Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,879 members, 7,851,972 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:58 AM

Why I Chose Goodluck Jonathan For Nigerian Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Chose Goodluck Jonathan For Nigerian Presidency (919 Views)

"Tambuwal Na Nonsense"; Nigerian Presidency Takes Another Swipe At APC Leaders / Perks Of The Nigerian Presidency.(must See) / Things You Must Know About The Nigerian Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Chose Goodluck Jonathan For Nigerian Presidency by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 14, 2011
WHY I CHOSE GOODLUCK JONATHAN FOR NIGERIAN PRESIDENCY
by Kingsley Jesuorobo

After a thorough assessment of the posture, position and platforms of the Nigeria's main presidential contenders, I hereby endorse President Goodluck Jonathan for president.

The man Goodluck Jonathan has consistently shown that Nigeria must come first. This has reflected not only in the bold efforts he made to curtail the rigging excesses of miscreants in the ruling party (PDP) by appointing a credible and unbiased Jega as head of the INEC but also by using the Federal law enforcement might to ensure, by a large measure, that the Nigerian people's voice prevailed during the just concluded parliamentary election. From Urhonigbe (my town of birth) in Edo State to the hometown of the Vice President in Kaduna State to Aso Rock villa where the President himself resides, the opposition freely and fairly won the election. My brother-in-law, a fellow over 40 who is a stalwart of the opposition party , exclaimed to me that this was the most free and fair election he ever witnessed in his life. I admit that there were instances of electoral barbarism in some places. For instance, I was reliably informed that in Akwa Ibom, INEC (election) officials were kidnapped, forced to sign election result sheets, and held hostage (for two days) in the bushes while election results proclaiming PDP victory were announced. That said, I believe that Mr. Jonathan deserves credit for using the tools at his disposal to ensure that Nigerians experienced what is arguably the most free and fair election yet. For me, his selfless commitment to this most vital of all rights of citizens makes him deserving of my support and praise. I detest electoral malpractices. See http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2007/apr/196.html .

As for the other main contenders, particularly Buhari and Ribadu, I am compelled to say that their inability to form a cohesive whole after repeated attempts agonized me to the point of questioning their (individual and/or collective) abilities to effectively lead Nigeria at this time of fragile national cohesion. While their individual pedigrees, platforms and proposed policies sound solid and sellable, at the end of the day, the complexity of Nigeria requires a leader with a healthy blend of varied qualities not the least of which is the characteristic of compromise and accommodation of the interest of others.

Jonathan has consistently shown compromise, courage, resolve, restraint, tolerance, humility and leadership despite occupying a very powerful position which past leaders have used to their maximum selfish advantage and to further sectional, tribal, religious and even philosophical interest. Again, his choice of Jega demonstrates courage and selflessness. His disposition during the testy times of former president Yar Adua's illness demonstrated humility, restraint, selflessness and leadership. His repetitive pleas to fellow PDP members and co-contestants (IBB, Atiku, etc.) to still come and join him in moving his party forward despite the pervasive winner takes all mentality in Nigerian politics and despite the ceaseless campaign against him by them long after the PDP primary show humility and leadership. His broad and bold initiatives to change the way things are traditionally done in Nigeria have endeared him to me. His choice of the first Igbo army officer to lead the Nigerian Army since Aguiyi Ironsi speaks volume of his courage and determination to ensure that no Nigerian is left behind on account of his or her place of origin. His arrest and prosecution of errant and disruptive and erstwhile seemingly untouchable militant leaders from his Niger Delta region is indicative of his firm resolve to resolve the lingering crisis in the Niger Delta. Under him, many individuals that were generally seen as untouchables - from Ibru to Ibori - have been made to feel the wrath of justice over corruption and fraud issues. I have heard of trains roaring back to life again albeit slowly under him. I have heard that the Education sector is being pumped with unprecedented resources in order to lay solid foundation for Nigeria's tomorrow. I have heard that the power sector is being privatised in order to wrest it from vested interests and corrupt and inefficient state parastatals who have perennially preyed on Nigerians. I have been in fora where this man has defied protocol restrictions and age-long tradition of Nigerian leaders to listen to the voices of Nigerians, including my own, and respond to questions one after the other thereby demonstrating accountability.

And this man -Jonathan - has barely been in office for a year.

I therefore believe that among all the contenders, Goodluck Jonathan offers Nigeria the greatest hope and highest chance of survival and success.
Re: Why I Chose Goodluck Jonathan For Nigerian Presidency by Seun(m): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2011
Good write-up; I agree with your choice, but I can't put it on the home page unless it generates a debate.

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Governorship Election:ppn Ready To Work With Any Party - Daniel •presidenti / Up To 25 Corp Members Have Been Murdered In The Madness Going On In The North? / Ohakim Must Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.