Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army (58237 Views)

Boko Haram Attacks Magumeri, Borno State / Boko Haram Recaptures Gubio And Magumeri In Borno / Boko Haram Sacks Military Base In Magumeri, Borno. Shouts 'Allahu Akbar' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Northurmate: 11:07am On Mar 20, 2021
Late Capt. Kyari Magumeri From Borno was the first Nigerian to be promoted to the rank of CAPTAIN in British Army (1953) After making a gallant performance in 1st and 2nd WW

Born in 1897 in Borno, Nigeria, Chari Magumeri enlisted in a colonial unit of the Imperial German Army at the age of sixteen during The Great War and was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class for bravery in the field against the British in Northern Cameroon.

The Germans promoted him to the rank of sergeant. When the British occupied part of that territory, Magumeri was inducted into the West African Frontier Force in 1917.

He served in 5th Bn The Nigerian Regiment, in which his father had served for twenty-six years, and has been described as distinguishing himself, which would have pleased his father, presuming the latter were still alive.

One wonders what Chari Magumeri's father would have thought of his son's enlistment in the German army. In the photo (posted below because of dynamic page link problems), RSM Magumeri is wearing the ribands of the MM, BEM, BWM, VM, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal, War Medal with MID Oakleaf, 1937 Coronation Medal and the Army LSGC Medal.

He clearly qualified for The Defence Medal during his time in India and in Abyssinia. One wonders if he still had his German documents and his 1914 EK2 or if these were confiscated from him in 1917 after the WWI.

He would have had every right to wear the 1914 EK2 as Civilian after he retired. He would also have been eligible for the 1934 "Hindenburg Cross". One wonders if any former Askari applied to the Nazi government for their 1914-1918 “Ehrenkreuze”.

By 1928, Magumeri was RSM of 3rd Battalion The Nigerian Regiment. During WW2, RSM Magumeri won the MM in the 1940-1941 Abyssinian (Ethiopian) Campaign.

The regiment was later transferred to India with 81st West African Division, fighting in the Naga Hills and in Burma with the 14th Army, where RSM Magumeri MM picked up an MID.

He also received the BEM in 1944 for his long and excellent service. Returning to Nigeria after the war, RSM Magumeri MM BEM MID was involved in training duties and was promoted to Captain on retirement from the service in 1953.

His name remains revered in Nigeria amongst those Nigerians with a sense of pride in their nation and its history but until recently, there were no military establishments named after him, perhaps because his achievements pre-dated independence, his part in the shaping of a new generation of Nigerian soldiers aside.

What an impressive-looking soldier Maigumeri was! An Army barracks has now been named after him in Lokoja.

The below photograph was snapped on the 21st May 1953, Royal Sergeant Major Chari Magumeri, a member of the Nigerian Regiment, with Lieutenant Colonel M M Davie, at Woolwich Barracks, London.

The regiment is part of the colonial contingent which took part in a parade during the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.
May His Gentle Soul Rest In Prefect Peace.

CREDIT: Northeast Reporters: https://www.facebook.com/637228206760552/posts/1095400760943292/?app=fbl

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Bornsinner7: 11:31am On Mar 20, 2021
So no be today wey our soldiers dey run go join foreign army...

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Ooni: 11:34am On Mar 20, 2021
If I comment on the last pix now they'll say I'm racist.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Nbotee(m): 12:05pm On Mar 20, 2021
Bornsinner7:

Dat was before Nigeria gained independence... I doubt if any northerner these days would go serve in anoda country wen they can live here in Nigeria as kings

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by janedonez(m): 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Congratulations g
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Biyonce(f): 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Who cares

3 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by BitcoinChef: 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
When there was a country

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by IPOBTERRORISTS(f): 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Wow! Magumeri RIP. Now Watch how Afonja Christian and fucking IPOB terrorists will tell us they own the german army and British monarchy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Marvieduke(f): 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Respect to him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by dynicks(m): 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
And av been in this shit hole battling with terror sponsored creatures.....just imagine how dark av become...Handsome man like me......na to find way port commot from this country be the Koko now......situations in Nigeria can make one lose his sense of compassion and morals.....Every day na so so bone face person dey always express...mtchhhhhhew!....

5 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by GeneralPula: 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
This thread go too shock pipu..

5 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by phorget(m): 2:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
This country was always beautiful but alas! some folks did made it ugly.
Why is it that Nigerians are always great whenever they are outta Nigerian shore but when we are here we amount to nothing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by tayolove12(m): 2:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
Booking
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Babzrockman: 2:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
Is like in Borno state, if u are not an Abba u would be Kyari

3 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 20, 2021
Boys scouts
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by crackhouse(m): 2:01pm On Mar 20, 2021
Igbos are trying.
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by doxijaw: 2:02pm On Mar 20, 2021
phorget:
This country was always beautiful but alas! some folks did made it ugly.
Why is it that Nigerians are always great whenever they are outta Nigerian shore but when we are here we amount to nothing.

Misplaced priorities and lack of genuine leadership.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by yaksdavirus: 2:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
Why promotion on retirement?
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by mu2sa2: 2:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
Wow, the man fought in many campaigns and survived all. Kanuri soldiers were hard fighters in the colonial army. Remember that Dan fodio's fighters couldn't overrun kanem Borno empire because of the bravery of the kanuri - they routed the fulani convincingly. Boko haram fighters are their descendants - God help Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by wink2015(m): 2:06pm On Mar 20, 2021
Nice records from the military history books.

True African Soldier ( SUNNY OKOSUN )

2 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by LokoH(m): 2:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
Bornsinner7:

That man is one of those who made oyibo man call Africans "ape"

ape ape ape ?
- eeh

ape ape ape ?
- eeh

ape ape ape
- eeh
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Kenny9857(m): 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
IPOBTERRORISTS:
Wow! Magumeri RIP. Now Watch how Afonja Christian and fucking IPOB terrorists will tell us they own the german army and British monarchy
You are stewpeed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by One4me: 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2021
Northurmate:
Late Capt. Kyari Magumeri From Borno was the first Nigerian to be promoted to the rank of CAPTAIN in British Army (1953) After making a gallant performance in 1st and 2nd WW

CREDIT: Northeast Reporters: https://www.facebook.com/637228206760552/posts/1095400760943292/?app=fbl

Could the below be why he was promoted above his head, by the British mercenary called Major (Lord) Lugard?

Please read:

By Richard Akinjide

“I was in the first cabinet that was overthrown by the military in this country. I entered parliament on December 12, 1959. And I remained in parliament until January 15, 1966 when the government was overthrown. I was the Federal Minister of Education in that cabinet. I woke up one morning in my official house in Ikoyi, Lagos, to discover that my telephone was not working. I had never experienced coup before nor did I know that it was a coup. I was thinking it was just a telephone fault, until a colleague of mine in the cabinet, Chief Abiodun Akerele, came in and told me there had been a military coup. So, I had the fortune or the misfortune of being a victim of the first coup in this country.

Many people may not know that I spent 18 months in detention in prisons across the country. I spent time in KiriKiri prison, Ilesha prison, Ibadan prison and the Abeokuta prison.

Two of us who were in Tafawa Balewa’s government emerged, when the military handed over to the civilians in 1979, as part of the civilian government. In Balewa’s government, Alhaji Shehu Shagari was the Minister of Works, while I was the Minister of Education. When the military handed over to us after about 14 years, Shagari emerged as the President while I became the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice. Again, Shagari’s government was overthrown just a few months after I left the cabinet. Of course, we suspected it was coming. A lot of things that happened between that period and now would never see the light of the day. When you are in government, you know a lot of things, you see a lot of things. A lot of things you know or did or saw will die with you.
This is the practice of the whole world. People have asked me to write my memoirs, I just laugh because there are certain things I can never reveal.
When I was in Tafawa Balewa’s Cabinet, all Cabinet Ministers had access to written intelligence report every month. That was the practice at that time. But when Shagari came in, for reasons which I cannot explain, that practice was no longer followed. But by virtue of my duties as the Attorney-General and as a member of the National Security Council, I continued to have access to some sensitive matters.
Nigeria is a very complex country. Our problems did not start yesterday. It started about 1894. Lord Lugard came here about 1894 and many people did not know that Major Lugard was not originally employed by the British government. He was employed by companies. He was first employed by East Indian Company, then by the Royal East African Company and then by the Royal Niger Company. It was from the Royal Niger Company that he transferred his services to the British government.
Unless you know this background, you will not know the root causes of our problems. The interest of the Europeans in Africa and indeed in Nigeria was economic and it’s still economic.

They have no permanent friends and no permanent interest. Neither their interest nor their friends are permanent. Nigeria was created as British sphere of interests for business.

In 1898, Lugard formed the West African Frontier Force, initially with 2,000 soldiers and that was the beginning of our problems. Anybody that wants to know the root cause of all the coups in this book and our present problems and who does not know the evolution of Nigeria, would just be looking at the matter superficially. Our problems started from that time. And Lugard was what they called at that time imperialist. A number of British soldiers, businessmen, politicians were very patriotic. But I must warn you, they were operating in the interest of their country. Lugard became a Lord. 

When Lugard formed the West African Frontier Force with 2,000 troops, about 90 percent of them were from the North, mainly from the Middle Belt. And his dispatches to London between that time and January 1914 was extremely interesting. Lugard came here for a purpose and that purpose was British interest.
Between 1898 and 1914, he sent a number of dispatches to London which led to the Amalgamation of 1914. The Order-in-Council was drawn up in November 1913, signed and came into force in January 1914. In those dispatches, Lugard said a number of things which are the root causes of yesterday and today’s problems.

The British needed the Railway from the North to the Coast in the interest of British business. Amalgamation of the South (not of the people) became of crucial importance to British business interest.
He said the North and South should be amalgamated
. Southern Nigeria came into existence in January 1900…At the Centenary of the fall of Benin, I wrote a piece in a number of newspapers but before I published the piece, I sent a copy to the Oba of Benin.

So when Benin was conquered in 1896, it made the creation of the Southern Nigerian protectorate possible on January 1, 1900. If you remember, Sokoto was not conquered until 1903. So, there was no question of Nigeria at that time. After the conquest of Sokoto, they were able to create the Northern Nigeria protectorate. Lugard went full blast and created what was to be known as the protectorate of Northern Nigeria.

What is critical and important are the reasons Lugard gave in his dispatches. They are as follows:
He said the North is poor and they have no resources to run the protectorate of the North; that they have no access to the sea; that the South has resources and that they have educated people. The first Yoruba Lawyer was called to the Bar in 1861. Therefore, because it was not the policy of the British Government to bring the tax-payers money to run the protectorate, it was in the interest of the British tax payer that there should be Amalgamation. But what the British Amalgamated was the Administration of the North and South. That is one of the root causes of the problems of Nigeria and the Nigerians.

When the amalgamation took effect, the British government sealed off the South from the North. And between 1914 and 1960, that’s a period of 46 years, the British allowed minimum contact between the North and South because it was not in the British interest that the North be allowed to be polluted by the educated South. That was the basis on which we got our independence in 1960 when I was in the parliament. I entered parliament on December 12, 1959.

When the North formed a political party, the Northern leaders called it Northern People’s Congress (NPC). They didn’t call it Nigeria’s people Congress. That was in accordance with the dictum and policies of Lugard. When Aminu Kano formed his own party, it was called Northern Elements Progressive Union (NEPU), not Nigerian Elements Progressive Union. It was only Awolowo and Zik who were mistaken that there was anything called Nigeria. In fact, the so-called Nigeria created in 1914 was a complete fraud. It was created not in the interest of Nigeria or Nigerians but in the interest of the British. And what were the structures created? The structures created were as follows:
Northern Nigeria was to represent England; Western Nigeria like Wales; Eastern Nigeria was to be like Scotland. In the British structure, England has permanent majority in the House of Commons. There was no way Wales can ever dominate England, neither can Scotland dominate England. But they are very shrewd. They would allow a Scottish man to become Prime Minister. They would allow a Welsh man to become Prime Minister in London but the fact remains that the actual power is rested in England.

That was what Lugard created in Nigeria, a permanent majority for the North. The population figure is also a fraud. In fact, a British Colonial Civil Servant who was involved in the fraud was trying to expose it but he was never allowed to publish it.

The analysis is as follows: If you look at the map of West Africa, starting from Mauritania to Cameroun and take a population of each country as you move from the Coast to Savannah, the population decreases. Or conversely, as you come from the Desert to the Coast, right from Mauritania to Cameroun, the population increases.
The only exception throughout the zone is Nigeria. Nigeria is the only Zone whereby you go from the Coast to the North, the population increases and you come from the North to the Coast, the population decreases. Well, geographers, anthropologists and population experts, draw your conclusions.

Someone has told me that the last population census was done by computer. What nonsense. A computer is as good as its programmer. A computer will produce what you ask it to produce.
  I have read this book from cover to cover. This is a fantastic book. I want us to find a way to ensure that many Nigerians read this book. It is a raw material for future authors. 

Talking on the first coup, when Balewa got missing, we knew Okotie-Eboh had been killed, we knew Samuel Akintola had been killed. We the members of the Balewa cabinet started meeting.  But how can we have a cabinet meeting without the Prime Minister acting or the Prime Minister presiding. So, unanimously, we nominated acting Prime Minister amongst us and we continued holding our meetings. Then we got a message that we should all assemble at the Cabinet office. All the Ministers were requested by the G.O.C. of the Nigerian Army, General Aguiyi Ironsi to assemble.

What was amazing at that time was that Ironsi was going all over Lagos unarmed. 
We assembled there, having nominating Zana Diphcharima as our acting prime minister in the absence of the Prime Minister, whose where about we didn’t know. We approached the acting President, Nwafor Orizu to swear him in because he could not legitimately act as the Prime Minister except he was sworn in. Nwafor Orizu refused. He said he needed to contact Zik who was then in West Indies.
Under the Law, that is, the interpretation Act, as acting President, Nwafor Orizu had all the powers of the President.

The G.O.C said he wanted to see all the cabinet ministers. And so we assembled at the cabinet office. Well, I have read in many books saying that we handed over to the military. We did not hand-over. Ironsi told us that “you either hand over as gentlemen or you hand-over by force”.  These were his words. Is that voluntary hand-over? So we did not hand-over. We wanted the Acting Prime Minister to be in place but Ironsi forced us, and I use the word force advisedly, to handover to him. He was controlling the soldiers.

The acting President, Nwafor Orizu, who did not co-operate with us, co-operated with the GOC. Dr. Orizu and the GOC prepared speeches which Nwafor Orizu broadcast, handing over to the government of the country to the army. I hereby state again categorically as a member of that cabinet that we did not hand-over voluntarily. It was a coup.

This is a very good book, which everybody must read. It is raw material for future authors. Anybody, who wants to know some of the causes of our problems and military instability should read this book. I recommend this book to all universities and secondary schools, so that they can know how we got to where we are now. What this book shows is that if anybody stages a coup and if people don’t accept it, it would not succeed.

What puzzles me is how the author got all these materials.These
materials should not be in archives, they should be in public domain so that we know the causes of our problems.
I pray that all Nigerians should rise up and say no if anybody seizes a radio station and says “fellow countrymen”. I hope that this book will find a way into all university libraries throughout this country, to all secondary school libraries and abroad. I appeal to the media to give this book a comprehensive and desired review. The more I open the book, the more I see something to talk about. This book is going to represent one of the chapters in the tragedy of Nigeria.

This book is just like horror film because the instability which was started in 1966… because many of the coups are what I’ll call commercial coups. 
If anything at all, we have to learn a great lesson from this book and also learn a lesson on what happened, who failed or succeeded in their coups. When it succeeds, they call it glorious revolution, but when it fails, it is called treason. It is my honour and privilege to present this great and historic book. One of the things I like about the book is the language of the author. He’s someone who speaks Englishman’s English. He writes Queen’s English. Very lucid, very flowing.”
-(Being excerpts from the speech of Chief Richard Akinjide, SAN,  First and Second Republic Minister, at the public presentation of the first edition of the book “Fellow Countrymen- the story of Coup D’etats in Nigeria” by Richard Akinnola, on June 12, 2000)
[/quote]

A Mercenary, Major Lugard (Later Lord Lugard), formed a "Mercenary Army of Northerners" and called it Nigerian Army!
he then used that Mercenary Army to loot, plunder and Colonise Southerners
, to form a Slave Country called Nigeria.

I hail o.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by southpole: 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2021
IPOBTERRORISTS:
And you think he was a Muslim?, non of his name is a Muslim name, he was must likely from Southern Borno which is predominantly Christians.

3 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Duplexxx: 2:16pm On Mar 20, 2021
Old pics
Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2021
LokoH:

That man is one of those who made oyibo man call Africans "ape"
ape ape ape ? - eeh
ape ape ape ? - eeh
ape ape ape - eeh
I thought your naked ancestors were the reason.

2 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by Sonnobax15(m): 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2021
lipsrsealed
He was a ass-licker......

Only God knows how many of his kinsmen and country men he killed while trying to ass lick his master's butt...

So therefore,I'm not impressed one bit self

2 Likes

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by BENEAMATA: 2:21pm On Mar 20, 2021
This warrior is far greater than what this article is saying about him oh . Chai .
First and second world war fighting on both sides at different times ! BURMA WAR with there legendary world reknowned utterly fearless soldiers !may your fiery soul torments those who have ruined nigerian millitary with nepotism and greed ..

1 Like

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by hybridblood07(m): 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2021
No be today bro. My step father was once in the West African Frontier Force before he eqs converted to NA
Bornsinner7:

Re: Chari Magumeri: First Nigerian To Be Promoted To Rank Of Captain In British Army by SmartPolician: 2:37pm On Mar 20, 2021
We are the perfect definition of hypocrisy.

Nigerians will celebrate when their people are appointed elsewhere in the world.

However, when a fellow Nigerian is given a post in the region he or she does not hail from, the locals will start kicking.

E no go beta for who do black man this strong thing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With This Ekweremadu's Handshake? / The Dot Nation: Shehu Sani Reacts To Abaribe’s Controversial Shirt / Chisom Promise Dike Rejects Wike’s SUV Gift, Asks Governor To Repair Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.