbankpa:
Nobody wants Nigeria again except that mischievous and backward group.

HMMMMMMM

WHICH GROUP?

NAME THEM ABI YOU DE FEAR
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Nobody: 2:03am On Mar 20, 2021
Christistruth00:

I'm a lurker and don't post on the forum. However, I'd like to correct/educate you.

Your opinion is highly laughable. I'm sure you know what led to the war, thus, making it a war of necessity. Internecine wars aren't unique to Yorubas - England fought Internecine wars for almost 500yrs (ame goes for a lot old empires). But are the different regions in England still fighting today or have they fought in the last 500yrs? The reason the Kiriji wars lasted long is because they were able to sell captives into slavery for weapons/ammunitions. So, with the abolition of slavery, the wars would've ended eventually, without the intervention of the Brits.

If the Yorubas are going to leave Nigeria - there's no better time to do it than now. The Nigerian military infrastructure is already overstretched with the theatre in the NE by Bokoharam. Then you have banditry in the NW/NC and insurgency in the SE. So, I honestly doubt those ruling Nigeria would want to another front for war, with the limited manpower in the Nigerian armed forces, unless they want Bokoharam to overrun the whole Northern part of the country. The Hausa/Fulani rulers might be uneducated but they're not suicidal, hence, they have been blowing hot about the SW without taking any action. Same way they have turned a blind eye to the SE and the ongoing insurgency there.

Don't fret, sis - there's no overbearing Yoruba group trying to lord over all the other Yoruba groups like Ibadan was trying to do during the Kiriji wars, in order to recreate Oyo empire in 2021. A Yoruba country in 2021 would be divided into provinces based on Yoruba subgroups. It would be all inclusive.

I sincerely hope this movement gathers the right momentum. Also, Tinubu needs to shelf his personal ambition in trying to outdo Awo and not impose himself on the bright future over 50million Yorubas worldwide are seeking, unless he wants to die a brutal death. Same goes for all the other selfish Yoruba politicians and elites. The Yoruba race is bigger than one man's selfish ambitions and, the future is now.

Regardless, we're closely observing the development in Nigeria. And I hope the agitators are sincere about this move and it's not another political charade that's synonymous with Nigeria. If it gathers the right momentum - we would give it the biggest publicity when the world is watching in July. The only reservation I've is with the "Oduduwa" name - "Odua" is a better name. The flag also looks very basic, however, if they have cogent reasons why they picked those colors - then I absolutely have no problems whatsoever with it.

We're observing - off I go with the wind.
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 20, 2021
There is no single country that has ready-made laws that allow parts to separate. Yoruba separation won't happen inside any constitution.

In wisdom, this matter can be made simple with mutual agreement and understanding.
EU still exists today despite the UK's exit. So we're not saying 'Nigeria' must end. Never!
Yorubas just want to be on their own by a federated separation. Very simple. We'll leave the Nigeria umbrella and Nigeria can remain and continue to constitute the present groups of states and people.

Many are overreacting to this. It doesn't have to be like South and North Sudan who fought for separation with blood and still forced to split earnings from oil because the oil is in the south and the refinery is in the north. Things are going very bad (poverty) in the south and they even called Tb Joshua to come to pray for them.

So, the Yoruba separation is not a call for war or blood. We didn't fight with UK army to get our independence fa. No one needs to die in this process.
Call the stakeholders, sign the separation agreement. Deal.
The North keep saying 'One Nigeria is the best' just like Gowon. No.. Separation is the best.

If Nigeria refuses to sign for Yorubas, then maybe we'll need the intervention of another country. This is where people might start rioting and govt will deploy army and scatter everywhere and war might happen which can be shut down just like Biafra.

About the East and South (including Biafra), we have a lot to learn from them. We must be wiser and avoid bloodshed and most importantly be ready to deal with defaulters among the Yoruba people.
Our pain, our reason and our methods for separation are mostly different from that of Biafra or the east. The east is recruiting their army and they want to use force again among their massive disagreement. Take Asari-Dokubo and Kanu for example who are not in agreement in the public.

So the call for Yoruba separation should not be sidelined with the intentions of any other major ethnic group and not be interpreted as the call for the non-existence of mighty Nigeria and it's holy constitution.

My opinion also pasted on another thread
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by Rexnegro(m): 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2021
molotough:
I have often stressed this point in brief detail but many fools dont know. They are mostly indomie generation of Igbos who don't know history.
exactly bro
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by felzokugo(m): 11:06am On Apr 01, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Your father is a senseless idiot
your father's wife and entire family bastardised bigots!
Re: We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye by felzokugo(m): 10:57am On Sep 05, 2021
Charmingrascal:

Your father is a senseless idiot
Ur papa don die since naa...daz where u get ur crashed brain from. Bastard!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can Nnamdi Kanu Lose His UK Citizenship? / EndSARS: Communique From The Governors’ Meeting With IGP / Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.