Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,747 members, 7,955,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:03 PM

Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? (36518 Views)

Victor Moses Donates To Save Wigan From Extinction (Photos) / Solskjaer Warns Liverpool It Will Be Difficult To Dominate Like Ferguson's Utd / The Best Save In The History Of Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Amumaigwe: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Having watched over a 1000 football matches, I've come to notice that headers are almost impossible to save.

I've regularly seen keepers save leg shots from point blank range, but once a striker gets a header on target, 9 times out of 10 it ends in the back of the net, even if it's from some yards out.
So why is it difficult for keepers to save headers? And yes I've checked Google but didn't get satisfactory answers.

Because the head has sharper reflexes than the legs. Goalkeepers are easily beaten by ball actions by sharp reflexes.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Emir01: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2021
Mostly at close range to the keeper
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by NaijaCuzin: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2021
It can come in any direction

And no keeper is expecting it
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by lampvoice: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2021
It is because the goalkeeper can't predict the direction the header intends to direct the ball and in most cases the ball comes unexpectedly..

Unlike the leg which is long and can be directed
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Mcdreamy15: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:
Even women love headers. It guarantees their orgasm goals grin
cheesy oloshi ni bobo yii sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by MrJames007: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2021
Pierocash:
Heading is faster ,sharper and quicker than foot shots.
U dey play ball at all

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Tillatalk: 11:44am On Mar 22, 2021
Abeg ask Ronaldo that guy to sabi
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Cooldiipo(m): 11:44am On Mar 22, 2021
Player is usually closer to the goal post. I sell external battery and powerbank for laptops, phones etc. Ten hours plus guaranteed and twenty four hours of usage very possible! Recommend to your friends.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by AgentXxx(m): 11:44am On Mar 22, 2021
Most times even the header isn't sure of where the ball is going to...
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by organicfoods(m): 11:45am On Mar 22, 2021
inumidun2010:
I never see any Arsenal player Wey sabi head ball pass NICKLASS BENDTNER...
Haaaaaa
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by organicfoods(m): 11:45am On Mar 22, 2021
W
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Pathokpo: 11:45am On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:
may God have mercy on your soul. Child of the world.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by DickBo9Bide: 11:45am On Mar 22, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by zoedew: 11:46am On Mar 22, 2021
The point is you don't see them coming! You get to prepare to confront what is seen approaching!!
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by vickydevoka(m): 11:46am On Mar 22, 2021
Pierocash:
Heading is faster ,sharper and quicker than foot shots.
Is not faster, it's just predictable on direction

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Westerville: 11:47am On Mar 22, 2021
Why head is difficult,no initial body movement,no positioning , when the ball is on the air,no body knows the direction where the ball is on the air,so it makes it difficult for keepers to calculate. Most keepers calculate your body movement.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Korllami007: 11:47am On Mar 22, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
I've actually thought of the same thing myself too. And I think it's because for leg shots there is a compulsory back lift of the leg before striking the ball, and those few nanoseconds is usually enough time for the keeper to anticipate the shot and prepare for the save, while for headers there's no back lift required. The ball basically just bounces off the striker's head so no adequate time to anticipate the shot or get ready for the save. I may not be comprehensive enough though
In addition.
In a set piece, a keeper doesn't know who's going to head the ball to hit the target. It could be any player in the box, including his own teammates.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Neddstark: 11:47am On Mar 22, 2021
Pathokpo:
may God have mercy on your soul. Child of the world.

Amen. We all need God's mercy
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by xxxXXXxxx: 11:48am On Mar 22, 2021
Interesting thread!
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by tellwisdom: 11:49am On Mar 22, 2021
Direction of an headed ball is not predictable.
Reason is because; the header does not even bother looking for direction; he just nods it without eye contact with the goal keeper.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Sleekfingers: 11:49am On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Having watched over a 1000 football matches, I've come to notice that headers are almost impossible to save.

I've regularly seen keepers save leg shots from point blank range, but once a striker gets a header on target, 9 times out of 10 it ends in the back of the net, even if it's from some yards out.
So why is it difficult for keepers to save headers? And yes I've checked Google but didn't get satisfactory answers.

heading no be small thing o....the keeper dont know the direction the ball is heading to.....

Mutiu Adepoju head na like olumo rock.....if the ball hit keeper for chest....na coma the keeper go dey

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Reference(m): 11:50am On Mar 22, 2021
Gravity. Its all about physics.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by FBIBOT(m): 11:50am On Mar 22, 2021
It's like a diversion.. The keeper's eyes are already fixed on the ball in air with initial reducing velocity. The keeper moves to possible position of landing.. Another force (head) propel the moving ball with new velocity (v2) causing it to change direction... Due to close range to the keep, new momentum and slight change in direction... Its technically not possible except for luck or poor anticipation by the header.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Sleekfingers: 11:52am On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:

you go really like HAIRY SNAIL oooooooo

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Twoclans(f): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Tcwork: 11:54am On Mar 22, 2021
I advise you ask the question on quora to get more intentional views
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by seanwilliam(m): 11:55am On Mar 22, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
I've actually thought of the same thing myself too. And I think it's because for leg shots there is a compulsory back lift of the leg before striking the ball, and those few nanoseconds is usually enough time for the keeper to anticipate the shot and prepare for the save, while for headers there's no back lift required. The ball basically just bounces off the striker's head so no adequate time to anticipate the shot or get ready for the save. I may not be comprehensive enough though

This is one of the reasons I no fit leave nairaland .. omo see as you explain accurately with good English .. I wish to be like u

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Blessings4me(m): 11:55am On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:
Wisdom no go kee u

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by ehix89(m): 11:55am On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

with headed goal, a keeper can't judge the direction where the ball is going to be nested. With left or right foot a keeper can preempt the direction before the player strikes the ball. That's my thought as an avid football lover

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Mike008(m): 11:58am On Mar 22, 2021
Because they are closer in range, more difficult for the keeper to predict.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Kosk: 12:00pm On Mar 22, 2021
fergie001:
So the first pix you attached is necessary ba? angry
E still dey restrict your airflow, awon manure fans.

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by thatgirl504(f): 12:00pm On Mar 22, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright.....

See as all of una just dey speak English just to answer simple questions

Na now I see why we dey fail exam....

Simple answer is headed goals and deflection are the same...

If you still dey doubt...then ask tim Cahill or the flying Dutch man....robin vanpersie
You don't always contribute sensible stuff... Always end up talking nonsense and rush to like your senseless comment with your numerous handles here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Barcelona Will Demand £631 Million Release Clause For Lionel Messi / Denmark Vs Finland Game Suspended As Medics Confirm Eriksen Is Stable / Finidi George Resigns As Super Eagles Head Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.