Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko (4576 Views)

What A Great Loss To The Country, RIP PROFESSOR MOBOLAJI / Nigeriadecide 2015:postpone Or Not To Postpone?the Question By Mobolaji E. Aluko / 2011 Presidential Elections: Results From Up North- CPC calling the shots so far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by ktjohnpaul(m): 6:31pm On Apr 21, 2011
Chris Okotie rejects presidential polls, calls for Interim Govt! Translation If elections were not rigged, he would have emerged the winner! LOL.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by edicolove: 6:35pm On Apr 21, 2011
Let PDP repeat what it did last Saturday on 26th April and every corners and crannies of this country will witness anarchy Unprecedented in the electoral history of this nation. Look out for the states in SS and SE where opposition is very strong. They together knew how GEJ was rigged into power, I think no party will want to be outsmarted come Tuesday.

deluded cpc supporters who think the Ibos will be so silly to vote for a silly almajiri leader who encourages their slaughter. you are truly deluded. get off your computer and get real facts on the ground. the only votes cpc got last week from SE and SS were from mallams selling kola and onions. there is very little oposition in SS and SE. the few people who have gotten a little attention as opposition are ex-PDP members who didnt get tickets in PDP. Ngige is ex-PDP.  Akpan-Udoedehe from akwa ibom lost to akpabio in the PDP primaries before decamping. check all the other candidates of the opposition, 80% or more of them are disgruntled PDP members. The only opposition in the SE is APGA and APGA endorsed GEJ. There is no opposition on the ground in SS. They are all PDP states and their governors have all done very well so they will be returned by the people. dont deluded yourself.

did you see anybody complaining in the south? no because they know they voted and their vote counted. it was all congratulations in lagos. everyone was very happy. in a boot near my house, PDP recorded about 3810 votes to beat second place acn with 256 votes and cpc with 85 votes. cpc my foot. the anarchy will only happen in your dreams.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by naso2(m): 6:37pm On Apr 21, 2011

Next, let us look at Lagos State:  1,945,044 voters in the presidential elections, out of 6,108,069 registered voters for a 31.8% voter turn out.

But on April 9 we had (again using INEC figures):

- Lagos Central: 301,570 voters  (won by ACN's Remi Tinubu 202,506)

- Lagos East: 320,372 total voters (won ACN's Gbenga Ashafa 222,439)

- Lagos West: 812,924 total voters (won by ACN's Ganiyu Solomon 503,786)

-------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: 1,434,866 total voters

------------------------------------------------

This amounted to a 23.9% voter turn-out - meaning that the presidential turnout step-up by less than 10% was quite believable.

We saw various reports that said there was serious voter aparthy in THE sw. IF LAGOS COULD RECORD ALMOST HALF A MILLION NEW VOTERS AS COMPARED WITH THE PREVIOUS WEEK, THEN CAN ANYBODY TELL WHAT THE VOTER TURNOUT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE IF A YORUBAMAN WAS CONTESTING FOR THE POST OF PRESIDENT? iT MEANNS THE VOTER TURNOUT WOULD HAVE MOVED FROM 1.4M TO ATLEAST 3.5 MILLION IN ONE WEEK.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by seguno2: 6:50pm On Apr 21, 2011
seguno2:

The reality is that Buhari's CPC rigged in their own way in the states and areas where their supporteres dominate just as PDP did in their own dominant areas. It is certain that Jonathan would still have won with over 50% of total votes and 25% in more than 24 states and the FCT even without the work of some over-zealous governors and PDP chieftains in the SS & SE.
Whatever the case, Buhari's tacit endorsement of the cold blooded killiing of innocent southerners is awful, to say the least. He was offered the opportunity to call his troop of almajiris and under-aged voters to order on AlJazeera on Sunday evening but he kept singing about the elections been fraudulent  shocked  shocked  shocked
Obviously the young army officer who killed his fellow Igbo officers and men in the July 1966 counter-coup as reported on page 32 of:

http://www.omoigui.com/files/military_counterrebellion_july_1966.pdf

has not been able to overcome his hatred for non-hausa/fulanis Nigerians.

Buhari is simply a heartless and selfish person despite his pretentions to the contrary- tears or no tears embarassed embarassed
Thank God he will never be our president anymore.
Btw, if the migrant from Niger Republic knew he was going to the court to appeal why did he subtly fuel and encourage the youths [that his military government failed to educate by cancelling the Universal Primary Education (UPE) in 1985] to go on a killing and destruction spree.
Maybe he is looking forward to be president of a Cemetry.   

the above was my first post to which you replied as below:

Blazing99:

@ Seguno2,
Did Buhari kill your dog or smething. cud u stop being unnecessarily sentimental with falsehood?

and I asked for clarification on the falsehood in my next response here:

seguno2:

You definitely realise that Buhari is all about killing anytime he does not have his way whether he is doing it himself as in the counter-coup of 1966 or having almajiris do it on his behalf screaming "death to unbelievers". Btw, I understand that unbelievers are labelled "dogs" by Buhari and his co-travellers. Is that true ?
Please list the falsehoods you identified in my post so I can respond comprehensively. I hope you will not tarry to do so.

apparently unable to list the falsehoods that you alluded to in your first response you started reaching out for floatsam like a drowning man in the sea as reflected in your last reply:

Blazing99:

Untill u got proof that an ex-general would stoop so low to let almagiris fight for him, or that he labelled non-muslims dogs, pls shut the helll up.

I guess I should have known better- like leader like follower- rather than give better reasoning to support your position you resort to distortions, shifting of goal posts and outright lies.
Yet dem go dey cry crocodile tears.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Gbenge77(m): 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2011
lionness:

@beaf

Yes, those child voters are the one who got the Goodluck biscuits, and that was how they were lured out to vote. A friend in the North said most of the underaged kids mostly voted in PDP strong areas. And dont make it sound as if GEJ wasnt the REALLY desperate candidate here. If he had lost, im sure the whole of Nigeria would still be burning courtsey of his militants folks.

@poster: valid points raised here. the truth is that, why would a region reported of mass rigging and electoral fraud during the NASS election be left unprobed? Most of the election in Bayelsa and Delta are been currently cancelled. And theres serious reports of rigging sprees all over the SS and SE. Shame I come from that side angry.
he had to garner around 99 percent of the votes in bayelsa to prove that he was really "popular" in his home zone
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by member479760: 7:38pm On Apr 21, 2011
d tin wey gaot see quiet, fowl see 'm dey shout! make d prof go sidon.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Abagworo(m): 8:09pm On Apr 21, 2011
I don't think GEJ's fraudulent victory will stand.I believe that either God or man will intervene to quench the fire that will ignite from this rape of democracy.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by agabaI23(m): 9:10pm On Apr 21, 2011
The Aluko guy also alleged that Bayelsa turn out was 107%, which shows that he has not been following the electoral process to know that the number of registered voters in some states increased to make the final 73.5m from the initial 67 million.

BTW is the Bolaji of nairaland and Nigerian development movement?
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Ddaji(m): 10:28pm On Apr 21, 2011
Actually there is alot of serious issues to be sout out in court with respect to last saturday presidential election.my office sent observers to all state of the federation.The guy sent to Bayelsa was telling us today that a particular polling unit he observered had 8oo names inthe voters register while 4oo voters did the accreditation exercises at the end 360 did the actual voting.if one analyse it is almost 38%. So there is no justication for over 8o% turn out.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Ddaji(m): 10:28pm On Apr 21, 2011
Actually there is alot of serious issues to be sout out in court with respect to last saturday presidential election.my office sent observers to all state of the federation.The guy sent to Bayelsa was telling us today that a particular polling unit he observered had 8oo names inthe voters register while 4oo voters did the accreditation exercises at the end 360 did the actual voting.if one analyse it is almost 38%. So there is no justication for over 8o% turn out.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:34pm On Apr 21, 2011
Ddaji:

Shebi this did not happen in the North?
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by reindeer: 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2011
I guess the NIgerian mentality is
'' Corruption isnt bad once it makes my countryman the president''.
Deep inside everyone knows the truth and someday it will come out or it will turn around to haunt us all.
Best wishes to GEJ as he tries to make the country work
LOng live NIgeria.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Ddaji(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2011
@chrisbenogor.My friend nairaland is a forum if you have any place that something like that happen share it with us.Remember is not every issue that you can bring sentiment on it.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Orikinla(m): 10:50pm On Apr 21, 2011
They are SHAMELES. I am SPEECHLESS. But I trust God to answer everyone accordingly. God save Nigeria.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by OmoTier1(m): 10:54pm On Apr 21, 2011
reindeer:

I guess the NIgerian mentality is
'' Corruption isnt bad once it makes my countryman the president''.
Deep inside everyone knows the truth and someday it will come out or it will turn around to haunt us all.
Best wishes to GEJ as he tries to make the country work
LOng live NIgeria.
God bless you for your objectivity and soundness of mind.Unlike that daft ethnic bigot warri worrior called beaf who thinks any body that speaks the truth or refuses to allow ethnic sentiment to be cloud thier sense of reasoning is an almajiri.
I repeat, anyone who looks vividly into the last NASS & Presidential results in SS & SE and fail to spot the difference is beclouded by ethnic sentiments and is untruthful in his or her ways.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Dede1(m): 10:57pm On Apr 21, 2011
@POST

I can not believe some of the so-called learned Nigerians still dwell in ethnic drivels. It is an unnecessary act of stupidity and disingenuous on the part of author to inject ethnic plight to the essay. The inclusion of “likeable Otuoke son with Ogbia-Ijaw name like Ebele (that can be confused with Ebel(r)echukwu and nickname Azikwe being the man to vote for, he was a shoo-in”

I am quite sure that Bolaji Aluko failed to inform us the real middle name of Goodluck Jonathan and how such name played with Ibibio, Ogoni, Annang, Efik or Ejagam who voted for Goodluck Jonathan.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by reindeer: 11:01pm On Apr 21, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

I can not believe some of the so-called learned Nigerians still dwell in ethnic drivels. It is an unnecessary act of stupidity and disingenuous on the part of author to inject ethnic plight to the essay. The inclusion of “likeable Otuoke son with Ogbia-Ijaw name like Ebele (that can be confused with Ebel(r)echukwu and nickname Azikwe being the man to vote for, he was a shoo-in”

I am quite sure that Bolaji Aluko failed to inform us the real middle name of Goodluck Jonathan and how such name played with Ibibio, Ogoni, Annang, Efik or Ejagam who voted for Goodluck Jonathan.

But did his post make sense?Don't leave the meat of the message and start looking for what nots.I do hope you get the drift of the whole essay.
I hope GEJ succeeds in rebuilding Nigeria, it will be in all our interests. Long live Nigeria.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by kawkab: 11:28pm On Apr 21, 2011
[tr][url]http:///forum/topics/7-reasons-buharibakare-will
[/url]

Reasons Buhari/bakare Will Lose The Elections Despite Growing Popularity!

Posted by Michael Ajayi on February 27, 2011 at 5:02pm in Politics
View Discussions

Let me start by acknowledging the fact that the Bakare pick by Buhari, has improved Buhari's fortunes desperately. In many online polls I've come across of recent, Buhari/ Bakare's popularity has skyrocted sometimes surpassing that of Jonathan. What I observed however, is that the biggest loser is Ribadu. All his fans seemed to drift enmass to the Buhari/Bakare ticket. Jonathan's popularity remains good, just a little less than the early days.
Given the fact that Buhari controls the North West with 19 Million Voters and has a pretty Good Showing in the South West, you would think Victory should be certain for CPC.
However, I'm 1000% sure that after a free and fair election come May 29th Buhari would not be anywhere near Aso rock for the simple reasons stated below

1)They are not campaigning
We have just 5 weeks to the elections and I can't see any sign of Buhari campaigning anywhere in Nigeria . He hasn't visited any states in the south or middle belt. No rallies whatsoever. Does he think everybody reads newspapers or have internet connection?? Ruralites which constitute the real voters in Nigeria have never heard about CPC. How are they going to give him votes. How is the farmer in Isale Egan, Arochukwu or Gbaramatu going to vote a Buhari he has has never heard about? Jonathan on the other hand is travelling everywhere despite the fact that he has the required visibility already.

2)The CPC has very limited structures
CPC has no structures in many states across the country. In fact, they didn't even field Governorship candidates in many states. Elections are won by politicians and not on the pages of newspapers. People actually think PDP wins because they rig. Thats far from the truth. PDP winS elections because they built structures across the country. Every Okada Association, Taxi drivers Asscoc, Market women group, and every other group that controls large swaths of REAL voters are all on the payroll of the PDP. The CPC structures start and finish in the North West and some states in the North East. Structures in the South West are shared between PDP and ACN. Without these structures, there is no way CPC is winning even 10% of the votes in the South West.

3)Jonathan's Popularity
It is not very often you see a popular incumbent. Jonathan is very popular, not because of his performance but because of the nature of his ascension. Nigeria is a very religious country and many people have come to believe that Jonathan has been propped up by God to bring change to the country. There is the impression amongst so many I've spoken with, that God will use Jonathan to change Nigeria.
Buhari knows this so well, so he calculatedly brings in a Pastor as running mate to tilt the balance. Was it a good strategy,I think very much so! Will it improve his fortunes, sadly I don't think so as Bakare is known to have discredited all the crowd pulling ministers including Adeboye whose he seems to be courting desperately these days.

4)Cash, Money and Finance
Seriously, in any election, Cash is King. Whether that Election is in America or Zimbabwe, Nigeria or New Zealand!! Obama raised $600million dollars to execute his election. Without that war-chest, he would have lost to McCain. Fact is, He bought that election legitimately!!
Nigeria is not an exception! Money rules! Donald Duke estimated that it would cost close to 20 Billion naira to execute a honest presidential election. And that's just for campaigning minus settlements. My opinion, 50 Billion wouldn' t even do. If Buhari can raise that money in 5 weeks, then trust me he stole it!!

The PDP can buy up all the almajiris in the North West with N1000 each and they would line up enmasse for Jonathan. 19 Million almajiris will cost the PDP only 19 Billion Naira= Now that's chicken change for a party that has controlled a the economy of a country with some of the world's finest oil wells.
On a serious note, where is Buhari going to get the money required to campaign across the nation in just 5 weeks.The man needs to advertise, billboards, posters, etc they all cost money !!

5)Jonathan is relaxed
Jonathan is so relaxed. When a man is so relaxed, you can tell that he has very little to worry about. The Buhari ticket would have worried the Jonathan camp if they had teamed up with ACN. But as it is always with the opposition their selfish interests carried the day.
Before the PDP presidential Primaries, Jonathan was very uneasy until Babangida was out of the race. When Atiku was left in the race, Jonathan became relaxed because victory was now certain. Atiku was an easy case. Exactly the same is playing out with Buhari. Jonathan's relaxed mien suggests that Buhari's CPC is nothing but a paper tiger!!

6)25% in 24 states
Buhari cannot win up to 25% in any of the South South or South East states. That takes 11 states out of the running, leaving him with 25 states to score at least 25% of the votes. Is that a possiblity? I doubt especially given the fact that in the south west, the votes will be split in three between Jonathan, Ribadu and Buhari. Also states like Plateau and Benue would hardly give Buhari 25%. It will be so hard for Buhari to score that 25% in 24 states. That automatically nullifies any numerical victory he wishes he might obtain.

7)Time and Chance
One of the most fundamental principles in life is the Time and Chance principle. Somehow it just appears like this is Goodluck Jonathan's time. Despites many miscalculations on his part, his popularity just doesn't seem to want to go downhill. Whether we like him or not, it looks like he is here to stay at least till 2015.
Same way Obama came and upset the dreams of so many like McCain and Hilary Clinton, so also Jonathan has truncated the life long ambitions of the likes of Babangida, Atiku, Gusau and come April it looks like Buhari will be added to the list of those who have fallen under Jonathan's dream killing sword!![/tr]
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by DisGuy: 11:41pm On Apr 21, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

I can not believe some of the so-called learned Nigerians still dwell in ethnic drivels. It is an unnecessary act of stupidity and disingenuous on the part of author to[b] inject ethnic plight to the essay.[/b] The inclusion of “likeable Otuoke son with Ogbia-Ijaw name like Ebele (that can be confused with Ebel(r)echukwu and nickname Azikwe being the man to vote for, he was a shoo-in”

ethnicity and religion are very important aspect of Nigerian politics/ elections so it's a very valid point!
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by oyewolejos(m): 11:51pm On Apr 21, 2011
ZnO:

Actually, you can be a Prof without a PhD. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are examples. There are others e.gs too.

But dont mind the fake professor Aluko. He is a ''Nigerian Affairs'' professor who left his calling -Chemical Engineering -for ''Dawodu Engineering''. Someone who has not published any scientific article in more than a decade calls himself a prof. Only in Howard University will that happen. And this is the same person Jonathan recently appointed a VC to his Otuoke University? Let ND militants read this, they will decide what to do with him at Otuoke. If he feels this way, why accept an appointment from the same person? Hypocrites, as usual.

I taught Soyinka got an Honorary PHD from Univeristy of Leeds. Am not sure tho
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by ZnO: 12:08am On Apr 22, 2011
oyewolejos:

I taught [/b]Soyinka got an Honorary PHD from Univeristy of Leeds. Am not sure tho

[b]I thought
is the right word

Soyinka, like Achebe, does not have an academic PhD that is ordinarily the basis for a professorship. However, they are so good (in their field) that they are professors, a rank rendered to them by qualified university authorities.

Even today, a few qualified people do get to become professors without having obtained a PhD; but very, very few, mostly ''whizkids'' in their fields.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by ZnO: 12:14am On Apr 22, 2011
On the topic:

1. Can Aluko please list the number of registered voters in all the contentious states and compare same with number of actual voters? Does it show more voters  voted than were registered?

2. How does Aluko determine which election is more important to specific individuals. I may not vote in the senatorial election (because I am simply not interested) but decide to do so in the presidential one (because I am interested).

3. Which election is more important to voters: senatorial (local) or presidential (national)?

4. Can Aluko project that more SWners (for e.g.) will not come out to vote in the upcoming gubernatorial election than did in the presidential election? If that happens to be the case, how will he explain the upsurge of voters, compared to his insinuations in the case of the SE and SS?
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by ektbear: 12:18am On Apr 22, 2011
Dede1, you missed the entire heart of the article and are focusing on minor and irrelevant details. In any case, the quote you quoted and misunderstood is a light joke about the ambiguity of the name "Ebele"  by Aluko, not any ethnic plays. I'm a bit surprised you didn't pick up on it, heh.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by DisGuy: 12:43am On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

On the topic:

1. Can Aluko please list the number of registered voters in all the contentious states and compare same with number of actual voters? Does it show more voters  voted than were registered?

2. How does Aluko determine which election is more important to specific individuals. I may not vote in the senatorial election (because I am simply not interested) but decide to do so in the presidential one (because I am interested).

3. Which election is more important to voters: senatorial (local) or presidential (national)?

4. Can Aluko project that more SWners (for e.g.) will not come out to vote in the upcoming gubernatorial election than did in the presidential election? If that happens to be the case, how will he explain the upsurge of voters, compared to his insinuations in the case of the SE and SS?

1. that system has already been figured out in the previous election, why do you think they lost states in the SW? it will be schoolboy error to repeat the pattern

2. weird

3. local elections are actually more important, why do you think there was a massive turnout all over the country and not just a specific part of the country are you saying those senators are not son of the soil in bayelsa, imo, , senators have direct relationship with the people pf their region than the man in far away abuja, no coincidence the sw didnt give 2 hoots about the presidency

4. No brainer, they have a direct impact on the people than the man in aso rock, why do you think lagosians are more interested in Fashola's dos and donts compared to whats happening in Abuja, whereas people in bayelsa are more interested in the the FG is doing in their region leaving sylvia to play with himself

the person tha t initiates the BRT buses is not in aso rock, the person that initiates the shonga farms is the governor, the person that revamps your local roads and schools is not far away in fancy abuja, more reasons to vote in the gubernatorial elections than the presidential
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by ektbear: 1:58am On Apr 22, 2011
dustydee:

I also observed on saturday that no result was coming in from SS and SE while we were getting results from other parts of the country. Someone jokingly said on nairaland  "CPC has voted, PDP will start voting by 12 midnight"

One of the more densely populated regions in naija, yet for some reason you get election results more quickly from Nassarawa or Borno.

Naija is a very strange country lipsrsealed
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Dede1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 22, 2011
@ Dis Guy, reindeer , ekt_bear

Look pals, I had liked to call a spade a spade. If the learned professor enjoys the play of tribal jokes, he can have his thrills but it is foolhardy on the part of the professor to lecture us to stay above ethnic fray.

The primes of the article repeatedly emphasized the vote for GEJ by certain group of people because of middle name or certain region. I guess the professor failed to adequately represent his academic title in which he deliberately avoided the voting pattern of group of people whose names are mostly Ebel(r)echukwu or Azikiwe. Since the inception of PDP, SE had overwhelmingly voted for presidential candidate of PDP whether the middle name of the flag bearer was Aremu, Musa or Ebele.

When SW decided to vote for chosen son of the soil in 1999, SE voted PDP and the candidate’s name or tribe was not Igbo. In 2003 when SW realized that the previously rejected son of soil could stay at Aso Rock for another term, the zone decided to vote based on tribal sentiments yet the deluded author kept mute. In 2007 the SW almost boycotted the election because no son of the soil was among the contending political party flag bearers. Yet the learned professor did not find it fit to engage in his childish insinuation of tribal binge.

I can not still fathom what gave Aluko the effrontery to slight the people of SE when he remotely engaged in such disingenuous act of ethnic baiting with an article bereft of any historical relevance. Any wise person would have expected a man who sat on the certain apex of knowledge to come up with article full of praises for a region that showed rare political dynamism by staying above tribal shenanigans through the cast of their vote for PDP’s presidential candidates whither their names were Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani or Ijo. Instead, the professor found academic potentiate in melancholic prank in names such as Elelechukwu, Eberechukwu or Azikiwe.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by DisGuy: 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2011
saying African-americans will overwhelmingly vote for barack obama is not racial baiting, whether they generally vote democrats or not

its just a minor point that is actually valid you choose to dwell on

When SW decided to vote for chosen son of the soil in 1999, SE voted PDP and the candidate’s name or tribe was not Igbo. In 2003 when SW realized that the previously rejected son of soil could stay at Aso Rock for another term, the zone decided to vote based on tribal sentiments yet the deluded author kept mute. In 2007 the SW almost boycotted the election because no son of the soil was among the contending political party flag bearers. Yet the learned professor did not find it fit to engage in his childish insinuation of tribal binge.

what, are you saying you read all his article during that period to conclude he didn't say anything?
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Dede1(m): 4:15pm On Apr 22, 2011
Dis Guy:

saying African-americans will overwhelmingly vote for barack obama is not racial baiting, whether they generally vote democrats or not

its just a minor point that is actually valid you choose to dwell on
what, are you saying you read all his article during that period to conclude he didn't say anything?

I have no intention to dwell on the foolish jokes of one Aluko but to draw a contrary. Bolaji Aluko even went further to engage in rascal insinuation that the results of election from SE and SS were withheld leading an undiscerning onlooker to conclude a possible premeditated machination to rig election result from the zones. What a silly postulation.

There is nothing good or educative about article as it is filled with unintelligent innuendos. I guess you were not remotely drawing any similarity between elections in USA and Nigeria.
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by seguno2: 4:22pm On Apr 22, 2011
Aluko's analysis shows that there was country-wide (NE, NW, MB, SW, SE & SS) increase of about 10% in most states from NASS to presidential elections.
This pattern is also noted in the US elections of 2008 and 2010 where Obama was elected in the former and the highest elective office in the latter was governor. 2008 had over 60& turnout compared to over 40% in 2010, representing an increase of 20%. More details available here:

US 2008 data
US 2010 data

The turnout amongst black Americans was massive compared to previous elections for obvious reasons. The same way the turnout among SS and SE people was massive on APril 16, 2011 for someone they considered theirs.
However, some overzealous PDP governors and party chieftains such Imo's Ohakim may have spiced things up especially in the context of their utterances and boats of delivering "over 90% to Jonathan" before the election.
I hope General Buhari goes to court to examine and shame some of these overzealous "deliverers" who cannot improve the lives of their state residents but count on PDP rigging machinery to sustain them in power. Just as the supreme court annuled Ogun state 2003 presidential vote that was about 100% OBJ, there may be some correction arising from the court case.
The key question is that even having adjusted for this exhuberance that may have been exhibited by PDP party stalwarts to inflate figures in the SE & SS, could Jonathan have got less than 50% + one vote generally and 25% in less than 24 states and FCT to force a run-off
Re: On The Matter Of The 2011 Presidential Elections-Professor Mobolaji E.Aluko by Gbenge77(m): 4:20am On Apr 30, 2011
^^^^^^ you couldnt have said it better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Bitter Truth About The Igbo By Femi Fani-kayode / The Shameless Act Of Ikwerre Fathers Towards Igbos / Why Nigeria Is Backward: Mark Zuckerberg Vs Nigeria's ICT Minister - Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.