Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? (1434 Views)

Between Pharmacy And Medicine Which Has A Better Work- Life Balance / Which Course Is Lucrative Between Pharmacy And Medicine?? / I Had 291I Need A Counsel On What To Study Between Pharmacy And Dentistry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 6:57am On Apr 05, 2021
Good day Nairalanders!
I have been a member for long but I mostly read comments. I will try and make the story short.
My immediate younger brother applied for pharmacy in OAU but due to his low JAMB score (242) I advice him to change to Medical Rehabilitation but after their screening is out, he was disqualified because of his post UTME score (below average).
After this happened, I sat him down so that we can plan and restrategize. I suggested he go for Computer Science since the cutoff is lower than both of pharmacy and Medical Rehabilitation but he refused! thinking the course is not a great choice. I have been thinking of further ways to persuade him and I can't figure it out! It occurred to me now that I may be wrong too but left to me I will always choose anything that's tech related. The reason why I'm not cool with him going for pharmacy is he must score at least 320 + and high Post UTME score to stand a chance to gain admission unlike Computer Science he can easily get with 270+.
So, Nairalanders, What do you think is the best thing to do? I believe if he goes through the comments here, it will help shape his decision !
Thanks so much.
lalasticlaca please help me push to front page!
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Goldenrod1: 7:33am On Apr 05, 2021
Seriously, don't try to force any course on him

He have a choice to make, let him do what he like but at the same time, educate him about Nigeria admission requirements now for each courses hence he will just be writing jamb and think another way round. Whether he yields to what you are saying or not, his eye will soon clear if he refuse to hear your own

If he wants to apply for csc, I think the subject combination is different from medical related course meaning he will replace Biology with Mathematics in jamb

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by clockwisereport: 7:47am On Apr 05, 2021
He should settle with what he has passion for

1 Like

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by BigDawsNet: 9:57am On Apr 05, 2021
Let him follow his passion

Pharmacy is not a beans course...if you don't have the brains to study medicals don't even give yourself any stress in the duration of your studies....

With computer science you can easily study and have fun without going through stress making good grades...

The most important area of computer science is practical knowledge and no lecturer will give you that...

Goodluck to you bro

3 Likes

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 10:15am On Apr 05, 2021
Goldenrod1:
Seriously, don't try to force any course on him

He have a choice to make, let him do what he like but at the same time, educate him about Nigeria admission requirements now for each courses hence he will just be writing jamb and think another way round. Whether he yields to what you are saying or not, his eye will soon clear if he refuse to hear your own

If he wants to apply for csc, I think the subject combination is different from medical related course meaning he will replace Biology with Mathematics in jamb
Thanks so much for your input.
The main reason why I gave him the advice is because I don't want him to get frustrated with admission process. He's very hard-working and not bad in mathematics. Also there are many averagely good courses one can go for with mathematics combination compared to Biology combination. Those are the things I want him to realize.
Distance is not helping issue too, he stays in Osun while I'm currently Zaria based. I just want the best for him and don't want him to waste another year again.
once again thanks so much.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 10:21am On Apr 05, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Pharmacy is not a beans course...if you don't have the brains to study medicals don't even give yourself any stress in the duration of your studies....

With computer science you can easily study and have fun without going through stress making good grades...

The most important area of computer science is practical knowledge and no lecturer will give you that...

Goodluck to you bro

Thanks so much sir.
One thing is passion, another thing is being realistic! He couldn't even assure me that he can conveniently score 320+ and more that 80% in the post UTME. He's consistent and dedicated. I believe the best he can do now is to go for Computer Science. We can easily enroll him into IT program to compliment it and he will even be making money before graduate unlike if he goes. for Pharmacy.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 10:23am On Apr 05, 2021
lalasticlaca please help me to front page for more suggestions
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by T0BY(m): 11:02am On Apr 05, 2021
Just like others stated, you shouldn't compel him as his passion towards such course is important in this case. Again, computer sc is one of the nice courses currently in Nigeria. if he studies it wholeheartedly, he will never regret.

Best of luck.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ChiefSosa(m): 11:04am On Apr 05, 2021
Banditry
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ChiefSosa(m): 11:04am On Apr 05, 2021
Banditry; It's a very lucrative course. You get paid according to the salary that YOU want!

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2021
ChiefSosa:
Banditry; It's a very lucrative course. You get paid according to the salary that YOU want!
Must everything be taken for granted?
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Joetttimua1811(m): 1:05pm On Apr 05, 2021
For me personally I will prefer pharmacy but then it's individual decision you can always guide him but he remains the one to follow that which he's passionate about.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by BigDawsNet: 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2021
ABSAO:

Thanks so much sir.
One thing is passion, another thing is being realistic! He couldn't even assure me that he can conveniently score 320+ and more that 80% in the post UTME. He's consistent and dedicated. I believe the best he can do now is to go for Computer Science. We can easily enroll him into IT program to compliment it and he will even be making money before graduate unlike if he goes. for Pharmacy.

Good one bro
pls get him a new laptop for daily practice...

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 1:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
Joetttimua1811:
For me personally I will prefer pharmacy but then it's individual decision you can always guide him but he remains the one to follow that which he's passionate about.
Actually, I'm not saying pharmacy is not a good option. we're both concerned about him not losing another year again. The cutoff is too high! And if he doesn't score very high in JAMB with chemistry, physics and Biology combination, he won't be able to change to computer science due to the subject combination issue. He may end up changing to course that's useless in Nigeria! Computer science can never be useless in any country at this age.
At a point in life, one has to let things go to achieve a greater one! passion can be created for anything that will benefit someone! That's what I want him to realize. He's hardworking and even if he reluctantly take my advice now, I know he will thank me more later!
if he wants bigger dream (pharmacy) and he can't boast of scoring 320+ in JAMB, then he should be ready to stand up again if he loses another chance again! bigger dream calls for bigger sacrifice! if he's ready for what I wrote in this paragraph, I won't persuade in again! the determination must be strong! And it won't make sense changing it!
The problem now is, how will know how determined he is when are not currently staying together?! This issue is really burning me within!
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by okrikaboi: 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2021
Na mumu dey go school chai how I wish I knew what I know now I for invest that 400k for my lvl 100. Anyways computer science is far better pharmacy students for my school dry act breaking bad
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by DrBrainstorm(m): 5:50pm On Apr 05, 2021
Computer Science anyday anytime
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ChiefSosa(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2021
ABSAO:

Must everything be taken for granted?
Lol, not at all. They are both great Courses with several benefits that'll last for long. I'll advice you study your bro to know his interests and curiosity; it'll make it easier for him to decide. He can only excel at what he enjoys best. Several folks wasted their time in school studying what they were never interested in due to pressure from others; your bro shouldn't make same mistakes. Ciao!
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2021
wink
grin
@cheif wetin you call yourself so you can give better advice like this? Thanks so much. I really appreciate.
@lalasticlaca please help your boy by moving this to FP for more inputs
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2021
DrBrainstorm:
Computer Science anyday anytime

@Dr. Brainstorm please can you help with some reason why you said CS anytime any day? it will help him in making decisions! I think he's objecting it because he thinks it's a course for the less brilliant students. lolz. If he hear it from someone else, it may clear his illusion.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by merieam16(f): 7:19pm On Apr 05, 2021
Pharmacy ofcos
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Fxwarrior: 8:40pm On Apr 05, 2021
Both are nice courses. He should choose his passion among them.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Fxwarrior: 8:44pm On Apr 05, 2021
ABSAO:
Good day Nairalanders!
I have been a member for long but I mostly read comments. I will try and make the story short.
My immediate younger brother applied for pharmacy in OAU but due to his low JAMB score (242) I advice him to change to Medical Rehabilitation but after their screening is out, he was disqualified because of his post UTME score (below average).
After this happened, I sat him down so that we can plan and restrategize. I suggested he go for Computer Science since the cutoff is lower than both of pharmacy and Medical Rehabilitation but he refused! thinking the course is not a great choice. I have been thinking of further ways to persuade him and I can't figure it out! It occurred to me now that I may be wrong too but left to me I will always choose anything that's tech related. The reason why I'm not cool with him going for pharmacy is he must score at least 320 + and high Post UTME score to stand a chance to gain admission unlike Computer Science he can easily get with 270+.
So, Nairalanders, What do you think is the best thing to do? I believe if he goes through the comments here, it will help shape his decision !
Thanks so much.
lalasticlaca please help me push to front page!

Are you sure his cutoff qualified for any of them.

Your topic is misleading.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Fxwarrior: 8:44pm On Apr 05, 2021
merieam16:
Pharmacy ofcos

Read again.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by merieam16(f): 10:07pm On Apr 05, 2021
Fxwarrior:

Read again.
lolzz..did I read at all

1 Like

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 10:41pm On Apr 05, 2021
Fxwarrior:

Are you sure his cutoff qualified for any of them.

Your topic is misleading.
No sir. He's already disqualified as stated before. we're planning for another JAMB and admission process.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 10:42pm On Apr 05, 2021
merieam16:
Pharmacy ofcos
can you give your reasons please.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Ajibade123(m): 12:17am On Apr 06, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Goodluck to you bro

I just hope you are not a CSC student with all these things you wrote
I wonder how people thinks uni CSC is like secondary school own
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 6:50am On Apr 06, 2021
Ajibade123:

I just hope you have not a CSC student with all these things you wrote
please sir! I will like if you can tell us what CSC in University really mean, the career prospect and more. I will really appreciate that. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by BigDawsNet: 8:20am On Apr 06, 2021
Ajibade123:

I just hope you have not a CSC student with all these things you wrote

Are you a computer science undergraduate and finding it difficult to maintain good grades ?

Out of hundred percent of people that I know studying computer science just 5% are having difficulty.
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by Ajibade123(m): 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2021
ABSAO:

please sir! I will like if you can tell us what CSC in University really mean, the career prospect and more. I will really appreciate that. Thank you.
CSC degree is one of the best course you can study as an undergraduate rn the prospect is very much both at home and abroad
unlike in secondary school CSC is entirely different especially if you go to a good top university...you would be grounded in math at the beginning then you progress to core computer science which include software development, compiler construction, system analysis, data structure and algorithm and so on
Re: Which Course Should He Choose Between Pharmacy And Computer Science? by ABSAO(m): 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2021
Ajibade123:

CSC degree is one of the best course you can study as an undergraduate rn the prospect is very much both at home and abroad
unlike in secondary school CSC is entirely different especially if you go to a good top university...you would be grounded in math at the beginning then you progress to core computer science which include software development, compiler construction, system analysis, data structure and algorithm and so on
Thanks so much for this! this will surely convince him.

(1) (Reply)

Obidients Effortlessly Exposed Another APC Lie / Help Me Heal From This Fear And Get 90k Reward / Ond Graduate With De Wahala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.