Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

The PAJERO Club - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The PAJERO Club (10436 Views)

Is The Mitsubishi Pajero 2007 Great As A First Car. / 2020 4th Generation Mitsubishi Pajero Sport SUV Launched In Lagos / The Unmatching Beauty Of MITSUBISHI PAJERO 2017 MODEL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 12:42pm On Mar 11, 2023
Good afternoon folks. Update. I notice a slight slip in my transmission. Most people would not notice it. I did.
I drained the transmission and put 4 liters in. I will drain and fill again in one week and one week later I will repeat. Remove the drain plug let it drain. I am getting a transmission filter and gasket sometime later this month. I will replace the filter then.
Check your fluid it should be bright pink.
The spill was accidental.

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 6:14am On Mar 19, 2023
I did another drain and fill for the transmission. I also changed the oil and filter. I will do a more thorough inspection under the car.
Saw some leaks. I have replacement valve cover gaskets. The transmission pan needs to come down. I will replace the filter when I do that. Noticed another torn boot. The car should have some grease points. I will find a service manual to allow me to do that.
Power steering flush, front and rear differential and transfer case fluid replacement is next. I would have completed the full fluid replacement with that.
When I do the valve cover gaskets I will replace the spark plugs.
I will have the belts replaced at a later date.
So far so good. You do these services for peace of mind.
Summary of what I have done so far.
Cooling system flush. Prestone radiator flush, drain then liqui Molly flush, drain. Distilled water drain. Then Prestone 50 50 coolant.
Liqui Molly engine flush. Oil change Rotella T6 15W40 and new filter. 800 km another oil and filter change. Oil smells like gasoline when it came out. Good sign it is doing its job. Might also need to check PCV.
Transmission drain and fill. More than 60 % of old fluid is in the torque converter and lines. Did a second yesterday so I have more new fluid than old. Next time will remove the pan and replace the filter.
Techron total system fuel treatment 12 Oz in the tank.
New air filter. Old one was disgusting.
New Tyres. General Tyre.
Many more things are planned. The torn boot will be done by Tuesday.
Re: The PAJERO Club by AutoMoTech(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
chris81964:
I did another drain and fill for the transmission. I also changed the oil and filter. I will do a more thorough inspection under the car.
Saw some leaks. I have replacement valve cover gaskets. The transmission pan needs to come down. I will replace the filter when I do that. Noticed another torn boot. The car should have some grease points. I will find a service manual to allow me to do that.
Power steering flush, front and rear differential and transfer case fluid replacement is next. I would have completed the full fluid replacement with that.
When I do the valve cover gaskets I will replace the spark plugs.
I will have the belts replaced at a later date.
So far so good. You do these services for peace of mind.
Summary of what I have done so far.
Cooling system flush. Prestone radiator flush, drain then liqui Molly flush, drain. Distilled water drain. Then Prestone 50 50 coolant.
Liqui Molly engine flush. Oil change Rotella T6 15W40 and new filter. 800 km another oil and filter change. Oil smells like gasoline when it came out. Good sign it is doing its job. Might also need to check PCV.
Transmission drain and fill. More than 60 % of old fluid is in the torque converter and lines. Did a second yesterday so I have more new fluid than old. Next time will remove the pan and replace the filter.
Techron total system fuel treatment 12 Oz in the tank.
New air filter. Old one was disgusting.
New Tyres. General Tyre.
Many more things are planned. The torn boot will be done by Tuesday.
Welldone chief.
How much has this cost so far?
Re: The PAJERO Club by AutoMoTech(m): 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2023
chris81964:
Good afternoon folks. Update. I notice a slight slip in my transmission. Most people would not notice it. I did.
I drained the transmission and put 4 liters in. I will drain and fill again in one week and one week later I will repeat. Remove the drain plug let it drain. I am getting a transmission filter and gasket sometime later this month. I will replace the filter then.
Check your fluid it should be bright pink.
The spill was accidental.
Any update on the bolded?

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 7:34pm On Mar 19, 2023
AutoMoTech:

Welldone chief.
How much has this cost so far?
A bit more than I should spend #715350 of which #370000 was for Tyres.
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 7:35pm On Mar 19, 2023
AutoMoTech:

Any update on the bolded?
The slip is gone. The original fluid was not in the best shape. I am not even sure it was the correct specification. What came out yesterday was much better. I will do one more drain and I should be good to go.
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 5:02pm On Mar 26, 2023
Replaced the fuel filler and radiator cap. I would smell coolant and there were no visible leaks. In traffic the temperature Guage will nudge up making me to turn off the AC. The cap is pressure rated and it was no longer doing its job. I pushed on it and it was stiff and made squeaky noises. Temp Guage has remained steady and no more coolant smell. There was always a loud hissing / whoosh sound when I removed the gas cap. It also had tape all over. The next refill I will check for the noise.
I also got an alignment done after replacing the steering boot on both sides.
Re: The PAJERO Club by AutoMoTech(m): 5:32pm On Mar 26, 2023
chris81964:
Replaced the fuel filler and radiator cap. I would smell coolant and there were no visible leaks. In traffic the temperature Guage will nudge up making me to turn off the AC. The cap is pressure rated and it was no longer doing its job. I pushed on it and it was stiff and made squeaky noises. Temp Guage has remained steady and no more coolant smell. There was always a loud hissing / whoosh sound when I removed the gas cap. It also had tape all over. The next refill I will check for the noise.
I also got an alignment done after replacing the steering boot on both sides.

nice one

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 9:22pm On Apr 05, 2023
Another update.
Replaced the thermostat. When the housing was opened, it was hollow. I was still loosing coolant, two cracked hoses entering the fire wall to the heater core were the culprit. The new radiator cap allowed pressure to build and that exposed that problem.
The valve covers were leaking. So while we were there we changed the spark plugs to platinum. The old plugs were very worn, cleaned the valve cover with carb cleaner. Also replaced the spark plug tube rubber. We also cleaned the intake manifold and the throttle body. They were very dirty.
I replaced the rear shocks. I

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 9:25pm On Apr 05, 2023
The other item done. Kyb shocks

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 5:48pm On Apr 06, 2023
Did the front shocks today. Did not think that they were bad. When it was pushed in, it did not immediately rebound. With no weight no rebound.
4 new shocks. Brakes are next.

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 5:49pm On Apr 06, 2023
The old strut

Re: The PAJERO Club by oneman11(m): 4:57pm On Apr 07, 2023
weldone. nice progress
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2023
olumzzz:

Nice.
Any reason why it wasn't going past 120?
Bad spark plugs. Had them changed last week. They were in really bad shape. The electrodes had cracked. I have platinum plugs now.
I took a business trip to Ibadan. I hit 150 today.. I was constantly doing over 120. The transmission is downshifting faster too.
I need rotors and pads. Some vibration when I hit the brakes. They were in the plans. The price of #100k for the parts has me pausing. I will look for performance upgrades for that price.
Thanks for reading.

Re: The PAJERO Club by olumzzz(m): 4:24pm On Apr 10, 2023
chris81964:

Bad spark plugs. Had them changed last week. They were in really bad shape. The electrodes had cracked. I have platinum plugs now.
I took a business trip to Ibadan. I hit 150 today.. I was constantly doing over 120. The transmission is downshifting faster too.
I need rotors and pads. Some vibration when I hit the brakes. They were in the plans. The price of #100k for the parts has me pausing. I will look for performance upgrades for that price.
Thanks for reading.
Wawu,
If only the previous owner had maintenance history, you would've known the plugs were due for replacement
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 4:38pm On Apr 10, 2023
olumzzz:

Wawu,
If only the previous owner had maintenance history, you would've known the plugs were due for replacement
The vehicle was neglected after Schneider sold it. I am doing a lot of deferred maintenance. Power steering and brake fluid flush. AT filter change., transfer case, front and rear differential fluid change. Then grease the areas that require it.
Then minor body work and I am done for a while. Thank you for commenting.
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 6:08pm On May 05, 2023
I have finally done it. This was supposed to have been done the first week I owned the Pajero.

Today I changed the brake fluid. I removed and replaced 24 oz of fluids. I did not do it as I wanted. I did not bleed the corners.
I flushed the power steering. Removed all the fluid in the reservoir. Disconnected the reservoir and cleaned it. It has a screen at the bottom. I put back reservoir and left the return line unconnected. Filled the reservoir and turned the steering from lock to lock. Kept topping up and repeating till the fluid that was coming out was pink. It took about 1.5 liters. The original fluid was very dark.
Drained the transfer case. The fluid looked okay but the drain plug had a lot of crud on it.
Drained the front and rear differential used GL-4 90 W oil. It calls for GL-5. The fluid in the rear diff looked bad and the drain plug had so much crud on it. The front was not too bad.

Last week I did the seafoam treatment. In the gas tank, the crankcase and the intake. I got a good smoke show. Doing the seafoam through the intake caused the check engine light to come on. It is off now. The MAF sensor was the culprit. I am hoping to see an improvement in my gas mileage. 13 miles to the gallon is atrocious. I also have a lead foot.

I have finally changed all the fluids. I did engine oil twice, coolant too many times to count. Transmission twice. Next service I will replace the filter and fluid.

Since my last update the heater core failed, and the vehicle was blowing coolant through the AC drain. And into the passenger compartment. I plugged of the pipes. We don't need heat and when I get cold I will use the seat warmers.

Timing belt, water pump, belts and tensioner are next. The front brake pads and rotors will also be replaced.

I ordered LED light bulbs and interior lights on Amazon. Once they get here I will install them and share pictures.

Body work will come later. I intend to replace the two front fenders. The repairs that were done were so amateurish.

Thank you for following my journey with my Pajero.

2 Likes

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 6:13pm On May 05, 2023
chris81964:
Did the front shocks today. Did not think that they were bad. When it was pushed in, it did not immediately rebound. With no weight no rebound.
4 new shocks. Brakes are next.
I don't like them. It removed the wandering at speed but it is not firm enough over bumps
Re: The PAJERO Club by AutoMoTech(m): 6:45pm On May 07, 2023
chris81964:

I don't like them. It removed the wandering at speed but it is not firm enough over bumps
you mean you removed the new shocks?

thanks for the updates so far. really enjoying the thread. very rare seeing a deliberate car owner taking great care of their vehicle. at the rate you for don spend enough money to but the car again just on maintenance...

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 12:34pm On May 08, 2023
AutoMoTech:

you mean you removed the new shocks?

thanks for the updates so far. really enjoying the thread. very rare seeing a deliberate car owner taking great care of their vehicle. at the rate you for don spend enough money to but the car again just on maintenance...

I kept the shocks. I am traveling in a few months I will buy new shocks there.
Thank you. I lived outside Nigeria and whenever I purchased a used car with unsure service history. I did all these services. It is cheap insurance.

2 Likes

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 2:26pm On May 17, 2023
Yesterday my accessory belt broke. On Monday night when I came back I was hearing some noise. The next day it was really bad. I drove the car and very close to my destination the belt snapped.
I am replacing the belt, the tensioner that failed and a pulley.

Re: The PAJERO Club by Shagati(m): 9:17pm On May 18, 2023
Re: The PAJERO Club by Shagati(m): 9:18pm On May 18, 2023
chris81964:
Yesterday my accessory belt broke..........I am replacing the belt, the tensioner that failed and a pulley.

I like how the parts are readily available.
Who/where is your parts plug?
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 9:27am On May 19, 2023
Shagati:

De Great Frank Global Services 08183344035. He is not cheap. He is reliable and honest

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 9:29am On May 19, 2023
Shagati:

De Great Frank Global Services 08183344035. He is not cheap. He is reliable and honest
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 10:32am On Jun 10, 2023
Whose has refueled since gasoline prices went up? Normally 14k to refill. Yesterday over 39k. Ouch.
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 8:26pm On Nov 28, 2023
Update. I have done so much since my last update.
New radiator
Néw ball joints
New tie rod ends
New right wheel bearing
Transmission drained and filled countless time
New shift sensor
New transmission filter
All 6 ignition coils
I have spent half the price of the truck on fuel and maintenance.
I hope to see a big improvement in fuel mileage. The two I initially changde yielded a 15% improvement. I am hoping for a 30% improvement.
That will save me 300k every 10 months.
Next on the list minor body work and a repaint.
My brother leaves his GL and borrows my truck. Mine will get him home all the time.
Re: The PAJERO Club by Shagati(m): 2:58am On Nov 29, 2023
chris81964:
Update.
Transmission drained and filled countless times.

Why?
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 6:21am On Nov 29, 2023
Shagati:

Why?
Initially to remove the old fluid. If you don't flush, you do a drain and fill. Subsequent times the wrong fluid. I followed the manual and it would jump out of gear in the morning till it warmed up. The last drain and fill improved it. One more and I am good to go.
Re: The PAJERO Club by Shagati(m): 3:43pm On Nov 29, 2023
chris81964:

Initially to remove the old fluid. If you don't flush, you do a drain and fill. Subsequent times the wrong fluid. I followed the manual and it would jump out of gear in the morning till it warmed up. The last drain and fill improved it. One more and I am good to go.

Ok, got it

1 Like

Re: The PAJERO Club by AutoMoTech(m): 10:00pm On Nov 29, 2023
chris81964:

care to explain "wrong fluid"? what fluid was that in particular and what fluid corrected the slips?
Re: The PAJERO Club by chris81964(m): 9:33am On Nov 30, 2023
AutoMoTech:

care to explain "wrong fluid"? what fluid was that in particular and what fluid corrected the slips?
The owners manual called for ATF SP 111. I used that. I drained out 4 lliters and added Valvoline Max Life.
Yesterday it performed normally. I changed the coils a day before. Coincidence?
With the old fluid on start up it will jump out of gear and then bang in. It might do it one or two times.
With Maxlife, it did it but not with the jerk and once it engaged it was fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Taxi Brand In Your Town? / Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? / FRSC Set For Nationwide Enforcement Of Speed Limiting Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.