Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher (17597 Views)

How Can I Land My First Programing Job With No Job Exp / The Most Financially Rewarding Areas In Programing. / Android Programing And Web Programing, Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by dahmeeyemi: 12:20am On Apr 18, 2021
Can I learn data analytics with no prior knowledge of programming?
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by dahmeeyemi: 12:23am On Apr 18, 2021
Is it a good path to start with?
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Felixitie(m): 2:02am On Apr 18, 2021
dahmeeyemi:
Is it a good path to start with?

Absolutely. You will be fine. I have been on the same route too, I'm enjoying the ride.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by FrankBass281(m): 5:56am On Apr 18, 2021
Najdorf:

Bros there are multiple free ways of learning
Please can you list them for me
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by EkenmaPeter(m): 6:35am On Apr 18, 2021
Olarewaju89:

Pls bro, I don't have a job for now and I want to learn programming. How can I get your contact?
check my signature
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Collinsanele: 6:39am On Apr 18, 2021
nwikpab:

Good tips.
I don't have a skill and still have many things in my head. I have tried to learn Java but just can't understand nada. I am planning on looking forward to python.
I am really really confused. My head no just want carry this programming of a thing.

Programming is no easy skill. It takes time.
Keep pushing!
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Abiboss: 7:53am On Apr 18, 2021
Following
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by sulaak(m): 8:09am On Apr 18, 2021
JosephXavier:
Absolutely right

Soon Nigeria will be competing with India in terms of programmers because the way Nigerians take dey troop in into programming ehn!!!

But the best thing that will happen to you as a programmer in Nigeria is to gather money and japa to any European country like Germany, Finland or even UK, or to Canada

Apply for a short course there or for Master's degree

Na there you go know your worth especially when you'll be paid in dollars

You don't need short courses or a master's degree, just constant practice.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Goldenheart(m): 8:20am On Apr 18, 2021
Programing is Life cheesy

Da shit is addictive

1 Like

Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by ezehisaac(m): 8:25am On Apr 18, 2021
Informative
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by sulaak(m): 8:46am On Apr 18, 2021
Programming is a brilliant career development option, but if you lack the aptitude for programming logic, consider cybersecurity, currently, there is a free cybersecurity training course on CISSP, this is the creme-da-la-creme of security certification and will prepare you for any job in security management.

There is a big demand for Cybersecurity professionals across all industries including software companies.

This is a LinkedIn account of Tope S. Aladenusi Partner at Deloitte & Touche - https://www.linkedin.com/in/topealadenusi/ . Tope is a Nigerian-trained Cybersecurity professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLl91EWwz7k&ab_channel=DeloitteNigeria

FRSecure provides free training and mentoring on CISSP, they are already into a new 2021 program that started last week on the 12th.
https://frsecure.com/cissp-mentor-program/

Their previous program is on the youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgEn1h_too0&t=2578s&ab_channel=FRSecure.

There are other professional bodies such as GIAC, ISACA, SABSA, that are equally in demand in the global industry.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by MsFaith: 9:36am On Apr 18, 2021
awulio:
Google Odin they teach you free how to code and there’s a discord community that guide you and help you filled with ppl from around the world.

I googled Odin I Didn’t see anything of such in relation to programming.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by lukman2sure: 10:51am On Apr 18, 2021
well said
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by thanksjosh005: 11:50am On Apr 18, 2021
EkenmaPeter:
Welcome everyone.
Today I will be writing about starting a life as a programmer which I will list 5 things to know and be ready to do or let go to be able to be a successful programmer.

1. You don't need to be a computer science student

These days it's very easy to pick up a skill you are interested in and learn. Content are so much available for anything possible you can learn or you wish you know about.
In programing, you are expected to be a computer science student but in reality you don't even need to be in a computer related field to be a successful programmer.
Non computer science student are breaking borders and solving problems.

2. Google is your friend

No programmer can know everything, the best programmers in the world still use Google to find a way out of there problems.
In programing, no man is an island. I once watch an interview between Bill gates and Steve Job. Steve Job talks about how they had to fly bill gate from his location down to there factory just to help them build a particular function for their pc OS. So always ask for help through any means.

3. Don't follow the crowd.

Let me paint a picture for you on this.
Peter wants to start learning programing, his friends tunde is a PHP developer. Just because he don't want to follow tunde because NodeJs is the next big thing he followed the crowd.
1 year later peter is still looking for a job but tunde keep cashing out on PHP Core language.
In programing you choose what you want and can do and not what other people wants. Do you want to go into robotics look in python etc, you want to go into app look into java etc.

PHP alone can make you a billionaire if you chose the right path. In PHP you can choose to go into WordPress which are break into Themes, Plugins, Add-on and many more, or Magnito or OpenCart or Laravel etc which are build on PHP. Choose a language you no you can create and build on not just because Mr A is into it then you want to do the same.

4. You don't need a job, you only need an idea

In Nigeria, going into programing is all about working in a good reputable company and earn a moderate salary. But little do they know that there are markets meant for programmers. People sell scripts, plugins , fully customized Website and get millions of dollars with $100 per download.
Choose your path in this great adventure you find yourself into. We need more programmers in this country. Check YouTuber you find out that india's has dominant the web development space. Good programmers sharing ideas to help young developer to excel. They are making the use of their large population of programmers to improve there life and that of their country.

5. Have a pet projects

Pet projects helps in building your path to where you wish to end up. A pet projects is your small little miracle waiting to happen. A twitter engineer was using Bootstrap as a pet project for job for his tasks till it became best frontend css framework.
Don't start programming without having a pet project, it shape you. It takes your boring time and it also keep you consistent which is the key in our line of job.

Thanks. I hope you understand me.
By EkenmaPeter

Thanks, brother, for this enlightening post!

I wish you could tell me what first step one could take in deciding to go into making plugins as a beginner in programming. Where does one actually start from?
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by EkenmaPeter(m): 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2021
thanksjosh005:

Thanks, brother, for this enlightening post!

I wish you could tell me what first step one could take in deciding to go into making plugins as a beginner in programming. Where does one actually start from?
First download WordPress documentation and see how core php works on WordPress. From there you will understand how to build your own plug-ins or theme

1 Like

Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Adasun(m): 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
Topmaike007:
am back...

Data 360 yp, kenjee, Anastasia k(my crush working from Sweden), Edureka, freeCodeCamp and Tina Huang are you on whatsapp let me drop some materials for you all for free...

Mind you data science is not what you learn and become pro in 12 months or less.

Even I am still learning after almost a year now.

And you must know basic statistics in mathematics..

Data science is broad because you will learn machine learning on the way when you start going into supervised and non supervised learning(k-clustering).

Deeplearning is also there to learn.

All this are sub sections of artificial intelligence.
wow!!! boss see my number in my sigy.

thanks a bunch
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Adasun(m): 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2021
Denko2721987:

Absolutely.. Its even the best time to start-off while your head and mind is still sharp and engaged with academic work.. Any person from any field of study or endeavour can be a pro in programming if they are serious minded enough..
okay, thanks
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Premiumwriter: 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2021
ClintonNzedimma:

You will only get me the akara version. The question is can it scale?
There’s a difference between a Software developer and a software engineer hope you know
boss that's a fully functional video conferencing system.

It's fully scalable and can be customized.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2021
hexzelle:
pls who knows how one can pay for a hired job on upwork.

Naija bank details seem not to work
Use PayPal
But dont get scammed
I'll show u my I'd so u can track me if any Bleep up
Chat me up if u intrested
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by thanksjosh005: 5:16pm On Apr 18, 2021
EkenmaPeter:

First download WordPress documentation and see how core php works on WordPress. From there you will understand how to build your own plug-ins or theme

Thanks brother!
You're so awesome

1 Like

Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Tinyemeka(m): 6:29pm On Apr 18, 2021
JosephXavier:
Absolutely right

Soon Nigeria will be competing with India in terms of programmers because the way Nigerians take dey troop in into programming ehn!!!

But the best thing that will happen to you as a programmer in Nigeria is to gather money and japa to any European country like Germany, Finland or even UK, or to Canada

Apply for a short course there or for Master's degree

Na there you go know your worth especially when you'll be paid in dollars

Why should you bother to travel out when the jobs can be gotten online?

Just asking.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Tinyemeka(m): 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2021
Topmaike007:
YouTube is there for you...

If you have capital you can pick udemy or Edureka to learn...

But youtube has thought me the little I know today...

From html, css and bootstrap.

But I have long abandon software devop for data science because it is the new oil.

To what extent did you study statistics in school?

I'm also interested in Data Science but have almost zero knowledge of Statistics.

What're the job prospects for Data Science in Nigeria?

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Topmaike007(m): 9:30pm On Apr 18, 2021
Tinyemeka:

To what extent did you study statistics in school?

I'm also interested in Data Science but have almost zero knowledge of Statistics.

What're the job prospects for Data Science in Nigeria?

Thanks.
happy to see people liking the field cheesy

Well to answer your question you don't need hard-core statistics to work on project.. Just be ready to learn..

You will excel learning data science with your zero knowledge of statistics.

Concerning Job : our field is not new but it's not saturated like software devop and other fields like networking and cybersecurity..but when you type "Data science job upwork" you will be amaze to see thousands of works awaiting data scientists to apply..

jobs like 50usd for 3 hours some 100usd for similar work but depending on the models your clients want.. Some even need you to teach them python or some of it's library for A week or 2 weeks for like 200-300 USD.
Even some people want you to build them chatbot using python that they could integrate into there site and that is like 100-150 USD and it won't take you more than 4hrs to finish up and deploy..

Jobs plenty for upwork and fiver and many more other freelancing site..

And you're working from your home..

It come to worst you leave Nigeria for some European or America countries and get jobs that will fetch you like 90k per annum.

Welcome to IT

1 Like

Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Topmaike007(m): 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2021
Tinyemeka:

Why should you bother to travel out when the jobs can be gotten online?

Just asking.
yeah but you could still travel if you so desire and guess what na dem go dey rush you
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by llade(m): 12:07pm On Apr 19, 2021
Topmaike007:
even if you're as old as Buhari you could still learn it..
Thanks.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by justmondris: 6:50pm On Apr 19, 2021
nwikpab:

I don’t need to do both once.finish html 5 first before moving to css. U can finish html in one weekend

Thanks to you all.

However, I am trying my hands on publishing and it's quite demanding.
I don't know if I can concentrate enough to do both well.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Johnmattee(m): 10:53am On Apr 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

This is a bad decision which you might end up regretting. It's good to learn python but what is the end goal? What do you want to do in python? Python has its place In data science and machine learning but how easy is it to get those jobs especially for someone who might not have a computer science degree. It can be used in web development with Django but how many Django jobs are there? How many people use Django or flask as a backend to build their websites.

Research and rething your strategy so you don't waste valuable time.
How about node.js?
I don't want you to suggest php, though I still wanna learn it, not now.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by awulio(f): 12:50pm On Apr 22, 2021
Odin literally has a full blown full stack Java developer course for free

MsFaith:

I googled Odin I Didn’t see anything of such in relation to programming.
Re: Starting A Life In Programing, 5 Things To Know As A Fresher by Theboss001: 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2023
Topmaike007:
YouTube is there for you...

If you have capital you can pick udemy or Edureka to learn...

But youtube has thought me the little I know today...

From html, css and bootstrap.

But I have long abandon software devop for data science because it is the new oil.

Chief good day to you, how are you doing in the data science.
I am tryna get into DevOps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Makes A Good Software Developer? / Blackberry 10 Picture Password For Android / What's The Easiest Path For Beginners?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.