Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,484 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another (1655 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 8:25pm On Mar 30, 2021
On a lighter note

From knowing someone's name/surname, you can know his tribe. This phenomenon is very noticeable especially of you want to tell what somebody's tribe is. But so you know that even within tribes like Igbo and Yoruba, by knowing someone's surname, you can actually tell the person's state of origin. They are certain Igbo and Yoruba names you hear and instantly know the state of Origin of the bearer.

I'm Igbo and so I'll use Igbo as an example since that's the one I'm conversant with

For example: Kalu and Kanu are mostly bore by people from Abia (and the Afikpo South people of Ebonyi like gospel singer Sinach Kalu)

Arinze, Emeka, Okoye, Okolie is mostly Anambra people

Nwosu is Imo and Anambra

Okocha is Anioma (Igbo from Delta)

Egwu and Ekuma are most Ebonyi

My encounter with this phenomenon in Yoruba land was when I told my friend about my boss and how my boss has a rebellious nature. When I told him the surname of my boss is Onifade, he said and I quote, "No wonder, he is an Ekiti man".

Another example is Adeleke which is mostly Osun

Can you give us more examples? Let's enlighten ourselves

1 Like

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by OlawaleBammie: 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2021
ThumbzTNA:
On a lighter note

From knowing someone's name/surname, you can know his tribe. This phenomenon is very noticeable especially of you want to tell what somebody's tribe is. But so you know that even within tribes like Igbo and Yoruba, by knowing someone's surname, you can actually tell the person's state of origin. They are certain Igbo and Yoruba names you hear and instantly know the state of Origin of the bearer.

I'm Igbo and so I'll use Igbo as an example since that's the one I'm conversant with

For example: Kalu and Kanu are mostly bore by people from Abia (and the Afikpo South people of Ebonyi like gospel singer Sinach Kalu)

Nwosu is Imo and Anambra

My encounter with this phenomenon in Yoruba land was when I told my friend about my boss and how my boss has a rebellious nature. When I told him the surname of my boss is Onifade, he said and I quote, "No wonder, he is an Ekiti man".

Oga clean ur mouth, being named Onifade doesnt mean u re from Ekiti alone, and we the ekitis are not rebellious.

See, Apartfrom ijebu that bears something like sho sho sho(like shoyoye, sholade, shoyemi etc) all other Yorubas bears names from any angle of pronunciation and spellings and a particular name is not ascribed to a particular region.

My name is Wale, i am from ekiti, and dont be suprised wen u see a kogi man bears Wale, u can even see a benin Republic yoruba man bearing wale, so in yoruba, name is not ascribed to a region.

The only thing i cant debate on is dat names are in those days given based on bravery and gallantry of a particular tribe or clan

Okun o

1 Like

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by clockwisereport: 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2021
Ugwu, Ugwuonah, Onah, ugwueze, ugwuodo, Odo or Odoh, Ugwuja, Ezema, Attamah, Attah, Omeje, Asogwa, Attah, Arji, Agbo, Onuh, Ojobor, Okoro, Ugwuoke, Enoja, Onoja, Ozioko, Oyima, Ekowo, Oloto, Ugwuanyi, Ogbu Obetta, Abonyi, Ayogu,Nnadi, Omeke, Ngwu, Eleh are all Nsukka names.

Onuh and Ojobor are common in Enugu Ezike and Udenu area of Nsukka.

Enugu ezike people also bear Arji and Omeh

Abonyi is common in Opi and some parts of Isiuzo

Some Lejja names do not sound like Nsukka names. They include Okobo, Ezeamigi, Iyanyi, Opata, Ekoli, Ozota and Ogota

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 8:51pm On Mar 30, 2021
clockwisereport:
Ugwu, Ugwuonah, Onah, ugwueze, ugwuodo, Odo or Odoh, Ugwuja, Ezema, Attamah, Attah, Omeje, Asogwa, Attah, Arji, Agbo, Onuh, Ojobor, Okoro, Ugwuoke, Enoja, Onoja, Ozioko, Oyima, Ekowo, Oloto, Ugwuanyi, Ogbu Obetta, Abonyi, Ayogu,Nnadi, Omeke, Ngwu, Eleh are all Nsukka names.

Onuh and Ojobor are common in Enugu Ezike and Udenu area of Nsukka.

Enugu ezike people also bear Arji and Omeh

Abonyi is common in Opi and some parts of Isiuzo

Some Lejja names do not sound like Nsukka names. They include Okobo, Ezeamigi, Iyanyi, Opata, Ekoli, Ozota and Ogota

Yeah. I noticed that most people that bear names that contain Ugwu are from Enugwu state. some people from Ebonyi too bear Ugwu but I've never seen anyone from Anambra or Imo bear the name

I've seen an Nnadi from Imo though

Another thing I noticed is that people from Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi don't bear names that contain Osu. It's mostly people from Imo, Anambra and Anioma

cheers

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 8:58pm On Mar 30, 2021
OlawaleBammie:

Oga clean ur mouth, being named Onifade doesnt mean u re from Ekiti alone, and we the ekitis are not rebellious.

See, Apartfrom ijebu that bears something like sho sho sho(like shoyoye, sholade, shoyemi etc) all other Yorubas bears names from any angle of pronunciation and spellings and a particular name is not ascribed to a particular region.

My name is Wale, i am from ekiti, and dont be suprised wen u see a kogi man bears Wale, u can even see a benin Republic yoruba man bearing wale, so in yoruba, name is not ascribed to a region.

The only thing i cant debate on is dat names are in those days given based on bravery and gallantry of a particular tribe or clan

Okun o

In the abundance of wisdom you have, you should know we are referring to surnames

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by clockwisereport: 9:00pm On Mar 30, 2021
ThumbzTNA:

Yeah. I noticed that most people that bear names that contain Ugwu are from Enugwu state. some people from Ebonyi too bear Ugwu but I've never seen anyone from Anambra or Imo bear the name

I've seen an Nnadi from Imo though

Another thing I noticed is that people from Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi don't bear names that contain Osu. It's mostly people from Imo, Anambra and Anioma

cheers

ugwu can mean two things depending on how you stress it.

Ugwu (hill or mountain) is an Nsukka name.

Ugwu(respect) is an Ebonyi name. I have even seen an Abia person that bears Ugwu(respect)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 9:06pm On Mar 30, 2021
clockwisereport:

ugwu can mean two things depending on how you stress it.

Ugwu (hill or mountain) is an Nsukka name.

Ugwu(respect) is an Ebonyi name. I have even seen an Abia person that bears Ugwu(respect)

Yeah. Exactly. Respect or pride (as regards it's meaning in Ebonyi and Abia)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by Resurrection212: 9:10pm On Mar 30, 2021
It seems you are from Anambra I can see your hatred against mbaise people.
ThumbzTNA:
On a lighter note

Nwosu is Imo and Anambra

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by OlawaleBammie: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2021
ThumbzTNA:

In the abundance of wisdom you have, you should know we are referring to surnames

No difference bro
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by a4cube: 9:15pm On Mar 30, 2021
ThumbzTNA:

Yeah. Exactly. Respect or pride (as regards it's meaning in Ebonyi and Abia)
Most of the names are short form. Ugwu may be Ugwuegbu, Arinze, Emeka and Okolie full Imo state. Okoye is mostly Anambra.
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 9:19pm On Mar 30, 2021
a4cube:
Most of the names are short form. Ugwu may be Ugwuegbu, Arinze, Emeka and Okolie full Imo state. Okoye is mostly Anambra.

Maybe Okolie and Emeka

but Arinze? I have never seen an Arinze that wasn't from Anambra
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by haffaze777(m): 10:03pm On Mar 30, 2021
OlawaleBammie:

Okun o

The bold is wrong,we have hundred of thousands sho I'm Abeokuta,name like showami,showunmi,sholaja,shokunbi,shogbade,shodeke and shokenu
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 10:06pm On Mar 30, 2021
haffaze777:

The bold is wrong,we have hundred of thousands sho I'm Abeokuta,name like showami,showunmi,sholaja,shokunbi,shogbade,shodeke and shokenu

I'll assume Sho is an Ogun state thing
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by OlawaleBammie: 10:16pm On Mar 30, 2021
haffaze777:

In wat way am i wrong bro??
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by theTranslator: 10:27pm On Mar 30, 2021
Faleke fayemi fawole Ekiti
Shoyinka shodeke Abeokuta Ogun
Ogundepo Oguntoyinbo ogunleye Ogun
Adeleke adeosun adelaja Osun
Adeyemi adeyemo oyo
Oyedepo Oyedeko. Kwara
delpee:

Those names are not strictly limited to the specified states.
Yeah
It is just more popular in those places

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by delpee(f): 10:56pm On Mar 30, 2021
theTranslator:
Faleke fayemi fawole Ekiti
Shoyinka shodeke Abeokuta Ogun
Ogundepo Oguntoyinbo ogunleye Ogun
Adeleke adeosun adelaja Osun
Adeyemi adeyemo oyo

Those names are not strictly limited to the specified states.
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by a4cube: 6:54am On Mar 31, 2021
ThumbzTNA:

Maybe Okolie and Emeka

but Arinze? I have never seen an Arinze that wasn't from Anambra
I have a town guy that is Arinze.
Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by ThumbzTNA(m): 9:38am On Apr 01, 2021
Resurrection212:
It seems you are from Anambra I can see your hatred against mbaise people.

1. I'm not from Anambra
2. I don't hate Mbaise

3. You are a well known Afonja who disguise as Igbo and you have been exposed before in this forum. Avoid me

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba & Igbo Names. And Their State Of Origin. Let's Enlighten One Another by cocolacec(m): 8:33am On Apr 06, 2021
ThumbzTNA:
On a lighter note

Nwosu is Imo and Anambra

Yoruba names are derived from family background,Trade,Spiritual/Religion,circumstances of birth,nickname or their community.

For example a name with Ade means crown comes from a royal lineage.Fa comes from Ifa means Ifa deity is worshipped in the clan or family, ogundele with ogun deity,sangodeji with sango deity,osunkeye with River goddess(Osun).etc

Kokumo(He will not die),Malomo (dont go)etc are given to Abikus. Abiku refers to the spirits of children who die before reaching puberty;

Another one is twins special name of Taiye and kehinde,idowu and Alaba follows the twins.

Nickname are Akani modo,

Ayantola means he comes from a family of drummers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Criticize Everything? / This India Tribe Has Been Isolated From The Modern World For 55,000 Years / Peter Obi Enjoying Massive Support From The Yorubas In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.