Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,691 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business (21300 Views)

Apple Announces Plans To Shut Down The Itunes Music Platform / BBM Consumer Service to Shut Down May 31st, 2019 / Yahoo Messenger To Be Shut Down On July 17 After 20 Years Of Operation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by emmy512: 2:32pm On Apr 05, 2021
1EmmyKay:
LG faded with phones. I guess their HR department for phone were braindead when the likes of Infinix Tecno were innovating with their smarphones to a great taste of the populace in Nigeria
LG was mostly popular with the European market and that's how they lost out .
their phones were made for the europeans as Apple and Samsung already took the US share.
their midrange phones weren't that midrange compared to the midrange devices flooding our African markets now.

I saw the LG thinq range of phones and I'm certain they can go head to head with any Samsung phone before the s21

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by uuzba(m): 2:33pm On Apr 05, 2021
nuelzz04:
LG phones are one of the best honestly... This is really sad for me
Are you the owner of LG that it is sad for you?
Don't be doing like all those girls that enter Uber for N3000, and be behaving as if the N2million car is their own.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 05, 2021
Rocktation:
Funny, I've only really associated South Korea with their filmdom. Lee Min-Ho and cooperation, has refused to allow Nigerians to drink water and keep cup.
cool
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Springboot: 2:42pm On Apr 05, 2021
deji17:
Ah.. LG phones are one of the best.

Did you just type this rubbish or you wanted to write Samsung?
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Offpoint1: 2:44pm On Apr 05, 2021
ogelekpomgam:
Lols.if you come use am for another 20 years,na im be say people no go dey buy much of their electronics.dem fit come fold up everything kpatakpata... grin cheesy
lol
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 3:14pm On Apr 05, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Quite sad. They made madt phones mheen! Like their G series, V series. I think they didn't do enough marketing for their phones because those phones are beast.
Aswear n even cheap sef

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2021
PigTormentor:
As usual, blame. It on Buhari.
This can't happen in "sane climes ".

Na Buhari they give Apple and Samsung monopoly on phone like they gave Dangote.

Only the wise can understand my points.
Lolzzzz!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2021
emmy512:
I'll miss their display. I owned the LG g3 and an opportunity to hold the g4 and I'll say in terms of their display it was topnotch.
they were ahead of their time. but eventually some business fails.

if a Chinese manufacturer should get hold or buys most of LG's smartphone production line , with the right marketing that they do they would certainly be a force to be reckoned with.
You sabi
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 3:21pm On Apr 05, 2021
emmy512:

LG was mostly popular with the European market and that's how they lost out .
their phones were made for the europeans as Apple and Samsung already took the US share.
their midrange phones weren't that midrange compared to the midrange devices flooding our African markets now.

I saw the LG thinq range of phones and I'm certain they can go head to head with any Samsung phone before the s21
You so right
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Josywhyte: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2021
Samsung and iPhone are really sending other phone manufacturers packing
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:34pm On Apr 05, 2021
GorillaApp:
Saw it coming. Wasn't surprised one bit. This decision is best for business.

I just pity for the staff affected.
I read somewhere that staff would be moved to home electronics division.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by BarrElChapo(m): 3:37pm On Apr 05, 2021
Fa agba go oso finally smiley
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:37pm On Apr 05, 2021
Nicklaus619:
They have lost their mojo on mobile phone making long time ago, they are among those tech company that refuse to keep up to technological advancement as such they couldnt keep up to the market competition.
Depends. I love their innovative ideas.
I hope my current LG phone with dual screen lasts long enough. No other phone company has given this type of ease of multitasking on phones with dual screens.
They also created the wide angle lens first on the LGG5, before being copied by other phone companies.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by BarrElChapo(m): 3:38pm On Apr 05, 2021
Please bros dash me the infinix sir, it's my favourite brand smiley

wwwtortoise:
I hae long anticipated this move by LG.

What took you guys so long? I mean with the brands comparative market disadvantage to the likes of Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Infinix & Tecno brothers.

Now Nokia will soon follow suite unless a massive market penetration is activated via

- Affordable high-end mobiles (to compete with the big leagues)

- Aggressive marketing

- Point of sale customer engagement.

PS:
I just ditched my (3weeks old) infinix note7 to get 11pro max. The cost is not pocket friendly but it's worth it.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:42pm On Apr 05, 2021
tribalistseun:
They should just focus on TV and fridge alone and stop this their nonsense phones
LG is one weird company. They also invented the first smart fridge. Then they dropped the idea after it did not sell well.

Samsung on the other hand quickly started producing the same smart fridge and spent tons of money on marketing. Samsung is now the number one brand for smart fridge.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by wwwtortoise(m): 3:43pm On Apr 05, 2021
BarrElChapo:
Please bros dash me the infinix sir, it's my favourite brand smiley

Sorry man, I sold it out to a friend at a giveaway price.
I needed to recoup some money already spent.

Best regards.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by BarrElChapo(m): 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2021
wwwtortoise:

Sorry man, I sold it out to a friend at a giveaway price.
I needed to recoup some money already spent.

Best regards.

You too bro.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by TMKsouth: 3:52pm On Apr 05, 2021
JaceBlaze:
LG was still making phones up to now?

They were being dumped in Nigeria, together with the Technos of this world.

I'd seriously forgotten about LG phones, were they even sold in SA?
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by JohnBullMySon: 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2021
okeyumez:
LG products are over rated.
They failed in phone business due to their inability to embrace innovations and competite favourably with other competitors.
Even in electronics, I see them crashing in future like National, KDK, sharp and others.
They hate market competition
hope you know that kdk and national are part of Panasonic?

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Richthekid: 4:43pm On Apr 05, 2021
It’s not easy
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by hush15: 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
baralatie:
why

Their phones are damaged expensive but no second value. Why would I buy a phone of 75k and you are asking me to come and fix the screen for 50k...
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2021
wwwtortoise:
I hae long anticipated this move by LG.

What took you guys so long? I mean with the brands comparative market disadvantage to the likes of Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Infinix & Tecno brothers.

Now Nokia will soon follow suite unless a massive market penetration is activated via

- Affordable high-end mobiles (to compete with the big leagues)

- Aggressive marketing

- Point of sale customer engagement.

PS:
I just ditched my (3weeks old) infinix note7 to get 11pro max. The cost is not pocket friendly but it's worth it.
The last 3 are not even significant in the scheme of things. In the abroad where mobile phone companies make most of their money due to contracts and yearly upgrades, it's either Samsung or Apple. All others like LG, Huawei, Sony, Motorola are trailing behind. The Infinix, Tecno e.t.c are not even ranked due to their low quality.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Quite sad. They made madt phones mheen! Like their G series, V series. I think they didn't do enough marketing for their phones because those phones are beast.
Yes. They don't market their products as extensively as Samsung or Apple. Samsung has big budget on marketing. You see their adverts in every nook and cranny of the world.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Destinylink(m): 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2021
Sad News! I've been an LG fan for thirteen years and this news made me really sad. I think LG has produced good phones but unfortunately, its brand was not appealing to many people. LG Will be missed!

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:23pm On Apr 05, 2021
Akfrenzy:
they do marketing but their phones are expensive
They are not expensive lol. Have you compared the cost of the LG V-series to Samsung Note series, or the LG G-series to Samsung S-series?

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2021
Destinylink:
Sad News! I've been an LG fan for thirteen years and this news made me really sad. I think LG has produced good phones but unfortunately, its brand was not appealing to many people. LG Will be missed!
I have used LG G3, G5, G8 and now on V60. I would have to go to maybe apple when I am tired of the phone or it breaks and out of warranty.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:28pm On Apr 05, 2021
aaking:
LG phones are useless. I hate lg phones
Not to me. I love to multi task on my V60. I could be twitting and watching YouTube at the same time. I also do lots of online shopping on Amazon. It's easy for me to compare prices and features by having 2 screens side by side.
But the problem lies in that fact that they don't appeal to every one. People prefer stuffs live thin bezel screens or 120hz refresh rates.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by JaceBlaze: 5:28pm On Apr 05, 2021
TMKsouth:

They were being dumped in Nigeria, together with the Technos of this world.

I'd seriously forgotten about LG phones, were they even sold in SA?

Seems like whenever the world no longer see any value in something they dump it in Nigeria...hai man.

I had a GW300 back in 2010,used it up to 2014.I don't know how many models were made and sold in SA since then.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2021
m140:

Aswear n even cheap sef
The V60 only cost $1100. Got it for $700 or so on contract. Samsung S20 was retailing for $1500 around the same time.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Destinylink(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2021
salford1:

I have used LG G3, G5 and now on V60. I would have to go to maybe apple when I am tired of the phone or it breaks and out of warranty.

I don't know the phone brand to switch to yet.
I'm still enjoying my V40 thinQ.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:40pm On Apr 05, 2021
Destinylink:

I don't know the phone brand to switch to yet.
I'm still enjoying my V40 thinQ.
I have never seen a V40 in real life.
The V series are beasts and work horse. They are like trucks of phones.

LG skipped the V40 and V50 thinQ in Canada, and alot of EU countries. LG users were literally begging them to launch those phones in their market, but LG being a weird company did not. Alot of people switched to Samsung during that period. I bought a G8 and managed it, but I knew I was missing out on the V Series which are beast compared to the g-series.

Even the V60. The phone sold out in a few weeks. I bought the last one in my city. After calling almost all phone shops. They only produced a few for markets outside the USA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Xiaomi Launches In Africa To Compete Against Tecno, Itel And Infinix / 6 Ways Excessive Use Of Smartphones Can Kill Us / How To Transfer Airtime From Mtn To Airtel Or Glo To Etisalat And Vice Versa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.