Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad (6351 Views)

Poland Or Germany Or Canada, Which One's Best? / 15 Million Naira Cash Or Relocate To Canada, Which Will You Choose? / U.S.A And CANADA, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by temmy59: 6:23pm On Mar 31, 2021
Assuming, I have the funds to sponsor myself around $35k for study at either UK or Canada..

Which would you advise someone to pursue provided the person primary goal is to stay back and become a permanent resident.

Details reply would be much appreciated..

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by Cousin9999: 7:52pm On Mar 31, 2021
If you're studying for a med profession, you can go anywhere. If you're not, Canada.

That said:
- It's cheaper to fly home from the UK.
- Brits have more class (generally speaking).
- Brits are better educated.
- The UK has more black people.
- The UK has better infrastructure.
- Studying in Canada is a more guaranteed path to citizenship. The UK baits and switches to get your money.
- Canada has more paths to citizenship, like regional immigration.
- Canada's Caribana is much larger than Notting Hill. grin
- Canada gives you easy access to America.
- Both places have tons of beautiful African and Caribbean women.
- Both places are pretty racist, but it seems the UK likes to deny it more, so I guess Canada puts you in a better position to fight it. But I'm not aware of a lot of related legal activity.
- Your children's connection to their culture will be about the same in both places, but the UK has edge. In Canada, they're more likely to be influenced by dûmb Americans.

23 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 8:48pm On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:
If you're studying for a med profession, you can go anywhere. If you're not, Canada.

That said:
- Studying in Canada is a more guaranteed path to citizenship. The UK baits and switches to get your money.
- Both places are pretty racist, but it seems the UK likes to deny it more, so I guess Canada puts you in a better position to fight it. But I'm not aware of a lot of related legal activity.
- Your children's connection to their culture will be about the same in both places, but the UK has edge. In Canada, they're more likely to be influenced by dûmb Americans.
some of what you wrote there are not true.If you must know majority of international students in uk process canada express entry after graduation. He get why

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by temmy59: 9:13pm On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:

That said:

The UK baits and switches to get your money. this was what I was telling an agent I consulted for some information.. UK always switch things up and stories I heard about getting PR there is not nice.

I don't want to invest my money and time where am less likely to get PR. But I would prefer UK more culture and less cold.

I really appreciate the time you took to make this input. Much appreciated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by MichaelUde: 7:15am On Apr 01, 2021
The UK student visa process is more straightforward and certain (as well as cash-intensive) - today is 1st April, and with your $35k, you can start making arrangements with your people in the UK if any for a planned arrival in August and you have a 95% chance of keeping to those arrangements, all other things remaining equal.

You have only a 25% chance of getting a Canadian student's visa, so you weigh that. The standard UK 1 year masters degree is effectively 9 months - you can complete that and the average person who has embarked upon the Canadian student's visa process will still be waiting or will have already gone through at least one rejection.

On the other hand, if you do manage to get a Canadian student's visa, you have a clearer and way better path to permanent residence than in the UK.

Pros and cons full everywhere.

16 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by temmy59: 8:01am On Apr 01, 2021
MichaelUde:
The UK student visa process is more straightforward and certain (as well as cash-intensive) - today is 1st April, and with your $35k, you can start making arrangements with your people in the UK if any for a planned arrival in August and you have a 95% chance of keeping to those arrangements, all other things remaining equal.

You have only a 25% chance of getting a Canadian student's visa, so you weigh that. The standard UK 1 year masters degree is effectively 9 months - you can complete that and the average person who has embarked upon the Canadian student's visa process will still be waiting or will have already gone through at least one rejection.

On the other hand, if you do manage to get a Canadian student's visa, you have a clearer and a better path to permanent residence than in the UK.

Pros and cons full everywhere.

Thanks very much I really appreciate your input..
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by Nicoswit(m): 8:22am On Apr 01, 2021
ednut1:
some of what you wrote there are not true.If you must know majority of international students in uk process canada express entry after graduation. He get why
Can you expantiate your point
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by BigDawsNet: 8:29am On Apr 01, 2021
Canada has the best Education system in the world

UK certificate is recognize and respected around the world

If you wanna stay and get ur self a PR
Canada will be you choice

Just know it's very expensive

6 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by MichaelUde: 9:57am On Apr 01, 2021
There is nothing special about the Canadian educational system.

The average UK university has a much more diverse student body than most Canadian universities and the UK economy and job market is larger than anything Canada has to offer. The student experience, at least pre-covid, was and will be miles better in the UK than in Canada, which is basically very provincial.
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 12:07pm On Apr 01, 2021
Nicoswit:

Can you expantiate your point
after studying in uk you are likely to end back in 9ja. To get job or work visa after na die

6 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ttmacoy: 8:11pm On Apr 01, 2021
Ideally I will agree with you but poster should take into consideration that thigs are changing following the UKs exit from the EU as they are now moving towards a point based system like Canada. Previously we were at the bottom of the barrel given Eu citizens from 20+ countries had free movement and priority.

This is not me saying UK over Canada, just a point to be taken into consideration.

ednut1:
after studying in uk you are likely to end back in 9ja. To get job or work visa after na die
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 8:16pm On Apr 01, 2021
ttmacoy:
Ideally I will agree with you but poster should take into consideration that thigs are changing following the UKs exit from the EU as they are now moving towards a point based system like Canada. Previously we were at the bottom of the barrel given Eu citizens from 20+ countries had free movement and priority.

This is not me saying UK over Canada, just a point to be taken into consideration.

point system that majority cant qualify for. Phd, stem, job offer with a certain salary cap, abeg o

1 Like

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ttmacoy: 2:15am On Apr 02, 2021
I don't know all the details of the new programs and I expect things will continue to evolve as the UK fully disengages from the EU, but as I said it's for poster to take into consideration not that I am saying UK over Canada.

ednut1:
point system that majority cant qualify for. Phd, stem, job offer with a certain salary cap, abeg o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by temmy59: 3:50am On Apr 02, 2021
Thank you for your input so far..
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by snowlordng(m): 5:31am On Apr 02, 2021
Go for Canada ...no talk say I no tell you ...UK will only take your money and send you bk to naija ...Canada will offer you everything and also give you citizenship within short period of time and you will also have access to USA ...what else do you want ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by temmy59: 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2021
snowlordng:
Go for Canada ...no talk say I no tell you ...UK will only take your money and send you bk to naija ...Canada will offer you everything and also give you citizenship within short period of time and you will also have access to USA ...what else do you want ?

Chances of getting canada admissions is low. And long time frame
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by snowlordng(m): 4:23pm On Apr 05, 2021
temmy59:

false ...research about Nigeria express requirement for Canada study visa

3 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by bluestone2015: 5:47pm On Apr 05, 2021
If I were you, I'll go to Canada.

1 Like

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by abbyode(m): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2021
No time to waste time... Just go to Canada. UK doesn't have a clear path to citizenship. Get Canadian citizenship and the whole world including UK is at your fingertips.

4 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ENG0701: 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2021
temmy59:

And if you get admission, you may be denied visa. I think UK is easier, but if I were in his shoes, I will choose Canada.
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 7:35pm On Apr 05, 2021
I would choose the UK based on distance alone.

Long flights are just not cool.

1 Like

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by jeraw: 7:36am On Apr 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
I would choose the UK based on distance alone.

Long flights are just not cool.
In comparison with long road trips on nigerian roads, which would be more gruelling Sir?? grin

1 Like

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 8:33am On Apr 06, 2021
jeraw:
In comparison with long road trips on nigerian roads, which would be more gruelling Sir?? grin

For “me” the eighteen hours flights are more grueling.

If I was to do it all over again I’ll choose Spain or Italy.

2 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by Gwan2(m): 8:42pm On Nov 04, 2021
abbyode:
No time to waste time... Just go to Canada. UK doesn't have a clear path to citizenship. Get Canadian citizenship and the whole world including UK is at your fingertips.

I am just reading this thread....To make things a bit clear to you, everyone intending to have a Canadian PR MUST apply through express entry. So literally, if you studied in Somalia, UK, US, Nigeria or CANADA, you all have an almost equal level base of application for PR. Now, there are some factors that add points to your application and will guaranteed your PR if you meet those points. you can go to the canadian express entry thread to get more info on that.

The point of my post is that, your MSc education acquired in Canada ONLY adds 2 points to the overall points needed for PR qualification, this is almost insignificant especially when you need lots of points. Now, this is the only advantage you have over someone that studied elsewhere other than canada with regards to education and PR Points.

The major advantage an international canadian student will have over his contemporaries is the advantage of being in Canada and having direct or physical assess to employers for job application and applying for jobs to differnt provinces. The application for jobs can be done by anyone outside canada as well, but I think the person legally inside canada will be giving priority assuming all applicants have same qualification, that's the only advantage here. If you are fortunate to secure employment or any province nominate you based on your application, then it is almost guaranteed that you will be call to apply for PR.

Summarily, you can still be in UK and apply for Canadian PR just like the student in canada will do with little advantage of educational point, except if he is fortunate to secure employment or get nominated by a province which you could as well benefit without studying in Canada. By the way, if anyone have to hope on fate to secure employment in canada that will boost his express entry points, why not hope on fate to secure employment after study in UK and secure your indefinite leave after 5yrs of stay in UK..this years include your duration of studies and employment years in UK?

I felt the need to contribute because I know someone in future, maybe my son will google the pros and cons of this topic discussed and be enlightened just like I stumbled on a thread dated 10years back, and it was helpful.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 2:31am On Nov 05, 2021
Gwan2:

I am just reading this thread....To make things a bit clear to you, everyone intending to have a Canadian PR MUST apply through express entry. So literally, if you studied in Somalia, UK, US, Nigeria or CANADA, you all have an almost equal level base of application for PR. Now, there are some factors that add points to your application and will guaranteed your PR if you meet those points. you can go to the canadian express entry thread to get more info on that.

The point of my post is that, your MSc education acquired in Canada ONLY adds 2 points to the overall points needed for PR qualification, this is almost insignificant especially when you need lots of points. Now, this is the only advantage you have over someone that studied elsewhere other than canada with regards to education and PR Points.

The major advantage an international canadian student will have over his contemporaries is the advantage of being in Canada and having direct or physical assess to employers for job application and applying for jobs to differnt provinces. The application for jobs can be done by anyone outside canada as well, but I think the person legally inside canada will be giving priority assuming all applicants have same qualification, that's the only advantage here. If you are fortunate to secure employment or any province nominate you based on your application, then it is almost guaranteed that you will be call to apply for PR.

Summarily, you can still be in UK and apply for Canadian PR just like the student in canada will do with little advantage of educational point, except if he is fortunate to secure employment or get nominated by a province which you could as well benefit without studying in Canada. By the way, if anyone have to hope on fate to secure employment in canada that will boost his express entry points, why not hope on fate to secure employment after study in UK and secure your indefinite leave after 5yrs of stay in UK..this years include your duration of studies and employment years in UK?

I felt the need to contribute because I know someone in future, maybe my son will google the pros and cons of this topic discussed and be enlightened just like I stumbled on a thread dated 10years back, and it was helpful.
the Canada masters gives 30 extra points not 2

2 Likes

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by Gwan2(m): 5:33am On Nov 05, 2021
ednut1:
the Canada masters gives 30 extra points not 2

Ok, Thanks…though the 2 points I meant was among the overall points required to be eligible for federal skilled worker application or provincial nominations, which is the first step requirement for express entry application.

The 30 points you emphasised is on the CRS tool, which is rightly so as well.

In all, my emphasis was you could study anywhere and smash express entry requirements which your Canadian counterpart will likewise be obligated to meet.
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by naijaman3: 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2021
Gwan2:

Bro, your analysis and conclusion that when it comes to PR through the express entry, someone that studied outside of Canada has equal level base with another person that studied in Canada is incorrect for the following reasons:

1. Considering that after you completed your studies in Canada, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) to gain work experience which you can in turn use to apply for PR through the Canadian Work Experience Class. The person that studied outside of Canada can not have PGWP and as a result will not have Canadian experience needed to be able to apply through the Canadian Work Experience Class. Note that job offer is not required for this pathway.

2. Some provinces also have special pathway to PR for people that graduated from their provinces. Again, a person that studied outside of Canada does not have that opportunity. Granted, you need to study in that province to qualify but at least you can narrow your schooling to such provinces when applying to study. Note that I am not talking about the generic Provincial Nomination Pathway here. For this special provincial nomination, you must have completed your studies in the province that have this program in place.

3. See the link here for more options that someone who studied in Canada has over and above the options everybody else has:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation.html

Gwan2:

By the way, if anyone have to hope on fate to secure employment in canada that will boost his express entry points, why not hope on fate to secure employment after study in UK and secure your indefinite leave after 5yrs of stay in UK..this years include your duration of studies and employment years in UK?

As for the above, this is misinformation. The time you spent on your student visa (about 4 or 5 years for first degree and 1 or 2 years for Masters and 3 or more years for PhD) and on graduate work visa ( 2 or 3 years work visa as the case may be) does not count toward the 5 years needed to secure indefinite leave. See the link here for the time on other visa that counts towards your indefinite leave: https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa/time-uk

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 05, 2021
Gwan2:

Ok, Thanks…though the 2 points I meant was among the overall points required to be eligible for federal skilled worker application or provincial nominations, which is the first step requirement for express entry application.

The 30 points you emphasised is on the CRS tool, which is rightly so as well.

In all, my emphasis was you could study anywhere and smash express entry requirements which your Canadian counterpart will likewise be obligated to meet.
you have no working knowledge of express entry. Any tom dick and harry can score 67 needed. If you have 68 but your cre scores is 310 it’s useless anyways
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by ednut1(m): 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2021
naijaman3:

Bro, your analysis and conclusion that when it comes to PR through the express entry, someone that studied outside of Canada has equal level base with another person that studied in Canada is incorrect for the following reasons:

1. Considering that after you completed your studies in Canada, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) to gain work experience which you can in turn use to apply for PR through the Canadian Work Experience Class. The person that studied outside of Canada can not have PGWP and as a result will not have Canadian experience needed to be able to apply through the Canadian Work Experience Class. Note that job offer is not required for this pathway.

2. Some provinces also have special pathway to PR for people that graduated from their provinces. Again, a person that studied outside of Canada does not have that opportunity. Granted, you need to study in that province to qualify but at least you can narrow your schooling to such provinces when applying to study. Note that I am not talking about the generic Provincial Nomination Pathway here. For this special provincial nomination, you must have completed your studies in the province that have this program in place.

3. See the link here for more options that someone who studied in Canada has over and above the options everybody else has:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation.html

As for the above, this is misinformation. The time you spent on your student visa (about 4 or 5 years for first degree and 1 or 2 years for Masters and 3 or more years for PhD) and on graduate work visa ( 2 or 3 years work visa as the case may be) does not count toward the 5 years needed to secure indefinite leave. See the link here for the time on other visa that counts towards your indefinite leave: https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa/time-uk

the guy conclusion and explanations just tire me
Re: UK Or Canada Which Should I Choose; Study Abroad by Gwan2(m): 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2021
naijaman3:

I am more enlightened now…thanks. I will send you a dm.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Living In Croatia - Work And Study Route / What Is The Best Hotel In Nigeria? / How Do I Get Bus From Abuja To Minna Or Kontagora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.