Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? (466 Views)

Daddy Freeze: 'I Was Still Paying Tithes While I Was Preaching Against It' / "I Don't Pay Tithes To Winners Chapel Anymore" - Lady; Daddy Freeze Reacts / Daddy Freeze Shows 'Paul O' Paul Okoye's Mansion To Shame Those That Pay Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 4:15am On Mar 19, 2021
I have been asking people about this topic but I hope to learn from this street if one can still be paying tithe despite being in several debts. Where are my christian brothers and sisters?
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Faber(m): 4:36am On Mar 19, 2021
Rogosa:
I have been asking people about this topic but I hope to learn from this street if one can still be paying tithe despite being in several debts. Where are my christian brothers and sisters?

Answer: Yes and No

What's Tithe? Tithing is the donation of of one-tenth of one's income to God's church. The Almighty God instructs us about tithing as follows:
"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse...and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Mal: 3:10).

Yes, you need to pay tithe while in debts:
If you are being weighed down by debts, but your business is still running or your are still employed and paid your wages, then you are making some income. So you need to remit 1/10 of what you earn to the Lord. I trust the God 1000% he will multiply your earnings and help you offset your debts. This can only be possible when you pay an honest tithe. A false tithe is just a void tithing...it makes no meaning.

No, you don't need to pay tithe while in debts:
Let's say your business have gone moribond(I don't pray for that) or you were fired and jobless(I don't pray for that either). Then your exempt from tithing. Just go to the Lord in prayer, talk to friends, meet donors and pay-off your debts. They when you start earning, you can return to tithing.

For me I don't do tithing. My source of income is not eligible to pay tithe according to my church. My church don't just accept any money as tithe, they must know your source of income. Example people who run drinking bars and deals on alchohol, their money no follow. So I don't pay tithe inorder to avoid paying a false tithe. But I bridge the gap by charity to the less privileged and street beggers.
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by LawLab247: 4:48am On Mar 19, 2021
Dunno
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 5:53am On Mar 19, 2021
LawLab247:
Dunno
ok
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by doggedfighter(f): 5:56am On Mar 19, 2021
It's not even okay to pay tithe grin

Tithe paying is scam

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by harmargedon: 6:34am On Mar 19, 2021
Then how do you expect to go out of debt when you use the small change you have to fill someone else pocket. Why don't you ask the pastor to help you get out of debt, and you'll see his response.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Sheunma: 6:56am On Mar 19, 2021
Pay tithe at all times ,even in debt. Your pastor's financial well-being is more important than your peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:03am On Mar 19, 2021
What is TITHE and what part in your relationship with God does it play? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:19am On Mar 19, 2021
I think the church is meant to pay you tithe when you are in debt or bankruptcy

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 12:27pm On Mar 19, 2021
Rogosa:
God never commanded you to pay tithes. So if you pay tithe, God has nothing to do with any of what you do there. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by MightySparrow: 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2021
Pay it on your income in spite of the debt. Do mind MaximumSide. Then pray, soon God knows how to make a way out of the debt.
There are people that tell about God they don't know; there people that tell about God they experience. To such no confusion.

There is a difference between a teacher and an instructor. The teacher can teach theory. Like those motivational speakers. An instructor, like a pilot or a soldier trains by demonstration.

Your financial faithfulness is needed in time of trial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2021
Spoken! smiley

MightySparrow:

Pay it on your income in spite of the debt. Do mind MaximumSide. Then pray, soon God knows how to make a way out of the debt.
There are people that tell about God they don't know; there people that tell about God they experience. To such no confusion.
There is a difference between a teacher and an instructor. The teacher can teach theory. Like those motivational speakers. An instructor, like a pilot or a soldier trains by demonstration.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Mar 19, 2021
@OP, any person who tells you that you should pay tithe or offering does not know Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ(Spirit of God) does not live inside of such a person oo!

John 14 vs 25-31 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
16. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper,[f] to be with you forever,
17. even the Spirit of truth(Jesus Christ), whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be[g] in you.
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by obonujoker(m): 8:20pm On Mar 19, 2021
It's not okay... Settle your debts before paying tithes... Jesus also taught something like this

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Mar 19, 2021
obonujoker:
It's not okay... Settle your debts before paying tithes... Jesus also taught something like this
Jesus Christ never taught His followers to do any of the such.

Deuteronomy 30 vs 15-20 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16. I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17. But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen, if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18. you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.

19. “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life! Then you and your children will live.
20. You must love the Lord your God and obey him. Never leave him, because he is your life. And he will give you a long life in the land that he, the Lord, promised to give to your ancestors—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”
The Old Covenant was ratified in Deuteronomy and up there it clearly tells you that you must be of the Blood of Jacob to be bound by that Covenant. You and the lot of you in Nigeria never qualified to be bound under the Old Covenant, so your every attempt at living according to its statutes are in VAIN - meaningless as far as the things of God is concerned.
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by obonujoker(m): 8:49pm On Mar 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ never taught His followers to do any of the such.
The Old Covenant was ratified in Deuteronomy and up there it clearly tells you that you must be of the Blood of Jacob to be bound by that Covenant. You and the lot of you in Nigeria never qualified to be bound under the Old Covenant, so your every attempt at living according to its statutes are in VAIN - meaningless as far as the things of God is concerned.

Matthew 5:23-24

Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Mar 19, 2021
obonujoker:
Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
So, what do you believe Jesus Christ is telling you to do in that passage there? undecided

Matthew 5 vs 23-26 (ERV)
23. “So, what if you are offering your gift at the altar and remember that someone has something against you?
24. Leave your gift there and go make peace with that person. Then come and offer your gift.
25. “If anyone wants to take you to court, make friends with them quickly. Try to do that before you get to the court. If you don’t, they might hand you over to the judge. And the judge will hand you over to a guard, who will throw you into jail.
26. I assure you that you will not leave there until you have paid everything you owe.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by obonujoker(m): 9:03pm On Mar 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, what do you believe Jesus Christ is telling you to do in that passage there? undecided

Settle your debts before you think of giving gifts or paying tithe
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Mar 19, 2021
obonujoker:
Settle your debts before you think of giving gifts or paying tithe
Where is paying of tithe included in there? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 21, 2021
harmargedon:
Then how do you expect to go out of debt when you use the small change you have to fill someone else pocket. Why don't you ask the pastor to help you get out of debt, and you'll see his response.
Hmmmm! I see. You are making sense.Lets here from the pastor in the house
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 21, 2021
Sheunma:
Pay tithe at all times ,even in debt. Your pastor's financial well-being is more important than your peace of mind.

Are u being sarcastic? grin
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 21, 2021
Amotolongbo:
I think the church is meant to pay you tithe when you are in debt or bankruptcy

That is if the church even recognized you
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 21, 2021
MightySparrow:

Hmmmm. This is true. Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
@OP, any person who tells you that you should pay tithe or offering does not know Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ(Spirit of God) does not live inside of such a person oo!

I don't get. Can u expatiate further
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 21, 2021
obonujoker:

Hhmmmm. But this is not saying anything about payment of tithes
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:

This verse is deep!
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by extol1(m): 10:29am On Mar 21, 2021
Rogosa:
I think that is ignorance. in as much I believe in tithing, it will be total display of lack of knowledge and understanding to pay tithe despite in serious debts. it is just like borrowing money to start up a business, it is when u finished paying back the borrowed money that u can confidently say u owe the business

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 11:09am On Mar 21, 2021
Rogosa:

I don't get. Can u expatiate further
According to Jesus Christ those who love Him are those who obey His teachings /commandments.
And those who do not love Him, Jesus Christ, are those who refuse to obey Hia commandments/teaxhings.

Jesus Christ never gave you the Old Covenant Law(where tithing is defined) to obey. He instead gave you a New Covenant which is the only Law that applies in the Kingdom of God.

Anyone preaching that you follow Old Covenant Law or mix OLD covenant Laws into Jesus Christ's teachings is not born again( does not have the Spirit of God) living inside of them, since Jesus Christ Himself declared that His Spirit abides only in those who obey His commandments/teaching. undecided

In other words, any Pastor who preaches from the Old covenant to you instead of preaching from the Gospels to you as far as what Jesus Christ commands of you is a Liar and the Truth (Jesus Christ) does not live inside of such a person. undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
According to Jesus Christ those who love Him are those who obey His teachings /commandments.
And those who do not love Him, Jesus Christ, are those who refuse to obey Hia commandments/teaxhings.

Jesus Christ never gave you the Old Covenant Law(where tithing is defined) to obey. He instead gave you a New Covenant which is the only Law that applies in the Kingdom of God.

Anyone preaching that you follow Old Covenant Law or mix OLD covenant Laws into Jesus Christ's teachings is not born again( does not have the Spirit of God) living inside of them, since Jesus Christ Himself declared that His Spirit abides only in those who obey His commandments/teaching. undecided

In other words, any Pastor who preaches from the Old covenant to you instead of preaching from the Gospels to you as far as what Jesus Christ commands of you is a Liar and the Truth (Jesus Christ) does not live inside of such a person. undecided

But Jesus said at one point that" He has not come to abolish the law but to fulfill them". Because from what you have said so far, that we should abide by the gospel of the new testament by following the Jesus's law and commandment.
Jesus commandment is just in one way but two forms.
LOVE.
If one love God with one's heart, there is way one wont give to the LORD.
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Kobojunkie: 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2021
Rogosa:
But Jesus said at one point that" He has not come to abolish the law but to fulfill them". Because from what you have said so far, that we should abide by the gospel of the new testament by following the Jesus's law and commandment.
Jesus commandment is just in one way but two forms.
LOVE.
If one love God with one's heart, there is way one wont give to the LORD.
Jesus Christ's commandments do not come in just two forms... He gave you well over 46 commandments to follow....
Take a look at the commandments listed at the following link https://iblp.org/questions/what-are-commands-christ
The list is not comprehensive but a quick look through and you realize that Jesus Christ called you to more than wing it at LOVE.

However, He did not call you to obey the commandments stipulated in the Old Covenant. So again, any Pastor preaching the Old Covenant laws to you does not belong to Jesus Christ, no matter what he claims. undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Pay Tithes While In Debt? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 21, 2021
extol1:

I think that is ignorance. in as much I believe in tithing, it will be total display of lack of knowledge and understanding to pay tithe despite in serious debts. it is just like borrowing money to start up a business, it is when u finished paying back the borrowed money that u can confidently say u owe the business

hhmmmmm. You are right. But this brainwashing of doing God's first and see how God will take you out of the debt is killing and confusing.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Papa Uma Ukpai Crying? / The Redemptive Power Of The Blood Of Jesus. Part 4 / REVEALED! TB Joshua’s Wife Describes Her Husband’s Last Moment And How He Was Fo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.