Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 (46308 Views)

Bus Bursts Into Flames On Third Mainland Bridge (Pictures) / Car Crashes Into Building In Lagos. One Dead, Another Injured / Robot Dogs In Driverless Vans Are The Delivery System Of The Future - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by LordReed(m): 9:54am On Apr 19, 2021
Anthony0094:
How is that possible I thought they said that this car cannot have an accident

They can't use that kind of language or else they'll be sued. They'll most likely say the car is safer than human controlled cars.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by arukwe123(m): 10:01am On Apr 19, 2021
iyimide:
I once ordered UBER in Europe.. Na so car come driverless.. I just cancelled the trip jeje
oga suffry dey lie na. Mr LIEnus. Abeg Abeg

1 Like

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Fejoku: 10:01am On Apr 19, 2021
TheSociopath:
No pain, no gain. Throughout history, people have been sacrificed for the improvement of technology. May we not be unfortunate
Cold and savage but true nonetheless. While AI aerial vehicles might be successful I have my doubts for the road plying ones. Too many obstacles to avoid on the ground and split seconds decisions decide whether it's a crash or not. The probability for crashes should be higher for AI road vehicles than for humans especially within heavily populated settlements with obstacles around.
The likely saving grace is if there's a low fixed speed limit for auto-driving.

1 Like

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Folabifreeman(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2021
lekki1444:
May the LORD be with you my brother. Go in peace

Omg shut up
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lekki1444: 10:04am On Apr 19, 2021
Folabifreeman:

Omg shut up
you seem to be under some sort of distress my brother, how can I help you out ? can i send some few dollars into your aza ?
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by PAWG(m): 10:04am On Apr 19, 2021
Naybahood:
See better law suit

500 million dollars

They were passengers not passersby, a law suit is highly unlikely
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 19, 2021
Tesla clearly states driverless cars should be closely monitored
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by PAWG(m): 10:06am On Apr 19, 2021
ItsGoodToBeGood:
“There was no-one in the driver’s seat"
Sergeant Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris
County Constable Precinct 4 said.

Provided there is a provision for manual driving, na them kill themselves...
No Igbo man will loose guard like that.

#Don't Trust Anything

How about the ones they catch at airports almost every week, which ‘loose guard’ pass that one?

1 Like

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Wilespo: 10:08am On Apr 19, 2021
TheAviator:
Two men have died after a Tesla vehicle, which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver's seat, crashed into a tree on Saturday night north of Houston, authorities said.

Key points:
•After the fire was extinguished, authorities located two occupants in the vehicle, with one in the front passenger seat and the other in the back seat of the Tesla

•The accident comes amid growing scrutiny over Tesla's semi-automated driving system following recent accidents

•The US auto safety agency said in March it had opened 27 investigations into crashes of Tesla vehicles

“There was no-one in the driver’s seat," Sergeant Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said.

The 2019 Tesla Model S was travelling at high speed when it failed to negotiate a curve and went off the roadway, crashing to a tree and bursting into flames, local television station KHOU-TV said.

After the fire was extinguished, authorities located two occupants in the vehicle, with one in the front passenger seat and the other in the back seat, the report said, citing Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman.

Tesla and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The accident comes amid growing scrutiny over Tesla's semi-automated driving system following recent accidents, and as it is preparing to launch its updated "full self-driving" software to more customers.

The US auto safety agency said in March it had opened 27 investigations into crashes of Tesla vehicles. At least three of the crashes occurred recently.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in January that he expected huge profits from the company's full self-driving software, saying he was "highly confident the car will be able to drive itself with reliability in excess of human this year".

The self-driving technology must overcome safety and regulatory hurdles to achieve commercial success.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-19/two-dead-tesla-driverless-crash-houston-exas/100078068?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf245076799&utm_campaign=fb_abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf245076799=1

.....instincts tells me that there are people who dont subscribe to this idea of a semi automated driven vehicle and they are just trying to sabotage the developments of TESLA......if na me me MUSK, na to stick to electric vehicle before he becomes known as the maker of killer cars
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lordlugards: 10:09am On Apr 19, 2021
lekki1444:
grin driverless car means a zombie. so a zombie crashed into a man( i see men as trees mark 8 vs 24 ) and then crashed and burned killing the twin tower in the 28th state to be admitted into the union. Ladies and gents the tree that the zombie crashed into is the tree of life.

GOD IS SPEAKING HERE. CAN YOU HEAR THE MESSAGE ?
I've red this your comment about 7 times, each time with a loud laugh.

Wetin you chop this morning.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by FA13(m): 10:09am On Apr 19, 2021
The vehicle is not a full autonomous car. A driver ought to be at the driver's seat to take control when it was deviating.

It is rather unfortunate but they are responsible for the death.

This will hamper Tesla progress anyway.

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lekki1444: 10:11am On Apr 19, 2021
lordlugards:
I've red this your comment about 7 times, each time with a loud laugh.

Wetin you chop this morning.
cheesy cheesy cheesy I chop leftover Rice and beans from yesterday. grin

but you see its no coincidence that you read it 7 times. you are corroborating the message by reading it 7 times. 7 is completion. The message in that event indicates a completion of a ruling authority. Perhaps the dawn of a new age and era is upon us
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by TheSociopath(m): 10:11am On Apr 19, 2021
Fejoku:

Cold and savage but true nonetheless. While AI aerial vehicles might be successful I have my doubts for the road plying ones. Too many obstacles to avoid on the ground and split seconds decisions decide whether it's a crash or not. The probability for crashes should be higher for AI road vehicles than for humans especially within heavily populated settlements with obstacles around.
The likely saving grace is if there's a low fixed speed limit for auto-driving.

You are right, but eventually they will get it right. Look at everything under Alphabet inc. today. I mean, those days, Google was merely a search engine and email services provider. Now, after billions of lines of code, see how seamless you can get information online these days. Look at YouTube, Google Suite (mail, chat, meet, docs, sheets, etc).

If it's for Tesla to improve hardware, write more codes, employ more researchers, they will eventually get it right
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Martialb1(m): 10:12am On Apr 19, 2021
Cauhlins:
This is just sad and a downside of driverless cars. Quick question for the experts: Aren't driverless cars equipped to auto detect obstacles? If yes, how did this happen?

A proper investigation needs to be carried out

Bro it did not encounter an obstacle. From what was written it failed to negotiate a turn due to speed or something.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Twelfthman: 10:13am On Apr 19, 2021
Why not use manual driving. Its safe! I am not saying the Tesla car was hack but there are chances the car could also be remotely control or hack.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Offpoint1: 10:13am On Apr 19, 2021
EzzyCarter:
As much as this self-driving tech is a wonderful innovation from Tesla, I definitely won't take any chance making use of it on Nigerian Terrain. trust me, these horrible roads and reckless drivers defy human intelligence so trusting an AI driven car with your life would definitely be suicidal cheesy. You've only got one life
Imagine fully automated car in Lagosgringrin
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lordlugards: 10:15am On Apr 19, 2021
lekki1444:
cheesy cheesy cheesy I chop leftover Rice and beans from yesterday. grin

but you see its no coincidence that you read it 7 times. you are corroborating the message by reading it 7 times. 7 is completion. The message in that event indicates a completion of a ruling authority. Perhaps the dawn of a new age and era is upon us
udontmeanit.

Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by alizma: 10:15am On Apr 19, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
such a case will be read on arrival, even if you're using the driverless feature, it's mandated for an experienced human driver to still be behind the steering wheel. Both passengers were not
Please what is the use of an experience driver behind the wheel of a driverless car moving at 150 to 180kph that unexpectedly swerve off the road?
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lekki1444: 10:16am On Apr 19, 2021
lordlugards:
udontmeanit.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by JustASeer: 10:22am On Apr 19, 2021
I don't understand. The car doesn't uses fuel so how did it get burnt.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by xtervaganza(m): 10:25am On Apr 19, 2021
Naybahood:
See better law suit

500 million dollars
kobo dem no go get. Tesla already said the car should be manned always and not 100% autonomous so their death is just sara.

You can go to their site to read about it. And it's also part of what you agreed to while buying it
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by o2naira(m): 10:35am On Apr 19, 2021
Even aeroplane that operates with software still has 2pilots to fly it,such carelessness tesla cars won't sell in nigeria,software that can contact viruses.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by richie240: 10:36am On Apr 19, 2021
oyibo ppl and rough play sha!
Even driving with both hands sef accident dey happen talk less of computer-driven wey fit 'shutdown' at any moment.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Ckonnet: 10:40am On Apr 19, 2021
And the model in which Tesla derived his AI model is not top notch.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by WaffenSS(m): 10:43am On Apr 19, 2021
Olam09:
Technology can never replace human, it still needs human to function. That's how they wanna replace teachers with robot that's fuckíng impossible!

Well, most passenger jetliners practically fly themselves, so of course software has been ferrying humans for a long time.

There were many crashes and deaths before flying became safe and routine.

Level 5 cars on FSD are an inevitability.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Sazeals(m): 10:46am On Apr 19, 2021
lekki1444:
grin driverless car means a zombie. so a zombie crashed into a man( i see men as trees mark 8 vs 24 ) and then crashed and burned killing the twin tower in the 28th state to be admitted into the union. Ladies and gents the tree that the zombie crashed into is the tree of life.

GOD IS SPEAKING HERE. CAN YOU HEAR THE MESSAGE ?
stfu!
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Autogduru411: 10:46am On Apr 19, 2021
tuoyoojo:
This is a big blow to Telsa o

I pray they survive this

Machines always have their limits

The body is made up of fibre and not steel
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by lekki1444: 10:47am On Apr 19, 2021
Sazeals:

stfu!
it is well with you my brother. Go in peace
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Sazeals(m): 10:47am On Apr 19, 2021
Olam09:
Technology can never replace human, it still needs human to function. That's how they wanna replace teachers with robot that's fuckíng impossible!
that's more possible than a driverless car
a robot teacher will be so much simple
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Sazeals(m): 10:50am On Apr 19, 2021
Cauhlins:
This is just sad and a downside of driverless cars. Quick question for the experts: Aren't driverless cars equipped to auto detect obstacles? If yes, how did this happen?

A proper investigation needs to be carried out
they auto detect obstacles with prolly a supervised and unsupervised model.

am sure the vehicle would have avoided all obstacles b4 reaching the tree, in conclusion the cause of the accident might be an analyzing issue, the tree not coming into the computer vision's view and it is said that it was traveling at high speed.
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by PotatoSalad(m): 10:53am On Apr 19, 2021
Naybahood:
See better law suit

500 million dollars
Go and read tesla TOA
Re: Tesla Driverless Car Crashes Into Tree & Bursts Into Flames In Texas, Killing 2 by Sazeals(m): 10:54am On Apr 19, 2021
lekki1444:
it is well with you my brother. Go in peace
lol, but change the quote go in peace is synonymous to rest in peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FRSC Car Carrying Luggage At Osogbo (photo) / A 2023 Mercedes-Benz AMG G 63 Spotted On Its Way From The Port / See 30 Of The Weirdest Car Accidents (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.