Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,781 members, 7,827,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates (18076 Views)

Job Search Pitfalls: Beware Of These Red Flags! / We’re Currently Interviewing Candidates For Our Next Course / Top 7 Skills And Qualities Employers Look For In Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by TalentUpAfrica: 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2021
Hiring, among all the other responsibilities of the hiring manager is the most critical task because the outcome of this exercise determines a company’s overall productivity.

Hiring wrongly increases a company’s overhead cost and at the same time reduces its productivity which apparently keeps the organization at the lose.

Interview red flags are indications that an employee won’t work out in the long run as planned or expected by the employer.

Having foreknowledge or understanding of what to watch out for in candidates during the interview stage is a great way to avert the likelihoods of hiring wrongly.

Below are a few pointers to help spot a potentially poor employee.

1. Appearance

Remember the fashion saying: you’re addressed the way you dress.

This is still very true because what you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially in situations where there are likely no second opportunities to make great and lasting impressions.

A candidate’s mode of dressing speaks a lot about their ethics, philosophy and dispensation to work.

A poor or unkempt dressing style is an indication of disorderliness and candidates with such attributes are likely never going to be productive in structured environments.

2. Punctuality

Candidates who arrive late to an interview session without giving prior notice shows lack of time management skills.

Such candidates will have difficulty keeping to deadlines and meeting up with deliverables. As such candidates give little to no priority to time.

And proper time management is a driver to productivity.

3. Perception and State of Mind

During interviews ask candidates questions that show their perception about life, and the workplace.

Ask questions that give insight to their state of mind, their inter relational skills and emotional intelligence.

Candidates who hold excessive pessimism about life or talk badly about their previous employers or colleagues have difficulty accommodating others and that’s a poor sign or lack of team playing spirit.

Collaboration of course is a sauce to the development and growth of an organization and optimistic candidates on the other hand are wired with problem solving, collaborating and conflict management skills.

4. Communication skills

Candidates ability to properly listen to conversations without losing an ounce of the smallest point made is an indication that they pay attention to details.

Also, candidates’ ability to convey their thoughts and ideas properly either via speaking and writing, is a key indicator to employees’ performance at the workplace.

As this is additionally, a measure of their ability to effectively understand, process and deliver simple or complex concepts within a required time frame.

5. Accountability skill

Lastly, accountability skill is the measure of discipline and commitment to set priorities and goals.

Candidates who are highly disciplined show great accountability to themselves, others and tasks designated to them.

Ask candidates questions that reflect how accountable and committed they can be to themselves, others and tasks assigned to them especially when they are under no supervision.

https://blog.talentup.africa/interview-red-flags/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by mashad(m): 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
Insightful post.....FTC atlast

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Coldie(m): 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
I once went to a interview, since d job wasn't paying well I refused to dress too serious.

Answered all the questions and they told me y am I behaving asif I own the company, I told them how.

They said I am behaving over confident.

I told them thank you, next thing they said y am I sleeves folded I told them my long sleeve is too long. Next thing they told me y am I sagging I told them my trouser is too short.

They said they will call me.

I just leave them go bar go chill with their rubbish work

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by affable4(m): 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
More reason why HR professionals need to be good in psychology.

6 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by thesicilian: 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
Personally I find it very difficult to employ candidates who talk bad about their former employers

15 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Incognito403: 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2021
Okay.

TBH, I believe a desperate job seeker will pass all these especially the part about attention to details.

That said, humans are just like cars (especially Naija used). Every model has it's downside. Its left to you to choose which fault you can tolerate.

If a perfect person is what you want, na there you go sleep!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by emmanuel596(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2021
We pray to be bigger and richer than going for job interviews that will pay us peanuts and use as like slaves amen

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by wunmi590(m): 1:05pm On Apr 26, 2021
cool
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by NaughtyBrainiac: 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2021
I know so many people will wonder why someone is posting a content for employers when the ratio of employees/job seekers to employers on Nairaland is maybe ratio 1000:1. Lol

As an employee/job seeker, just go through the tips and use it to prepare yourself for interviews. At least, you now know some of the things not to do. Lol

9 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by seyz91(m): 1:08pm On Apr 26, 2021
cheesy
NwaNimo1:
6) Banditry......do they resemble a 'Hoodlum', Bandit or Terrorist in the making?

[img]https://media1./images/7d5b9d7341d10667f2867a892370eb28/tenor.gif?itemid=13738821[/img]

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2021
I was in an interview training last week and it is interesting to see how companies in Canada view candidates vs the Nigerian perspective.

For example in my training, we were specifically told that dressing does not have any bearing on work performance. I am not advocating going to an interview in dirty clothes but if you think about it, what does it matter if you are dressing in a suit or you rock up in shorts?

For full disclosure, I work in IT, so maybe we just do not care how people dress

I do agree that both the interviewer and the candidate should be on time for the interview.

When I was in Nigeria my experience was that interviewers, rarely ever were on time and most were very unprofessional and rude.

28 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by ibnquasale(m): 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2021
All the listed points can’t determine anything. It maybe useful for some type of jobs though... have u met IT guys?

4 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by money121(m): 1:12pm On Apr 26, 2021
Ok
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Josaj(m): 1:12pm On Apr 26, 2021
Let me even have the interview first.
I'm open for job offers in real estate, management, construction and other fields.
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Stevosty: 1:15pm On Apr 26, 2021
Yes, after employing your unqualified friends and family, wasting candidates time right?

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Cashio(m): 1:20pm On Apr 26, 2021
You see the dressing aspect, I feel trapped whenever I dress too formal. I've been like that since I knew myself. I don't dress dirty, but I don't dress formal...
While in school, lecturers will always term me unserious till they get to interact personally with me. I keep hairs, most times I do dreads.
Even in my current job as a site architect, I keep dreads until I had to Barb cos of my dad's burial.
And I do not think any of my colleagues who dresses more formal and professional performs better than myself.

I believe there are some persons who share same mindset.

15 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by omonnakoda: 1:38pm On Apr 26, 2021
"Appearance " is so wrong and superficial
Ultimately only matters in industries where "uniformity" is desirable

In the GEEKY world of IT it would be foolish to look at appearance as a basis for employing people

This applies equally across many technological areas for example if Ferrari is looking for a designer do they look at his dressing?
Does it matter how you dress if your job is to develop a vaccine that works?

8 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Oluwaricky88(m): 1:38pm On Apr 26, 2021
bro I need your help.. I need to learn skills
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by rawtouch: 1:47pm On Apr 26, 2021
wink
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Centrepage(m): 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2021
Some should help me I need a job, I have experience as a sales Engineer, and sales representative in fmcg I base in Lagos. This is my mail ikphemihope@gmail.com
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Tapout(m): 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2021
There are certain roles where dressing can be considered but it shouldn't be used to judge one's personality. After all nobody dey wear cooperate work for house. Me na boxers I dey wear when I dey work remotely. I wear a shirt/polo only when there's a zoom/skype meeting or I remain on my boxers if it isn't compulsory to switch my camera on. The aim of employing someone is to get a job done!!! This our mentality go change, na gradual process. B4 now most companies in Nigeria didn't know remote work was possible.

10 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Commanderinpips: 1:52pm On Apr 26, 2021
GeneralShepherd:
I was in an interview training last week and it is interesting to see how companies in Canada view candidates vs the Nigerian perspective.

For example in my training, we were specifically told that dressing does not have any bearing on work performance. I am not advocating going to an interview in dirty clothes but if you think about it, what does it matter if you are dressing in a suit or you rock up in shorts?

For full disclosure, I work in IT, so maybe we just do not care how people dress

I do agree that both the interviewer and the candidate should be on time for the interview.

When I was in Nigeria my experience was that interviewers, rarely ever were on time and most were very unprofessional and rude.

You are right, where I work presently I invited my boss for us to visit some of our client and I was trying to suggest some mode of dressing, he told me dressing really don't matter that after 2 minutes of seeing any client the client only focus on topic of discussion.

Note : I work with a multi national company and my boss is a white guy. But I will still advice anyone appear neat and simple for any interview.

5 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by fatymore(f): 1:54pm On Apr 26, 2021
If I no get clothes nko grin
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Happycharles(m): 2:01pm On Apr 26, 2021
Alot of emphasis on the wrong things. My Own be how to interview the company myself and be sure I will not regret being employed by them. A lot of company claiming what they are not.

4 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by martooski(m): 2:16pm On Apr 26, 2021
Josaj:
Let me even have the interview first.
I'm open for job offers in real estate, management, construction and other fields.

Please include your preferred location.

God bless you
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by chukkystar(m): 2:24pm On Apr 26, 2021
You are not 100percent correct with number 1. Cos very smart people actually are disorganized. So appearance shouldn't be a major factor cos anybody can fake it to make it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by smasher1(m): 2:24pm On Apr 26, 2021
Coldie:
I once went to a interview, since d job wasn't paying well I refused to dress too serious.

Answered all the questions and they told me y am I behaving asif I own the company, I told them how.

I told them thank you, next thing they said y am I sleeves folded I told them my long sleeve is too long. Next thing they told me y am I sagging I told them my trouser is too short.

Wrong move. If you are not interested, then why waste the time going for interview.
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by OpinionCounts(m): 2:31pm On Apr 26, 2021
Coldie:

Guy, u got me laughing so loud.. grin cheesy grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by EmmaxKeys: 2:32pm On Apr 26, 2021
Yenny4real. wink
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by rafcrown(m): 3:19pm On Apr 26, 2021
No Introduction Letter from a serving Minister!!!!

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by rafcrown(m): 3:23pm On Apr 26, 2021
I went for an interview and got there late.I reported for duty first before going for the interview, similar job,organisation and location. I was the first on the list so I disturbed all their arrangements.
They repeated it several times that the coming late will be recorded.

(1) (2) (Reply)

RD Nigeria Invites / Apply For INEC Ad-hoc Staff For Osun Election / Fcmb Treating Staffs As Slaves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.