Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? (38289 Views)

Its Mango Season (see The Wonderful Reasons Why You Need A Mango Everyday) / I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? / Gari And Mango, Is It Dangerous? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by AmeriNaija(f): 2:48am On Apr 21, 2011
For the past months now, I've been taking dry gari and just eating it.  I;m addicted.   I know it's may be strange but i really like it that way and have tried to stop but find it hard to.  Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any health complications to doing this and also, how much carbs does gari have?  would this hinder me in losing weight? (yes, this may be a stupid question, lol)
i eat about half a cup to 2/3 a cup a day.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Fortune4u: 3:59am On Apr 21, 2011
you eat what you desire most I don't think you can change it.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by AmeriNaija(f): 12:08am On Apr 22, 2011
OK, but I would if it is adverse to my health. So that is my question,
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 22, 2011
I've heard garri is fibrous. If you're trying to lose weight, this may be to your benefit since fiber keeps you full longer. You may end up eating less throughout the day. That's all I have to add unfortunately.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by 1STOrder: 8:15am On Apr 23, 2011
You go girl chew your garri wella nothing do you. Remain small for me 0o, me i want drink garri grin
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Pittbaby(f): 6:05pm On May 02, 2011
No just make sure u drink a lot of water afterwards and eat other things to maintain a balance diet . otherwise, you will fight a losing battle with your colon pretty soon if you know what I mean grin

Speaking from experience I went on a garri diet (drinking garri ) I lost weight, but after a few heaving bouts I dumped that idea .
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 02, 2011
^^^^^^

Sounds like you suffered fiber overload lol. Yeah, you probably lost weight because you were eating less. Anything high in one vitamin or mineral and deficient in others is not good. I'm sure if you had garri and other nutrients, you would've been very okay smiley
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by AmeriNaija(f): 8:52pm On May 02, 2011
wow, so garri has lots of fiber in it?? i thought it was mostly carbs,
currently i'm trying to lessen my garri intake from everyday t every other day and i will heed in drinking lots of water.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by umo77: 11:44pm On May 26, 2011
Men, i thot i was alone in this habit. it's good to know that people out there do it. i would like to know about this garri diet sha, never heard of it
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 26, 2011
IM just imaging how you look!!
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by CrazyMan(m): 12:22am On May 27, 2011
Keep chewing nothing would happen to you.

But if I’m to advice, I would suggest that you add a sachet of pure water, sugar, milk and groundnut to your next meal; in this way we’ll know that you’ve re-branded your favorite diet. This I feel is much better than chewing it raw which looks rather boring.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Tugbaski: 12:33am On May 27, 2011
Mehn, Times are hard mehn, Nurin do u, lol
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by okemmadu(m): 12:43am On May 27, 2011
Garri contain Cyanide acid which may not be good for ur eyes if u eat it dry everyday.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by nwaafo1: 12:46am On May 27, 2011
this habit has now become a part of my sister's life, she can even go a full day without eating once she is having her garri, even my Aunty also does it(she even takes it to her office with a small waterproof)
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by drossy(m): 12:50am On May 27, 2011
@amerinaija, im in jersey! pls where can i get correct lip smacking garri!! the ones i see are terrible!!
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Kilode1: 12:54am On May 27, 2011
AmeriNaija:

For the past months now, I've been taking dry gari and just eating it.  I;m addicted.   I know it's may be strange but i really like it that way and have tried to stop but find it hard to.  Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any health complications to doing this and also, how much carbs does gari have?  would this hinder me in losing weight? (yes, this may be a silly question, lol)
i eat about half a cup to 2/3 a cup a day.

It is ok. Try to add Eja Oku-eko(mackarel, smoked) or Fried Tilapia for a more balanced diet.

Or you can sprinkle some sun dried groundnut(peanut) or simply grill your favourite meat (Beef, Chicken, Turkey) eat with the garri as protein.

Keep eating that Gaari my sister, it goes to the right places on a woman's body, and when you get tired of chewing dry gaari, add hot water, make some Eba and order some Okro, Edikaikong or correct Egusi soup.

You are Ok cool

1 Like

Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by lepasharon(f): 1:27am On May 27, 2011
i use 2 do dat my aunty said it dries u up
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by lailai2(m): 1:54am On May 27, 2011
damn, i do that a lot, . . .i do it before i go to bed, anytime, an aunt of mine does it too. . . . i have also wondered about the health repercussions and i have decided to try to stop it gradually cos u never know these days
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by endmoll(m): 2:03am On May 27, 2011
I need that garri over here in MD,the last trip i made to 9ija it was the only product that kept my body cool when ever i come home with some dried fish.
At school back in those days garri was the saviour because it was used in every part of our daily meal. But there was a news that was flying around then that it can cause blindness.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by kabukabu50(m): 2:41am On May 27, 2011
Garri wont make you blind but darn mix it up,thats too many carbs at once, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Beans,vegetables,fruits, you gotta at least balance your meals.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by ghostmaile: 4:30am On May 27, 2011
how did this make the front page?
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by ObamaUS: 5:29am On May 27, 2011
When the thing block ur yansh,u go stop
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Egbagirl(f): 6:23am On May 27, 2011
I love my garri die!!!!!!! hahah I have garri almost everyday! w some meat or gnuts tho. Every time I go home, I cannot rreturn w.o garri. Basically, cant survive w.o it.

But as per eating it dry, hmm I dunno o. maybe once in while but I doubt it is healthy. nothing eaten dry like that is usually good.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by babaowo: 6:45am On May 27, 2011
you should try and add dried pepper powder to give you perfect shape, onijekuje when you are eating too much of burger don't you know d resultlol dry garri eh! Dry garry yeh!!!
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by ghostmaile: 6:53am On May 27, 2011
egba giirl. you are not serious
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by shagaman: 7:05am On May 27, 2011
Adding Kulikuli would to a lot of good with very cold water especially for hot afternoon,
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by OWOLAYEMO: 7:13am On May 27, 2011
Garri is a delicacy. The Ijebus without exception will testify to that!!!!
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by InkedNerd(f): 8:02am On May 27, 2011
@OP: Omg, you sound like my garri twin. I should call BABE! to come see this thread. She loves garri too. Anyway, I do the same thing you do with garri. It's gotten to the point where my family has started to hide the garri. I've been contemplating on going to the African terminal market just to buy some more. I wouldn't say my LOVE for garri is an addiction, I'd say it's more of a deep passion lol. I know it sounds crazy but I just love garri in general whether dry or wet. From what I know, garri has a lot of starch in it so unless your burning it off like crazy [Hehehe, its a good thing I work out] it's probably not a good idea to consume it in such large quantities.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Ekpoma1: 8:28am On May 27, 2011
Thats was my favorite while in sch(uni). Did i say my favorite? Lol. I drunk garri coupled with groundnu alot then. Yummy! Garri does the magic 2 cool ones head when weed has taken supremacy.
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by Biscute(f): 8:37am On May 27, 2011
Be eating it because u desire it but beware of eyesight .
Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by emofine(f): 8:43am On May 27, 2011
well garri is healthy but everything is good when it's done in moderation, me sef I chop idomie tire as I'm typing now na idomie wey fill my belle

1 Like

Re: I Eat Dry Gari Everyday. Is This Healthy? by md4real(m): 8:50am On May 27, 2011
are you sure its not some cheap cracks you are mistaken for garri?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Calabar Place: A Pan-african Restaurant Launched In The Heart Of Nairobi Kenya / Cockroach Inside Shawarmer / Egg Stew And Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.