Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War (5821 Views)

Safety Living Of The Citizens Is Governor Seyi Makinde’s Priority—Damola Fantola / Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War / Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Igboid: 2:04pm On Jun 03, 2021
Paul Anber's essay "Modernization and Political Disintegration: Nigeria and the Ibos" published in the journal of Modern African Studies vol. 5, No 2 (Sep, 1967) 163-179. See pp 171-172 for excerpt:

" '' A system of Universal primary education was introduced in Eastern Nigeria in 1953, though the mission schools had already prospered in the Region long before then. Despite the fact that there was a requirement for limited contributory fees, education continued to be very much in demand. Even at the time when universal primary education was first introduced, the percentage of the population over seven years of age who were literate was higher in the East than in any other Region: East, 10.6 per cent; West 9.5 percent; North, 0.9 percent. Since 1959, the East has had more teachers and pupils than any other area of the country, with the heaviest emphasis on primary education.

Figures for elementary and secondary education indicate that the approximate ratio of teachers to population in 1963 was 1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for every 10,000 in the north. Other statistical data reveal how rapidly the standard of living rose among Ibos. The East had the most extensive hospital facilities in the country by 1965, the largest regional production of electricity in the country by 1954, and the greatest number of vehicle registrations by 1963. The economic orientation of the Ibos was also reflected through membership of credit associations:in 1963 the East had 68,220 individual members, the west 5,776, and the north a mere 2,407." ''... His source was the Annual Abstract of Statistics ( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos, 1965

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Igboid: 2:06pm On Jun 03, 2021
https://www.nairaland.com/6583880/average-yearly-income-igbos-bank

This thread was made as a rebuttal to the above historical revisionist thread that sought to present Ndiigbo as a people of low economic status before the war.

All available reputable facts shows that Ndiigbo were firmly in front of economic development and empowerment in the country before the war.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by horsepower102: 4:58pm On Jun 03, 2021
Notice the silence on this very informative thread but the threads pushing falsehoods against igbos stay alive for days.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Racoon(m): 5:07pm On Jun 03, 2021
No matter how lies travel, the truth will always overtakes it.One Nigeria my foot.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by BigSarah(f): 5:13pm On Jun 03, 2021
This statistics , clearly Igbos weren’t competing they were the competition.

What ever happened to the Ibo state union?

Ironsi banned the group, that guy did so many wrong things.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 03, 2021
Ok
Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by horsepower102: 5:17pm On Jun 03, 2021
BigSarah:

Notice how this statistics was collected by the British themselves because if it was igbos, they will accuse us of chest-beating.

12 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by horsepower102: 5:25pm On Jun 03, 2021
Even now in Nigeria with the current state of the country. The average Igbo person is still living better than the average person from other ethnicities.

This is something that no matter how much you tell certain Nigerians, they refuse to accept. But those who are into business and travel all over the country can confirm this from their observations.

The worse is that they come up with statistics that soothe their egos when the pandemic thoroughly exposed them.

15 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by IGBOSON1: 5:37pm On Jun 03, 2021
horsepower102:
Notice the silence on this very informative thread but the threads pushing falsehoods against igbos stay alive for days.

It's actually scary, and just shows the level of negativity (hate, envy, suspicion, inferiority complex, etc) towards us! I have told Ndigbo that care to listen that we can NEVER reach our full potential sharing the same country with certain ethnic groups!

Nice one OP!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by IGBOSON1: 5:39pm On Jun 03, 2021
BigSarah:

Ironsi banned the group, that guy did so many wrong things.

Ironsi reminds me a bit of Zik and GEJ!

1 Like

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by BigSarah(f): 5:42pm On Jun 03, 2021
IGBOSON1:

Ironsi reminds me a bit of Zik and GEJ!

To me Ironsi Naivity or should I say carelessness is unchallenged in the history of history...

2 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by IGBOSON1: 5:44pm On Jun 03, 2021
As a region, the East was on such a fast upward economic trajectory that -but for the ill-advised Nzeogwu led coup- could have seen it reach first-world status within two decades!

6 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by IGBOSON1: 5:49pm On Jun 03, 2021
BigSarah:

To me Ironsi Naivity or should I say carelessness is unchallenged in the history of history...

They love insulting him and heaping ALL Nigerias' problems on to his head, but he was actually a 'gift' to Igbo haters.....that is going by their own warped way of defining 'development'!

3 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by perez100: 5:56pm On Jun 03, 2021
Now, this is my point. Where are the Igbos on this forum? This thread may be allowed to die natural death but if it is an anti-Igbo thread the same Igbo people here will jump in posting and trying to convince people who knows the truth but decides to give them some headaches.

The Igbos will jump into every anti-Igbo thread created by any mad person and keep pushing the thread 5 to over 10 pages. I created a thread to inform Igbos here to always ignore anti-Igbo threads to die naturally but many of them didn't get my point until one mod deleted the thread.

I don't know when some of my people will become wise. They allowed few Fulanis here with multiple IDs to be playing with their brains. Where are the Igbos and other people now to push this wonderful thread?

The opposite of this thread was created and they all jumped in pushing such thread. Instead of them to disappear from such threads.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by BigSarah(f): 5:58pm On Jun 03, 2021
IGBOSON1:

They love insulting him and heaping ALL Nigerias' problems on to his head, but he was actually a 'gift' to Igbo haters.....that is going by their own warped way of defining 'development'!

To me I think he was just opportunistic, because If it truly was a plot he shouldn’t have been that careless... and if he really wanted to do nothing he should have just handed over back to the North or atleast done an election within the space of 3months..

Igbos have always been hated as far back as 1948 even before the claim of saying coup or civil war, the reason simply being they were good at what they do...
Even the Coup it’s not an Igbo Affair , the Precursor of the Coup is Operation we-tie and declaration of state of emergency in Western region

5 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by IamFINESSE: 6:00pm On Jun 03, 2021
IGBO= I GO BEFORE OTHERS

6 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by slivertongue: 6:05pm On Jun 03, 2021
An eye opener

6 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by BKayy: 6:07pm On Jun 03, 2021
Till date people that share toilets with Neighbours in Lagos don't know that such thing is strange to 80% of Ndigbo that live in Igboland.
What we have in Igboland is class

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by horsepower102: 6:10pm On Jun 03, 2021
perez100:
Now, this is my point. Where are the Igbos on this forum? This thread may be allowed to die natural death but if it is an anti-Igbo thread the same Igbo people here will jump in posting and trying to convince people who knows the truth but decides to give them some headaches.

The Igbos will jump into every anti-Igbo thread created by any mad person and keep pushing the thread 5 to over 10 pages. I created a thread to inform Igbos here to always ignore anti-Igbo threads to die naturally but many of them didn't get my point until one mod deleted the thread.

I don't know when some of my people will become wise. They allowed few Fulanis here with multiple IDs to be playing with their brains. Where are the Igbos and other people now to push this wonderful thread?

The opposite of this thread was created and they all jumped in pushing such thread. Instead of them to disappear from such threads.

The problem with a lot of igbos on nairaland politics section is that they are very emotional and not rational in their ways.

But sometimes you cant blame them for fighting back on anti Igbo threads because if you DONT challenge those falsehood perpetuated against Igbos, it will automatically become truth to Nigerians.

In some ways Anti Igbo threads is guaranteed to get more response because left unchallenged, Nigerians will put it in their official history...lol

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 03, 2021
it gets even better, when you check the number and rate of registered companies before 1967, you find out that the East was leading.
we had a gas pipeline in the East before any other region, shell headquarters was in owerri, Pz had it's first plant in Aba, The first pharmaceutical company was in Aba and many more.
We lost indeginious firms to the war of 1966-1970.Most of them and markets in the East was burned out.
And that is why we have to be careful given the present situation of things in the East.
Currently now, the East is Nigeria's indeginious automobile manufacturing powerhouse . And in years to come the East will be a major gas hub in the country and also a major Aviation servicing hub, not to talk of the ever growing indeginious companies in the region .
We don't have to give this guys a reason to once again burn down all our efforts. Most of this Nigerians aren't happy to see the East growing in leaps and bounds since the last ten years.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by oluztx: 6:18pm On Jun 03, 2021
Even a foreigner in Nigeria can tell Igbos are the richest by how well fed and fresh they look, and assets owned. Afonjas that look malnourished and sick have higher standard of living than Igbos? These people ehn!

Afonjas are always plotting to destroy Igbos, they will go as far as editing wikipedia and using Adobe software to edit old pdf files to make Igbos appear as though they are the ones that need Nigeria. Just look at the news and threads on the propaganda going on in the SE on IPOB/ESN, it's done by afonjas to make sure ESN is disbanded for Fulani to come and start slaughtering us like Benue people. I don't know our people cannot see what these people are doing to us.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by horsepower102: 6:24pm On Jun 03, 2021
eduj:
it gets even better, when you check the number and rate of registered companies before 1967, you find out that the East was leading.
we had a gas pipeline in the East before any other region, shell headquarters was in owerri, Pz had it's first plant in Aba, The first pharmaceutical company was in Aba and many more.
We lost indeginious firms to the war of 1966-1970.Most of them and markets in the East was burned out.
And that is why we have to be careful given the present situation of things in the East.
Currently now, the East is Nigeria's indeginious automobile manufacturing powerhouse . And in years to come the East will be a major gas hub in the country and also a major Aviation servicing hub, not to talk of the ever growing indeginious companies in the region .
We don't have to give this guys a reason to once again burn down all our efforts. Most of this Nigerians aren't happy to see the East growing in leaps and bounds since the last ten years.

They won’t succeed. Times have changed. I say this confidently because the depth of the Igbo diaspora all over the world that is always willing to invest and rebuild Igboland if the call arises.

Just one development fund targeted at Igboland alone can build all the major infrastructures that we need.

So it will be almost impossible for Nigeria to set us back the way they did in the 60s when we were less travelled and established.

5 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Jamesbally: 6:26pm On Jun 03, 2021
At present, there is serious hunger in the EAST. That's why Biafrans loot a Trailer load of Onions the other day. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Xhuntra: 6:28pm On Jun 03, 2021
Good one igboid. Aphonjas are evil.

5 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Ngorbungor(m): 6:29pm On Jun 03, 2021
The east is doing well, forget all this things your here from the West, North and the "our oyel people" Easterners at present have the largest human capital resources in Nigeria, Our people are allover the country in different field like education, aviation, banking, technology, entertainment, commerce etc. Which make others very uncomfortable "hate" because they can complete

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 03, 2021
horsepower102:

They won’t succeed. Times have changed. I say this confidently because the depth of the Igbo diaspora all over the world that is always willing to invest and rebuild Igboland if the call arises.

Just one development fund targeted at Igboland alone can build all the major infrastructures that we need.

So it will be almost impossible for Nigeria to set us back the way they did in the 60s when we were less travelled and established.
True the Igbo in the diaspora are a great asset to the Igbo nation. They are a part of the reason the SE have reasonably weathered the storm Buhari brought about economically.
And it gladdens me that the invest home mantra is going weight.Any of our brothers still investing millions outside home, hope the are reading the handwriting on the wall ?

6 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Obamaofusa: 6:37pm On Jun 03, 2021
Fulani terrorist thread.
Yoruba nation is here to stay.
God bless Yoruba nation.
God bless Igbo nation.
God bless Hausa nation.
And everybody will live happily ever after. wink
Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by JohnSin97: 6:39pm On Jun 03, 2021
Gives not actual information about the general standard of living.

It's no secret that igbos before the war occupied top positions in government just like the fulani's of today but that is not in anyway representative of the general living standards of igbos or fulani's..........the north has more billionaires but dangote's wealth isn't representative of the general standard of living in the north. The author of this book obviously wanted to paint the igbos in a very positive light......but since we're all wankking off to the "white man's" report below is a colonial report on the ethic make up prisons.... showing that igbos were predominantly jail birds, note that crime rates are usually higher amongst poor individuals, e.g black americans.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 03, 2021
JohnSin97:
Gives not actual information about the general standard of living.

It's no secret that igbos before the war occupied top positions in government just like the fulani's of today but that is not in anyway representative of the general living standards of igbos or fulani's..........the north has more billionaires but dangote's wealth isn't representative of the general standard of living in the north. The author of this book obviously wanted to paint the igbos in a very positive light......but since we're all wankking off to the "white man's" report below is a colonial report on the ethic make up prisons.... showing that igbos were predominantly jail birds, note that crime rates are usually higher amongst poor individuals, e.g black americans.

what's the name of this book

4 Likes

Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by fuckboys: 6:50pm On Jun 03, 2021
Wow
Re: High Standard Of Living Of Igbos Before The Civil War by OsuAmaka: 6:54pm On Jun 03, 2021
Very dull, dumb and mentally lazy bunch of Igbos grin grin grin

The previous thread was a detailed research on the average household in the east. It highlighted a huge poverty index of an average ibo with a meagre low income per annum.
Your thread is a mere ego tripping exercise aimed at consoling your battered ego. The screenshot you provided concentrate only on the overall population of ibos.
Nigeria has the highest population in Africa, highest number of scholars, professionals, professors, artisans etc YET the Poverty Capital of the World.
Such is the true story of ibos, the highest number of civil servants yet the poorest per household.

-Osu amaka

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Recruits 423 Fire-Officials, Boosts Fire-Fighting Capacity / See A Nigerian Governor In Okija Shrine / 2333

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.