Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria (2850 Views)

Why South Eastern Igbos Should Distance Themselves From South South / Man In G-Wagon Gives Money To Boys Selling Firewood Ahead Of Christmas / Confused Monkey Tries To Steal A Burger Through A Car Windscreen In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Blurpy: 9:48pm On Mar 26, 2021
I've just stayed in South Africa for some time and I noticed how ahead they are than Nigeria

1) They have 24/7 electricity,if there is going to be power outage, they will let you know on time and when it will be back ( not always less than 40 minutes) and rarely occurs
2) They have good roads, I didn't notice any potholes since my stay there.
3) They have quality education, the structure of their universities is lovely, even the students area make sense, like Europe settings. Kai, I just remember unn..chai. Most importantly nothing like ASUU strike.
4) There were no taxis , only buses and they have brt lanes organized movement.
5) No street trading on the roads
6) No wet or open market, only malls
7) There are traffic lights everywhere,( they call it robot here) and everyone obeys it because camera is watching)
cool They have a functional credit facility system, their citizens are entitled to buy goods on loan so far you have I'd number
9) they have what they call RDP houses for their citizens, HOUSE for FREE!
10) Even the roads in their villages are tarred , everywhere
11) Nothing like roadside mechanics, everybody takes his cars to the manufacturer workshop every 10,000km, it's a must.
12) I can count the number of times I saw police, nothing like checkpoint on the whole road, I mean crossing different towns, I couldn't believe it.
I remembered pH to Owerri where they are over 150 checkpoints.
13) Their policemen don't carry ak rifles, just pistol and radio
14) Their government healthcare is absolutely free

Additional observations
° It's common to see diesel cars here, petrol is expensive here
°The weather is just cool, I love this, not too extreme and harsh
°I didn't see any '05 corolla or Camry muscle or spider, I didn't see even lexus es350 that's reigning in Nigeria, just fords, Benz,BMW,Kia, and they mostly drive small cars even the whites too. No much fast life.
°People smoke cigarettes on the streets more, white women especially , maybe due to the weather
°

8 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by OkuFaba(m): 9:51pm On Mar 26, 2021
Them girls got nice curves too

1 Like

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Anigreat: 9:58pm On Mar 26, 2021
shocked

Lol

Its actually funny how someone can think of comparing south Africa with a shithole Godforsaken country like Nigeria.

Those guys beat this zoo in all ramifications.

11 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Pierohandsome: 10:27pm On Mar 26, 2021
The only thing African about South Africa ,is the Africa in their name.

That country is simply a western European country.

6 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Barbsamiin: 1:01am On Mar 27, 2021
NG and SA can't be compared, Repent from such comparison.

8 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Nicoswit(m): 8:00am On Mar 27, 2021
Op abeg post pictures

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Cybercop2002: 8:16am On Mar 27, 2021
99% of we Nigeria are not working toward making our country but for personal gain like showcasing on instagram and we forget about the rest just let me make money is all our doing unnecessary give away to gain fame ,we Nigerians value fame ,money and material thing than the prosperity and the development of the country,but i pray will get it right before its too late

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Elnon: 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2021
TRUE...SA IS FAR AHEAD OF NIGERIA!
Anigreat:
shocked

Lol

Its actually funny how someone can think of comparing south Africa with a shithole Godforsaken country like Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by kenny714433(m): 11:18pm On Mar 27, 2021
cry

Solutions I can offer to Nigeria.

~Digitalize(link) all vehicles plate number to vehicle owner account number. Then mount censors in every KM of roads. Any infringement of traffic rules or wrong packing, the account is debited immediately.

[Impact] Ordeliness will be restored on our roads.

~Set up tax force/Data bank to catch those who litter our roads. Fine defaulters heavily and subject them to community service.

[Impact] our environment with wear beauty.

~Crackdown on roadside seller and no indiscriminate display of billboards. Any object that trespasses our pedestrian path should be confiscated.

~The federal/state government should build just three model nursery/secondary schools in the three senatorial districts in their state.

~All other infrastructures can wait till the FG completes power infrastructure no matter what it will cost. States should be given right to generate and use her own power too.

~ Topnotch ICT centers should be built in all the states (TOPNOTCH). Then innovation competition set up with catchy prize. Say 90mil. N/B, the competition should be LG level followed by state then federal. Private individuals and school can register to participate. The participants should camp and fed like BBN housemates till elimination. The winner can proceed to nxt level till federal level.

~Good planning of cities and adherence to the plan.

~Good governance and kicking corruption out should be encouraged.

With these, every other sectors will fall in place sooner than we thought.

6 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by mroyato(m): 1:35am On Mar 28, 2021
While I agree with you that South Africa is way ahead of Nigeria, I think some of the points you raised to support your claim are quite exaggerated.

1. Recently (Although not very recently), south africa's power generation and distribution company, ESKOM have been facing a lot of challenges in the electricity sector. Hence, it's not business as usual anymore as some province now experience up to 4 hours of load shedding everyday.

2. There are metered taxis in south africa. They also refer to those buses as taxi sometimes.

3. I have not seen anyone hawk on the street but there are open markets everywhere.

4. They have a name for their villages, unfortunately I cant remember now. Trust me, some of those villages dont have light and good roads.

5. There are police check points but not as common as what we see on our roads here.

6. The weather can be very cold during winter nights. Some areas get to -2°c in the night.

The truth is that SA have their own issues, and they are very serious ones.

That being said, I really envy a lot of things about SA and sometimes I wonder how unlucky they are to be classified as a part of Africa.

1. The university system: They have the best universities in Africa. They have 2 schools in the top 300 in the world. At a time (2015/2016), UCT was among the first 100 universities in the world.

2. I also love everything about Capetown. From the airport down to the city, there are only a few cities in the world that can match the mother city.

3. If you are a fashion freak, there's literally a store for every designer brand you can think of.

5 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Blurpy: 4:16am On Mar 28, 2021
Lol guy...I'm here now ,I'm telling you I saw no checkpoints on the road, I travelled from Pretoria to mafikeng in North West province, no single police, I could count the number of times I saw police, even their vehicles,i only saw police once in nandos eatery buying something,he was just with pistol and radio. Naija own go carry rifle with cellotaped magazines upandan

In Pretoria and Joburg where I know,there is constant light 24/7, since I'm here , only once they did loadshedding and you were been informed on time and when it will be brought back .it wasn't up to 2 hours.

The open market are not everywhere, they are where there is high residence of migrants in that area.

I have been looking to find a pothole since to no avail. tongue

mroyato:
While I agree with you that South Africa is way ahead of Nigeria, I think some of the points you raised to support your claim are quite exaggerated.

1. Recently (Although not very recently), south africa's power generation and distribution company, ESKOM have been facing a lot of challenges in the electricity sector. Hence, it's not business as usual with some province experiencing up to 4 hours of load shedding everyday.

2. There are metered taxis in south africa. They also refer to those buses as taxis sometimes.

3. I have not seen anyone hawk on the street but there are open markets everywhere.

4. They have a name for their villages, unfortunately I cant remember now. Trust me, some of those villages dont have light and good roads.

5. There are police check points but not as common as what we see on our roads here.

6. The weather can be very cold during winter nights. Some areas get to -2°c in the night.

The truth is SA have their issues and they are very serious ones.

That being said, I really envy quite a lot of things about SA and sometimes I wonder how unlucky they are to be classified as a part of Africa.

1. The university system: They have the best universities in Africa. They have 2 schools in the top 300 on the world. At a time, UCT was in the first 100 world universities.

2. I also love the evertthing about Capetown. From the airport down to the city, there are only a few cities in the world that can match the mother city.

3. If you are a fashion freak, there's literally a store for every designer brand you can think of.

1 Like

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Limassol(m): 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
mroyato:

1. Recently (Although not very recently), south africa's power generation and distribution company, ESKOM have been facing a lot of challenges in the electricity sector. Hence, it's not business as usual with some province experiencing up to 4 hours of load shedding everyday.

2. There are metered taxis in south africa. They also refer to those buses as taxis sometimes.

The truth is SA have their issues and they are very serious ones.

That being said, I really envy quite a lot of things about SA and sometimes I wonder how unlucky they are to be classified as a part of Africa.

1. The university system: They have the best universities in Africa. They have 2 schools in the top 300 on the world. At a time, UCT was in the first 100 world universities.

2. I also love the evertthing about Capetown. From the airport down to the city, there are only a few cities in the world that can match the mother city.

You've said it all, also i noticed the exaggerations in op post. Though to be honest, the country is way ahead of Nigeria.

By the way do you live in SA?I
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by TMKsouth: 11:26pm On Mar 28, 2021
mroyato:

Townships?

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by mroyato(m): 11:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
TMKsouth:

Townships?

Yeah. Something like that.
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by JaceBlaze: 9:31am On Mar 29, 2021
Blurpy:
I've just stayed in South Africa for some time and I noticed how ahead they are than Nigeria

1) They have 24/7 electricity,if there is going to be power outage, they will let you know on time and when it will be back ( not always less than 40 minutes) and rarely occurs
3) They have quality education, the structure of their universities is lovely, even the students area make sense, like Europe settings. Kai, I just remember unn..chai. Most importantly nothing like ASUU strike.
7) There are traffic lights everywhere,( they call it robot here) and everyone obeys it because camera is watching)
cool They have a functional credit facility system, their citizens are entitled to buy goods on loan so far you have I'd number
11) Nothing like roadside mechanics, everybody takes his cars to the manufacturer workshop every 10,000km, it's a must.
12) I can count the number of times I saw police, nothing like checkpoint on the whole road, I mean crossing different towns, I couldn't believe it.

Additional observations
°I didn't see any '05 corolla or Camry muscle or spider, I didn't see even lexus es350 that's reigning in Nigeria, just fords, Benz,BMW,Kia, and they mostly drive small cars even the whites too. No much fast life.
°People smoke cigarettes on the streets more, white women especially , maybe due to the weather
°

Interesting observation....with slight exaggerations here and there.

Anyway,I think South Africa should be enjoyed for what it is.It should not be compared to Nigerian in any shape or form because the two countries are not even in the same galaxy if we talking development.

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Raph82(m): 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2021
JaceBlaze:

Interesting observation....with slight exaggerations here and there.

Anyway,I think South Africa should be enjoyed for what it is.It should not be compared to Nigerian in any shape or form because the two countries are not even in the same galaxy if we talking development.
God punish awolowo and his colleagues who fought for early independence for Nigeria just because of their selfish interest (to become leaders), had it been they let things be as they were, those whites would have turned Nigeria to modern day Japan before thinking of taking over from the whites. That was what helped SA. Those whites had developed SA to good standard before Mandela and co fought for power shift.

2 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by JaceBlaze: 10:10pm On Apr 03, 2021
Raph82:
God punish awolowo and his colleagues who fought for early independence for Nigeria just because of their selfish interest (to become leaders), had it been they let things be as they were, those whites would have turned Nigeria to modern day Japan before thinking of taking over from the whites. That was what helped SA. Those whites had developed SA to good standard before Mandela and co fought for power shift.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by IronGalaxy: 11:28pm On Apr 03, 2021
Blurpy:

Additional observations
°
There are taxis. Lots of them
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by IronGalaxy: 11:30pm On Apr 03, 2021
Pierohandsome:
The only thing African about South Africa ,is the Africa in their name.

That country is simply a western European country.

hm. Even our African rituals are apparently"western"..lol. the idiocy of this forum grin grin
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Pierohandsome: 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2021
IronGalaxy:
[s]hm. Even our African rituals are apparently"western"..lol. the idiocy of this forum grin grin[/s]
Ewu!

We are talking about development this mumu is talking of ritual.

And who told you the Americans and Europeans don't do rituals too. Ozuo
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by IronGalaxy: 11:46pm On Apr 03, 2021
Pierohandsome:
Ewu!

We are talking about development this mumu is talking of ritual.

And who told you the Americans and Europeans don't do rituals too. Ozuo
You said EVERYTHING in South Africa is WESTERN which is not possible in an African country. Our African practices and rituals can't be western.

Secondly, what is this thing called "white development" please elaborate on that..I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about.

3 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by zhike: 11:58pm On Apr 03, 2021
Blurpy:

Additional observations
°

Thanks a lot for writing the honest truth.
What Nigeria need to do is to work together with South Africa and Nigeria will be better also very soon.
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by zhike: 12:06am On Apr 04, 2021
mroyato:

1. Recently (Although not very recently), south africa's power generation and distribution company, ESKOM have been facing a lot of challenges in the electricity sector. Hence, it's not business as usual anymore as some province now experience up to 4 hours of load shedding everyday.

2. There are metered taxis in south africa. They also refer to those buses as taxi sometimes.

The truth is that SA have their own issues, and they are very serious ones.

That being said, I really envy a lot of things about SA and sometimes I wonder how unlucky they are to be classified as a part of Africa.

1. The university system: They have the best universities in Africa. They have 2 schools in the top 300 in the world. At a time (2015/2016), UCT was among the first 100 universities in the world.

2. I also love everything about Capetown. From the airport down to the city, there are only a few cities in the world that can match the mother city.

My friend let me correct you.

There is no village in South Africa that can have load shedding for 4 hours everyday . This statement is not correct. Load shedding only comes if some of Eskom power station are down.
To resolve this issue SA govt build Medupi and Kusile power stations.
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by zhike: 12:10am On Apr 04, 2021
Raph82:

My friend I agree that whites created good foundation for South African Govt.

Pls note that Good roads, electricity to people, piped water to houses, big malls, hospitals, schools, universities were created by black governments after 1994.
Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by zhike: 12:15am On Apr 04, 2021
kenny714433:
cry

Solutions I can offer to Nigeria.

~Digitalize(link) all vehicles plate number to vehicle owner account number. Then mount censors in every KM of roads. Any infringement of traffic rules or wrong packing, the account is debited immediately.

[Impact] Ordeliness will be restored on our roads.

~Set up tax force/Data bank to catch those who litter our roads. Fine defaulters heavily and subject them to community service.

[Impact] our environment with wear beauty.

~Crackdown on roadside seller and no indiscriminate display of billboards. Any object that trespasses our pedestrian path should be confiscated.

~The federal/state government should build just three model nursery/secondary schools in the three senatorial districts in their state.

~All other infrastructures can wait till the FG completes power infrastructure no matter what it will cost. States should be given right to generate and use her own power too.

~ Topnotch ICT centers should be built in all the states (TOPNOTCH). Then innovation competition set up with catchy prize. Say 90mil. N/B, the competition should be LG level followed by state then federal. Private individuals and school can register to participate. The participants should camp and fed like BBN housemates till elimination. The winner can proceed to nxt level till federal level.

~Good planning of cities and adherence to the plan.

~Good governance and kicking corruption out should be encouraged.

With these, every other sectors will fall in place sooner than we thought.

More suggestions to Nigeria
Nigeria Govt should strengthen justice system.
Nigeria should collect more tax from citizens. Formalize informal business.
Nigeria should stop identify people with a Religion.

1 Like

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by Raph82(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2021
zhike:

My friend I agree that whites created good foundation for South African Govt.

Pls note that Good roads, electricity to people, piped water to houses, big malls, hospitals, schools, universities were created by black governments after 1994.
And why did those selfish leaders not allow the whites lay good foundation for us too, and we take it over from there? God punish all of them in their grave, awolowo, Azikiwe and the rest.

1 Like

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by selemempe: 3:27pm On Apr 04, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Lol

Kenya even has a more functional society than war-torn Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by selemempe: 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2021
Raph82:
Awolowo and Zik fought for nothing. What ended British colonialism was world war 2. Was it Zik that also fought for Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania? Go and check the dates of their independence you will see they were all around the same period.

Europe simply came to Africa to reorganize the continent so they can trade with us without war. So they can pay with their money instead of our local systems of exchange like cowries.

At the height of British colonialism in Nigeria there were less than 200 whites living in Nigeria

On the other hand whites settled in South Africa as far back as 1645. They have lived in South Africa for 400 years and their intention was to eliminate the Blacks like in Canada, Australia and U.S....it didn't work. White population in South Africa was over 5 million in 1980

3 Likes

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by selemempe: 3:51pm On Apr 04, 2021
IronGalaxy:
You said EVERYTHING in South Africa is WESTERN which is not possible in an African country. Our African practices and rituals can't be western.

Secondly, what is this thing called "white development" please elaborate on that..I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about.
this dude again. It's only people who don't know the history of South Africa you will deceive
As at 1960 there were only 400 black south Africans in university. By then, Nigeria was already an independent country with two universities.
By 1980, the Afrikaans government had already finished plans to move you unproductive negroes into 'Bantusans' so they can finally remove you guys from their sights. By then Nigeria was already the 3rd largest economy in Africa after Egypt and south Africa.
Seeing you Bantu south Africans acting like you built south Africa while the rest of Africa was sleeping boils my blood
The pictures below is south Africa in the 80s. It was more developed than Los Angeles as at then and it wasn't built by you Bantustans

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by TMKsouth: 6:33pm On Apr 04, 2021
selemempe:
this dude again. It's only people who don't know the history of South Africa you will deceive
As at 1960 there were only 400 black south Africans in university. By then, Nigeria was already an independent country with two universities.
By 1980, the Afrikaans government had already finished plans to move you unproductive negroes into 'Bantusans' so they can finally remove you guys from their sights. By then Nigeria was already the 3rd largest economy in Africa after Egypt and south Africa.
Seeing you Bantu south Africans acting like you built south Africa while the rest of Africa was sleeping boils my blood
The pictures below is south Africa in the 80s. It was more developed than Los Angeles as at then and it wasn't built by you Bantustans

These pics you provided are all from Hillbrow, Johannesburg. It's now a mini Lagos slum full of Nigerian druglords and most sane South Africans have fled (black and white).

So question is: where did they move to?

Answer: New developments built by black government. Go to Midrand, Centurion, Sandton.

I don't know why you wanna deceive people that South African cities have not expanded during black rule. What you are showing us is old Johannesburg (old South Africa).

Pic 1: Old Johannesburg CBD (white rule)
Pics 2 - 4: New Johannesburg CBD (black rule) cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why South Africa Is Ahead Of Nigeria by TMKsouth: 6:46pm On Apr 04, 2021
selemempe:

Look at what we are building and weep. It will take Nigeria a 1000 years to reach this level of black South African development cool cool cool Your Eko Atlantic is still just populated by 2 buildings 15 years after you began construction. sad

More heartache on next page.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Afeez Oyetoro Aka Saka Actually Betray Etisalat? / How ASUU Strike turns Female Students Into Prostitutes / Pictures Of 60years Old Woman That Looks Like A Teenager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.