Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,112 members, 7,821,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 (20862 Views)

Senators Exchange Blows As Biafra Mentioned / Drama As Biafra Agitators Take On Buhari At His Hotel In London / Catholic Priest Emerges Biafra-INEC Chairman, As Biafra Plans Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Planner(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2007
It will make this discussion much more interesting. smiley
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by laudate: 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2007
Planner:

It will make this discussion much more interesting. smiley

In what way, pray tell??
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by ono(m): 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2007
Well, I expected a soft touch from you on this topic, if you are truly a[b] lady[/b]. But with the way you come up with your entries, I'll wager one's dealing with an elderly man.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by grafikdon: 6:32pm On Aug 14, 2007
laudate:

Before I answer the question, can you both please tell me what my gender has to do with the topic under discussion?

Actually it was a rhetorical question and your gender has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. I noticed a lot of people have attached 'she' to your name, which I find out of place and impossible. If you find my post offensive, that was not my intention.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Planner(m): 6:37pm On Aug 14, 2007
I was just joking. Don't mind me.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2007
I'm still having problems understanding why some of us cant simply understand and respect other people's choices and rights.
Loudate has decided to keep to herself on her gender and where she/he comes from. Free world!!!! Get it guys.

Just use he, she or transgendered when addressing her with due respect.
So SIMPLE guys.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by doyin13(m): 7:27pm On Aug 14, 2007
@Nuzo

Touche.

May I suggest Nkwobi as your emblem then.

That I am sure will have you back from Nianjing in no time

By the way Nee hao

grin grin grin
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2007
@doyin

That's very unkind of you to mention nkwobi; knowing full well that i may not have tasted it in months.

How come you know Nanjing?
NI HAU

@suggestion
To calm your nerves, will Yoruba-Yoruba or EWEDU REPUBLIC OF ODUA be ok?
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2007
@doyin
grin grin grin grin grin

i gotta go get some sleep, it's about 3am now.
catch ya.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by McKren(m): 7:53pm On Aug 14, 2007
I can not launch any Missile on any person as no one knows the identity of anybody on this site, all you can do is attack someones[b] tribe, religion or political affiliation.
[/b]

Yes I attacked someones tribe or region but that was after the person made rash comments about mine. If Laudate is simply saying that my attack was unprovoked then he has simply gotten so used to Igbo bashing or hating that he does not think I have the right to be angry when rash comments are made about my tribe.

Pages 1, 2, and 3 of this thread are here to prove whether my attack was unprovoked or not. And I still like to state categorically that I have no regrets for my posts on this thread and will not appologise.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by needeeg(m): 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2007
If your are to mind peoples business in this house, hard been bad by now!! dont mind people nagging on ur post anyhow.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by laudate: 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2007
McKren:

I can not launch any Missile on any person as no one knows the identity of anybody on this site, all you can do is attack someones[b] tribe, religion or political affiliation.
[/b].

*sigh*. . . .You don't need to know a person's identity in order to make your stand known. Neither do you have to launch attacks on a person's tribe, religion or political affiliation, please. Scratch that, politics is fair game. But ethnic affiliations, are not. Doing that is so infantile, and it doesn't raise the level of discourse or understanding on this board. Take a cue from other folks who have developed the art of disagreeing with the points made, without being disagreeable.

McKren:

Yes I attacked someones tribe or region but that was after the person made rash comments about mine. If Laudate is simply saying that my attack was unprovoked then he has simply gotten so used to Igbo bashing or hating that he does not think I have the right to be angry when rash comments are made about my tribe.

Pages 1, 2, and 3 of this thread are here to prove whether my attack was unprovoked or not. And I still like to state categorically that I have no regrets for my posts on this thread and will not appologise.

Oh dear. . . .here we go again! sad What did you just say here? "If Laudate is simply saying that my attack was unprovoked then he has simply gotten so used to Igbo bashing or hating. . . . ." 

Talk about jumping to conclusions again. You are trying so hard to pick a quarrel with me, and I really don't have time for your antics. Stop clutching at straws, McKren. Am not your enemy, neither am I your problem. Go and look for the source of your problem, elsewhere. cool
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by lovemajek(f): 9:07pm On Aug 14, 2007
can we please stop this web biafra war, and try to atleast pretend to love one another for peace sake
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 15, 2007
@Lovemajek

That is a very unfair cut coming from you .
You said people should at least PRETEND they love some people even if they don't. To me that's HIPOCRICY and SYCOPHANCY in the highest order.

I have said it before, anybody has the right and choice to hate or love anybody they choose to; but it becomes evil if one has to PRETEND about it.

It's ok to love or to hate depending on what you believe; but PRETENCE? Unbearable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by doyin13(m): 3:09am On Aug 15, 2007
@nuzo

Very true

I hate your chow mein eating, Nkwobi dreaming ass

grin grin grin

Quite cathartic really
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 15, 2007
@doyin

Doyin, the great grandson of Odua. You seen to be filled with great sence of humour.
I'm visiting UK in 2 months time and i hope to meet u in person.

I know your girl will get giddy when she sees or hear my name.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 15, 2007
If u like load all HAUSA/FULANI inside Truck, go dump dem for OXfORD or CAMBRIDGE (University).
wen dey come back , dem go still be the same. if dem no cut your head. dem go look for Hand.
God don already give dem dey gift of Cut Cut.
As for YORUBA, dey more Education wey dem get. Na more (camelion, tortoise and Bank Fraud Master) dem go be. God give dem that gift, make lies full dem mouth. So, please don't take it away from them.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 15, 2007
I wonder, how ODUDUWA REPUBLIC , go look.
inside that republic lies go dey fly like bees.
The great Niger Delta people, hope sey una know wetin i mean.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by laudate: 5:18pm On Aug 15, 2007
willywilly:

If u like load all HAUSA/FULANI inside Truck, go dump them for OXfORD or CAMBRIDGE (University).
when dey come back , them go still be the same. if them no cut your head. them go look for Hand.
God don already give them dey gift of Cut Cut.
As for YORUBA, dey more Education wey them get. Na more (camelion, tortoise and Bank Fraud Master) them go be. God give them that gift, make lies full them mouth. So, please don't take it away from them.

willywilly:

I wonder, how ODUDUWA REPUBLIC , go look.
inside that republic lies go dey fly like bees.
The great Niger Delta people, hope sey una know wetin i mean.

Petty propaganda, ethnic hatred and jingoism masquerading as philosophical platitude. angry

Maybe when you add your own region or ethnic group into the equation, the whole world will take you serious. Anyway, let me allow those who come from those areas, to give you the kind of response, you so richly deserve. *Hiss*
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by laudate: 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2007
@Dimka,

Please get the frigging hel' out of here!! Am not going to warn you a second time, you slowpoke! angry
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 15, 2007
@Laudate,
hahahahahahaaha,
Real human being come from those regions? the answer na NO.
Wetin comes from those region na THIEVES.
So, if u sey u won hand me over to THIEVES, u dey correct
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by laudate: 1:04pm On Aug 24, 2007
@ebos,

One of the key leaders of the former Biafran 'state' is dead. Dr Okechukwu Ikejiani died in Canada, at the age of 90. A report says that during the Civil War, Dr Ikejiani was director of laboratory services in Biafra, and Ambassador Plenipotentiary for the head of state of Biafra. Here are some excerpts from his last interview with Cyril Ibe, published by the Chinua Achebe Foundation.

Dr. Okechukwu Ikejiani:

[center]The Nigerian Civil War  [/center]
Ibe: Where were you during the civil war? Talk about the things you did, either at home or away from home.

Dr. Ikejiani: I was in Nigeria during the civil war. I was practically every day with Ojukwu. I visited abroad; I visited the United States; I visited the whole of the West Indies with Professor Ezera. I visited Haiti with Chukwuma Azikiwe. It was because of me that they [ Haiti] gave recognition to Biafra. I was appointed in the rehabilitation commission [of Biafra] because we did most work of the children who were suffering from kwashiorkor. We arranged for them to go abroad for treatment and stayed till the end of the civil war. During the intervals, I was sent abroad. I visited Greece. I went to Yamoussoukro [ Ivory Coast]. I went to Gabon. I visited the whole of the West Indies. I was in the United States. I visited Canada. At the end of the war I was in Lisbon [ Portugal]. I was in Lisbon when the war ended and I decided not to come back.

Ibe: Officially you were one of a number of Biafran ambassadors then, or did you have a specific portfolio?

Dr. Ikejiani: No, I will call it Ambassador Plenipotentiary. When the leader, Ojukwu, sent you abroad, you became ambassador of wherever you were assigned. That’s what I was. I was not officially referred to as an ambassador abroad, although I was Ambassador Plenipotentiary when I traveled to one of these countries.

Ibe: From your vantage point of going abroad, speaking on behalf of Biafra and Ojukwu at that time, what was the general feeling of other countries on the fate of Biafra, which was fighting a war of secession?

Dr. Ikejiani: Most countries I visited supported us – most countries. I visited Haiti, they gave us recognition. I visited the whole of West Indian islands. You have to know the history of Jamaica, Barbados, Guyana, to realize that they are small, except Guyana which is quite big. But there were a lot of problems with the Indian population. And Jamaica had a lot of problems. Their recognition of us would have been meaningless. I would say that my going abroad showed me that the whole of the black world supported us. Greece supported us, too.

Ibe: What did these countries see in Biafra?

Dr. Ikejiani: They saw a legacy of Black people who could rise -- potentially rise -- above the stupor where they were. They saw what we were able to do in the war, the way we were organized, and they were very impressed. As matter of fact, Portugal was telling us that our people were better organized than the Portuguese territories where they were. Greece was quite impressed with what we were doing. But this came to nothing because we lost the war.

Ibe: With all these things going for Biafra, why did Biafra still lose the war?

Dr. Ikejiani: : We lost the war because no large country supported us. The British government was against us, Russia was against us openly. America was going up and down; they never really supported us.

Ibe: How about Canada?

Dr. Ikejiani: Canada didn’t really recognize us, but they gave us a little support. Sometimes I would come here to get a visa to go to the United States instead of going anywhere else. So Canada supported us, but it was the time of Trudeau, and Trudeau was sympathetic but that was all they could do. If Britain was against us, Canada couldn’t openly support us. So we lost the support of the great powers. And it was obvious that with the recognition of African countries which we had, with the recognition of Haiti, no other countries recognized us. That’s why we couldn’t get any equipment to fight. Our soldiers had to give up.

Ibe: It’s obvious why Britain would not support the break up of its former colony. Why would the other strong countries like Canada, Russia and the United States not look favorably at the secessionist war of Biafra?

Dr. Ikejiani: Don’t forget that at that time Russia had the whole of the Russian empire intact. They weren’t separated. So they were totally against a war of secession. Russia was totally against us. As a matter of fact, Russian planes were used in bombing us. If Britain did not support us; if Russia did not support us, and if the United States was [undecided], we couldn’t get any support. We had full support from four African countries, but that was not enough to give us the independence we wanted.

Ibe: Looking back now, what have the Igbo people and the rest of southeastern Nigeria, learned from that war of secession?

Dr. Ikejiani: I don’t think they’ve learned anything. First of all, now they have oil. It’s almost impossible to ask them to be a part of any Igbo cause.

Ibe: Zik was opposed to Ojukwu waging the Nigeria-Biafra civil war….

Dr. Ikejiani: [cuts in]…he wasn’t opposed to the civil war until later…

Ibe: …he wasn’t opposed to the civil war until later; so initially what was [Zik’s] feeling?

Dr. Ikejiani: His feeling was that when a leader of a nation wants to go to war, he should consult people. Primarily Ojukwu should have consulted Zik. Secondly, he should have consulted [Michael] Okpara [premier of eastern Nigeria]. Thirdly he should have consulted other leaders. The only people that Ojukwu consulted were [Louis] Mbanefo and [Francis] Ibiam. I have Ibiam’s letter here. It was a great mistake. I told Ojukwu [to] invite these people [and inform them]. He told me they would compromise. That’s what he said. He didn’t invite them, never asked them questions. That’s not how to lead. That’s what led us into trouble. There are many areas we would have compromised. Ojukwu did not compromise. That’s one of the mistakes we made in the war.

Ibe: What were some of the other mistakes?

Dr. Ikejiani: I don’t want to mention them….When Okpara went to Abyssinia, he should have compromised. We didn’t. There are two or three areas where he should have compromised….We were bringing one planeload of ammunition from Israel every week; one planeload of weapons from Tanzania every week, but we couldn’t carry tanks. If we had a boat that brought tanks, we could have fought. The tank we captured was when [Nigerian soldiers] came to Abagana trying to bypass to Nnewi without going through Onitsha; we captured one tank. We made a lot of mistakes during the war. It wasn’t that Zik opposed the war. Anybody with sense would consider the war. War is destructive. There’s no country that went to war that didn’t suffer, not one. When we went to war, we destroyed everything we had. That’s true.

Ibe: Many of us, Nigerians, do not have the advantage of being so close to some of these historical figures you mentioned – Zik, Ojukwu, among many others. What do you think are Odumegwu Ojukwu’s reflections these days regarding his decision to wage a war of secession?

Dr. Ikejiani: He did not go to war. We were attacked and he replied. He did not compromise at any time; that was the mistake he made. What he thinks now I don’t know. He came back [from exile in Ivory Coast] and joined the National Party of Nigeria NPN. I don’t think that was brilliant. Second, the man who fought a war in Nigeria thinks he can run as president. He picked a northerner, the brother of the Emir of Kano. I think that’s wrong. What does he want to run for president for, for what? What does he hope to achieve? I don’t know what he’s thinking that he has done, but it’s unfortunate that we had to go to war, that we did not compromise.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/6966/55
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by ebos(m): 2:03pm On Aug 24, 2007
@Laudate

Thank you for the news. May his rest in peace. Amen!
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by lovemajek(f): 12:09am On Aug 25, 2007
I don’t want to mention them,

while do we still concel some informations?, pls,whoever have the answers should give it out, so that the same mistake can not be made twice or even thrice.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by romeo(m): 9:28pm On Dec 18, 2007
I came late here grin grin grin
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by EmekaNaija(m): 12:54am On Dec 19, 2007
I need to make a plea to everyone in this forum: Never subscribe to an idea that suggests re-writting history. That is what Sam Omatseye seems to be doing. Biafra remains a national catastrophe that can never be forgotten especially by the victims of Eastern Nigeria. The best anyone can do to ensure such ugly side of our history never repeats itself is an attempt at genuine national reconciliation. The call for a national conference would at best arrive at the conclusions of the Aburi accord which holds the key to our national unity. Anything short or that is a journey to no where.

Nigeria - Agarachaa must come back. On Aburi we stand.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by willy4: 11:58am On Dec 19, 2007
EmekaNaija:

The call for a national conference would at best arrive at the conclusions of the Aburi accord which holds the key to our national unity. Anything short or that is a journey to no where.
Nigeria - Agarachaa must come back. On Aburi we stand.
Nigerians not have ears, so they don't , , On Fulani/Hausa accord they must perish
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by AfroCynic: 9:14pm On Dec 19, 2007
When your new Country, the 'People's Rebublic of Biafra {PRB} is created, may I carry your passport? Since you are never gonna be able to prove that I am not Igbo,

I also like Igbo men, maybe we can meet at the border?

I am sure the PRB will be a fine country as soon as you sort out your air space rights, negotiate your boundaries with all the other interested parties and so on, Me sha, I hope everyone goes back to his father's compound.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 19, 2007
[size=24pt] Igbo have forgiven Nigeria – Ojukwu[/size]

Adelani Adepegba, Enugu
Published: Saturday, 8 Dec 2007

[b]Former Biafran warlord, Chief Chukwuemeka Ojukwu on Friday relived the bitter experiences of the 1967 civil war in which many Igbo were killed.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
File

Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu

He said that though Igbo had forgiven Nigeria for the suffering inflicted on them before and during the war, they were yet to forget what happened.

Addressing participants at a memorial lecture to mark the 40th anniversary of the 1967 massacre of Igbo in the North organised by the Igbo Youth Movement in Enugu, Ojukwu said Igbo, as Christians, had forgiven Nigeria over the horrors perpetrated against them

He said, “I want the whole world to know that Igbo have forgiven, as Christians. But will never forget. We will never forget as human beings. Anytime the incident is being remembered, let all of us come out. We are not coming together to revenge, but we will never forget.”

He added, “If I forget the war, I have forgotten my history because our fathers and mothers were killed.”[/b]

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200712083302239

The green fonts symbolise Nigeria, anyperson still talking about secession is plotting to drag themselves back not NDIGBO

I DECLARE THIS THREAD CLOSED
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by romeo(m): 10:30am On Dec 20, 2007
Nonsense!!!
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by EmekaNaija(m): 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Afrocynic

I dont think Biafra is the topic of discussion here. It is about grown men willfully making a false attempt to re-write history by putting up lies on sale about the Nigerian-Biafra war. Meanwhile Biafra as it was then was the whole eastern Nigria.
I hate when people, like you describe, Biafra as an igbo country. Philip effiong and other biafran officers were not Igbos. Please do not deceive our young fellas. Biafra is a region around the bight of Biafra/guinea in southern Nigeria - from Rivers to Akwaibom, cross rivers and to the igbo hinterland of imo, and anambra as it was then known.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Sijien(m): 12:59am On Dec 21, 2007
abeg jo this topic no just catch fire at all. if nutter and chxta were still around na another matter we for dey yarn here

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Northern Yam Farmers To Raise N5bn For Buhari’s Campaign / Falana To DSS: Release Sowore, Bakare And Stop Exposing Nigeria To Ridicule / Buhari Mourns Isa Funtua, Says He Stood By Him During His Political journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.