Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms (21999 Views)

SEC Blacklists 6 Online Trading Platforms / Loom Money Nigeria: Crash Of Ponzi Scheme Imminent As SEC Warns Nigerians / SEC On Lockdown Over Attempt To Reinstate Suspended DG, Gwarzo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by blueAgent(m): 11:05am On Apr 09, 2021
ezef2k4:
Chaka, Trove and Bamboo are CSCS certified for stocks listed in the NSE and they have foreign trade partners duly licensed for trade in foreign stocks. I do hope SEC backs down on this. Why is this country hell bent on producing poor citizens.
#sighs#

A quick response from Bamboo is attached.

You dey mind the idiots.

The liquidity in NSE is crap compared to NYSE and NASDAQ.

I need platforms where I can watch my investment grow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by blueAgent(m): 11:07am On Apr 09, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
You sound like a low life fraudster. where did I mention that they should ban crypto? seems your brain doesn't work. for your information I trade crypto and I'm an investor too,
my only concern is sec not doing their work appropriately, they let shady investment schemes thrive to the extent that they scam gullible people, it's after those shady investment schemes run away with people's money that you will hear from them

Is SEC responsible or in charge of regulating forex trading?

1 Like

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by Whois(m): 11:28am On Apr 09, 2021
Our FGN is an example of village people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by ChybuzzDD(m): 11:51am On Apr 09, 2021
bjtinz:
Sigh. All these illiterates sef.

99% of all comments have no idea of what the story is about. Everyone just bleating about ponzi and the like. SMH

Don't mind those annoying idiots

2 Likes

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by ChybuzzDD(m): 11:54am On Apr 09, 2021
deenee:

How exactly are they trying to survive? By been greedy and putting their hard earned money in ponzi schemes where there is no underlying economic activity.

Somebody is promising you 35% ROI on a monthly basis with no economic activity and y'all jump on it. If it was that easy, they won't be online trying to scam people. Our short cut mentality is the really we keep running round in circles with no meaningful development.

Una never start. I hear somebody invested over 500m naira in one of the online schemes before it went bust, with the promise that they would be paid 40% ROI monthly and after 12 months, principal will be returned. That's a 480% ROI or
N2.4 billion naira return in 1 year and this does not include principal. There is absolutely no business that can generate that kind of return in this prevailing economy. PROVERBS 21:20

I rest my case

We're talking about investments in foreign stocks, you illiterate, not ponzi schemes!
Can't you guys read and understand for once??

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by afroxyz: 11:54am On Apr 09, 2021
bjtinz:
Sigh. All these illiterates sef.

99% of all comments have no idea of what the story is about. Everyone just bleating about ponzi and the like. SMH

Very glaring. They saw online and investment and assume its ponzi. These same numbskulls would be policy makers tomorrow. That's why less than 500k nigerians have investments in TB and Mutual funds.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by afroxyz: 11:55am On Apr 09, 2021
ChybuzzDD:

We're talking about investments in foreign stocks, you illiterate, not ponzi schemes!

Bros no need wasting your energy. Its a lost cause.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:00pm On Apr 09, 2021
afroxyz:

Bros no need wasting your energy. Its a lost cause.
I dey tell you
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by deenee: 2:26pm On Apr 09, 2021
Someone7:

Bro don't get your panties in a bunch. Not every investment or trading platform is a Ponzi scheme. I'm not trying to justify their actions either. I'm just saying with this administration's appalling Ease of Doing Business and corruption record, not every start up will go to the regulators to get registered.

Proverbs 29:20

So you don't want business and start ups to register yet when they go bust, y'all still go ahead and blame the govt. I tire for una.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by deenee: 2:30pm On Apr 09, 2021
ChybuzzDD:

I responded to a particular comment implying that my revert was directed specifically to the thoughts and opinion of the writer not minding the original post. If I had done otherwise by starting a new post then ita a different thing entirely

Please tell me who the illiterate is here?
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2021
deenee:

So you don't want business and start ups to register yet when they go bust, y'all still go ahead and blame the govt. I tire for una.

Don't put words in my mouth Oga. If you no wan understand simple English that's your problem.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by Mrquote: 3:28pm On Apr 09, 2021
blueAgent:

Educated Illiterates.
Lol

1 Like

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by deenee: 3:54pm On Apr 09, 2021
Someone7:

Don't put words in my mouth Oga. If you no wan understand simple English that's your problem.

Typical NGN mentality....get rich quick with a gambler type and short cut mentality

The online trading apps should register with the regulatory body as Broker dealers or capital market operators. QeD
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by blueAgent(m): 4:10pm On Apr 09, 2021
Soon this useless idiots will ban facebook,forex trading twitter, and anything they have no clue how it works or how dey will control and benefits themselves.

2 Likes

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by zanshi: 10:02pm On Apr 09, 2021
studentofTruth:

It's a pity that some people think that the NSEC is addressing Ponzi scheme platforms with this statement.

Actually, in this statement, NSEC is attacking the likes of Trove, Bamboo, and Chaka, which are platforms one can use to invest in foreign stocks from Nigeria.

It seems these big boys that have rendered the NSE a pump and dump exchange are pressuring NSEC to prevent Nigerians from investing in foreign stocks so that they will have no option than to bring their money to the NSE, offering them more money for their schemes. They have noticed that Nigerians are leaving their fraud-laden NSE for them.

Funny enough, the NSE is not acutally but but a lot of coys listed on the NSE are the problem and they haven't given young people a bit of inclusive participation it is just old bankers running show. Very soon their circus would come to an end.

You see why I need to leave this country that is always trying to cage us.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by lavylilly: 11:29pm On Apr 09, 2021
afroxyz:

Very glaring. They saw online and investment and assume its ponzi. These same numbskulls would be policy makers tomorrow. That's why less than 500k nigerians have investments in TB and Mutual funds.
very few people understand what was posted.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by SlyCharlie(m): 11:49am On Apr 10, 2021
[/b][b]
addexx:
cheesy Racksterlians won't like this. cheesy
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by sammiejr(m): 4:18pm On Apr 12, 2021
If all people commenting think this ban is directed at Racksterli and co (ponzi).
Then they all are far dumber than I already perceived.
Anyways, most Nigerian aren't wise.
We just have common sense but we no wise.

P.S - If you feel insulted by this comment, read
the last line again, assess your networth and choke on it.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by Kennyking1234: 6:36pm On Apr 12, 2021
Depressedkidd:

True this. When I started crypto I had just 15k. I had the knowledge but I didn't have the funds. I wanted to get some capital from some senior men I'd run errands for. But knowing that crypto market is very volatile I decided to do with my 15k. Now it's up to 28k. It's not big, but I decided to play the long game and HODL some coins for some months. Any losses or profits I make will be on me and I'll be at peace with it. I'm not panicking cos it's never too late to enter crypto. There'll always be new projects coming up. So if I get to 30k, I'll split my profits and buy other coins and keep going till I can diversify my portfolio as much as I can.
smart

1 Like

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by studentofTruth: 8:35am On Apr 13, 2021
deenee:

While I think that the SEC pronouncement is ill-timed, I will also have to disagree with your comment.

Not everything should be drawn along the lines of tribal sentiment or me vs them or we against the government/ruling class trajectory.

The SEC has the primary duty to regulate the capital market and by so have every right to use the power in the Investment and Securities Act to act in this regard.

For record, the era of pump and dump expired over 10-15 years ago on the NSE, secondly the NSE is mainly driven by activities of institutional investors and I can tell you for free that they prefer it that way for liquidity and control of ownership.

Finally, even the foreign markets that we are all praising are fraught with fraud at even mind boggling levels.

Go and read up on Gamestop and Bill Hwang of Arhegos Capital.

It beats my imagination how and where you saw any form of tribalism in my post. Prolly you are one of those groomed to view everything tribalism lenses — your problem!

To pump and dump schemes: I'm sure it's not up to 10 years ago that AP oil was rebranded and pumped from #16 per share to over #250 per share and finally dumped — now trading @ #14 per share. Baba even dumped every damn share he's got in the company.

@ NSEC regulatory duties: nobody is stopping NSEC from regulating the Nigerian equity market, but they cannot tell the citizens how to invest their money. Americans invest in European and Asian markets via international brokers like Interactive Brokers, TradeStation, Charles Schwab, etc. Even Chinese do invest in the U.S. and European markets. Why can't Nigerians have access to the same markets? Unfortunately, those International brokers don't see us big enough to warrant their presence, but these platforms — Trove, Bamboo, Chaka, etc. — try to bridge that gap by acting as proxies for these big brokers. NSEC should allow Nigerians to enjoy the good work these platforms are doing. NSEC's job is to regulate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by AlphaCEO: 10:51pm On Jul 28, 2021
studentofTruth:

It's a pity that some people think that the NSEC is addressing Ponzi scheme platforms with this statement.

Actually, in this statement, NSEC is attacking the likes of Trove, Bamboo, and Chaka, which are platforms one can use to invest in foreign stocks from Nigeria.

It seems these big boys that have rendered the NSE a pump and dump exchange are pressuring NSEC to prevent Nigerians from investing in foreign stocks so that they will have no option than to bring their money to the NSE, offering them more money for their schemes. They have noticed that Nigerians are leaving their fraud-laden NSE for them.

You see why I need to leave this country that is always trying to cage us.
Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by AlphaCEO: 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2021
lalasticlala:
SEC NIGERIA

Proliferation of Unregistered Online Investment and Trading Platforms Facilitating Access to Trading in Securities Listed in Foreign Markets

08/04/2021.

The attention of the Securities and Exchange Commission (the Commission) has been drawn to the existence of several providers of online investment and trading platforms which purportedly facilitate direct access of the investing public in the Federal Republic of Nigeria to securities of foreign Companies listed on Securities Exchanges registered in other jurisdictions.

These platforms also claim to be operating in partnership with Capital Market operators (CMOs) registered with the Commission. The Commission categorically states that by the provisions of Sections 67-70 of the Investments and Securities Act (ISA), 2007 and Rules 414 & 415 of the SEC Rules and Regulations, only foreign securities listed on any Exchange registered in Nigeria may be issued, sold or offered for sale or subscription to the Nigerian public.

Accordingly, CMOs who work in concert with the referenced online platforms are hereby notified of the Commission's position and advised to desist henceforth. The Commission enjoins the investing public to seek clarification as may be required via its established channels of communication on investment products advertised through conventional or online mediums.

Signed Management

Re: SEC On Proliferation Of Unregistered Online Investment And Trading Platforms by Depressedkidd: 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2022
Kennyking1234:
smart
Bros we later cast o. Market come volatile pass my knowledge. cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Chaka Receives SEC License For Stock Trading In Nigeria / My Friend Lost His House Rent To MMM. He Has Been Evicted !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.