Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

The Seventh-day Adventist Church-2 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Seventh-day Adventist Church-2 (132 Views)

The Seventh-day Adventist Church / Pastor Jean Pierre-Maywa Beaten By Seventh Day Adventist Church Members In Kenya / Thunder Lightning Strikes At Rwanda Seventh-Day Adventist Church Kills 16 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Seventh-day Adventist Church-2 by eviana3(f): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2021
Have been banned (3) times since Friday (with no reason) so I couldn't post. Sorry that I have to use my alternate.

(Continued from The Seventh-day Adventist Church under my main moniker "Eviana"wink

A brief summary of the church's history and "founders" revolves around William Miller, (a former Baptist minister) to whom the "Millerite" movement was named after.
Miller is best known for his belief that Christ' imminent return would be in 1844....(later termed the "Great Disappointment).
While Miller had the date right, he had the event wrong. Something did occur in 1844 concerning Christ, but it was not His second coming.
Some followers left the faith and the remaining studied what happened in 1844...and where they went wrong in their belief....hence the birth of Seventh-day Adventists.

The three prominent figures (or founders) to emerge during that time were also members of other denominations---before formally becoming "adventists".
They were James & Ellen G. White (husband/wife) and Joseph Bates.

In the church's beliefs are "Spiritual Gifts/Ministry" & "The Gift of Prophecy", (both scripturally based).
Ellen G. White is the messenger of God that Seventh-day Adventists believe God chose to reveal important messages regarding prophecy & Christian living.

What many people do not know is that she was not the original person chosen to do this important, sobering work. There were (2) men before her who refused the call of God and who later admitted it. So God called and although reluctant at first, she accepted.

Mrs. White (who had a third/fourth grade education) had written over 5000 periodicals and 40 books during her lifetime. She is one of the most widely translated authors in history and covers a very wide range of subjects including prophetic events/prophecy, councils on
health/diet, dress reform, Christian living/ relationships etc.

One thing that was stated by the powerful N.L. member was that Mrs. White's books are revered more (by me) than the bible. However, his statement is false. Seventh-day Adventists get accused frequently of idolizing Mrs. White more than the bible.
While there may be some in the faith who tend to venture towards fanaticism....the official statement of the church is to hold the bible as the ultimate authority. That is what I do....the bible first. The majority of my posts and interactions have revolved around the bible.

I have also repeatedly used Isaiah 8:20 (KJV) as my reference for anyone who claims or claimed to be a "prophet/prophetess"/messenger of God...including Ellen G. White and I, personally, am convinced that she indeed was.

Out of her 40 books written, I chose to highlight (2) of her books here on N.L.
I posted (3) chapters from one of the most important books that I have ever read, "The Great Controversy"--an historical, present and future book of prophecy for the world-- and (2) chapters from another of the most important books I have ever read, "The Desire of Ages" --an account of the life & Ministry of Jesus Christ--.

What I found interesting is that a rather popular Nairaland member (who I don't even believe is religious in the least bit) even referenced one of her writings in support of a thread he created regarding relationships! How I even found that thread had to only have been through the Holy Spirit. So even the non-religious see the God-given wisdom in her writings

Mrs. White's books were never to take the position of being greater than the greatest book on earth--the bible. She even stated that numerous times. The messages and prophecy were to always line up with scripture....

An accusation was hurled regarding my personal stance on women NOT being called to "pastoral ministry" and yet Ellen White (a member of the SDA church) being a messenger of God.
She was a prophetess....not a pastor or elder.
As I have stated numerous times on Nairaland via multiple threads, women have been called to ministry. Women are very special in God's eyes and oftentimes are the backbone of the church.

Examples: Deborah, Esther, Miriam, and many more etc.,

Women fulfill countless roles within the church (including prophesying), however, "pastoring" is not one of them.
God has equipped and called men to head the church (pastoring) in that capacity.
I know that many will disagree with me and that's ok.
Re: The Seventh-day Adventist Church-2 by epainos: 10:59am On Oct 31, 2023

(1) (Reply)

What Fruits Are You Bearing? / How Is The Remadan Atmospher In Your Area. / "Acquaint Now Thyself With Him."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.