Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community (20075 Views)

OKITIPUPA: A Town In Nigeria Without Electricity For over 12 Years (Pictures) / Solar Hybrid Mini-Grid: REA Electrifies Ogun State Community After 200 Years / Mubarak’s Wife Appeals To Nigerian Senate after 100 days in prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Incognito403: 5:27am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:
Las las this solar panels na palliative for boys.

Petty thief.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by NaijaGoBetter20: 5:40am On Apr 16, 2021
Do they use light before? So why after 100years.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by JohnBullMySon: 6:04am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:
Solar scams by this scament.
Na this solar panel go give the whole village light?
Solar panels for the masses is a big waste for now.
The maintenance is way too high.
Fg should do the right thing for once.
Dia Fada!

excuse me, did I hear maintenance?
Oh God.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by chukskafor(m): 6:06am On Apr 16, 2021
Can you imagine, 100 years without electricity and the likes of Saraki and Co are from this state.
What a show of shame
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by JohnBullMySon: 6:12am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

Not everything is scam. Which battery are you buying or which panels are you getting?

Panels are not determined by their sizes by sight but by their kilowatts peak rating.

That village, we are talking about, you are not aware if they use refrigerators....this is a remote community without grid.

That medium room, what do they use?
You don't know.....moreover, the pix might just be for illustration purposes.

They basically will have just CFLs, radio, maybe TV, Phone and that's all! When you are told a community don't have power for close to a century, that community isn't rural but VERY REMOTE.

The Private Co. will get the good ones, and you will see the difference.

Do you set up dams, where there is no water?
I wonder why you keep on replying him. He's obviously a dunce. Dude first mentioned high maintenance, then he talked of portable dams.

Solar is the best bet for rural communities with low power demand. Cheaper than wiring distribution lines deep into the bushes and then have them destroyed by bandits. Operational costs are cheaper too.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by altteemy: 6:17am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:

[b]A Nigerian dude created a stove that can generate electricity to charge phones [/b]while cooking. It converts heat energy to power.

They can covert the heat generated by their firewood to real electricity.

FG no go se this dude.

FG must do the right thing.

Could you send a link or contact
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Duplexxx: 6:23am On Apr 16, 2021
100 years no light who said that na God go punish am na still the electric go shock am die

Solar is not for the poor

85% are living in poverty in in Nigeria are they thinking about that before introducing solar idiot

Na how dem go use solar take loot bln them dey fine

We don't need it

Nigeria fucking government should give us frequent light that is all not solar

Thieves dem

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by DavSagacity(m): 6:43am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

You don't know what a remote village is.

Ask a moniker here SamuelAnyawu....we served in the same place, though we didn't meet each other. Ask him where he served, you will know there is a difference between village and remote community.
I love all your responses. It's like u are an expert in solar Panel / Elect. Engineer.
Your replies are very simple and Very matured. pls keep it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 16, 2021
Tingotoe:
Is it possible to connect a 24v solar panel to a 12v battery? Also is it possible to connect a 24v battery to a 12v inverter?
12volts battery of what capacity? 100AH, 150AH, 200AH or 250AH.
You can use 12v 150watts or 180watts (18v) for 100AH battery and a solar controller of 10/20amps.
You can also use a 24v 270watts panel for a 12v 150AH battery+20/30amp solar controller.
12v 200AH battery uses 2pcs of 250watts 24vv solar panel and 30amps solar controller. The duty of the solar controller is to automatically dictate the volt of the battery, because solar voltage can spike from 24 to 1000dc
Call a qualified solar technician to access your needs
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:54am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

You don't know what a remote village is.

Ask a moniker here SamuelAnyawu....we served in the same place, though we didn't meet each other. Ask him where he served, you will know there is a difference between village and remote community.

Lol the young man hasn’t seen remote communities in Nigeria yet grin

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Qoko: 6:54am On Apr 16, 2021
And your son that need to be cursed is a minister in present administration, shame
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 7:03am On Apr 16, 2021
SamuelAnyawu:

Lol the young man hasn’t seen remote communities in Nigeria yet grin
At all.......E never trek from Okorro reach Ayeh before...
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by uuzba(m): 7:09am On Apr 16, 2021
Simplyleo:
Well, half loaf is better than none, at least this can illuminate a few houses in the community. Of course, if the solar panel on display is what they are talking about, I strongly doubt they can power 3 refrigerators.

But lemme see how some people who lack water for over 30 years will condemn this development.

I understand in some of their communities, na firewood dem dey use as light at night.
This the kind of place that will benefit from the solar panels.
Since the people are already poor, they will have only 1 light bulb in their house. No iron. No Fridge, no TV.
That way everybody will only see light.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by uuzba(m): 7:13am On Apr 16, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
excuse me, did I hear maintenance?

Oh God.
The battery.
Hmm. 2 years max, battery will have issue. You have to buy brand-new set.
1 12 volt battery is N120,000. And you need 4 batteries for 1 house.
I use 4 and have changed ALL of them 2ce now.
Talkless of a whole village.
E no cheap O.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 7:15am On Apr 16, 2021
indigene:

12volts battery of what capacity? 100AH, 150AH, 200AH or 250AH.
You can use 12v 150watts or 180watts (18v) for 100AH battery and a solar controller of 10/20amps.
Good

You can also use a 24v 270watts panel for a 12v 150AH battery+20/30amp solar controller.

12v 200AH battery uses 2pcs of 250watts 24vv solar panel and 30amps solar controller.

The duty of the solar controller is to automatically dictate the volt of the battery, because solar voltage can spike from 24 to 1000dc
Call a qualified solar technician to access your needs
Why are you killing Power?
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 16, 2021
It's funny the way people sound very affirmative, even in their ignorance.
The maintenance of solar is very cheap. There are batteries now that can last up to 10-12 years while solar panels last up to 25 years.
Go and find out what India is doing with PV solar. The country installed solar capacity that is over 5 times Nigeria's national grid capacity, just within a short period.

LikeAking:
Solar scams by this scament.

Na this solar panel go give the whole village light?

Solar panels for the masses is a big waste for now.

The maintenance is way too high.

Fg should do the right thing for once.

Dia Fada!

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

Why are you killing Power?
Could I get your explanation?
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by lequama10: 7:21am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:

A Nigerian dude created a stove that can generate electricity to charge phones while cooking. It converts heat energy to power.

They can covert the heat generated by their firewood to real electricity.

FG no go se this dude.

FG must do the right thing.

you know nothing, so FG should continue with fossil again, when the whole world is going clean. You need enlightenment, please comprehend before you make comments..
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by lequama10: 7:24am On Apr 16, 2021
uuzba:

The battery.
Talkless of a while village.
E no cheap O.
you bought chinese or india batteries of 120k you expecting it to last for 10years, buy good batteries you all won't listen. And I can't blame your installer sha, people like you don't listen
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 7:25am On Apr 16, 2021
indigene:

Could I get your explanation?
If you use a 24V panel to charge a 12V battery with just solar controller, you are killing power; especially in very hot conditions.

A 24V panel will normally have a Vmp at approximately 36V, and an open cct voltage of about 44V.

The Imp here becomes 7.5A (270/36)

If I am to charge a battery of 12V, my wattage becomes 7.5*12/14 which is 100W....So, I am wasting (270-100)W. Not good.

You can correct that with 2 methods....
1. Use an MPPT
MPPTs charge controllers helps to draw out as much Wattage from the modules as possoble. The reduced Voltage charging the battery is buffered up by a rapid increase in Current and therefore Power, to make up.

But again, MPPTs add extra cost, they are mechanical in nature and are subject to wear and tear....another maintenance cost.

2. Get another battery and connect in series....this will be better.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Whois(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2021
oluwakayode25:
Been to a community like this in ogun state while doing this stupid contract job for FMARD..... The village is called gbamu gbamu.... You will think it is located on one of the far corners of the earth... Very faaaaaaar from civilization. The whole community runs on solar and they use LED bulbs in each houses to save energy... I don't know if they use refrigerators or high energy consumption appliances but i can tell you they have light 24/7 as long as they are able to afford payment for whatever unit they require... No electric poles in sight... No boreholes... No infrastructures in sight... No govt hospitals.. I was wowed!

I for see this FGN rural solar idea as means of 2023 vote buying, they know these people can not afford to complete full payment soon. It is well
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by shogsman(m): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2021
Kwara state is as bad as it gets for underdeveloped states, even their university in ilorin don't have light for weeks or even a month sometimes

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by McLizbae: 7:36am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:

God forbid!. That thing you see there cant even power medium family house room well.

Na scam.

Good solar batteries are very expensive and you know how battery they take run down na?

Replacement na whala.

Solar is not an option.

Only the very rich should use it.

India has been installing portable dams for various rural communities.

When I see this your type of comment, I wonder if the solar you talk about is different from the one I have been using for the past 5 years with zero hassles.

Bros if solar energy is giving you such problems then you either have something badly installed for you or you use it badly. A well installed solar energy for home use, if appropriately used, should serve you efficiently for nothing less than 3 years.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Neddyogu(m): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

Not everything is scam. Which battery are you buying or which panels are you getting?

Panels are not determined by their sizes by sight but by their kilowatts peak rating.

That village, we are talking about, you are not aware if they use refrigerators....this is a remote community without grid.

That medium room, what do they use?
You don't know.....moreover, the pix might just be for illustration purposes.

They basically will have just CFLs, radio, maybe TV, Phone and that's all! When you are told a community don't have power for close to a century, that community isn't rural but VERY REMOTE.

The Private Co. will get the good ones, and you will see the difference.

Do you set up dams, where there is no water?

I wanted to ask same oo.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by McLizbae: 7:55am On Apr 16, 2021
uuzba:

The battery.
Talkless of a while village.
E no cheap O.

If what you said here is true, then it either of 2 things: ur have a bad installation or you definitely making a bad use of your inverter system. Remember, you can't typically use your inverter the way you use your generator light. Do not put too much load on ur inverter. Only use appliances that are absolutely needed to run. Every bulb, fan, laptop, TV running with nobody's attendance waste ur current and shorten the lifespan of your battery on the long run. Make sure you don't get your inverter screaming because of low battery voltage all the time before you switch it off.
Check the battery's instructions of use, and if you can understand those charts, you will know that any batteries life can be double (I mean get the 5 years spec) if you don't allow the battery voltage to drop beyond 11.8-12.0 v before u off it.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by McLizbae: 8:05am On Apr 16, 2021
When people talk down on solar-inverter systems, I always blame the engineers/electricans/installers.

Solar panel is not a fuel generator set, so using it like one will lead to untimely death of the system.

Before installing inverter system for people, you have to sit them down and sensitized them. Give them good orientation as to how to use the system. Only that way can people enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

If you use a 24V panel to charge a 12V battery with just solar controller, you are killing power; especially in very hot conditions.

A 24V panel will normally have a Vmp at approximately 36V, and an open cct voltage of about 44V.

The Imp here becomes 7.5A (270/36)

If I am to charge a battery of 12V, my wattage becomes 7.5*12/14 which is 100W....So, I am wasting (270-100)W. Not good.
Thanks, you wrote under perfect weather condition, but we have to agree that nothing is perfect
Could a 100watts 12v
solar panel effectively charge a 150AH 12v , let me use a battery like Amaron Quanta battery as example within 11am to 3.30pm under cloudy flactuating weather when you apply pwm solar controller? I said NO
Using a 100watts 12v panel for a 150AH 12v battery will require 9 hours of bright day light or in some cases 72 hours to charge the battery,

My summation 200+ watts 24v panel is durable to charge a 150AH 12v battery.
At greenify Solar Power we interview our clients, what are their needs, More power during the day or also same at night? And we craft jobs beautifully.
In the third picture we applied 2 metres rule between the freezer and battery rack and fixtures after the picture was taken

2 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by mexbee1(m): 8:14am On Apr 16, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:
After 100yrs Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community

https://dailytrust.com/after-100yrs-without-electricity-solar-mini-grid-excites-kwara-community
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 8:20am On Apr 16, 2021
indigene:

Thanks, you wrote under perfect weather condition, but we have to agree that nothing is perfect
Could a 100watts 12v
solar panel effectively charge a 150AH 12v ,
let me use a battery like Amaron Quanta battery as example within 11am to 3.30pm under cloudy flactuating weather when you apply pwm solar controller? I said NO
Using a 100watts 12v panel for a 150AH 12v battery will require 9 hours of bright day light or in some cases 72 hours to charge the battery,

This is Good....Very Good.

My summation 200+ watts 24v panel is durable to charge a 150AH 12v battery.
At greenify Solar Power we interview our clients, what are their needs, More power during the day or also same at night? And we craft jobs beautifully.
Can it charge the 12V battery? Yes

However, Power loss is annoying to any Engineer.

The customer wouldn't care.

Nice job @ greenify.

2 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by CodeTemplar: 8:46am On Apr 16, 2021
Solar cost is about how it compares to alternatives. In a country where public projects suffer from inflation, solar may not be so bad a option. Some quora pages report 1mw of solar as being slightly above $2m. That's comparable in many ways to the cost of our gas fired plants. Don't forget that in solar and wind based plants, the need for distanced transmission can be greatly reduced for isolated communities.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by UncutSk(m): 8:59am On Apr 16, 2021
solar is unreliable
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by UncutSk(m): 9:00am On Apr 16, 2021
fergie001:

Yes, it can power the whole village because it depends on their load demand, and not the size of the village. This must have been put into consideration during the feasibility study of this project.

Again, the maintenance cost of RE systems are far less than Diesel Generators or fossil-driven conventional electricity.

The major issues of RE surrounds their high first capital cost, stochasticity and expertise (in general). I believe this has been taken care of.

I feel there should be more spacing, and the panels on the left should be tilted at an angle equivalent to the latitude of the location. I don't think that's around 6°.....(the pix might just be for illustration though).

It is a laudable project. This REA/EEP is one area I don't know how to fault the FG on. They are doing well here.

PS: This is a private driven one and still commendable.

nonsense writeup
solar is unreliable

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: Nothing Can Bring Sam Omatseye Down / List Of Panelists At Alaigbo Youth Summit Causes Controversy / Gunmen Kidnap Philip Aivoji, Lagos PDP Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.