Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,723 members, 7,827,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women (3669 Views)

Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Is Our Only Country, Let's Unite For Peaceful Coexistence / Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Doesn’t Run World Most Expensive Legislature / Gbajabiamila: Nigeria’s Tertiary Institutions Lack Capacity To Solve Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Paschal2806: 8:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
Press Statement from the Office of the Speaker, House of Representatives
March 25, 2021

Nigeria can't be left behind in protecting women - Gbajabiamila

...says House'll reintroduce Equal Opportunity Bill

Nigeria could not afford to be left behind in the global trend to protect and defend the rights of women, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila, has said.

The Speaker stated that on the part of the 9th House, it had already made the protection of women and promoting gender-based issues, an important item on its Legislative Agenda.

He spoke at the National Assembly when he received a delegation from a development partner, OXFAM International, on a courtesy visit to his office in Abuja on Thursday.

Gbajabiamila assured the team that the House would do everything within its limits to protect and defend the rights of women, though he clarified that the ultimate goal would be to achieve gender equality by addressing the interests of both women and men.

"We can't be left behind in the 21st Century where the world is a global place. We can't be left behind as a country in terms of how women are protected", Gbajabiamila stated.

However, in pursuing gender issues, the Speaker stressed that the Legislature, in collaboration with other stakeholders, must interrogate why attempts to promote matters affecting women often faced hiccups.

He noted that some of the factors could be "sentiments" and interests of various dimensions, which needed to be tackled so that gender-based issues could have a smooth sail in Parliament.

Speaking specifically on the Gender Equal Opportunity Bill, which had failed passage several times at the National Assembly, Gbajabiamila promised that the House would reintroduce it, while at the same time partnering with stakeholders to attend to the factors working against the bill.

The Speaker said, "That bill has been with the National Assembly for six to seven years, I guess. It failed a couple of times. When a bill fails like that, clearly there must be a reason. It is that reason that we need to interrogate. If you keep presenting a bill over and over again, thinking okay, we will wear these people down, the reasons why it failed remain.

"What we need to do is to interrogate the issues, the sentiments. Why did the bill fail? When we find out, there are two ways to approach it: either you share education by sensitising/lobbying people who may be against the bill for that reason, or to recouch the bill and achieve the same result."

Gbajabiamila added, "It is our desire in the House to push the bill through, but we need to work hard and find out why the bill has had challenges. It's a good bill that we need to look at and push through."

The Country Director of OXFAM in Nigeria, Mr Constant Tchona, while speaking earlier, informed Gbajabiamila how since the 1960s, the organisation had been supporting the three tiers of government to become "more agile and responsive to issues of social protection, human rights, people-oriented policy making and implementation."

Tchona, who praised the Speaker for his gender and social development initiatives, seized the opportunity of the visit to canvass the passage of the Gender Equal Opportunity Bill by the Legislature.

He said this would "go a long way to redefine inclusive social and economic development in Nigeria."

The organisation embraced most of the social development initiatives of the Speaker, offering to partner with the Speaker's Office to execute and bring them to fruition.

Signed:
Lanre Lasisi, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Speaker, House of Representatives, Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by WolandPetrov: 8:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
People, if you really need to find a good table where they write information about the results of sports competitions, then I would recommend you to try to draw your attention here https://azscore.com, I am sure that you will definitely be satisfied.
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by JaneYave(f): 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2021
A right step in the right direction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
Gbajabiamila assured the team that the House would do everything within its limits to protect and defend the rights of women, though he clarified that the ultimate goal would be to achieve gender equality by addressing the interests of both women and men.

"We can't be left behind in the 21st Century where the world is a global place. We can't be left behind as a country in terms of how women are protected", Gbajabiamila stated.

Most of the progressive laws in Nigeria are made by Westerners. Women rights should be a priority, God bless Nigeria Women

1 Like

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Anigreat: 8:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
shocked

Our women deserve the best, they also deserve equal opportunity. I am talking about the sensible and humble ones not some retards that are parading in this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by slawormiir: 9:12pm On Mar 25, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr.
Way that baby girl always screaming the future is female
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by MarvellousG(f): 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2021
Women the home and nation builder,their deserve every right
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by emmabest2000(m): 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2021
Some people will call him woman wrapper cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by BigDawsNet: 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
[right][/right] cheesy
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Swinger60(f): 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
In a patriarchal society like Nigeria..., that bill will take miracle to happen.

I am seeing some posts already calling him a simp for asking that humans(women) to be protected.

Don't we deserve to be protected?

protected from throwing us out of our late husband's house?

protected from being sexually harassed?

protected from killing our dreams by marrying us out to men old enough to be our grandfather?

protected from domestic violence?

shouldn't we be encouraged to occupy vital political in this country? eg, making it mandatory that a woman occupys the position of vice president.

infact, women deserves to be protected from a whole lot of more that I don't have strength to type.

is it too much to ask for a bill to protect the women?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by victorix(m): 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
Very soon, your wife will be able to send you out of your house and you won't be able to do anything. If you try to do the same, you will be arrested.

9 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by bouncin04(m): 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
victorix:
Very soon, your wife will be able to send you out of your house and you won't be able to do anything. If you try to do the same, you will be arrested.

Them never start to dey protect them , dem don begin misbehave , well sha na dem woman wrapper I dey pity . grin

4 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by stanliwise(m): 9:16pm On Mar 25, 2021
Over to redpill
And one guy that always repeat one phrase like all his life depends on it. Let’s hear what they have to say

1 Like

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by cococandy(f): 9:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
You’re already behind. Need to catch up.
The typical Nigerian (male and female) are women haters. Decades of cultural, religious and imperial misogyny woven into the fabric of your society and we refuse to let go. Nigeria is already behind

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by BigDawsNet: 9:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by DEMZEE(m): 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2021
Thank God we have the north and Islam

Feminism and gynocentrism cannot survive in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by ChiefSosa(m): 9:34pm On Mar 25, 2021
OYA, WOMEN COME OUTSIDE O, EGBON GBAJABIAMILA SAID YOU PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING THAT YOU NEED PROTECTION. UNA SEE NPF, SSS, DSS, NIA, NSCDC, DIA, EFCC, NCS, etc UNA NO CALL DEM O. NO WAHALA!
OYA, COME AND TELL US WHAT YOU WANT US TO PROTECT YOU FROM, SINCE WE MEN DON'T NEED PROTECTION OR HAVE OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO WITH OUR TIME/LIVES.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by DEMZEE(m): 9:34pm On Mar 25, 2021
cococandy:
You’re already behind. Need to catch up.
The typical Nigerian (male and female) are women haters. Decades of cultural, religious and imperial misogyny woven into the fabric of your society and we refuse to let go. Nigeria is already behind

So Nigeria should b like the western societies where women are sluts and men are second class citizens ryt??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Drsnives(m): 9:35pm On Mar 25, 2021
Rubber stamp rep

Nawaooooo
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by DEMZEE(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2021
Swinger60:
In a patriarchal society like Nigeria..., that bill will take miracle to happen.

I am seeing some posts already calling him a simp for asking that humans(women) to be protected.

protected from killing our dreams by marrying us out to men old enough to be our grandfather?

shouldn't we be encouraged to occupy vital political in this country? eg, making it mandatory that a woman occupys the position of vice president.

I thought women were not the weaker sexes nahh

Women are not built for leadership and big business especially young women.

We even need strict traditional gender roles

Gynocentrism can't survive in Nigeria as long as we have the north and Islam

Patriarchy is a balanced system than feminism

4 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by SKhanmi: 9:37pm On Mar 25, 2021
Words & more words. Everybody knows they won't do shit. Rubberstamp house
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Starzo: 9:38pm On Mar 25, 2021
try and catch up with providing at least 20hrs electricity first

4 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by SmartyPants(m): 9:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Swinger60:

infact, women deserves to be protected from a whole lot of more that I don't have strength to type.

Aren't there lawqs that address al these already? What more is the new bill proposing? Can you shed some light?
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by ChiefSosa(m): 9:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
IF WE NOW START PROTECTING WOMEN, WHO DO YOU EXPECT TO PROTECT US?? ABI UNA FEEL SAY MEN NO NEED PROTECTION? SEE ENH, COUNTRY DON RED O, EVERYBODY GATS CARRY HIM OWN CROSS O. NA SO ONE GIRL GO SLAP CLUB BOUNCER, NA THE BOYFRIEND COME COLLECT BEATING BECAUSE DEM TALK SAY MAN NO SUPPOSE BEAT WOMAN, THE BOUNCER BEAT THE BOYFRIEND SO TEY THE GUY DEY FEAR ENTER ANY CLUB BECAUSE THE BEATING TRAUMATIZE THE GUY....IT'S EVERY MAN (OR WOMAN) FOR HIM/HERSELF O, AFTER I DON PROTECT MY SEF FINISH, IF SMALL STRENGTH STILL DEY, I GO SEE IF I FIT PROTECT YOU.....REMEMBER I SAID "IF" O...
FEMINISTS SHOULD NOT EVEN DISTURB ME OR ELSE I'LL FART LOUDLY ON THEIR BARE CHEST THAT THEY WILL HAVE HEART/LUNGS PROBLEM THAT WOULD RESULT TO UNTIMELY DEATH. oya goodnight

2 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Swinger60(f): 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2021
DEMZEE:

I thought women were not the weaker sexes nahh

Women are not built for leadership and big business especially young women.

We even need strict traditional gender roles

Gynocentrism can't survive in Nigeria as long as we have the north and Islam

Patriarchy is a balanced system than feminism
Lol at your last sentence.

well, I think patriachy gave rise to feminism.

Kill patriachy, give equal rights, and watch feminism die natural death.

women are not built for leadership you said?

yet, we have women of more advanced countries making it to Forbes list? we still have women as president of some other countries too.
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
Tell that to the northerners, espcecially some of there men who still feel northern woman are still slaves!
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by Swinger60(f): 9:50pm On Mar 25, 2021
SmartyPants:

Aren't there lawqs that address al these already? What more is the new bill proposing? Can you shed some light?
The bill is proposing a stricter punishment to whoever that breaks that law.

it's proposing the law to be taken serious. and offenders be punished harshly. (which you and I knows it's not happening anytime soon in this country)
Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by GIdiata(m): 10:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
Swinger60:

you didn't add
protected from Facing the wrath of the law when they stab
protected and given medal for harassing men
protected and given equal Rights. anyways, Equal right u shall get.
100% supported.

Equal right demand u contest for a political position. no one if giving you ma'am.
you want it, join a party and contest

2 Likes

Re: Femi Gbajabiamila: Nigeria Can't Be Left Behind In Protecting Women by johncallidon(m): 10:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
I have nothing to say.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Richest Churches In The World: / Who Noticed This About Fulani Herdsmen / Jonathan, Nwodo And Governors Celebrate Nigeria At 50 In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.