Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,818 members, 7,820,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough (8255 Views)

Unity Schools To Resume October 11 - Adamu Adamu, Minister Of Education / Schools Must Setup Isolation Centers Before Reopening - Adamu Adamu / 'ASUU Strike Will Be Called Off From Today Or Tomorrow' - Adamu Adamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by larrixauto2017(m): 8:11am On Apr 09, 2021
check My Signature Asap
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by capitalzero: 8:11am On Apr 09, 2021
quentin06:

They be been converted to degree awarding universities, all you need to do is sort lecturers and you get 2.1, sort or Bleep.

He meant technical secondary schools
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by aribabama(m): 8:14am On Apr 09, 2021
This country just like to complicate things. The ones on ground nko? Stupid government and their misplace priority ��

Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Manny21: 8:15am On Apr 09, 2021
NOT SURPRISED. REMOVE THE "ADA" IN HIS FIRST AND SURNAME AND CALL IT AGAIN. O DABO
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by sunnyside16(m): 8:18am On Apr 09, 2021
They should rather work hard in sending their children to school.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Kiezodumah(m): 8:22am On Apr 09, 2021
More universities unequivocally translates to more liabilities. Have they settled chronic debts owe lecturers and non academic staffs over the years? The state of living conditions/ infrastructures in our tertiary institutions are nothing to be proud about.
Have they even upragraded/ revised the syllabus for decades now ?
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Ilola(f): 8:25am On Apr 09, 2021
Abeg when dem go give us more companies, industries and factories
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Mohammedoba36: 8:26am On Apr 09, 2021
Yes is very important we have more universities,so that we can render ASUU useless.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by deeva2: 8:27am On Apr 09, 2021
WHEN THEY HAVE ALREADY RUIN AND DEVALUE OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM..MISPLACED PRIORITY
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by mofedamijo(m): 8:30am On Apr 09, 2021
quentin06:

They be been converted to degree awarding universities, all you need to do is sort lecturers and you get 2.1, sort or Bleep.

Pathetic.....
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by rollandben(m): 8:34am On Apr 09, 2021
Obviously, this minister has traded his sense of reasoning to Arewa...i see no sense from his POINT of viewed.
Please we need job mostly. and for your information,the said 197 universities is enough for now if government is ready TO channels fund and Makes them standard. WE NEED CREATION OF MORE JOBS NOT CREATION OF MORE SUBSTANDARD VARSITIES.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Tareq1105: 8:35am On Apr 09, 2021
fineguy11:
The issuance of licences to the numerous glorified secondary schools code named (private university), is a deliberate ploy by government to render public universities utterly useless and it's all in a bid to shy away from their financial responsibilities to public universities.

I don't know where to start educating poor minded persons of your like.

My daughter scored 301 in Jamb yet OAU denied her Medicine. It's not what you score but the training you're exposed to as students that is important.

A student that scored 320 in Jamb but not exposed to required facilities to train with would not be better than another student that scored 301 who's exposed to required facilities to train with.

Her 2nd choice (Babcock University) offered her and she's through now while her set in OAU are still at 4th out of 6 yrs.

I'm sure you would not want to compare the facilities available to students in Babcock University with that of OAU. Don't go there. Neither would you like to compare the perseverance, dedication and patience of the lecturers. Lecturer must give reason for absence.

Babcock would never allow a lecturer to jump into the class to rush the students probably bcoz he's not been coming or he would be away for sometimes.

No way, you take your classes at the appropriate time. Long lecture leads to boredom so it's not allowed. Can you say same of public universities?

I can't begin to tell poor minded persons like you what she's been doing and various international exams she's passed and certified. I think your problem is your mind set and I can't help you.

I want you to note that it's the system that is killing the morale of Nigerian students. That explains why Nigerians would travel out of the country and excel because the facilities are available.

Nigerians can excel in any field of human endeavors if the facilities are right.

The facilities in our public universities are not right. Old equipment, no regular water and constant power.

I'm sure your poor mind has not made you to visit Covenant University. I advise you visit to see how conducive the environment and facilities are.

Students of private universities are learning under different conditions from their friends in public universities. In fact, the threat of strikes and its attendant consequences is demoralising.

1 Like

Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 09, 2021
This is what happens when you have an Adamu as a minister I stead of a shoemaker or gateman.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Trustedpronet: 8:45am On Apr 09, 2021
Then what happen to online distance learning. To reduce cultism and safty, they should adobt online learning instead of opening useless private university up and down. Who are the think tanks of all these institutions in Nigeria?
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 09, 2021
Tareq1105:

My daughter scored 301 in Jamb yet OAU denied her Medicine.

Her 2nd choice (Babcock University) offered her and she's through now while her art in OAU still at 4th out of 6 yrs.

I'm sure you would not want to compare the facilities available to students in Babcock University with that of OAU. Don't go there. Neither would you like to compare the perseverance, dedication and patience of the lecturers.

I can't begin to tell poor minded persons like you what she's been doing and various international exams she's passed and certified. I think your problem is your mind and I can't help you.

I want you to note that it's the system that is killing the morale of Nigerian students. That explains why Nigerians would travel out of the country and excel because the facilities are available.

Nigerians can excel in any field of human endeavors if the facilities are right.

The facilities in our public universities are not right. Old equipment, no regular water and constant power.

I'm sure your poor mind has not made you to visit Covenant University. I advise you visit to see how conducive the environment and facilities are.

Students of private universities are learning under different conditions from their friends in public universities. In fact, the threat of strikes and its attendant consequences is demoralising.

In other to justify your statements, you ended up sounding not only foolish but very foolish.

Now let me educate you. You child or ward could not secure an admission simply because even if she had a 350 in Jamb, it means that there were people who secured greater than 350. Not to even talk about your 301. You are referring to a Centre of Excellence in education and you are talking as if a common 301 is a favour to them. No, it's a favour to those secondary schools you call universities.

Secondly, you made a statement concerning "facilities" and "Lecturers". It's clear that you were actually not schooled in one of our public schools. Babcock don't have a teaching hospital (except if it's new), the last time I knew, they attach to the OOU for facilities, and the OOU subscribes to the OAU and UI for their own facilities. So, it clearly shows that babcock is a third rated university when compared to these.

At just a "Lecturer I" position, I was poached for a Head of Department position in that school in Ota. And as soon as I became a senior Lecturer, one of your glorified secondary schools VC personally called me for a Professor position. That's how low class they are. Just in case you don't know. The brains of those glorified secondary schools are actually part time lecturers from the Public system.

You don't know all of this. But simply because you have N400,000 to spend on school fees, you automatically know that the school your daughter applied to as FIRST CHOICE is less than the school she actually got.

Isn't it foolishness?

Shouldn't you have commented without telling us she FIRST applied to OAU?

Well, take it from me. This is how admission is done in the top tier public school. First, admission is given by states. So someone with 320 will not have an admission if there's someone from that state applying for the same department with 321. But yet still another person from another state with a 180 who is the best applicant got hat department from his state will secure the admission.

So next time, tell your daughter to be the best and stop vilifying what is bigger than you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by discusant: 9:23am On Apr 09, 2021
Sodiq3:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-needs-more-varsities-197-not-enough-says-minister/

Nwajuba Sir, your Imo state suffers more than any other state from having qualified candidates for university but no place for them in the existing universities in Nigeria.
Please get a second federal university in your Imo state. One senatorial district of 12 local government areas in your state has no government university. Be smarter, you shall achieve this.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by COMPAQ(m): 9:37am On Apr 09, 2021
Sodiq3:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-needs-more-varsities-197-not-enough-says-minister/

We need more universities yes, but we need QUALITY universities!! Too many of these universities being approved seem like glorified secondary schools.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by TruthinAction: 9:51am On Apr 09, 2021
Education minister that lacks the idea on how to solve the issue of fallen standard of education in Nigeria. He is not even aware that we have a problem with our educational system as long as he makes his money.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by ogwuche4u(m): 9:53am On Apr 09, 2021
Baawaa:
Varsities that you don't fund,what Nigerians need is jobs

If only you read through the news, you would have known that the 20universities are all privately owned.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by John4B: 10:13am On Apr 09, 2021
As if the ones that are existing already are up to standard
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2021
Sodiq3:

we already have enough uni without adequate funding and without maintenance ,a country that can not manage what they have would end up mismanaging and looting funds in the name of building fraudulent institutions.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by suxy(m): 10:34am On Apr 09, 2021
Nigerians needs more companies to employ the graduates on ground and also a well articulated curriculum that will inculcate practical skills in our youths not just some monologue institutions

1 Like

Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by COMPAQ(m): 10:37am On Apr 09, 2021
suxy:
Nigerians needs more companies to employ the graduates on ground and also a well articulated curriculum that will inculcate practical skills in our youths not just some monologue institutions

Well said. The Nigerian curriculum is hopelessly outdated! A graduate in Nigeria has most likely NEVER stood before a class to present a paper! Something primary 6 kids in US do.

Many graduates in Nigeria have NEVER used a computer. Something primary 6 kids in US use regularly.

Many science students in Nigeria NEVER worked in a proper science lab. Something high school students in US do every other day.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by gforce5: 10:50am On Apr 09, 2021
Nigeria is just being run by idiots! Incompetent/ineffectual idiots! Nigeria doesn't need more universities! They need more funding! They should be focusing on internships for students so that they will have sufficient work experience that will prop up their CV! Universities need career advise centers just like it's done in developed countries. These centers will guide potential graduates towards making wise career decisions! They should be focusing on improving research facilities in every campus in the country. All these idiots think about is new ways to make money off struggling students who cannot afford tuition fees.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Kfed4ril(m): 11:10am On Apr 09, 2021
Baawaa:
Varsities that you don't fund,what Nigerians need is jobs

Guy Wetin happen na?
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by moriki1990(m): 12:13pm On Apr 09, 2021
We need more skilful graduates than contents memorizers[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by ElhassanAuyo: 12:28pm On Apr 09, 2021
city of Los Angeles have more universities than entire Nigeria. What a surprise! but I remembered Nigeria beat them in term of churches we have more churches than Los Angeles.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Blackdisciple(m): 1:23pm On Apr 09, 2021
Tell it to your boss he should build more within his remaining 2years + in office.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by fineguy11(m): 1:55pm On Apr 09, 2021
Tareq1105:

My daughter scored 301 in Jamb yet OAU denied her Medicine. It's not what you score but the training you're exposed to as students that is important.

A student that scored 320 in Jamb but not exposed to required facilities to train with would not be better than another student that scored 301 who's exposed to required facilities to train with.

Her 2nd choice (Babcock University) offered her and she's through now while her set in OAU are still at 4th out of 6 yrs.

I'm sure you would not want to compare the facilities available to students in Babcock University with that of OAU. Don't go there. Neither would you like to compare the perseverance, dedication and patience of the lecturers. Lecturer must give reason for absence.

Babcock would never allow a lecturer to jump into the class to rush the students probably bcoz he's not been coming or he would be away for sometimes.

No way, you take your classes at the appropriate time. Long lecture leads to boredom so it's not allowed. Can you say same of public universities?

I can't begin to tell poor minded persons like you what she's been doing and various international exams she's passed and certified. I think your problem is your mind set and I can't help you.

I would have shared your enthusiasm and high reverence for private universities if your daughter has opted for Babcock as her first choice. Good day.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by ejyk375: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2021
yes I lik tht, ride on pls.... Afterall they are indirectly making provisions for more employment as in its ppl they will still employ thr.
Re: Adamu Adamu: Nigeria Needs More Varsities, 197 Not Enough by Henri8: 3:29pm On Apr 09, 2021
And the graduates?
Where will they work?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out, How Exam Is Taken In Saudi Arabia (pic) / An Indispensable Guide To Jamb 2016/17 / Unilorin 2011/2012 Provisional Admission List Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.