Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,756 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? (36256 Views)

Victor Moses Donates To Save Wigan From Extinction (Photos) / Solskjaer Warns Liverpool It Will Be Difficult To Dominate Like Ferguson's Utd / The Best Save In The History Of Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by ogbiwa: 7:46am On Mar 22, 2021
Good morning people.

Having watched over a 1000 football matches, I've come to notice that headers are almost impossible to save.

I've regularly seen keepers save leg shots from point blank range, but once a striker gets a header on target, 9 times out of 10 it ends in the back of the net, even if it's from some yards out.
So why is it difficult for keepers to save headers? And yes I've checked Google but didn't get satisfactory answers.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Pierocash(m): 7:53am On Mar 22, 2021
Heading is faster ,sharper and quicker than foot shots.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:25am On Mar 22, 2021
The same with bicycle (overhead) kick, penalty kicks, even volleys

Headers are only one time/touch strikes

While with leg most of time u require more touches, control, many calculations are involved. Enough time for keeper to anticipate and react appropriately.

The first example of Lewin and Shaw will surely lead to a goal. Haha op u nor try o grin

20 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by espn(m): 8:38am On Mar 22, 2021
In the case of leg shots, you have to apply pressure on the ball. While in the case of header the ball is coming with a force already and you are also applying another force by heading it. It is always super fast.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Theboy21: 10:10am On Mar 22, 2021
Funny but true, heading a ball doesn't guarantee where the direction of the ball is going to which makes it hard for the keeper to determine the main direction cheesy cheesy

164 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 22, 2021
Because it is mostly on last man standing occasions

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by simhosting: 11:37am On Mar 22, 2021
Because head carries the brain. QED

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Nbotee(m): 11:37am On Mar 22, 2021
It is easier for goalkeepers to save shots becos they can always see it coming most of the times as their eyes are on the player and the ball but headers are more difficult becos the keeper doesn't know who's going to end up heading the ball. When a cross comes in, so many players make an attempt at the ball to try and head it at the same time. At that point the keeper on has his eyes on the ball and not the players and whoever gets to the ball first decides where the ball ends

118 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by slawormiir: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright.....

See as all of una just dey speak English just to answer simple questions

Na now I see why we dey fail exam....

Simple answer is headed goals and deflection are the same...

If you still dey doubt...then ask tim Cahill or the flying Dutch man....robin vanpersie

110 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Ihatemumu: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2021
Headed goals most times is as a result of a change in direction of the ball from a cross, this will require a goalkeeper with good reflexes

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Neddstark: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2021
Even women love headers. It guarantees their orgasm goals grin

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by BanevsJoker(m): 11:38am On Mar 22, 2021
Pierocash:
Heading is faster ,sharper and quicker than foot shots.
And relatively closer to the keeper, meaning a much shorter time for the keeper to react.

16 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by fergie001: 11:39am On Mar 22, 2021
So the first pix you attached is necessary ba? angry

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by sammysmiles(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2021
The Space of making a header is within a very short period of time...
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Patrioticman007(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2021
CR7 the head boy, shows you can't touch the ball twice during heading, just like a sniper shot.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Uyi168: 11:39am On Mar 22, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
I've actually thought of the same thing myself too. And I think it's because for leg shots there is a compulsory back lift of the leg before striking the ball, and those few nanoseconds is usually enough time for the keeper to anticipate the shot and prepare for the save, while for headers there's no back lift required. The ball basically just bounces off the striker's head so no adequate time to anticipate the shot or get ready for the save. I may not be comprehensive enough though
Ur explanation make sense..

And most headers come very close to the gk.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by affable4(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
I've actually thought of the same thing myself too. And I think it's because for leg shots there is a compulsory back lift of the leg before striking the ball, and those few nanoseconds is usually enough time for the keeper to anticipate the shot and prepare for the save, while for headers there's no back lift required. The ball basically just bounces off the striker's head so no adequate time to anticipate the shot or get ready for the save. I may not be comprehensive enough though

You are actually
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by inumidun2010(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
I never see any Arsenal player Wey sabi head ball pass NICKLASS BENDTNER...

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by A305: 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
I have also thought about it until I figured the answer in physics.

2 reasons:

1 - The law of inertial: whatever that is set in motion, stays in motion except the force of acceleration is applied to it to give the object more momentum.

When the ball is already in motion from the cross, it's in motion already and so nodding it gives it more acceleration to a new direction of a low/higher trajectory.

Even the best of all keepers can NEVER be in two places at a time because that's the only way to figure out the direction and catch the ball (but what about the new momentum), Still not possible even if two keepers are in that post.

This is why John Terry is still well respected for nodding out that ball against Barca.

2 - Speed calculation: A keeper always calculate/estimate the intensity of speed a ball travels for him to decide to either catch or punch the ball away. This is why many keepers are good at catching and parrying straight shots aimed at the post. But when you nod a ball, the keeper lacks the capacity to calculate the speed of how it started and to what direction it's headed.

This is also the reason wingers attackers like Messi, Ronaldo, Sallah etc scores some thrilling goals with shot from the wing side. The keeper often lacks the ability to calculate because the ball creates a curved motion instead of straight line.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by femlex(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Because of the closeness to the goalkeepers.

Before keepers react, it is usually too late. Most saves in this regard are mostly when the ball hits the keeper or the ball is far enough for him to react.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by GreaterFuture(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Speed. That's it, speed speed speed.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by INTEGRITYA1(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Because the directions through which the headed ball is going can not be easily detect by goalkeepers.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Fictitious

Headers are weaker than shots but the direction is harder to predict and it's not always expected so the keeper likely doesn't see it coming

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by texazzpete(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Headers are usually done pretty close to the keepers

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Rexnegro(m): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2021
I think it's because it's directed to a difficult angle where goalkeepers can't reach for
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by olaolulazio(m): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2021
I think it's cus it's easy to twist.

Head strong pass leg o
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by BabaIbo: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2021
Sudden/sharp change in direction and fast nature of the ball make it difficult for the keeper to save because he has already made calculation using the initial direction of the ball.

P.S: Most times the keeper is not aware of the header's position before he heads the ball.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by CopartNigeria02: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2021
I think it's because it is harder to anticipate where the heading will direct the ball. A heading for a keeper is like trying to catch a shot that was deflected, he can't anticipate quickly enough whether it will be left side or right side or up or down or lower corner etc. And everything happens in the blink of an eye. Keepers hardly catch deflected shots, unless very lucky, same way with headers

Copart Nigeria is your #1 source for purchasing used cars at wholesale prices. Get Dealer-Level Access To Used Car Auctions Directly From Auction Houses in USA and Canada. Massive selection. Open to the public.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by addexx: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2021
Headers are very rapid and confusing..

The swiftly projected ball gets the goalie calculating who will head and from what angle.
Then he has to predict what direction of the post the headed ball might divert to which is the most difficult part since the ball's velocity is high and at a very close range.
Then he has to dive in accordance with his conclusion.
All these can happen in less than 2 seconds.
So most times they are either inaccurate or too late.

I think all goalies should be made to study some
practical elementary physics in vectors, kinetics and projectiles. it will help them greatly.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Utd Offered Two Juventus Players Plus Cash For Lukaku Transfer (sun) / Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs / Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.