Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,190 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Fashola's Widows Support Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Widows Support Jonathan (603 Views)

12 Reasons To Support Jonathan’s Re-Election - Presidency / Kano APC In Disarray, Kwankwasiya Movment To Support Jonathan / Support Jonathan, PDP Begs Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fashola's Widows Support Jonathan by Nchara: 5:31am On Apr 15, 2011
For President Jonathan, Lagos widows take to the streets
By KEHINDE ADEREMI

Thursday, April 14, 2011

You could see it in their eyes and in their attires. They cut the picture of abandoned wives. And indeed, in a way, these were all women abandoned by their husbands.

advertisement

Advertisement

They are widows, women who have for long been experiencing the pain of losing their breadwinners and the agony attached to widowhood. But in spite of their condition, they are resolute. They still believe that God could do a turnaround in their lives. And they nurse a strong hope in President Goodluck Jonathan, insisting that their lives would become better if Jonathan wins the presidential electionon April 16, 2011.

Recently, the widows gathered in their numbers inside a garden at the Mazamaza area of Lagos. There, they organized a campaign rally for President Jonathan even as they prayed fervently for God to grant the President success in the presidential polls.

Besides praying for Jonathan, the widows also made a passionate appeal to women to cast their votes for Jonathan.

Many people in Mazamaza would not easily forget the day the widows, all registered with a non-governmental organization (NGO), the Jesus Healing Hands Care Global Outreach Incorporated, stormed the streets for a house-to-house campaign for the President

From the organisation’s headquarters at Lawley’s Garden, Old Ojo Road, they moved from street to street with various banners and posters, urging all and sundry to vote for the president.

Speaking on the campaign rally, founder of the organization, Prince Odumegwu Ofokansi, explained that the outing was to express their support for President Jonathan and to deliver the message of hope to Nigerians.

“We know, without a doubt, that if President Jonathan wins the election and is sworn in again as president, he will take care of widows. As a result of his humble background, we believe in him. That is the reason why the widows are supporting him.”

He informed the reporter that the organization was founded seven years ago, asserting that it has since then been at the forefront of catering to the needs of widows.

“We meet every last Sunday of the month,” he said. “And the beauty of this organisation is that it goes beyond tribes. We have widows from every tribe in Nigeria.”

He said though the challenges of supporting about 500 widows are quite enormous, God had been there for them.

“It is by God’s grace that we meet the demands of all of them on the days of our meetings,” he said. “When they come here, we give them foodstuff, money and other necessary items they might need for their day to day activities. It is a pity that since we’ve been clamouring for the wellbeing of widows, nothing has been done to save their situation. Nigerian widows are suffering. They are being neglected and humiliated. That is why we are appealing to President Jonathan to remember them and take up their case. It is in their best interest to vote for a President that will cater for them.”

Mrs. Jemimas Ibraheem, a 65-year-old widow, said the NGO had been her saving grace since she joined it about four years ago. Said she: “When I lost my husband five years ago, I thought my world had ended. The agony and pain to cater for my seven children became a big problem and I lost all hope. But Allah met my needs through this NGO and since then, I’ve been able to start my life anew.”

Mrs. Mosunmola Saliu’s story was quite pathetic. According to her, nobody from her late husband came to her rescue during her trying period. Taking care of her six children became a herculean task, she said. “My story changed the day I joined the group. I thank God for the life of the founder and the co-ordinator.”

Princess Ify Chuka, the coordinator, explained why widows flock to the organization.

“Apart from giving the widows foodstuff, clothing, drugs and other items, we encourage the young ones to acquire knowledge. Some of them are between 50 and 65 and nobody cares for them. But those that are still young, we offer them training in skill acquisition and other human development programmes. Some of them are trained in Tie and Dye, tailoring and other related skills. We train them on how to catch fish, rather than giving them fish everyday. I know what it takes to be a widow. I have once been a widow and I know the kind of hardship they go through. It is sad that no one recognizes their plight. That is the reason we have been crying to God to use President Jonathan to alleviate the suffering of the widows. We are concerned about their problems. We visit them when they are sick. We pray for them every day because we are happy to share in their pains and sorrow, all to the glory of God. That is why they all went out today to campaign for President Jonathan.”
Re: Fashola's Widows Support Jonathan by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 15, 2011
Fashola's widows? wtf! there should be a better way to twist it dude!
Re: Fashola's Widows Support Jonathan by Nchara: 12:50am On Apr 16, 2011
babaearly:

Fashola's widows? wtf! there should be a better way to twist it dude!

What better way? Those are Lagosians and Fashola is the protector of all Lagosians. So they are his widows.

(1) (Reply)

There Should Be A New Census That Reflects Ethnicity / Black Do Not Read : They Are Like Slaves ! / Whiny Biafra Still Fighting To Secure Nass Speakership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.