Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. (872 Views)

My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 3:34pm On Apr 15, 2021
My dad, a retired Pentecostal Reverend spent a fortune on books, old books. 90 percent of them are religious books which nobody has opened for the better part of 25 to 30 years now.

Not that we the children are averse to reading, but this is the digital age, the age of PDF drive.
For instance, he has the complete volumes of Matthew Henry's commentary. I've got same in my laptop, it's not more than 8MB. There are many instances of this.

Dad, 76 this year, and mum are planning to relocate to the new house built for them in the village. I'm the last child, I'll take over this present apartment and refurbish it to taste.

Only problem is what to do with these books. The shelves, 4 of them, are occupying criminal amounts of space.

Does anyone know any agency or company that'll have an interest in these religious books? Will state or federal libraries have any interest in old religious books?

Mods, please help me move to front page.

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by slimjohn2k5: 3:40pm On Apr 15, 2021
Get your dad consent before moving his stuff. For my dad, his language is leave it there

3 Likes

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 3:44pm On Apr 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Get your dad consent before moving his stuff. For my dad, his language is leave it there

I already have his consent. He has already selected the ones he'll relocate with. All he wants is a cut of the money if I eventually find a way to sell the books.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Exmilitant(m): 4:38pm On Apr 15, 2021
I wonder why anyone would find it difficult to value, cherish and preserve family relics. Joe Biden was recently sworn president with his family's Bible that is over a 100 year old. I have my grandfather's books.

3 Likes

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Kirchoffs: 4:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hullabaloon:

I already have his consent. He has already selected the ones he'll relocate with. All he wants is a cut of the money if I eventually find a way to sell the books.
Bro did you eventually move out of your parents house or did you invest the money??
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Richy4(m): 7:54pm On Apr 15, 2021
Just google a theological school around you or a seminary... Donate it to them and they will thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 8:52pm On Apr 15, 2021
Kirchoffs:
Bro did you eventually move out of your parents house or did you invest the money??

Was forced To move by my then manager. House was quite far from workplace and lateness was my second name.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by madridguy(m): 8:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
Since you don't know the value of the books, go and exchange it with yam and akara.

Hullabaloon:
My dad, a retired Pentecostal Reverend spent a fortune on books, old books. 90 percent of them are religious books which nobody has opened for the better part of 25 to 30 years now.

Not that we the children are averse to reading, but this is the digital age, the age of PDF drive.
For instance, he has the complete volumes of Matthew Henry's commentary. I've got same in my laptop, it's not more than 8MB. There are many instances of this.

Dad, 76 this year, and mum are planning to relocate to the new house built for them in the village. I'm the last child, I'll take over this present apartment and refurbish it to taste.

Only problem is what to do with these books. The shelves, 4 of them, are occupying criminal amounts of space.

Does anyone know any agency or company that'll have an interest in these religious books? Will state or federal library's have any interest in old religious books?

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by frozen70(f): 9:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hullabaloon:

Does anyone know any agency or company that'll have an interest in these religious books? Will state or federal library's have any interest in old religious books?

I will suggest you package it and put it along the properties he will be relocating with

After his life time, you burn them after one year

No one will price any of those books because of they could be gotten from the net as soft copies

Let him be with his books
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by missimelda01(f): 10:12pm On Apr 15, 2021
madridguy:
Since you don't know the value of the books, go and exchange it with yam and akara.

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Ayofaks(f): 10:45pm On Apr 15, 2021
Please if you can find Scofield study Bible among the books, I'll like to buy. Leather back please, not hard cover. Thank you.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Janosky: 11:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hullabaloon:

Does anyone know any agency or company that'll have an interest in these religious books? Will state or federal libraries have any interest in old religious books?

Can you screenshot the list of the books in your Dad's collection?
Maybe interested individuals or institutions might contact you for acquisition of hard copy of the books.

Last resort, can you stamp your Dad's name on the books & donate them to the university closest to your location or to the Religion/Philosophy Departmental Library of a tertiary institution ?

1 Like

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 11:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
Ayofaks:
Please if you can find Scofield study Bible among the books, I'll like to buy. Leather back please, not hard cover. Thank you.

OK. I'll ask him and get back to you.

1 Like

Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 11:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
Janosky:

Maybe interested individuals or institutions might contact you for acquisition of hard copy of the books.

Last resort, can you stamp your Dad's name on the books & donate them to the university closest to your location or to the Religion/Philosophy Departmental Library of a tertiary institution ?

My brother, e go hard. There are too many of them.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 11:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
madridguy:

Lol. If I didn't know the value, I wouldn't be here seeking for solutions. But then, perhaps your comment is lighthearted at best.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 11:31pm On Apr 15, 2021
Janosky:

Your last resort may be my last resort. Thanks for your input.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 11:33pm On Apr 15, 2021
frozen70:

I will suggest you package it and put it along the properties he will be relocating with

After his life time, you burn them after one year

No one will price any of those books because of they could be gotten from the net as soft copies

Let him be with his books

Lol. I don't think I'd have the mind to set them ablaze. I know it'll be helpful to one org or company somewhere, even if I don't make any money from it.

Among all the books, my favorite is the world book encyclopedia, complete 1988 edition. I'll neither sell nor donate that one. It's a rare gem. It's part of what I captured in the pics.
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hullabaloon:

No one will buy those mildewed books bro cheesy i doubt you can get someone to even take them for free
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by merieam16(f): 11:44pm On Apr 15, 2021
Go to a library and tell them u are willing to donate books
Re: Help. What To Do With My Father's 4 Bookshelfs Filled With Books. by Hullabaloon: 6:35am On Apr 16, 2021
Ouidah:

No one will buy those mildewed books bro cheesy i doubt you can get someone to even take them for free

The bolded grin

(1) (Reply)

I Married You For / Do U Belief In Reincarnation? / Christmas Presents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.