Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,544 members, 7,823,385 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! (11573 Views)

Is This A Career Red Flag? / Beware Of This So Called Company, They Are Kidnappers / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2021
You better run for dear life!
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by tunwumi: 9:55am On Apr 17, 2021
ikaboy:

With unknown number?

Yes. Just ensure some else knows where you are going. Give the the impression in a reply that a friend of yours brought you to the location and he he will be coming back to collect you.

They gave you a number to call when you get there and you are to be interviewed in the lounge not a room.

So why not make the visit. In fact you can go to the hotel prior that time and explain to a manager your fear. So they can also look after your safety.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by onomeabuja: 9:58am On Apr 17, 2021
Femich18:
Just getting to the front page after 2 weeks plus?
Anyway the advice is not needed again. I'm sure the guy would have followed his mind.

BTW, if it's me I'll run as fast as I can. The email ain't even official enough.
Good luck to him
did i hear u say front page oga u miss road grin
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by nnanyereugo(m): 9:59am On Apr 17, 2021
tunwumi:
Seems genuine. Airport hotel sound safe. You could have visited the place and see what they have to offer. A lot of organizations will hide their details for so many reasons.

The venue is not the problem, but the time of the interview and which company will make it obvious to you in an official letter that you should feel free to ask for a drink but not alcohol, does it sound like the company is legit? If they offer drinks during interview, they won't state it there for you but do it that day as a way of showing their class to you.

My guy reason that letter well
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by tunwumi: 10:00am On Apr 17, 2021
nnanyereugo:

The venue is not the problem, but the time of the interview and which company will make it obvious to you in an official letter that you should feel free to ask for a drink but not alcohol, does it sound like the company is legit? If they offer drinks during interview, they won't state it there for you but do it that day as a way of showing their class to you.

My guy reason that letter well

Not all interview are formal setting. Infact your table manners might be the examination they are giving you.

Mind you he didn't state the position he applied for. If I'm to employ someone as PA, what kind of interview do think I will subject the applicant to?
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by officialmario(m): 10:06am On Apr 17, 2021
It is advisable you stop picking their calls, God will make a new way, evil attack will not be our portion in jesus name.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Rolexjerry(m): 10:08am On Apr 17, 2021
smiley
YourBestWriter:
So I applied for a job online, and then after a few days I received a mail that I have been scheduled for a phone conversation. Soon after that, I received a phone call from a private number. The guy spoke fluent English like he's from the U.K. Although, the conversation went well. However, he said he was going to get back to me.

Weeks passed and I received a phone call from a private number. It was the guy telling me he was going to send me an email invitation for an interview. I saw the email, and I pasted the content below. Please analyse this email very well. I think these guys are ritualists. All these while, I don't even know the name of the company. The entire conversation has been hidden with a private number. what are they hiding?

Details

Dear xxxxxx

We loved interacting with you and as per our phone call this afternoon am happy to inform you that I’ve scheduled an interview for you for Friday the 26th of March 2021 at 4:30pm. It would be in the lounge of Airport Hotel, Obafemi Awoliwo Way, Ikeja. When you get there please give Nxx a call on 0xxxxxxxxx. He will be interviewing you on the day. Feel free to ask Nxx for a drink any time during this interview but note we won’t be offering you alcohol. 

If you have any questions regarding the interview or any other update regarding this interview please don’t hesitate to email me back. I wish you the best of luck!

I'd advice you to give it a try.
Risk-taking is an important step towards success.
You see in this life, everything is a risk.
Infact being a Nigerian by itself is a risk.
Besides, their written English is too clean for ritualists smiley
YourBestWriter:
So I applied for a job online, and then after a few days I received a mail that I have been scheduled for a phone conversation. Soon after that, I received a phone call from a private number. The guy spoke fluent English like he's from the U.K. Although, the conversation went well. However, he said he was going to get back to me.

Weeks passed and I received a phone call from a private number. It was the guy telling me he was going to send me an email invitation for an interview. I saw the email, and I pasted the content below. Please analyse this email very well. I think these guys are ritualists. All these while, I don't even know the name of the company. The entire conversation has been hidden with a private number. what are they hiding?

Details

Dear xxxxxx

We loved interacting with you and as per our phone call this afternoon am happy to inform you that I’ve scheduled an interview for you for Friday the 26th of March 2021 at 4:30pm. It would be in the lounge of Airport Hotel, Obafemi Awoliwo Way, Ikeja. When you get there please give Nxx a call on 0xxxxxxxxx. He will be interviewing you on the day. Feel free to ask Nxx for a drink any time during this interview but note we won’t be offering you alcohol. 

If you have any questions regarding the interview or any other update regarding this interview please don’t hesitate to email me back. I wish you the best of luck!

Besides, their written English is too clean for ritualists
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by wonlasewonimi: 10:13am On Apr 17, 2021
How would they bundle you out of airport Hotel lounge without anyone seeing them?
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by samwash(m): 10:13am On Apr 17, 2021
The pple pulling this stunt is also reading comment there on Nairaland. My pple you all can see this format, " A word is enough for the wise" I pray other pple wouldn't fall for this kind of scam ooo
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by CheedyJ(m): 10:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Rolexjerry:
smiley
Besides, their written English is too clean for ritualists smiley
Besides, their written English is too clean for ritualists
Calculated risk is okay but this one is complete & emphatic NO...hope you’re not the interviewer

2 Likes

Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by panpan(m): 10:15am On Apr 17, 2021
It may be a network marketing or commission based job.
Some network marketers use these kind of tactics to get down-lines.

By the way, if that date is correct, it is unusual to schedule a formal job interview at 4:30 pm on a Friday.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by cornelin(m): 10:16am On Apr 17, 2021
Seniorwriter:
YES!!! Even online employers will conduct themselves better.
Red Flags
No company name or specific and established contact us address....

I wonder....@how someone will still think it's safe to still go? What kind of organization does that?
unless you just posted a half info of what the whole scenario was/Is.
As an Online Earnings advocate ill suggest you go for some knowledge or activities online that will see to you earning online like others that do $30 - $300 daily legal earnings from their various online activities!
This goes to all young people that can access the internet via their android phone, tablets or PCs if you ain't using it to earn online then it's your own undoing!!!

Proactivity Leads To Productivity !
@Seniorwriter

Morning sir .
Please, I would like to be under your mentorship
WhatsApp
cornelinfo@gmail.com

Thank you
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Seniorwriter(m): 10:18am On Apr 17, 2021
cornelin:

Morning sir .
Please, I would like to be under your mentorship
WhatsApp 0. 81 354. 67 62 2
cornelinfo@gmail.com

Thank you

I'm on facebook...go to my profile here and reach me via my fb ID there in.

@Seniorwriter
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Ceeogbaru2: 10:21am On Apr 17, 2021
My co-Efficient administrator # world wide. You have said it all

,I can boldly tell you that this invitation is not formal.
My dear don't attend to their calls again and don't even go to the place they invited you to in order to prevent a sad story......[/quote].
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 17, 2021
Carry pampers for your bag, incase your asshole begin leak grin grin..
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by ikaboy: 10:25am On Apr 17, 2021
lol.... wereh smiley smiley

1000trillion:
Rare picture of Op after taking the drink
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by cayorday89(m): 10:30am On Apr 17, 2021
Go but with your own drink and one other person, probably in the morning since interview is slated for 4:30pm for observation of the environment and try to take snapshots of the place and even act like a guest wanting to lodge in the hotel and ask questions..
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Lewisdinho(m): 10:30am On Apr 17, 2021
Op it's a very big red flag. If it's me i'll set them up by Informing the police prior to the interview date should in case of anything. Just show the police/Army the email, arrange with them and go for the interview. The security people will know how to disguise themselves while going with you. If its genuine good for you, but if its the other way round then that will be their end. Good luck
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Ojayk(m): 10:31am On Apr 17, 2021
YourBestWriter:

Details

Dear xxxxxx

Hahahahaha,

Job seekers don hear am for Naija

Government should create a working system(public institutions and infrastructures), where job seekers can thrive in anything they do for survival, since FG can't print money to employ them, but can print money for political related activities.

They are already loving you via voice calls, this kind of love kills oh.

Please stay away from them and blacklist the contact number sent to you. They are scammers
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by ConnectMee: 11:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Sometime in 2011, I applied online for a job. That same evening, I received a call from a man who speaks good English and asked me a few questions about the role I applied for. A few hours later another man with a distinct British accent called to schedule an interview appointment with me at the Federal Palace Hotel, Ikoyi. The day of the interview happens to be a Saturday and I was there. That interview was the turning point in my career as I got the job with one of the biggest digital media companies in Nigeria. Another time in 2019, I got was poached for a job and the venue of the hotel was at Southern Sun, Ikoyi. I also got the job and the salary was almost half a million monthly.

So bruv, don't let scepticism and fear robbed you of what God has in stock for you. If you are so afraid to go, ask a friend to accompany you to the venue. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by manny4u(m): 11:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Drug dealers. Here is what will happen if you go for that interview: they would propose you smuggle drugs abroad , and that you will be protected and at the same time make a lot of money doing that.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Kalaba(m): 1:05pm On Apr 17, 2021
YourBestWriter:

Details

Dear xxxxxx

First confirm if mercury hotel exists, location and how safe it is.
I think the job is very real.
I had similar experience with the job am currently on, had zoom interview at an odd hour of 6:30am, name of company not disclosed, had a 2nd zoom interview at an odd hour of 6:00 am, had face to face interaction and appointment letter at sheraton hotel, Ikeja. That was when I knew company's name and what they do, only went to there physical location to get my work tools (laptop, phone and mifi), so bro give it a try.

My experience tho...
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Darey00(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2021
RUN OO
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Rolexjerry(m): 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2021
CheedyJ:

Calculated risk is okay but this one is complete & emphatic NO...hope you’re not the interviewer
I am smiley
CheedyJ:

I am
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by dewiseacre(m): 3:05pm On Apr 17, 2021
So I'm a certified Recruitment Consultant.

First off, the venue of the interview is a public place and several 'official' meetings hold at the lounge. When all you know is Nigeria you'd always associate hotels to prostitution grin cheesy

Secondly, they didn't say they'll be forcing you take their drink (most people responding here only understand Nigerian English, not proper English grin). Read it again. It's just saying out of sheer courtesy that you could take a nonalcoholic drink on them while at the lounge!. It could be a test of your table manners, but I doubt it is.

Thirdly, a number was included in the SMS sent to you - that at least is one evidence to track in case of any hanky panky! You could also just check out the number on Truecaller to see if the name sent corresponds with the number.

Lastly, an astute job seeker can easily track where he/she sends an application. So if someone calls you out of the blue and you're certain you didn't send an application to them, then ask questions ---- Thanks for considering my candidature for this role. I am not sure I sent in a direct application, do you mind letting me know how you got my contact details? By the way, I always want to read up about the organization I'm being interviewed for, what's your website please?

If you're still fearful after reading this, then you can ask your daddy and mummy to follow you smiley
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by KillerBeauty(f): 4:45pm On Apr 17, 2021
YourBestWriter:

Details

Dear xxxxxx

I had a similar experience like this op.
I saw the job ad in jobberman. I clicked apply and they gave a form to fill. They requested a cover letter video. I made the video, uploaded in Dropbox and added the link to the form and submitted.
Some weeks later, I got a text inviting me for an interview in a hotel in Ikeja. I was skeptical at first, even asked for advice her on nairaland. Most people told me not to go but somebody said, just go but be careful
I went to the hotel, it was a big hotel. I went to the reception and said I was there for an interview. They took me to a conference room where I met the other candidates.
Turned out it was an NGO sponsored by UNICEF.
They gave us 3 square meals and 3k transport fare daily. The interview lasted 3days cos it was more of a mini training.

So op, my advice is go but be very careful.
Shalom.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Bakrabas: 4:59pm On Apr 17, 2021
They even named the op Dear xxxxxxx
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by IkeGod221(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17, 2021
Seniorwriter:
YES!!! Even online employers will conduct themselves better.
Red Flags
No company name or specific and established contact us address....

I wonder....@how someone will still think it's safe to still go? What kind of organization does that?
unless you just posted a half info of what the whole scenario was/Is.
As an Online Earnings advocate ill suggest you go for some knowledge or activities online that will see to you earning online like others that do $30 - $300 daily legal earnings from their various online activities!
This goes to all young people that can access the internet via their android phone, tablets or PCs if you ain't using it to earn online then it's your own undoing!!!

Proactivity Leads To Productivity !
@Seniorwriter

Boss I need your help
I need to know how I can earn the abovementioned.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by Seniorwriter(m): 7:10pm On Apr 17, 2021
IkeGod221:

Boss I need your help
I need to know how I can earn the abovementioned.

Kindly reach me on facebook my ID is on my profile here.
Re: Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! by deltateam: 1:47am On Apr 18, 2021
Angelacruz:
A very big red flag...run and don't look back

Not before informing police

They are probably ritualists harvesting naija blokkus for China chin xing yang delicacy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? / Are There Still Jobs In Nigeria? / Powell Global Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.