Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,416 members, 7,843,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates (18095 Views)

Job Search Pitfalls: Beware Of These Red Flags! / We’re Currently Interviewing Candidates For Our Next Course / Top 7 Skills And Qualities Employers Look For In Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Roon9(m): 3:38pm On Apr 26, 2021
W
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by SunTzu123(m): 4:19pm On Apr 26, 2021
GeneralShepherd:
I was in an interview training last week and it is interesting to see how companies in Canada view candidates vs the Nigerian perspective.

For example in my training, we were specifically told that dressing does not have any bearing on work performance. I am not advocating going to an interview in dirty clothes but if you think about it, what does it matter if you are dressing in a suit or you rock up in shorts?

For full disclosure, I work in IT, so maybe we just do not care how people dress

I do agree that both the interviewer and the candidate should be on time for the interview.

When I was in Nigeria my experience was that interviewers, rarely ever were on time and most were very unprofessional and rude.

Also, abroad, it is considered unprofessional for you to ask if the candidate is married! Truth is, while the dynamics of every country is different, new realities are rapidly redefining recruitment and employment. We are still far behind though.

1 Like

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 26, 2021
GeneralShepherd:
I was in an interview training last week and it is interesting to see how companies in Canada view candidates vs the Nigerian perspective.

For example in my training, we were specifically told that dressing does not have any bearing on work performance. I am not advocating going to an interview in dirty clothes but if you think about it, what does it matter if you are dressing in a suit or you rock up in shorts?

For full disclosure, I work in IT, so maybe we just do not care how people dress

I do agree that both the interviewer and the candidate should be on time for the interview.

When I was in Nigeria my experience was that interviewers, rarely ever were on time and most were very unprofessional and rude.
Very true with what you said some are unprofessional & rude ,there's one particular interview I attended last year I never knew the said lady would be the one to conduct the interview ,immediately she came in from the cleaner to the rest workers she was just insulting them one after the other ,meanwhile I have been around since after 7 not until after 12 she attended to me .infact to work with people like that it takes the grace of God.

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Coldie(m): 4:35pm On Apr 26, 2021
smasher1:

Wrong move. If you are not interested, then why waste the time going for interview.
That's how to treat all day employers who want to pay graduate 20k cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Go there and instead of them interviewing you, interview them.

And go back home it's a good way to catch cruise

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Codes151(m): 5:04pm On Apr 26, 2021
All this is thrash.
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by ITbomb(m): 5:16pm On Apr 26, 2021
chukkystar:
You are not 100percent correct with number 1. Cos very smart people actually are disorganized. So appearance shouldn't be a major factor cos anybody can fake it to make it.
If I have a skilled base job, I rather not look for appearance. It should just be neat not obvious
Except it's a routine or admin job

2 Likes

Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by jasonex4(m): 5:20pm On Apr 26, 2021
TalentUpAfrica:

https://blog.talentup.africa/interview-red-flags/

Most of these red flags aren't supposed to be there in the first instance...

Someone who hasn't had a job for more than 5 years and has been living from hand to mouth, where do you expect him to get a suit to wear for the interview...just saying...

I tend to stutter when speaking (although writing is a different ball game entirely grin), so i usually compensate ny speaking fast, and some interviewers tend to view this as nervousness... nervousness my foot... I answered your questions correctly, but because i stuttered, you say I'm nervous... Nonsense....

Interviewers (especially HR personnel) should put themselves in the shoes of the applicants and understand how they feel before giving their final remarks...

Just my thoughts
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by jasonex4(m): 5:20pm On Apr 26, 2021
TalentUpAfrica:

https://blog.talentup.africa/interview-red-flags/

Most of these red flags aren't supposed to be there in the first instance...

Someone who hasn't had a job for more than 5 years and has been living from hand to mouth, where do you expect him to get a suit to wear for the interview...just saying...

I tend to stutter when speaking (although writing is a different ball game entirely grin), so i usually compensate ny speaking fast, and some interviewers tend to view this as nervousness... nervousness my foot... I answered your questions correctly, but because i stuttered, you say I'm nervous... Nonsense....

Interviewers (especially HR personnel) should put themselves in the shoes of the applicants and understand how they feel before giving their final remarks...

Just my thoughts
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by jasonex4(m): 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2021
Commanderinpips:

You are right, where I work presently I invited my boss for us to visit some of our client and I was trying to suggest some mode of dressing, he told me dressing really don't matter that after 2 minutes of seeing any client the client only focus on topic of discussion.

Note : I work with a multi national company and my boss is a white guy. But I will still advice anyone appear neat and simple for any interview.

Hello, can i please come and work with you guys Please
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by 93RD(m): 7:17pm On Apr 26, 2021
Do your Job, but don't try to frustrate people more by making it pretty difficult for no reason undecided.
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Vulcan24(m): 7:33pm On Apr 26, 2021
Communication and attention is the key thing in interview
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by okwadatigbogal: 7:52pm On Apr 26, 2021
Commanderinpips:

You are right, where I work presently I invited my boss for us to visit some of our client and I was trying to suggest some mode of dressing, he told me dressing really don't matter that after 2 minutes of seeing any client the client only focus on topic of discussion.

Note : I work with a multi national company and my boss is a white guy. But I will still advice anyone appear neat and simple for any interview.

My dear, nah Nigerian one man business where they are paying 30k that wants one to be wearing suit and tie that your salary cannot afford. If you work for oyibos - not indians and Asians ooh, them no send dressing at all! Even Chinese people are not big on dressing, but Nigerian owned one-man business eeeh....na wa
Re: Red Flags To Look For When Interviewing Candidates by Commanderinpips: 9:29pm On Apr 26, 2021
okwadatigbogal:

My dear, nah Nigerian one man business where they are paying 30k that wants one to be wearing suit and tie that your salary cannot afford. If you work for oyibos - not indians and Asians ooh, them no send dressing at all! Even Chinese people are not big on dressing, but Nigerian owned one-man business eeeh....na wa

Exactly, many times I wonder who laid curse on Nigeria, even the so called multi national company have been hijacked by Nigerian contractors who paid peanuts to contract staff while claiming millions on their behalf. At other times some Nigerian advice the multinational company not to pay their Nigeria workers what is applicable in the multinational company country of origin, this is not hear say I am very aware of this wickedness except you know your worth and very good at what you do one may fall victim.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Your CV Will Not Attract Any Employer / List Of Confirmed Fake Job Venues And Companies / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.