Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,350 members, 7,957,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:37 AM

Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? (14938 Views)

Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? / Can A Born Again Christian Be Affected By Past Curses And Ancestral Bondages? / Can A Genuine Christian Become A Billionaire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
stanliwise:

I need the chapter of the verses Jesus said this.
I posted it too. Matthew 20 vs 20 -28

Matthew 20 vs 20-28 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20. Then Zebedee’s wife came to Jesus and brought her sons. She bowed before Jesus and asked him to do something for her.
21. Jesus said, “What do you want?”
She said, “Promise that one of my sons will sit at your right side in your kingdom and the other at your left.”

22. So Jesus said to the sons, “You don’t understand what you are asking. Can you drink from the cup[a] that I must drink from?”
The sons answered, “Yes, we can!”

23. Jesus said to them, “It is true that you will drink from the cup that I drink from. But it is not for me to say who will sit at my right or my left. My Father has decided who will do that. He has prepared those places for them.”
24. The other ten followers heard this and were angry with the two brothers.
25. So Jesus called the followers together. He said, “You know that the rulers of the non-Jewish people love to show their power over the people. And their important leaders love to use all their authority over the people.
26. But it should not be that way with you. Whoever wants to be your leader must be your servant.
27. Whoever wants to be first must serve the rest of you like a slave.
28. Do as I did: The Son of Man did not come for people to serve him. He came to serve others and to give his life to save many people.”
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Mar 28, 2021
xamiel4:

Proverbs 29:2
New Living Translation
When the godly are in authority, the people rejoice. But when the wicked are in power, they groan.
I am not quoting from proverbs but Jesus Christ. Matthew 20 vs 20-28

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20. Then Zebedee’s wife came to Jesus and brought her sons. She bowed before Jesus and asked him to do something for her.
She said, “Promise that one of my sons will sit at your right side in your kingdom and the other at your left.”

22. So Jesus said to the sons, “You don’t understand what you are asking. Can you drink from the cup[a] that I must drink from?”

23. Jesus said to them, “It is true that you will drink from the cup that I drink from. But it is not for me to say who will sit at my right or my left. My Father has decided who will do that. He has prepared those places for them.”
25. So Jesus called the followers together. He said, “You know that the rulers of the non-Jewish people love to show their power over the people. And their important leaders love to use all their authority over the people.
26. But it should not be that way with you. Whoever wants to be your leader must be your servant.
28. Do as I did: The Son of Man did not come for people to serve him. He came to serve others and to give his life to save many people.”
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Ajibade123(m): 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The answer to that is No. Regardless of what you read of in the Old Testament, in the New Covenant, Jesus Christ declared it a sin for any follower of His to occupy a position of power/ leadership over the others, in much the same way as is obtained in the World we live in. undecided

So, you will not find a born again Christian occupying position of leadership or authority over people( other followers of Jesus Christ included) because it is against God to do so. undecided
so if the born again shouldn't take leadership position then who should take it?? The sinners?? or will God send an angel from heaven to rule us??
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by freeborn02: 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Thst comment had nothing to do with my reasoning.

It does
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2021
Telelimit:
Stop talking nonsense about Christ and pray for the Biblical understanding, for if the righteous rules the people's rejoice
Do you know what righteous means? Matthew 25 vs 31-46 tells you the key to the Kingdom of Heaven, righteousness.

Matthew 20 vs 20-28 is Jesus Christ declaring it a sin for any of His followers occupying seats of authority over others. Why do you think He promises that when He returns, you will reign with Him in His Kingdom instead? undecided

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
stanliwise:

I am ashamed of you as a Christian. This same ideology has been what Sam Adeyemi has been trying hard to preach against, it is mental slavery in the Christian community.
Mental slavery to keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ? I am afraid I am not sure why anyone who believes in Jesus Christ would preach against submitting to the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself . undecided
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:21pm On Mar 28, 2021
mmsen:

They don't want to do that but want to justify their corrupt desires.
it is indeed sad to see that many who claim to love Jesus Christ only love Him in mouth only. Jesus Christ declared that those who love in are instead those who keep His commandments.

Jesus Christ instead promises His followers that they will reign with Him in Heaven.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Tobechuckwu:

It's like u have to read Ur Bible all over again!
The Bible says d people rejoice when a Righteous man is in power.
A Christian can be a Nigerian politician , nd can still serve God nd still be righteous. That it's hard to find doesn't mean it can't be
Try to pay attention, regardless of what is written for you in the book of Proverbs by men who were in authority at the time, the fact is God is Law as far as His people and Kingdom is concerned. I made it clear that regardless of what you have read of in the Old Testament, the New Covenant, Jesus Christ decreed it a sin to occupy such positions , as one of His followers. undecided

So unless you are suggesting we throw away the commandments of Jesus Christ, and the Gospels as a whole, because some where in the book of proverbs , some king suggested that the people are happier when the righteous men rule, I say you get your mind together as far as who it is that rules over you. undecided

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2021
HBB1:

So that is what you could glean from that verse?

This is just a question of Intelligence...
You my friend are very very unintelligent!
You never mentioned the level of intelligence you are working with there. undecided
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
LordReed:

Where in the bible did Jesus make that declaration?
Matthew 20

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2021
salem1996:

Hope you know Jesus Himself was a leader over people??

Sometimes we speak without any wisdom.

Do you know that Many People including Philemon were Leaders in their communities?

Corinth was consider one of the worst city in her days as seen in 1 Cor. 5 yet some believers were leaders.

Listen, it depends on your motives of Joining politics. No doubt that Nigeria have a corrupt governmental system but think of Daniel. Do u know that no matter how u pray and fast nothing will change in the government If there are no right people there? and as long we keep having this view, nothing serious will change and the government will keep oppressing the church.

*I come in peace*
Jesus Christ was not a leader over His people. He told you that when He said my Kingdom is not of this world. Also, Jesus Christ did not call on you to emulate men like Philemon but Himself. That is why , in Matthew 20 vs 20-29, He made it clear that you instead serve as a slave to others just as He did.

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2021
FirmTR:

You know, irrespective of one's age, it takes a higher level of reasoning to understand the Bible.

What Jesus meant there is that a good leader must be ready to serve (attend to the needs) his subjects at all times.
I am afraid you are reading your ideas and words into what Jesus Christ said thinking that by doing so, you can make it better for your mind to accept. Instead you are called to accept(trust) and obey His teachings just as it was given you. undecided

How many slave leaders do you know of, or have you known since the day you were born into this world? undecided
How many have you in fact witnessed with your own eyes? Men and their egoes are not capable of such feats. Try to be honest with yourself undecided

What Jesus Christ said is the Truth... rather than occupy positions of power, serve instead others as a servant would, when He returns, you can reign with Him as an heir to His Kingdom. undecided

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2021
Ajibade123:

so if the born again shouldn't take leadership position then who should take it?? The sinners?? or will God send an angel from heaven to rule us??

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Zoe99(f): 2:43pm On Mar 28, 2021
This is what I've discovered in this religion section.Everyone comes here with their own unnegotiable opinion determined to defend it to the last.It's just like being in a discussion with someone and you're quiet not because you're listening to the person but cos you're deliberating on what you'll say once he's done.People basically come here to argue and those who are actually seeking the truth are just floating in the air.Besides,it seems this thread has been hijacked by the Jehovah's witnesses.

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by kimco(m): 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Oh, I see you are chuck full of the deceit that is false teachers and prophets there. In the Kingdom of God, those who are extraordinary are instead those who serves as slaves to the rest. undecided
Jesus Christ told you this in the same context, but since you skipped the first memo, why not skip them all, right? undecided

See, Jesus Christ even tells you that to be first, you have to be a slave/servant to everyone else, just like He was.

So it means as a politician, instead of thinking yourself like a god, you have to humble yourself and serve your fellow mankind. So Jesus didnt preach against leadership, he preached against poor leadership. Am i right in my interpretation?

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by EvilPOTATO(m): 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2021
Etuagievin:
. But which genuine Christian do you think can bail us out?
me myself
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Zoe99(f): 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2021
kimco:

So it means as a politician, instead of thinking yourself like a god, you have to humble yourself and serve your fellow mankind. So Jesus didnt preach against leadership, he preached against poor leadership. Am i right in my interpretation?
Bros,this lady just loves to argue.She won't reason with you.

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Mar 28, 2021
kimco:

Be honest with yourself... forget fantasy! Have you ever met such a leader in your own life - a leader that is instead a servant? Even among the Jews(exclude Jesus) there was none of that.
None of the Popes, Pastors(so called church leaders) have been able to accomplish that feat - be servant leaders in the way that Jesus Christ was.. so you tell me, is your "interpretation" a correct one? undecided
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Adjovi: 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2021
unscripted:
prove your point with scriptures as he did ... he is entirely correct.. as Christians what are we waiting for ( thy kingdom come , thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven) ... the isrealite waited for the heavenly rule because just has God warned them , man can not rule man, king jesus came to connect us to the creator so many of use can qualify to be with him in the ultimate kingdom.. where there will no longer be wiping , death , sorrow , pain , sickness , inequality , selfishness etc .. as a Christian we should be politically neutral..

Where is it written in the Bible that Christians should not take up leadership positions. That's the problem with most Christians we only prefer to pray and expect God to perform miracles while we fold our arms doing nothing. Faith without work is nothing so says the Bible.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
Adjovi:

Where is it written in the Bible that Christians should not take up leadership positions. That's the problem with most Christians we only prefer to pray and expect God to perform miracles while we fold our arms doing nothing. Faith without work is nothing so says the Bible.
What has Faith and works to do with this? The works God calls you do as they very commandments you rail against and push away every chance to get, even now.

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Adjovi: 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Be honest with yourself... forget fantasy! Have you ever met such a leader in your own life - a leader that is instead a servant? Even among the Jews(exclude Jesus) there was none of that.
None of the Popes, Pastors(so called church leaders) have been able to accomplish that feat - be servant leaders in the way that Jesus Christ was.. so you tell me, is your interpretation a correct one? undecided

So because there was none like it does that validate the fact that Christians should hold back and watch people who don't have the fear of God to continue to rule and destroy the nation?

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Alezy(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
First thing you need to do is learn how to read, working on your comprehension skills while you are at it. undecided

Secondly, you need to apply those newfound comprehension skills in reading the Bible so you are not easily deceived by ordinary men who have just one head like you do. undecided
with all due respect you haven't still said anything. He gave you prophets in the bible that held political positions. You just made a point without a biblical proof. How about a passage in the bible for us to read??
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by kimco(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Martin luther king jnr.

Ghandi

Im sure the list goes on and on. To be a slave doesnt mean to postrate your self to your people or be completely at their mercy....it means putting their well being first and doing every for that very objective....even if it means being a bit harsh on them. Sometimes tough love is good. We just need to know the lines we cannot cross. That's all.

So with that, i have seen multiple.

Moses is one jew that fits the description..

John the baptist.
Jesus.

Just because you are tough doesnt mean you are a bad leader....but there is a threshold you cannot cross
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Alezy(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
Robbit:

I don't have your time. Levels seperate extraordinary from ordinary

Enjoy
I love your answer

2 Likes

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Adjovi: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:

What has Faith and works to do with this? The works God calls you do as they very commandments you rail against and push away every chance to get, even now.

This verse you are quoting does not in any way show Jesus being against Christians holding leadership positions. Rather it's saying whomsoever have been made a leader should rather humble himself and serve the people.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by kimco(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
Zoe99:
Bros,this lady just loves to argue.She won't reason with you.

I pray she understands me though...i hoping for the best

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
Adjovi:

So because there was none like it does that validate the fact that Christians should hold back and watch people who don't have the fear of God to continue to rule and destroy the nation?
Jesus Christ made it clear to you from the beginning that His Kingdom is not of this world and His followers are also not of this world, even though they too live in this world. undecided

Maybe a better question to ask yourself is why you feel you need to rule in this world? Do you not Trust God enough to take care of you while you are in this world even as He tool care of Jesus Christ.undecided
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by kimco(m): 2:59pm On Mar 28, 2021
Adjovi:

This verse you are quoting does not in any way show Jesus being against Christians holding leadership positions. Rather it's saying whomsoever have been made a leader should rather humble himself and serve the people.

This monicker is an Ewe name. Are you an Ewe? Also, ypu are right on the money.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2021
Adjovi:

Have you ever read of in History or met such a humble servant leader ? Forget fantasy.. let's speak of reality here. undecided
Have you yourself been able to accomplish such a feat in your own existence? undecided
Have you ever met a gentle leader whose position even accommodates such an idea/description in the world we live in today? undecided
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Adjovi: 3:03pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ made it clear to you from the beginning that His Kingdom is not of this world and His followers are also not of this world. Maybe a better question to ask yourself is why you feel you need to rule in this world? undecided

The reason while I feel I need to rule is because I can't stand seeing people suffer. I read politics in school and I was the Union leader for my set. Now is not the time to pray for Nigeria to be better but to rather work towards making it better. Yes as Christians our kingdom is not of this world, but we are in the world and must live in it. There's a charge for us already. " When the wicked rule the people suffer, but when the just rule, the people rejoice" it's time for the just to go into politics so that the people can rejoice.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by kimco(m): 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ made it clear to you from the beginning that His Kingdom is not of this world and His followers are also not of this world, even though they too live in this world. undecided

Maybe a better question to ask yourself is why you feel you need to rule in this world? Do you not Trust God enough to take care of you while you are in this world even as He tool care of Jesus Christ.undecided

Because we are in the world. If we dont rule the world well only anarchy will ensue. I dont think Jesus wants to see women raped and kids beheaded because everyone wants to do what they want.

A bad ruler is better than no ruler....and we both know how bad a bad ruler is... Think about it again.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? by Adjovi: 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Have you ever read of in History or met such a humble servant leader ? Forget fantasy.. let's speak of reality here. undecided
Have you yourself been able to accomplish such a feat in your own existence?

You have not met very humble people that's why you are saying all this. Who do you think will fix Nigeria for you? Your prayers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What I Did After Stones Were Thrown At Me While Preaching On The Streets / What Are Your Favourite Bible Characters? / Corruption In Nigeria: Even In Churches, Ushers Steal From Offerings – PFN Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.