Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? (5797 Views)

Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Hushpuppi Is An Angel Compared To Buhari - Reno Omokri / Osinbajo: 'Buhari Poorer Now Compared To 2015' - Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
I lived in this farming village in the Netherlands for 9 months when I was younger. That was my house in the first picture.

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Shokoloko(f): 2:38pm On Mar 29, 2021
OP needs to first show us what wonderful changes he has made in his own village.

Charity begins at home. Let's see your village

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 29, 2021
Oshigun:
@OP.

If you don't insult Nigerians routinely and mercilessly then perhaps you would get better responses to your posts which are totally bereft of decorum even though not totally without merit.

It is called tough love. Do you know how bitter many Nigerians in diaspora are for having to leave their homeland and fatherland.

The OP loves the country more than you can ever imagine.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Tats(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist:
Nigerians get mad when Europeans call you monkeys and look down on you. But why do you chose to live like animals instead of beautifying your environment? What is so hard about performing basic improvements like painting your house?

Here is another Nigerian village vs a remote village in Norway. Guess which one is the Nigerian village.

The first picture is the Nigerian village grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
This is possible in Africa look at a Luderitz,Namibia a village town. It was built by the German settlers, but on African soil.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2021
Karasburg,Namibia-A village simply needs to be organized,clean and well planned.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 29, 2021
Omaruru,Namibia-Look at how organized some villages are in Namibia. This is why you hardly see Nambians immigrating to other countries.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Burruchaga71(m): 3:22pm On Mar 29, 2021
Guy, my village in Anambra is not like this.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 29, 2021
Burruchaga71:
Guy, my village in Anambra is not like this.
Post pictures of you village. If it is not Namibian standard, don't bring shame to it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by DaInferno(m): 4:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist:
The biggest problem in Nigeria is that most of the people don't understand beauty and harmony. Everything in the country is monkey-ish and scatter-scatter. The people generally don't take time to beautify and decorate their living spaces -- leading to ugly environments wherever Nigerians inhabit.

Compare villages in Nigeria to other parts of the world. The first image is a typical Nigerian village. The second image is a village in Northern Europe.
our leaders are more interested in cows than humans, against progression than retrogression.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 4:19pm On Mar 29, 2021
Its down to poverty and inequality. Even cities in Europe and USA were like that until they fixed up.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 29, 2021
PROUDIGBO:
Our villages never used to look like this pre-independence! What you see today is part of the effects of us letting go of our values and culture due to the overwhelming influence of a self-governed, post-independence Nigeria that was awash in petrodollars!
I very much doubt this assertion.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist:
The first step in fixing a problem is admitting it exists and taking responsibility. After that, the problem will solve itself. It's just like a man who smells bad. Once he knows that he is stinking and accepts that he is dirty, the next step is bathing.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by clockwisereport: 4:37pm On Mar 29, 2021
bjdon:
Dear Op what have you done to beautify your village? Everybody complains, everybody compares Nigeria to other countries, but nobody is prepared to do there own little bit. Let me tell you in most developed countries, ordinary people do a lot of thing outside of govt. In Nigeria everybody just wants to be an armchair critic.
I recommend you watch the movie 'the boy who harnessed the wind' See how one boy in Malawi made a difference that saved his village from famine. We all need to start being the change we want to see

abeg drop the link to the movie. I go like watch am

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 4:49pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist:
The biggest problem in Nigeria is that most of the people don't understand beauty and harmony. Everything in the country is monkey-ish and scatter-scatter. The people generally don't take time to beautify and decorate their living spaces -- leading to ugly environments wherever Nigerians inhabit.

Compare villages in Nigeria to other parts of the world. The first image is a typical Nigerian village. The second image is a village in Northern Europe.

Also, I think that you are deliberately misrepresenting here. In western and northern Europe, rich and well off people move out into the countryside and village to live. Especially creative people like writers and artists. Rich stock brokers, bankers, hedge fund managers and business types also have second homes there. The more remote, the better. They love the clean air, serenity, low population, lots of green, relatively crime free, acres of land etc. Nearly all the poor people live in cities. Go to the council estates and its not so pretty.

It's the complete opposite to Nigeria where the village is full of poor people and the rich people live in cities. From what I understand, its mostly in the SE Nigeria (especially Anambra), SS (Akwa Ibom) and Ijebus in SW where rich people habitually go back to the village to build homes.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by onomeabuja: 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
@Op weldone ooooooo ur head get oil

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Rahkman: 8:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:
Karasburg,Namibia-A village simply needs to be organized,clean and well planned.

omo na village for namibia wey come dey like maitama be this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by hegelian: 9:28pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist:

the difference is in what we value...we only value mundane things down here, we value wat we wear, show off to oppress others and wanton waste of funds..our problems lies in this and it boomerang in our we even run our govt..you will see someone driving a lexus brand new and have a house with a gully front yard and tartered fence...

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Shiver99: 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2021
Aconomist, like other people posted, it is a factor of poverty.

Much of what we consider 'Nigerian Culture' today is actually the result of generations of poverty, corruption and neglect.

However your thread is actually a gross generalisation.

From an Igbo perspective, Igbos never really lived in congested cities but instead in towns, like more developed countries are trying to do do now.

Several Europeans noted how picturesque and well-ordered Igbo towns were. Igbos made sure to regularly maintain their inner streets and main roads as well as their houses, which were often bedazzled with decorative items or white-washed.

While this strict village maintenance culture had disappeared, the fierce pride in their villages never did l, and no Igbo person would be comfortable leaving their villages like the atrocious pictures above.

Feel free to peruse any thread where Igbos showcase their villages. While most Nigerian villages are undeveloped, trying to compare Igbo ones to the eyesores above is a grave insult.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by PoloG: 1:10am On Mar 30, 2021
Shiver99:

Much of what we consider 'Nigerian Culture' today is actually the result of generations of poverty, corruption and neglect.

From an Igbo perspective, Igbos never really lived in congested cities but instead in towns, like more developed countries are trying to do do now.

Several Europeans noted how picturesque and well-ordered Igbo towns were. Igbos made sure to regularly maintain their inner streets and main roads as well as their houses, which were often bedazzled with decorative items or white-washed.

While this strict village maintenance culture had disappeared, the fierce pride in their villages never did l, and no Igbo person would be comfortable leaving their villages like the atrocious pictures above.

Feel free to peruse any thread where Igbos showcase their villages. While most Nigerian villages are undeveloped, trying to compare Igbo ones to the eyesores above is a grave insult.

igbo people with empty chestbeating and desperate notice me as a result of inferiority complex grin grin
oga nobody know what igbos was if not for slave trade grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Rahkman:
omo na village for namibia wey come dey like maitama be this?
We have to me ashamed and we call ourselves the giant of Africa.Namibia is way ahead of us in terms of development.

Nigerians should stay away from Namibia and fix the country.Viewer discretion is advised, you will weep for the failed state after watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4dQs65KlA
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by SGANIVA(m): 5:27am On Mar 30, 2021
this man no dey travel at all , many villages in anambra and enugu is much better than that you posted with much better and beautiful Mansions.

awka etiti ,alo and many more villages in anambra

awgu and udi in enugu with most beautiful natural environment in South eastern Nigeria ,the hills and the road is much beautiful and better than your pictures .

abiriba is the most beautiful village in abia

I don't know imo very well but I think oguta is fine also

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by passion007: 6:08am On Mar 30, 2021
SGANIVA:
this man no dey travel at all , many villages in anambra and enugu is much better than that you posted with much better and beautiful Mansions.

awka etiti ,alo and many more villages in anambra

awgu and udi in enugu with most beautiful natural environment in South eastern Nigeria ,the hills and the road is much beautiful and better than your pictures .

abiriba is the most beautiful village in abia

I don't know imo very well but I think oguta is fine also

That isn't quite the OP's point.

Put another way, why does the Nigerian person have to be rich in order to live in a 'decent' home?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by passion007: 6:11am On Mar 30, 2021
Shiver99:

Not doubting your claims, but do you have evidence that Igbo historic towns are as you described?
Your description sounds eerily like Richardson's first impressions of Benin many centuries ago.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by Shiver99: 6:12am On Mar 30, 2021
PoloG:
igbo people with empty chestbeating and desperate notice me as a result of inferiority complex grin grin
oga nobody know what igbos was if not for slave trade grin grin

Shame. But exactly what I was talking about.

Some Nigerians are so used to underdevelopment and neglect that they'll call other people chest-beaters if they say that is not their reality.
That is probably why when Igbos were trying to argue a few years back that villages in the East were expected to resemble country villas and not bomb-hit pig-sties , they were nearly crucified by nay-sayers.

I may actually have to start posting pictures of Igbo villages in this thread because it's honestly sad.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by capitalzero: 6:25am On Mar 30, 2021
Aconomist:
The only thing Nigerians know is stupid dancing and singing. But scraping that dust off their house is too hard.

Fixed!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by juman(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2021
One nigeria is the problem.

Nigeria is so blessed, but one nigeria problem never allow the country to rise.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by juman(m): 6:41am On Mar 30, 2021
Largely they do farming in the villages.

Farming suppose to be lucrative business, but not in nigeria.
Nothing good about one nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by femi4: 8:32am On Mar 30, 2021
What do you expect when you take power away from the lg
Re: Why Are Nigerian Villages So Ugly Compared To Other Countries? by xxxXXXxxx: 10:50am On Mar 30, 2021
Aconomist well done, even tho I must admit I don't like your disparaging description of the people.

You, RuudVanNisteroy and Raydos have brought up a lotta threads on this forum to enlighten folks on the level of mediocrity of urban and rural infrastructures in the country. I just hope most folks could hold similar view.

I think the problem is our level of civilization, we are still an evolving society,albeit;one evolving in a disorganized pattern. I just hope we change the pattern to a more organized one in order to have a better society.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War / Diff Between South Africans And Nigerians / Seun Has Finally Dealt With Nairaland Canceller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.