Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,138 members, 7,835,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable (645 Views)

Man Laments Destruction Of His Plantain Farm By Fulani Herdsmen In Ekiti (Video) / Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by domack99(m): 5:58pm On Apr 21, 2021
Just got thinking about this two Musa specie in terms of their economic profitability.

Plantain seems to be seasonal in profit but makes lot of sense during it's off season. Don't know much about banana but seems to be more of staple/fruit, which means that banana price is like make sense all year.

Will appreciate the opinions of plantain and banana farmers.
Re: Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by Freestainworld(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2021
They are both the same, you can even combine them in your plantation, though I prefer plantain plantation
Re: Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by nurey(m): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2021
domack99:
Just got thinking about this two Musa specie in terms of their economic profitability.

Plantain seems to be seasonal in profit but makes lot of sense during it's off season. Don't know much about banana but seems to be more of staple/fruit, which means that banana price is like make sense all year.

Will appreciate the opinions of plantain and banana farmers.

Normally both have advantage over each other but plantain is better than banana in Nigeria.

Banana could be turned into seasoning for ice cream, cakes, confectionery uses in sweets and biscuits. In the drinks sector as a flavour too.

Plantain can be sold raw or dried and milled into flour or made into plantain chips and packaged for better profit.

Depending on which one you wanna go for. BUNCH TO BUNCH banana command more than plantain because it has more fingers than an average plantain
Re: Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by domack99(m): 6:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
nurey:

Normally both have advantage over each other but plantain is better than banana in Nigeria.

Banana could be turned into seasoning for ice cream, cakes, confectionery uses in sweets and biscuits. In the drinks sector as a flavour too.

Plantain can be sold raw or dried and milled into flour or made into plantain chips and packaged for better profit.

Depending on which one you wanna go for. BUNCH TO BUNCH banana command more than plantain because it has more fingers than an average plantain

The bolded part is one of the reason I consider banana to be more profitable since you have more bunch to sell than plantain. But I know most times it's a different ball game in reality
Re: Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by Solsix(m): 7:02pm On Apr 21, 2021
Banana is expensive and not too common
Re: Banana Vs Plantain Farm - Which Is More Profitable by nurey(m): 8:45am On Apr 22, 2021
domack99:

The bolded part is one of the reason I consider banana to be more profitable since you have more bunch to sell than plantain. But I know most times it's a different ball game in reality

like the local one I planted in Lagos, it brings out like 8 finger bunch. if you sell each finger 200 that's 1600 for a whole bunch.

I buy plantain here in Benin for 500 per bunch sometimes if very big and bulky I buy around 800 to 1k for personal use oooo.

banana in Lagos is around 300 to 400 and he dey move especially people chopping it with groundnut

(1) (Reply)

The Strange Creature I Came Across / Goats and AMO point of laying Noilers Are For Sale / Guinea Pigs Available For Sale In Ph Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.