Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,326 members, 7,836,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi (3223 Views)

N30bn Fund: How Fear Of Impeachment Forced Akpabio To Apologise To Governors / TY Danjuma: "P&ID, Michael Quinn Stole My Idea" / TY Danjuma Raises Alarm Over Plans To Rig 2019 Elections . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 3:42am On Mar 22, 2021
Christistruth00:

Some of the Coup plotters like Nzeogwu and Ademoyega that Nzeogwu recruited didn’t know they Were only pawns in a bigger Grand Plot which involved Ironsi and NCNC Politicians

Nzeogwu didn’t realise till after he had killed Sardauna

Nzeogwu was not the recruiter. Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. Ifeajuna and Captain Oji started the plot and yes, NCNC politicians were involved.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 3:50am On Mar 22, 2021
Christistruth00

Let me make it easy.

Fajuyi was involved in the plot. We have established that he not only knew of the plot, but he also contributed ideas about how it should be executed. He would have been arrested by the authorities if they knew this. He was involved in the plot.

However, he was not involved in the plot within the plot.

Secondly, as you can see from Walbe's testimony, the junior northern officers that kidnapped and killed him suspected that he was involved and that's why they wanted him.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 3:53am On Mar 22, 2021
More from Walbe.

We arrested him as we arrested Ironsi.  We suspected him of being party to the January coup.  You remember the Battle Group Course which was held at Abeokuta….Fajuyi was the Commander of the Battle Group Course…All those who took part in the January coup were those who had taken part in that course.  It gave us the impression that the Battle Course was arranged for the January coup, so he had to suffer it too. I am sorry about that but that is the nature of the life of a military man……..”

https://dawodu.com/omoigui13.htm
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 3:55am On Mar 22, 2021
You might be surprised to find out that I'm friends with Max Siollun, but I don't depend on one source. I read from a variety of first hand sources.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by Christistruth00: 4:06am On Mar 22, 2021
naptu2:

Nzeogwu was not the recruiter. Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. Ifeajuna and Captain Oji started the plot and yes, NCNC politicians were involved.

There was a bigger Grand Plot involving Ironsi and NCNC Politicians like Nwafor Orizu Nzeogwu and Ademoyega were small fry in a bigger Grand Plot and they were deceived into doing the dirty Work.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/10/01/akinjide-the-story-of-the-first-coup-has-not-been-told-yet/

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:10am On Mar 22, 2021
Christistruth00:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/10/01/akinjide-the-story-of-the-first-coup-has-not-been-told-yet/

Chief Richard Akinjide!!!

Listen, as you said, Ojukwu also knew a little about the coup. Read Ojukwu's book. He stated it clearly that Ifeajuna was the leaders of the coup. All the military officers that were involved, either on the side of the coup or against it, stated clearly that Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. Ironsi hijacked the coup, but he was not one of the plotters.

I've told you, cite firsthand accounts, not people who were told or who read. Cite accounts of people that were actually there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:19am On Mar 22, 2021
Some people accused Ironsi of being the leader of the coup simply because he was Igbo and because he took over, but consider this.

If Ironsi was the leader of the coup then the coup succeeded. Therefore there was no reason for Ifeajuna to flee to Ghana. The arrested coupists would have been released and would have served Ironsi. Ironsi needed troops at that time and they would have been a ready source of troops.

The leader of the coup was Emmanuel Ifeajuna. He and Captain Oji planned the coup. Yes, some NCNC politicians were also involved, but Ironsi was not the leader of the coup.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:25am On Mar 22, 2021
Ironsi hijacked the coup while it was in motion. Some say he knew about the coup in advance and planned to hijack it, but he was not the leader of the coup. He did a coup within a coup.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:26am On Mar 22, 2021
But we have moved away from Fajuyi. Do you now accept that Fajuyi was involved in the coup and that the northern soldiers suspected that he was involved?
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by Christistruth00: 4:27am On Mar 22, 2021
naptu2:
Some people accused Ironsi of being the leader of the coup simply because he was Igbo and because he took over, but consider this.

If Ironsi was the leader of the coup then the coup succeeded. Therefore there was no reason for Ifeajuna to flee to Ghana. The arrested coupists would have been released and would have served Ironsi. Ironsi needed troops at that time and they would have been a ready source of troops.

The leader of the coup was Emmanuel Ifeajuna. He and Captain Oji planned the coup. Yes, some NCNC politicians were also involved, but Ironsi was not the leader of the coup.

Fajuyi and Ejoor were booked into the Ikoyi Hotel with Largema and were supposed to have been assassinated with him.

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/02/10/how-david-ejoor-escaped-death-foiled-the-1st-coup-in-eastern-region-british-intelligence-report/

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:29am On Mar 22, 2021
Christistruth00:

Fajuyi and Ejoor were booked into the Ikoyi Hotel with Largema and were supposed to have been assassinated with him.

https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/02/10/how-david-ejoor-escaped-death-foiled-the-1st-coup-in-eastern-region-british-intelligence-report/

Already answered here

naptu2:
Christistruth00

Let me make it easy.

Fajuyi was involved in the plot. We have established that he not only knew of the plot, but he also contributed ideas about how it should be executed. He would have been arrested by the authorities if they knew this. He was involved in the plot.

However, he was not involved in the plot within the plot.

Secondly, as you can see from Walbe's testimony, the junior northern officers that kidnapped and killed him suspected that he was involved and that's why they wanted him.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:50am On Mar 22, 2021
Who was the leader of the coup?

I misplaced my copy of Ojukwu's book years ago, but read that book and you'll see that Ojukwu said that Ifeajuna was the leader.

Read Ademoyega's book too. Ademoyega made it clear that Ifeajuna was the leader.

Max Siollun: https://www.dawodu.com/siollun5.htm

Respected journalist Peter Enahoro. He says that "Allegations of Ironsi's involvement are nonsense". You might also notice that this thread was created by Max when he was a member of Nairaland.

https://www.nairaland.com/370567/enahoro-january-15-1966-not

The reason that you think Ironsi led it is because he hijacked it. He was not the leader. (By the way, I know all about what Victor Banjo did to Ironsi on the day of the coup and what happened at the rump cabinet. I have read both Akinjide and Shagari's accounts).
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 5:12am On Mar 22, 2021
maxsiollun:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/05/%E2%80%9Cjanuary-15-1966-not-nzeogwu%E2%80%99s-coup%E2%80%9D/

“January 15, 1966 not Nzeogwu’s Coup”
Politics Dec 5, 2009
Allegations of Aguiyi-Ironsi’s involvement nonsense, says Peter Enahoro

The official version of the failed coup that set off the collapse of the First Republic, led to the Nigerian Civil War and ushered in thirty years of military interventions in Nigerian politics is that the munity was masterminded by Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, an officer at the Nigerian Military Training Centre (NMTC) in Kaduna.

It is a claim that has been mildly contradicted in the past by Dim Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu who led the Biafran secession. Now comes an assertive support of that denial from an independent, non-military source, turning the official version on its head.

Author, publisher and international journalist, Peter Enahoro was the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Times newspapers, popularly known as columnist Peter Pan at the time of the events of January 15, 1966 and the subsequent July 29 “revenge coup” that brought then Lt-Col. Yakubu Gowon to power. Enahoro fled Nigeria in self-exile when armed soldiers failed to find him at home.

In his memoirs titled: “Then Spoke the Thunder”, published this month in Nigeria by Napmind Communications Ltd. Enahoro argues forcefully that the failed coup was the brainchild of Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna, who was the Brigade Major of the 2nd Brigade, Apapa, commanded by Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari, third highest ranking officer in the Nigerian Army and the most senior officer of Northern origin.

Enahoro writes: “Nzeogwu has been credited with top billing as the master-planner partly because he was successful in Kaduna – bastion of Northern political pride at the time – but mostly because his broadcast, unprecedented in Nigerian history, gave a revolutionary voice to the events of that day and thus drew a national focus that turned him into a folklore figure.

Nzeogwu’s true place in the story of January 15, 1966 was that he achieved its main objectives in the capital of the Northern Region, and in the absence of an expected dawn broadcast by Ifeajuna from Lagos, he went on air in Kaduna at midday to stake a claim that should have come from the Federal capital, where Ifeajuna, the arch originator of the plot, had woefully failed to fulfil his assignment before fleeing the country.”

But Enahoro’s conclusion is more than conjecture. He says he had a copy of Ifeajuna’s account of the coup handwritten by the major in Accra to where he fled after the failed coup: “I had a photocopy of the document in my possession on that day of July 29 when the revenge coup raged savagely. It was given to me to keep after Ifeajuna returned from Accra.”

Enahoro says he received a call on the afternoon of July 29 instructing him to burn the manuscript: “You know that thing? Put am for ECN,”said his caller who is named in the book. “I knew at once he meant the copy of Ifeajuna’s manuscript. I understood him to mean I should burn the manuscript. “ECN’ was the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria and electric power (or light) in Yoruba is the same word for “fire”. Put am for ECN meant put it to fire. Burn it.”

“Thus was lost to me a copy of Ifeajuna’s handwritten Accra account of the failed coup attempt that induced a Civil War and led to thirty years of military interventions in Nigerian politics. In a way the contents of that document changed the course of my life for ever.”

There is evidence also that Ifeajuna tried to have a manuscript published in Biafra. Christopher Okigbo and Chinua Achebe jointly formed a publishing company they called Citadel Press in the early days of Biafra. Ezenwa-Ohaeto says in his biography of Chinua Achebe that “Okigbo brought (a) manuscript … from Emmanuel Ifeajuna” which, he “enthusiastically passed on to Achebe.” Achebe “discovered there were flaws in the story” and turned it down.

Years later, Achebe told his biographer: “It seemed to be self-serving. Emmanuel was attempting a story in which he was a centre and everybody else was marginal. So he was the star of the thing. I did not know what they did or not but reading his account in the manuscript, I thought that the author was painting himself as a hero.”

Enahoro writes: “Achebe misled himself in dismissing Ifeajuna’s account. Like many people caught up in the romanticism that came to surround Nzeogwu, Achebe was prejudiced and did not give himself a chance to consider the true facts. If anyone had an ego question in this specific matter it was Nzeogwu. Ezenwa-Ohaeto says that, Okigbo came to Achebe (a few days later) and told him that Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu had asked him, ‘I hear you and Achebe are going to publish Emma’s lies.’ That comment by Nzeogwu, a principal actor in the January coup, confirmed that the manuscript was unreliable,’ Ezenwa-Ohaeto concluded.”

Enahoro continues: “Ifeajuna certainly did not defer to anyone as the leader of the January 15 uprising though he did not publicly challenge the assumption that Nzeogwu led it. That should be no surprise. It was in his character to avoid responsibility for failure. He failed where Nzeogwu succeeded in his assignment. He might even have felt good to have attention deflected from him. He had nothing to commend him and challenging the myth surrounding Nzeogwu in the atmosphere of 1966 would only have drawn unwanted attention to his own failure in Lagos.

Enahoro refers to a newspaper interview by Nzeogwu in which the major said himself: “He (Ifeajuna) was in charge of a whole brigade and had all the excuse and opportunity in the world to mobilise his troops anywhere, anyhow and any time.”

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo in his tribute to his friend Nzeogwu quotes Ifeajuna stating as follows: “I had to pass messages to Enugu and Abeokuta. From these centres, our people were to take action in distant zones. These were the messages that were to throw the machinery of the whole operation into gear all over the country at the same time.”

Enahoro says that “Ifeajuna, not Nzeogwu, flagged off the operation because it was his coup,” and goes on to argue that, “the facts are compelling that Ifeajuna was better placed to organise the network of conspirators.”

“Ifeajuna had his commander’s full confidence. As chief of operations at brigade headquarters he knew the details of the commanders’ conference that took place that week in Lagos. H[b]e had the records of the hotel accommodations for the visiting commanders, which made it easy for those marked for elimination to be tracked down and murdered in their rooms. It was Ifeajuna who gave the pep talk and it was from his residence that the coup-makers fanned out to carry out the night’s work in Lagos.”[/b]

Peter Enahoro recalls that Nzeogwu was a training officer at the Nigerian Military Training Centre in Kaduna and says that the major’s access to manpower and other resources was limited; that, “he was a long way from Lagos, the Federal capital – surely a vital consideration that would have been pivotal to the planning.”

“It would have been a curious state of affairs if indeed Nzeogwu held the core planning in his hands. The man who had to make the most critical decisions, who had a greater access to manpower and knew where the top officers likely to foil the coup attempt would be at a given time, was Ifeajuna.

“Nzeogwu had a lower schedule; he was a long distance away in Kaduna, far from the command centre of the most decisive operations, which were the operational imperatives in Lagos.

“Most of all, a coup that failed to capture the Federal capital would instantly lack credibility, as evidenced by the failure of the Army to rally to Nzeogwu’s banner after his broadcast from Kaduna. The consequences of the failure in Lagos must have been clear to him even as he made his belated noontime broadcast.

“Nzeogwu’s afternoon broadcast thus had an element of bravado. Without success in Lagos and with General Aguiyi-Ironsi on the loose the attempted coup had effectively collapsed. Nzeogwu’s threat to march on Lagos was another bluff.

He did not have the necessary troops at his command. He was in hostile territory in the North; his contacts in Lagos were in disarray – he had no knowledge of the whereabouts of the operational chief in the plot or of the other collaborators. Peacefully handing over power to Major Hassan Katsina in Kaduna was a palliative political move by a man now motivated by a natural survival instinct.”

The author believes that Ifeajuna later revised the account he wrote in Ghana. He writes: “I do not believe the document I had was an exact copy of what General Obasanjo describes as Ifeajuna’s ‘unpublished work’. The document that came to me had no pretensions of a “work”; instead, it struck me as a hastily written apologia, a mea culpa, essentially intended to impress General Aguiyi-Ironsi. To be sure there was a rushed attempt to explain the background to the failed coup, but it did not have the quality of an address to posterity deserving of Obasanjo labelling it an ‘unpublished work.’

I thought at the time that Ifeajuna sought to ingratiate himself with the Supreme Commander, saying that the aim of the plot was to overthrow the civilian government and hand over the reins of power to ‘my general’, which I’m sure was how he put it in the manuscript I had.

“The fact that General Obasanjo’s book records him as stating that ‘we were to present our senior officers with a fait accompli’ suggests to me that there was an afterthought between the time of the manuscript I had in my possession and the time Ifeajuna wrote the script from which Obasanjo lifted his quote.

In other words, that Ifeajuna may have thought it expedient to broaden his appeal.

That would mean that the account he wrote in Accra was later updated and given a polish; which may be why General Obasanjo dignified the version he refers to with the nuance of a classic.”

“With the spotlight on Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna had the partial anonymity that would allow him concentrate on plotting his next big adventure: seeking the downfall of Odumegwu-Ojukwu, a man the January mutineers thought a carpetbagger and for whom they could barely conceal their resentment.

Ifeajuna’s unsuccessful plot to overthrow Odumegwu-Ojukwu in Biafra was his last failure for which he paid with his life.”

The official account says that Prime Minister Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was arrested by Major Donatus Okafor, Commander of Federal Guards in Lagos.

Enahoro asks, “Where was Major Ifeajuna at that moment? If he was not physically in charge of the Prime Minister at which point did Okafor hand the Prime Minister over to him?” He says he asks the question “because there is no question it was Ifeajuna who killed Sir Abubakar …”

An attempt by the revenge coup perpetrators to justify the killing of General Aguiyi-Ironsi by linking him with the January 15 failed coup is not accepted by Peter Enahoro’s account. He says that the General was in fact marked down for elimination by If eajuna and that one man that could have exonerated Aguiyi-Ironsi was the Inspector-General of Police, the late Alhaji Kam Salem who the author says telephoned the military commander to inform him that the police were reporting usual troop movements in Lagos.

“Neither Nzeogwu nor Ifeajuna had a great regard for General Aguiyi-Ironsi.,” Enahoro writes and quotes Nzeogwu saying of his Commander-in-Chief, in the major’s magazine interview earlier referred to: ‘He actually joined the army as a tally-clerk and was a clerk most of the time.’

Aguiyi-Ironsi’s remark to Obasanjo when the latter flew to Lagos to intercede on behalf of his friend was a clear indication that there was no love lost between Nzeogwu and Aguiyi-Ironsi.

“Nzeogwu talked about safe conduct for him and his colleagues, when I spoke to him,” the General told Obasanjo; and then he asked, “What exactly does he mean? Does he want medals for what they have done?”

According to Enahoro, “(Ifeajuna) had Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa in the back of his car as he drove around Ikoyi trying to regain advantage in the botched coup, as he continued his desperate search for General Aguiyi-Ironsi who he had down for elimination.”

Enahoro asserts that Ifeajuna made a stop to drop off one of his wounded men at the Ikoyi flat of Sam Agbam, an External Affairs officer who had been his fellow alumnus at Ibadan University. He told Sam Agbam he had Sir Abubakar in the car and he boasted to his friend, “We are taking over the government”.

Ifeajuna told Sam Agbam that when he told the Prime Minister he had to come with him Sir Abubakar asked for a minute or two to pray.

“Whether he granted Sir Abubakar’s wish has passed on with the Souls of the only two men who knew exactly what took place,” writes Enahoro, adding: “Ifeajuna also told Agbam that Sir Abubakar said to him, ‘Do you think you’ll succeed in this thing you are doing?”

Did Ifeajuna make that scene up in his hurried account to Agbam on the night of the attempted coup? The author does not think so.

Footnote: The book: “Then Spoke the Thunder” will be launched at Sheraton Hotel, Abuja on Monday 7 December, at 11 am.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by capatainrambo: 6:42am On Mar 22, 2021
juman:

Danjuma led them to fajuyi house, but the army boys neglected danjuman's order at a point.
So those army boys took ironsi and fajuyi away, there was nothing danjuma could do.
danjuma arrested the head of state . He acted In what capacity ?
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by capatainrambo: 6:43am On Mar 22, 2021
AdakaBoro8:
i dont know about the rest, but in boro case igbos have to apologise to us.. or we will keep reject the brothership they begging us for
ibos beg ijaw? u guys re another herdsmen that will be dealt with soon enough.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by AdakaBoro8(m): 7:15am On Mar 22, 2021
capatainrambo:
ibos beg ijaw? u guys re another herdsmen that will be dealt with soon enough.
ibo dealt with ijaw? how? how a can a dog dealt with a wolve? una wey fulani take dey dance awigiri... ask ipob who is beating them to cry?

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by opuambe(m): 7:28am On Mar 22, 2021
Ekealterego:

The greedy thug Adaka Boro was slaughtered like the betrayer he was fighting against his own people... He was slaughtered and killed by the Nigerian forces at Okirika.

The murderer who is a self acclaimed "Human right activist, "Saro Wiwa" was hanged like a chicken by the Northern powers...

These two places have one thing in common, poverty and backwardness.
you are mad for calling adaka boro a betrayer, who jailed him,just because he wanted resource control for his people... This your useless tribe call Igbo think you can eat your cake and have it back. We are proud of him and we are also happy that he fought on the side of Nigeria
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by obyrich(m): 7:29am On Mar 22, 2021
juman:

Danjuma led them to fajuyi house, but the army boys neglected danjuman's order at a point.
So those army boys took ironsi and fajuyi away, there was nothing danjuma could do.
Same way he could do nothing now his people are being ravaged by Fulani bandits. Nemesis.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by juman(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2021
obyrich:
Same way he could do nothing now his people are being ravaged by Fulani bandits. Nemesis.

Sardauna was remarkable and exceptional leader.
The north of yesterday was good. One north.
Danjuma was committed to it. It was commendable.

But today northern leaders are useless and there is divided north..
Buhari ni o, sultani ni o etc, are useless.

Today, fulani are terrorists.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by capatainrambo: 9:36am On Mar 22, 2021
AdakaBoro8:
ibo dealt with ijaw? how? how a can a dog dealt with a wolve? una wey fulani take dey dance awigiri... ask ipob who is beating them to cry?
lol. You guys will be hauled back to Bayelsa. That cesspit you call home. Delta ondo edo rivers isnt urs deal with it
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by Ekealterego: 10:20am On Mar 22, 2021
opuambe:
you are mad for calling adaka boro a betrayer, who jailed him,just because he wanted resource control for his people... This your useless tribe call Igbo think you can eat your cake and have it back. We are proud of him and we are also happy that he fought on the side of Nigeria
He fought on the side of Nigeria. Adaka Boro and the self-acclaimed human right activist, Saro Wiwa and they were still both executed like some cheap chickens by the same Nigeria they fought for? Now Ogoni and Ijaw areas are disposable biochemical wasteland and the people are as poor as dirt.
The Irony is that even Ogoni and Ijaw people do not see eye to eye.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by AdakaBoro8(m): 2:39pm On Mar 22, 2021
capatainrambo:
lol. You guys will be hauled back to Bayelsa. That cesspit you call home. Delta ondo edo rivers isnt urs deal with it
hmm. guy i dey delta dey enjoy o..
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by Malawian(m): 2:59pm On Mar 22, 2021
What should "Danjuma" and not Fulani or Tarrok (Whichever is his tribe) asked to apologize? But Nzeogwu is not asked to apologize, rather all Igbo should apologize?
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by Christistruth00: 5:14pm On Mar 22, 2021
cool

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by nku5: 6:05pm On Mar 22, 2021
naptu2:
William Walbe was one of the soldiers that kidnapped Ironsi from Danjuma. He has stated everything that happened, including events in the bush after they had taken Ironsi and Fajuyi away from Government House.

Fajuyi was one of the coupists as has been stated by other coupists, including Adewale Ademoyega. The northern officers who kidnapped Fajuyi and Ironsi suspected that he was one of the coupists because most of the people that did the January coup were at the company commanders course that Fajuyi commanded in Abeokuta. Some of the January coupists were recruited at that course.

After they came out of Government House, Danjuma ordered that Ironsi and Fajuyi should be detained at a particular place, but Garba Dada (aka Paiko) turned the submachine on Danjuma and complained that their elders were killed in January and people like Danjuma did nothing. He said that Ironsi would soon disappear with his crocodile, yet Danjuma is talking about detention. What stupid detention?

That's how Danjuma lost control. Remember that he was a stranger to the troops, because he came from Lagos with Ironsi. The core of the troops at Government House that night were Ibadan based troops and they were very angry because their commanding officer, Abogo Largema, had been killed at Ikoyi Hotel by Ifeajuna during the January coup. They wanted revenge.

They took Fajuyi and Ironsi into the bush and started interrogating them. Ironsi behaved like a true soldier. Remember that he had been a prisoner of war in Burma. He stated his name and rank and refused to say anything else (that's how prisoners of war are supposed to behave).

Garba Dada was asking him questions but he refused to talk. This angered Garba Dada and he suddenly shot him. William Walbe said that even he was shocked when Ironsi was shot.

The shooting provided an opportunity for Ironsi's ADC, Nwankwo, as he immediately ran into the bush during the confusion. The troops tried to get him, but they couldn't. Thereafter they shot Fajuyi too.

After killing and burying Ironsi and Fajuyi, they went to Agodi Prison to look for the January coup plotters.

They got there and the prison warden didn't want to allow them to see the prisoners because they didn't have the right paperwork.

William Walbe said that he was explaining to the prison warden when he suddenly felt something hot near his stomach. One of the other soldiers had suddenly shot the prison warden dead. The bullet went past Walbe's stomach. The soldier that shot said that Walbe and the warden were speaking too much English.

That's how they went on to torture the January coupists that were detained there.

Later in life, Walbe deeply regretted his involvement in the counter-coup. His pain was that the middlebelt was used to neutralize the north's rival (igbos) and dumped
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 6:56pm On Mar 22, 2021
nku5:

Later in life, Walbe deeply regretted his involvement in the counter-coup. His pain was that the middlebelt was used to neutralize the north's rival (igbos) and dumped

Why are you telling me this??

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by nku5: 3:49pm On Mar 23, 2021
naptu2:

Why are you telling me this??

Just sharing a historical fact in the spirit of discourse
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:03pm On Mar 23, 2021
nku5:

Just sharing a historical fact in the spirit of discourse

Historical fact? Interesting. Can you link me to an article in which he said those exact words?
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:06pm On Mar 23, 2021
They went down to the front of the house together. Immediately he gave instructions for the Supreme Commander to be loaded into a vehicle with a large complement of soldiers and two officers and that he should be driven to Bida Prison to be held pending the date of a full enquiry.

It was at this point that the tables turned and tragedy struck again. An officer, who according to General Danjuma had up till that time been hiding and taking very little active part in the proceedings, now turned to the soldiers and asked them to ignore him. He described the orders given by General Danjuma as "utter nonsense", and at this point the RSM who had seized the machine gun earlier now turned the gun on Major Danjuma. It was under this situation that the most junior officers present took command and loaded both the Supreme Commander and Lt-Col Fajuyi into the Land Rover filled with soldiers and drove off with them.

Page 56 of "Danjuma: The Making of a General" by Lindsay Barrett.
Re: Apologise To Ekiti. TY Danjuma Murdered Fajuyi by naptu2: 4:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
G.O.C. = General Officer Commanding the Nigerian Army, Major General JTU Aguiyi Ironsi.

When he finished, Captain Adamu then told Captain Danjuma what he knew.

He said that early that morning his commanding officer (C.O.) Lt-Col. Njoku had telephoned him and asked him to come and see him.

When he got ready and went to see him, he met the GOC with Lt-Col. Njoku and the GOC told him that some officers who he called "rebel elements" were trying to overthrow the Nigerian Government and they had heard that there had been some shooting in the Prime Minister's residence.

He also said that he had received a phone call from a lady who sounded like the wife of Brigadier Pam and that she sounded distraught.

He also said that in his attempt to reach the Prime Minister's house he was halted by a soldier, "one athlete", and told to put up his hands. He said that he simply faced down the soldier by saying he was talking absolute nonsense and should drop the gun. The soldier then stepped out of the way and he drove on.

He then gave orders to Adamu to deploy men to hunt down the "dissident elements", which he said included Emmanuel Ifeajuna and if they could not be arrested they should be shot.

After telling Captain Danjuma this story, Captain Adamu led him in to see the C.O. Lt-Col Njoku.

From "Danjuma: The Making of a General" by Lindsay Barrett. Page 40.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

U Between Atiku And Tinubu, Who Get Money Pass? / Lady Produces And Distributes Peter Obi Bags To Market Women (pictures) / Which Guber Elections Will Apc,lp,pdp And Nnpp Win?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.