Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call (28870 Views)

NDLEA: How Fake $20m Was Found In An Abuja-bound Bus From Lagos / Thief Caught 8 Months After He Stole Phone & Withdrew N500K From Victim Account / Man Withdrew ₦750k From Victim's Account After Shooting His Eye In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Tonalphs(f): 8:57pm On Mar 21, 2021
like someone rightly said, let young ones like us enlighten our parents from time to time.
similar call like this I received around last month I guess. but I didn't fall. when the caller noticed I was using her to catch cruise, body tell her, she cut call. immediately I informed my households both extended and nuclear family. colleagues at work too. lol.
my dad said anytime they call him, he tells them to give their life to Christ. hahahaha.

3 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:59pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:
Can Money Sent To Fraudsters Be Gotten Back?

My dad called me recently to tell me about how he was defrauded. He told me that a guy called him and told him that he is a customer care personnel from the bank he uses and that his account has some issues, so he was asked to send his details which he did.

After sending it, they started transferring the money in the account to another account and he had to rush to a POS stand to transfer the rest to his other account. They had transferred close to #500,000 before he was able to do this.

So, I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced this and has been able to retrieve his/her money.

Please any reasonable advice is welcomed and please no insults.

Get the account number the money was transferred to from your transaction history. Then try send one naira to it through your account, you will get the details of the recipient... To to Facebook or just enter the name on Google to see the person involved and the rest is.....how you want am

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:00pm On Mar 21, 2021
hakeem4:
did you read the post?
No, I didn't ooo! I was high as f*ck.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by symbianDON(m): 9:01pm On Mar 21, 2021
Dexpro:
Yes. It can be recovered. And don't be bothered about the comments above saying it will cost you more.

Firstly, get the account number the funds were transferred to.

Go to any magistrate court, make sure you see the registrar. Give him/her the full story. TELL THEM YOU WANT A COURT ORDER. You will pay for this court order. 10% of the money to be recovered.

You probably will get the court order tomorrow. When you have it with you, do a photocopy and serve the original to the bank your dad's monies were transferred. I'm pretty sure the branch manager will PND the account.

Now, go to any police station, meet with the DPO. Just tell the constables at the counter you have a document for the DPO.

At the DPOs, explain the entire situation and tell him you want A POLICE REPORT. You will most likely be connected to the state CID department. Meanwhile, details of the fraudulent transfer would have been collected from you. Rapport with the CID personnel. When you have Police Report, photocopy and serve the bank the original.

You and your dad should visit his bank and put things back in order coz the account is already compromised. When.you get to the bank, they'll put you through.

The account that hosted your dad's money will be blocked and put on lien. Any amount that comes in will be held and can not be withdrawn.

The account owner, will be picked up. He'll lead the police to the person that made the transfer.

All of these can happen, this week.
the problem is, this fraudsters are now smarter. chances are, the account the money was transferred to is a 'no trace account'! they open those accounts online using other people's details (bvn etc) but they control the account. they open the account for the sole purpose of the scam and then they discard. if law enforcement tries to track the account, the wrong, innocent person will be picked up!

5 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by ikorodureporta: 9:05pm On Mar 21, 2021
cheesy cheesy
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by tolguy(m): 9:08pm On Mar 21, 2021
go and complain to the CBN customers complaints unit, anf NDIC your money will be refunded
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by passionberry(f): 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2021
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Dexpro: 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2021
Now that's another angle

symbianDON:
the problem is, this fraudsters are now smarter. chances are, the account the money was transferred to is a 'no trace account'! they open those accounts online using other people's details (bvn etc) but they control the account. they open the account for the sole purpose of the scam and then they discard. if law enforcement tries to track the account, the wrong, innocent person will be picked up!

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by replete(m): 9:11pm On Mar 21, 2021
symbianDON:
such account can not be allowed to hold such amount of money. usually not more than 20k if am not mistaken.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Aflix(m): 9:13pm On Mar 21, 2021
Dexpro:
Yes. It can be recovered. And don't be bothered about the comments above saying it will cost you more.

Go to any magistrate court, make sure you see the registrar. Give him/her the full story. TELL THEM YOU WANT A COURT ORDER. You will pay for this court order. 10% of the money to be recovered.

You probably will get the court order tomorrow. When you have it with you, do a photocopy and serve the original to the bank your dad's monies were transferred. I'm pretty sure the branch manager will PND the account.

Now, go to any police station, meet with the DPO. Just tell the constables at the counter you have a document for the DPO.

At the DPOs, explain the entire situation and tell him you want A POLICE REPORT. You will most likely be connected to the state CID department. Meanwhile, details of the fraudulent transfer would have been collected from you. Rapport with the CID personnel. When you have Police Report, photocopy and serve the bank the original.

You and your dad should visit his bank and put things back in order coz the account is already compromised. When.you get to the bank, they'll put you through.

The account that hosted your dad's money will be blocked and put on lien. Any amount that comes in will be held and can not be withdrawn.

The account owner, will be picked up. He'll lead the police to the person that made the transfer.

Wow! Thanks alot for this.

2 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by adecz: 9:16pm On Mar 21, 2021
They usually succeed with the
unsuspecting elderly or the technologically
unsavvy & not up to date with modern
cyber crime.

I am sure they work together with all
these underpaid young chaps in the banks,
because they disclose your name, acct number
& BVN to you in order to make themselves
appear genuine.

They then go for the kill by asking you
to confirm your ATM card number & 3 digit
security number.

Once you are dumb or nsive enough to
give it to them, they will tell you that they
are sending a security number to your
phone which you should send back to
them to confirm your phone number.

Na OTP be that, they now have full access to your account .

5 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by chatinent: 9:19pm On Mar 21, 2021
This is an old format na.

Oh, baba na old man too.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Numerouno94(m): 9:19pm On Mar 21, 2021
samdaisi:

ignorant kills faster than sickness
every organisation has ethics and the banks of Nigeria is being controlling by central bank of Nigeria any deviation from it attracts fine and penalty

Pls learn the use of English language b4 insulting people online. Starting a sentence wit a small letter nd u still hv d effontry to use the adjective "ignorant" on me. Anyways i will pardon u for that.

Pls u can watch brekete tv on cables by ordinary President nd see the evil nd fraud our banking sectors re committing. I dnt jux type or say tinx i knw notin abt; i only say tinx i hv first hand info abt pls..

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by mmsen: 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2021
ikllbrokehoes:
Wait.. so people still fall for these scam tactics? damn!

They usually target older people.

It's the same in any country that you go to. Even the Yahoo boys in Naija target older people abroad.

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by osusuallstars: 9:23pm On Mar 21, 2021
Those that wired the money are still here on nairaland and cannot give u any meaningful advice .

Go to your bank and complain asap
Is your dad an illiterate?
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Wettoid123: 9:24pm On Mar 21, 2021
i dont read things like this una be mumu? after the mamy enlightenment about this fraudster una still fall mugu, you know suppose announce yourself pls hide ur face in shame.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Ikjosh04: 9:27pm On Mar 21, 2021
Apt!

Dexpro:

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:30pm On Mar 21, 2021
sirrotex:
If the money is still in the fraudsters account, you can approach the fraudsters bank to put a post no debit on the account. Once this is successfully achieved then you must obtain a court order to reverse the funds to your account.
a bank has to get a court order to place an account on post no debit.
The fraudsters dont even send the money to their own account. They send it to a friend or relative account. And the friend or relative withdraw immediately, not knowing it was fraud.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:31pm On Mar 21, 2021
sirrotex:
If the money is still in the fraudsters account, you can approach the fraudsters bank to put a post no debit on the account. Once this is successfully achieved then you must obtain a court order to reverse the funds to your account.
the fraudster's bank wount even answer you if you are not their customer
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by ProudlyNGN: 9:34pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:

My dad called me recently to tell me about how he was defrauded. He told me that a guy called him and told him that he is a customer care personnel from the bank he uses and that his account has some issues, so he was asked to send his details which he did.

After sending it, they started transferring the money in the account to another account and he had to rush to a POS stand to transfer the rest to his other account. They had transferred close to #500,000 before he was able to do this.

So, I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced this and has been able to retrieve his/her money.

I'll be willing to help you Guys.

If you people can be able to get the recipient account details, that's the money that the moment was transferred to or his BVN number then you can send me a DM

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Oyetechs(m): 9:34pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:

Dear Poster,
Kindly tell your dad to report the case to his bank, the money will be reversed after due process. The fraudster can't get away with it....
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by KnightsTemplar(m): 9:35pm On Mar 21, 2021
That Is why I don't pity these scammers when they die or run mad. But OP I also blame you and your siblings, you guys should have kept your father informed about this, that any time he receives such call he should first of all let you guys, his children know first before releasing any information, it's quite unfortunate, Nigerians ehen, they don't even care if it's that person's pension, God!
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Kingsleystunner(m): 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
Bornsinner7:
To get his money back he has to spend more.. The problem in Nigeria is too much.. cuz the fraudsters must have withdrawn the money from their own end

Normally the process should be very easy since he can easily trace the account number where the money was wired to.. but the bankers themselves will make it difficult for him( sometimes these fraudsters work with bank officials )..

With BVN they can easily fetch the profile of the account and even trace the individual down to his living room.. (BVN is linked to almost everything here, National I.D, Passport, SIM card etc)

All this requires money and sometimes you may even spend more than you lost to the criminals.. Court affidavit, court order are the first step to start with

hello friend,this accident happened to one of my friend mother,we went to the bank and they couldn't Trace them so the bank told us to block the account..so the best thing to do is to block the account and reopen a new account
sorry about that and my condolence to your dad

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by capitalzero: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
aralc:

Don't say that o. I felt I was too smart to be scammed not knowing that I was so close to be. It was that day I realized God loves me. I saw their advert on twitter using zenith Bank usual promo beta life.na so I chat them with their so called verified WhatsApp number. Before I know it the said I should give them my bank details for registration. Na so I give o they told me I should send them my verification code not knowing it is otp. That's where I wanted to swear for truecaller. Normally the code will just pop up without message and an option to copy. I just pasted the code to them. Good enough they wanted to remove all my money but they exceeded transfer limit. They did it again and ask me to send otp na so my brain reset. I sent them wrong otp we argued cos I insisted it was correct las las the guy blocked me

Never give your bank details to anyone.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2021
hakeem4:
he should get police reports and court affidavit.
But the process is going to be tedious. But he’s definitely going to get his money back
if the money is still in the account abi
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:41pm On Mar 21, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

Get the account number the money was transferred to from your transaction history. Then try send one naira to it through your account, you will get the details of the recipient... To to Facebook or just enter the name on Google to see the person involved and the rest is.....how you want am
but the person the money sent to is probably innocent. The fraudsters just his account.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:42pm On Mar 21, 2021
symbianDON:
are u serious? This is terrible.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by thatigboman: 9:43pm On Mar 21, 2021
replete:

such account can not be allowed to hold such amount of money. usually not more than 20k if am not mistaken.
u are talking of tier 1 account. An account with full KYC, including BVN is unlimited naa
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Michaelin1: 9:45pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:

I can help you if you want
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2021
That how I made a complaint about my bank on twitter, guess what? A clone account of my bank replied me and refer me to a whatsapp number, I went ahead to chat with the number, he ask my details, date of birth, i gave him, so an OTP enter my message, so he ask me to send the OTP, that's when I know this is not bank at all, i cause him straight away.

4 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by okpas01: 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2021
Let him get a police report and take bank. The account will be frozen for a stipulated number of of days after which the money will be reversed. I got my 310k from one just two weeks ago.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by GraduatesGrant(m): 9:51pm On Mar 21, 2021
The KYC done by banks is not effective at all, that's the first step to get such fraudster.

Are you unemployed? And would you want to start your own company in Nigeria? Click the link on my signature and thank me later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Burial Of 17-Year-Old IPOB Member Killed During Trump Solidarity Rally. PICS / Two Killed In Fresh Cult War In Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos State (Photo) / Policemen Caught Taking Bribe, Giving ‘Special Number’ To Motorists In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.