Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN (1727 Views)

Doyin Okupe: Nigeria Can't Afford Brand New Trains; It Is Not America (2015) / Osita Chidoka Blasts IPOB Over Sit-At-Home, 'No Election' In Anambra / #TwitterBan: Wole Soyinka Blasts IPOB, ESN, Calls Them Soulmates Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:30am On Mar 25, 2021
In 1953 when Northern Nigerians were beginning to consider secession from the Nigerian colony that would soon be a nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe gave a speech before the caucus of his political party, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) in Yaba, Nigeria on May 12, 1953. That speech, while not disallowing secession, suggested that there would be grave consequences if the Northern region became an independent nation. Ironically, fourteen years later, Azikiwe led his Eastern Region out of Nigeria and created Biafra, a move that prompted a bloody three year civil war. Azikiwe’s 1953 speech appears below.
I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!

https://www.blackpast.org/global-african-history/1953-nnamdi-azikiwe-speech-secession/

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Mokason288(m): 7:37am On Mar 25, 2021
Marriage is not by force

This speech was given in 1953
It doesn’t hold any water , except you want to say Azikiwe has risen from the dead

Even Gowon who fought for Nigeria to remain one is regretting his fooooooolish decision

I wonder why Arewa is afraid of staying on their own

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:41am On Mar 25, 2021
Mokason288:
Marriage is not by force

Title says Nnamdi Azikiwe.. Abi Azikiwe na from Arrewa? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:42am On Mar 25, 2021
Mokason288:
Marriage is not by force

It shouldn’t hold any water with what is going on today we are in 2021

Even Gowon who fought for Nigeria to remain one is regretting his fooooooolish decision

1953 was your turn. Now na our turn.. grin.. Do me I do you cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:44am On Mar 25, 2021
cheesy

God bless the OP.

SocialCritic:

grin

Watch as they won't blame their miserable leaders and push the blames on another tribe or person.

Just watch grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:44am On Mar 25, 2021

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:49am On Mar 25, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:
cheesy

God bless the OP.

Watch as they won't blame their miserable leaders and push the blames on another tribe or person.

Just watch grin

No mind them... grin
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by BigSarah(f): 7:54am On Mar 25, 2021
Back from the dead is he?

Seun mynd44 misleading title

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 7:57am On Mar 25, 2021
BigSarah:

You do Literature for school? undecided
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Kapeter(m): 8:00am On Mar 25, 2021
The m.o.ro.n thought he was gonna be able to use the north to continue using his ibo brethrens to rule over nigeria by proxy. Man no knw say jungle dey mature. Saw he's lost it and plan failed then planned coup with his folks just to make sure they return to ruling way. Such a useless greedy bastard. The most useless of the black race.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Kapeter(m): 8:02am On Mar 25, 2021
BigSarah:

And what's misleading here. Did azukuwe stand not go against Ipods?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by SocialCritic: 8:07am On Mar 25, 2021
Kapeter:

No mind the girl.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by tungamaje: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2021
The era of Azikiwe and co is gone. It's left for the new generation to decide.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2021
Except the content of the post is far different from the heading

I didn't see were he sent army, police, vcivil defence, air force and navy to kill un armed northerners, I didn't see were he ordered shoot at sight to any northerner canvassing for arewa or holding the flag, I didn't see his speech on NIGERIA CAN'T DIVIDE BECAUSE NATURE FORMED IT....I only saw a STUPUD Igbo man who was born and raised in the north....who never stepped feet in the east stupidly looking out for the north as usual....thinking north first

Same thing GEJ did

What you think NNAMDI Azikiwe was loved so much in the east? It doesn't matter how great books or other people think you're an Igbo access you before rating you... Azikiwe is not that a great man to us in Igbo land because he was busy doing I was born and raised in north, same happened to Kaduna nzeokwu

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by hollah123: 8:13am On Mar 25, 2021
Mokason288:
Marriage is not by force

It shouldn’t hold any water with what is going on today we are in 2021

it's shouldn't hold water but Ahmadu Bello speech can hold water?
but aburi accord can hold water?
when d narrative is right u feel it's good but if it's against u it shouldn't hold water

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by selemempe: 8:14am On Mar 25, 2021
You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.
I like what Zik said here. The north think the east will ever bend over to be fvcked. Their only saving grace is the continued support they receive from the yorubas and UK
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Omoluabi1stborn: 8:17am On Mar 25, 2021
BigSarah:

Receiving quality education in south west is the best gift everyone should offer his or her children grin
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Omoluabi1stborn: 8:23am On Mar 25, 2021
hollah123:
it's shouldn't hold water but Ahmadu Bello speech can hold water?
but aburi accord can hold water?
when d narrative is right u feel it's good but if it's against u it shouldn't hold water

Igbo's are wise when its not affecting them grin
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by criuze(m): 9:11am On Mar 25, 2021
Its now overstressed Nigeria is inevitably gine up the flames
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by uBuNiT: 9:17am On Mar 25, 2021
Kapeter:
The m.o.ro.n thought he was gonna be able to use the north to continue using his ibo brethrens to rule over nigeria by proxy. Man no knw say jungle dey mature. Saw he's lost it and plan failed then planned coup with his folks just to make sure they return to ruling way. Such a useless greedy bastard. The most useless of the black race.

I dey laff
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 25, 2021
Is Azikiwe back to life...

Nnamdi Azikiwe is not an Igbo man, we keep saying this but it seems you guys doesn't want to listen.

His Paternity is still in doubt.....Some say he is a Bini man, some say he is Ijaw, some say he was Itshekiri and some say his mother has some kind of friendship with then portuguese traders....and he was a product of such international affair.

So until we unravel his true paternity , you guys should stop calling him an Igbo man..

If it means exhuming his bones or using the sand where he was buried and conducting DNA test, we are going to do so
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by waldigit: 9:32am On Mar 25, 2021
selemempe:
I like what Zik said here. The north think the east will ever bend over to be fvcked. Their only saving grace is the continued support they receive from the yorubas and UK
Now they don't have those support again. Unite speak with one voice and do the needful.
We at the West would hold Western axis. Stop unnecessary attention to these nuisance from shara desert.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by CSTRR: 9:51am On Mar 25, 2021
SocialCritic:

Title says Nnamdi Azikiwe.. Abi Azikiwe na from Arrewa? grin
Azikiwe is not God.
Surely he can make mistake.

He is Just a man like you.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:27am On Mar 25, 2021
SocialCritic:

No mind the girl.
So ipob has been created during the time of Nnamdi Azikiwe??
Or he blasted them from the land of the dead??

Wonderful
I never knew this until now.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:29am On Mar 25, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

Receiving quality education in south west is the best gift everyone should offer his or her children grin
in your tiny brain..

You're well educated??
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:31am On Mar 25, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:

So ipob has been created during the time of Nnamdi Azikiwe??
Or he blasted them from the land of the dead??

Wonderful
I never knew this until now.

This is why I say
Omoluabi1stborn:

U guys sha

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:33am On Mar 25, 2021
Kapeter:
which ipob are you talking about??

The one formed during the era of Nnamdi Azikiwe or another one??
So you're trying to tell me that ipob has been formed during the time of Nnamdi Azikiwe or he blasted them from the land of the dead..

You guys hatred for ipob will be your doom.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:34am On Mar 25, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

This is why I say

U guys sha

Oga! Clarify me and stop beating around the bush like a snake trying to shy away from light
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Kapeter(m): 10:35am On Mar 25, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:
which ipob are you talking about??

The one formed during the era of Nnamdi Azikiwe or another one??
So you're trying to tell me that ipob has been formed during the time of Nnamdi Azikiwe or he blasted them from the land of the dead..

You guys hatred for ipob will be your doom.
Pea brain.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:38am On Mar 25, 2021
Kapeter:
Pea brain.
please shed more light on your claim and stop the name calling...

We learn everyday..,
Me too, I learn everyday despite my old age.
Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by Omoluabi1stborn: 10:41am On Mar 25, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:

Oga! Clarify me and stop beating around the bush like a snake trying to shy away from light

Okay, the OP is using Azikiwe stand on secession to counter Igbos.
Azikiwe was clearly against it and fought against it.

But later on, he was part of those that clamour for it behind the camera

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can't Divide Because Nature Formed It - Nnamdi Azikiwe Blasts IPOB, ESN by donyfrank: 10:49am On Mar 25, 2021
And it will divide because the SUPERNATURAL didn't support it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Finnsh Based Simon Ekpa Takes Over From Nnamdi Kanu At Radio Biafra / Gov Hope Uzodinma Lifts Road Transportation In Imo / “I Visited Tinubu, Not That Support His Presidential Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.